AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-02-27, 12:01   Link #421
Knightmare213

Crap it all!!! Bad news from GameTrailers.com...

Sony Denies the Rumour of Price Drop

After reading this interview, my faith on Sony took a huge hit. They believe that rumble feature on controllers "were so last generation" and they don't have any plans to introduce any rumble on future PS3 controllers. What Sony believes is that motion sensitivity is the future. Anyone agree or disagree?

Also, Harrison, one of the exec of Sony, believes that he feels no pressure to drop the price and is very comfortable with the marketing plan.

You might be, Mr. Sony...but what about the rest of the middle-classed consumers wanting a PS3?
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 12:13   Link #422
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

What did you expect them to say? "We made a mistake and we're going to pay Immersion" ?? And I don't think a price drop would be coming any time soon. Even taking out the ps2 chip in the ps3 only saves them what, 30-50 dollars? Great, they'll only make a loss of 150 then.

In all honesty, I'd expect them to actually stop making such a huge loss before they do any price drop.

And btw, this means wii is the future ^_^

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 12:22   Link #423
Lebron
I hear voices

Can't really say on the motion sensitivity remark, you can only wait and see what happens, really.

In Harrison's case, he pretty much has to say those type of things, really. Their console just released, so coming out saying we need a price drop and were not confident with our marketing plan, is pretty much sending up a red flag to their stock holders, and fans, in general.

They just have a bigger hill to climb this time around, both Microsoft and Nintendo are doing well, and all 3 bring a lot of good things to the table.

Owellz, too much thinking about it, just wait and see. So, how bout that VF5? Pretty good stuff, been playing it like a crack addicted baby as of late

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-02-27 at 12:41.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 13:02   Link #424
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Hmm... sadly I have no one to play it against. I really wanted it to have online play. I've played it twice since last week. It gets repetitive if you're always up against cpu. It's like "Oh wow, it's you again."

It's a great game, just boring without the ass whooping shit talking.
True, lucky for me I have people to play against, so its awesome. But yea, I had the same issue with VF4 when it first released, no one would play with me
Freaking Fanboy Tekken friends

Sega needs to put in an online mode. I don't care what BS they pull out their ass. Some piece of online mode is better than none. They can simply put it in to cater to the other population who aren't hardcore fans, and don't have friends around that will play VF with them. And if the hardcore fans don't like it, its real easy, don't freaking go into online mode then. There problem solved. Everybody is happy.

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-02-27 at 13:14.
Old 2007-02-27, 14:57   Link #425
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
True, lucky for me I have people to play against, so its awesome. But yea, I had the same issue with VF4 when it first released, no one would play with me
Freaking Fanboy Tekken friends

Sega needs to put in an online mode. I don't care what BS they pull out their ass. Some piece of online mode is better than none. They can simply put it in to cater to the other population who aren't hardcore fans, and don't have friends around that will play VF with them. And if the hardcore fans don't like it, its real easy, don't freaking go into online mode then. There problem solved. Everybody is happy.
Online hurts Arcades. Even in Japan it would hurt thier arcade sales. So its pretty easy for them to say why it wouldnt work lol
Old 2007-02-27, 15:11   Link #426
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
Online hurts Arcades. Even in Japan it would hurt thier arcade sales. So its pretty easy for them to say why it wouldnt work lol
Yeah I figured that was the main case. You know what also hurts arcade sales? Choosing to only freaking rent your VF5 cabinets, and not releasing any outside of Japan. But, thats Sega for you
Old 2007-02-27, 15:12   Link #427
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213 View Post
Crap it all!!! Bad news from GameTrailers.com...

Sony Denies the Rumour of Price Drop

After reading this interview, my faith on Sony took a huge hit. They believe that rumble feature on controllers "were so last generation" and they don't have any plans to introduce any rumble on future PS3 controllers. What Sony believes is that motion sensitivity is the future. Anyone agree or disagree?

Also, Harrison, one of the exec of Sony, believes that he feels no pressure to drop the price and is very comfortable with the marketing plan.

You might be, Mr. Sony...but what about the rest of the middle-classed consumers wanting a PS3?
Yeah....one of the reasons I went ahead and got a PS3 so early was because I was pretty certain the price wasn't dropping any time soon.

As far as rumble, I've actually noticed that I APPRECIATE the absence of it. No longer do I have to worry about the controller getting jiggy with my furniture when I put it down during cutscenes. I never felt that the immersive effect was that strong anyway. And the sixaxis motion sensing aspect worked pretty well for flOw...so it will be quite interesting to see how Lair turns out.
Old 2007-02-27, 16:19   Link #428
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
You guys heard Tetsuya Nomura is retiring from his director position of the Final Fantasy series after FFXIII Versus and hopping on to the KH bandwagon. They said he's not gonna start KH3 until FFXIII V is finished.

Looks like a long wait for KH3.
Yeah, I read that earlier today.

Long wait for KH3 confirmed, also sounds like it will indeed be on the PS3, going by what he was saying
Old 2007-02-28, 18:49   Link #429
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Some interesting stuff about the PS3 version of The Darkness (which is really shaping up nicely); since the Blu-Ray's storage capacity is so high, the developers aren't wasting any bit of it, apparently. There will be televisions scattered throughout the game that will be playing full-length feature movies, TV shows, and cartoons on different channels.

Pretty neat little feature, even if it's only a novelty. Be sure to check out www.gametrailers.com for the developer interviews (with plenty of new game footage). Heart eating ftw D:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1762
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 19:08   Link #430
Knightmare213

From the same site that brought you the price cut rumour, here's another story of when Sony predicts that they'll reduce the price.

Sony Predicts PS3 Price Will Not be Cut Until...
Old 2007-02-28, 19:45   Link #431
Lebron
I hear voices

Yeah, the Darkness is going to own. Starbreeze knows what they're doing
I myself will get the 360 version, but its nice that they are giving the PS3 version more TV shows, Movies, etc, than the 360 version. Blu-Ray comes in handy there.

Also, I hope that news does not come to pass, Knightmare
Old 2007-02-28, 22:56   Link #432
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
Also, I hope that news does not come to pass, Knightmare
Believe it or not, I was actually surprised to see that the price won't go down until 2009. Now, Sony said that they will probably lower the manufacturing cost by outsourcing.

That's just that; Sony is merely outsourcing, and they didn't find another method to create the same quality product, if not better, but just at the difference place there the wage is lower. Why do you think most of the stuff we own is made from China or other third-world countries (I'm not sure China is still a third-world country though).

So, to get back to the point, and to explain my surprise, I thought the price wouldn't go down until 2012 due to PS3's ability for longevity than any other consoles (as for the predicting the year 2012, don't ask please because it was more of a hunch). Not only that, as everyone knows, PS3 is basically built with brand new technology. And new technology doesn't come around cheap at first.
Old 2007-03-02, 16:59   Link #433
Knightmare213

March is here! And it comes with two good PS3 news (one for the entire world and one for the Europeans).

News Number One

News Number Two
Old 2007-03-02, 22:31   Link #434
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213 View Post
March is here! And it comes with two good PS3 news (one for the entire world and one for the Europeans).

News Number One

News Number Two
I really do not know if either are really good news

They said 1000games are playable. Yet according to neogaf that is something like 40%. A far cry from the 98% in the other models

And if they do add in rumble to new controllers...What about the previous owners?

I would say the good news is The playstation home except Sony is really being a ***** about that. It seemed like that was going to be thier big surprize yet since they have a leak. They decide to blackball kotaku for just reporting what thier leak said.

And remember about price drops. It does not matter if Sony wants it to drop or not. If sales decline it will drop.
Old 2007-03-02, 23:06   Link #435
Knightmare213

Quote:
And remember about price drops. It does not matter if Sony wants it to drop or not. If sales decline it will drop.
As opposed of being a pessimist as I am always here in and real life, I'll be an optimist on this one.

From this point on, and if Sony keeps listening to their consumers instead of their greedy side (just merely assuming without any strong or weak evidence about the greedy side), the sales will go up. After all, I think all business, legitimate or not, depend on three important words: "Supply and Demand."

The removal of the rumble feature was criticized and often seen as something of a controversial move from Sony. Some people may have been turned off because the SIXAXIS controller won't have the rumble feature. Now, Sony says that they will. How many people will turned their head and decides to save up money for PS3 once more? We'll know in the future.

Also, there is absolutely no certainty that Sony will drop the price tag on the PS3 even if the sales drop. They are already losing money over the "over-priced dust collector." If they further lower the price before they are ready to, Sony will have to face losses that not even the PS2 and their TV sales won't be able to compensate.

I'm pretty much confident (as my often-suppressed optimistic side speaks again) that Sony wants to drop the price to boost their sales. It's probably what everyone wants, save for the fanboys and Sony's rivals. However, even if the sale numbers fall, I have a feeling that Sony won't drop the price. In fact, they may just shut down completely.

One last thing: about the older models of SIXAXIS, Sony may initiate a trade-in deal. "If you trade in your old SIXAXIS controller, we'll give half (or more or for free) off the price to by our new RUMBLEAXIS controllers!" Until Sony announces what they'll do, only thing we can do is just speculate.
Old 2007-03-03, 02:09   Link #436
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
I really do not know if either are really good news

They said 1000games are playable. Yet according to neogaf that is something like 40%. A far cry from the 98% in the other models

And if they do add in rumble to new controllers...What about the previous owners?

I would say the good news is The playstation home except Sony is really being a ***** about that. It seemed like that was going to be thier big surprize yet since they have a leak. They decide to blackball kotaku for just reporting what thier leak said.

It's good news when you consider this amazing "rumor":
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=14825

Quote:
Details from Phil Harrison- Sony Computer Worldwide Studios
Keynote at GDC March 7th 2007:

Anouncements:

Firmware update available on the 8th for North America/Japan and Asia. European PS3's will be preloaded with this latest update.

Features of this latest firmware include:

More refined PS Store frontend
Playstation Network integrity enhanced
Wallpapers from pictures
Ability to change background colours
Sony Connect Store for music and movies added to the PS Store. Hundreds of trailers/full films/song videos and mps3's available for download.
Playstation Card option in PS Store enabled.
Playstation Lifestyle- Similar to my space/youtube. User generated content and experiences are the key.
+ more.

Removal of Emotion Engine chips in PS3's in NA and Japan to follow in April. Reason for this is to reduce costs and focus on enhanced opportunities via software. Benefits include the ability to upscale selected PSone/PS2 games to 1080i/720p.

Lots of development talk.
Release dates for key games. Warhawk in June/July 2007. Heavenly Sword delayed. Killzone and MGS4 in late 2007.

New content on PS Store available on the 8th:

Tekken 6 trailer
Lair demo & trailer
Rainbow Six Vegas demo
EA: Skate trailer
Battlefield Bad Company trailer
Warhawk demo
Virtua Fighter 5 demo
Virtua Tennis 3 demo & trailer
GRAW 2: trailer
Mortal Kombat 2 game
Killzone trailer

Killzone demo for May.

More details. Stay tuned on the 7th.
Honestly seems quite real to me. Upscaling of PS2 games to 1080p? Aww hell yeahs. God of War plz.

Honestly, there's really nothing but good news for the PS3 coming.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 02:54   Link #437
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I heard that after a lengthy phone conversation, the dispute was settled and they're on OK terms again.
Old 2007-03-03, 08:19   Link #438
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Sony cannot cut the price at this early stage in the game. It is financially impossible for them. I'm surprised there is so much confusion on this topic. Sony is already selling the PS3 at a loss. Probably as much as they can afford, to get their console out and into homes so that they can make the real money through games. That is how Sony has worked pretty much since they made their big splash into the game market.

Even if the PS3 is faltering in the market, Sony cannot afford to cut the price for a sustained period of time, whether they want to or not. Sega was in a very similar position with the Saturn. People considered it too expensive and Sega eventually asked retailers to sell the console at a loss, that didn't go over well.

Of course, Sony will drop the price as soon as they are able, unless they find themselves in a commanding lead of the market.
Old 2007-03-03, 08:36   Link #439
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
meh. you ps3 owner should be happy...your getting
"PS3 HOME"

It's Online Mii's but in a "Home"

oh yay!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/rumor-...ome-240746.php
Old 2007-03-03, 09:06   Link #440
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I wonder how much a trade-in deal for SIXAXIS controllers would cost Sony and whether they would even consider such a deal.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony