Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-29, 06:23   Link #1061
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Problem with comparing Bleach and Naruto is that both series have yet to be resolved. Sakura is still infatuated with Sasuke and while Kishimoto has toyed with the idea of romance between Naruto and Sakura, he's also made clear that from chapter one, Sakura has been fixated on one guy. This third wheel is mostly illusionary or possible, but never quite materialises from my experience. We simply don't know if Rukia's feelings for Ichigo are romantic, and that's what Kubo will play on to keep the triangle breathing. To keep a love triangle energetic in a shonen, the author has to be deliberatly equivocal and ambiguous. If there really is any romance in Bleach or Naruto, it will be towards the very end. In that sense, it might be unwise to compare two unfinished products.

I don't know about you, but I have yet to see a proper love triagle in a popular shonen manga. I agree that all it takes is Rukia showing some romantic interest and it's game over for Orihime, but that's a huge step to take for Kubo. He'll be going into unnatural territory for a shounen which has now resorted to back-to-back fights.
Old 2008-10-29, 06:41   Link #1062
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Problem with comparing Bleach and Naruto is that both series have yet to be resolved. Sakura is still infatuated with Sasuke and while Kishimoto has toyed with the idea of romance between Naruto and Sakura, he's also made clear that from chapter one, Sakura has been fixated on one guy. This third wheel is mostly illusionary or possible, but never quite materialises from my experience. We simply don't know if Rukia's feelings for Ichigo are romantic, and that's what Kubo will play on to keep the triangle breathing. To keep a love triangle energetic in a shonen, the author has to be deliberatly equivocal and ambiguous. If there really is any romance in Bleach or Naruto, it will be towards the very end. In that sense, it might be unwise to compare two unfinished products.

I don't know about you, but I have yet to see a proper love triagle in a popular shonen manga.

Yeah, I know, I was aware of the "flaws" of that comparison but like I said I just brought it up for the sake of discussion. Both series are two of the most popular anime/manga series to date and both are still not finished yet so we're free to speculate of how they will turn out.

Personally, I would prefer if there weren't any love angles in both series. There's already too much going on in their plots that adding romance would further complicate things. I wouldn't be surprised if Bleach ended up with both Rukia and Orihime by his side with them neither being more than friends he couldn't live without. Both are essential to the story and both are important to Ichigo as a character. Orihime has always been his biggest supporter, she will die fighting by his side if she has to. And Rukia has always been and will always be the person he could trust the most and who understands him the most that without her he seems lost. I actually like their relationships as is. I hope it stays that way.
Old 2008-10-29, 07:02   Link #1063
Kakashi
カカシ

Well, we could compare Bleach to Dragonball Z... in which Goku frequently abandoned his wife to go have fights. Ichigo loves to fight as much or more than Goku, so I see a similar fate for whoever becomes his wife.

As for me, I'm hoping for some romance between Ichigo and Orihime. Partly to see if Kubo is balsy enough to push foward with what he started in chapter 237 or if he'll fall back in line...but mostly because I enjoy their interaction (it's sweet and cute). Of course by now I fully understand how popular Ichigo and Rukia is and that I'm rooting for the underdog, at least in terms of popularity. Although I guess both are underdogs in this genre.
Old 2008-10-29, 07:44   Link #1064
ronin myael
lost ronin

I guess if I have to choose between Rukia and Orihime, I'd pick Rukia. While you might like the sweetness in Ichigo and Orihime's interaction, I kind of like the rough and casual interaction between Ichigo and Rukia. They make me laugh. I like it when they bicker and act all violent. I've known quite a few real couples that started out as "fighting buddies", turns out it was all foreplay. It's called flirting by bickering. They may fight and argue like crazy but when it comes down to it, they both care for one another (whether it's just platonic or romantic).
Old 2008-10-29, 14:05   Link #1065
Utsukushii Hono'o
Banned

Location: Currently stalking, Evil Rick, Larthak, Malin, Kholdstare, lv23, as always Endrance.anafewothrs
*Positions self in thread brandishes full artillery*

I will protect thread from Omeada/Soi Fon!
Old 2008-10-29, 15:41   Link #1066
Scarlett_Rain55

I thought Matsumoto's quote about Ichigo needing both of them leaned a lot more toward Orihime's side! Rukia being the friend he can trust, and Orihime being the girl he can love. <3

Oh it's so romantic! <3
Old 2008-10-29, 16:25   Link #1067
Utsukushii Hono'o
Banned

Location: Currently stalking, Evil Rick, Larthak, Malin, Kholdstare, lv23, as always Endrance.anafewothrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett_Rain55 View Post
I thought Matsumoto's quote about Ichigo needing both of them leaned a lot more toward Orihime's side! Rukia being the friend he can trust, and Orihime being the girl he can love. <3

Oh it's so romantic! <3

She said in a nutshell "Don't beat yourself up because you can't be to him what Rukia is. You can still be someone important to him. A friend! You are really cool because you aren't a hateful petty bitch about it. Dry your eyes! That is still love" (Just not in love)

Really that is what she meant...

I have seen proper love triangles. Then I have seen it's obvious ..."You will never get him"

Absolute Boyfriend by Yuu Watase. has the best one. Either guy is WIN! (They are both hot as all fuck!) neither one is better for her than other. In the end everyone gets what they want anyway. It's a Shoujo but just like FGY. It won't matter. The only Manga I ever saw where the guy was not bound by Anime law of "Uninteruptable Metamorphosis" READ IT NAO! (If you haven't)

You know what's funny. I love IchiRuki but only because it's clear Ichigo is in love with Rukia. Orihime's will never come to fruition.

I don't like Orihime that much. that's putting mildly

But I really like Ulquihime! I find them the most romantic of the two although IchiRuki is my OTP. Weird huh?
Old 2008-10-29, 17:56   Link #1068
Scarlett_Rain55

Well do you honestly think Kubo intended for Matsumoto to mean that? I mean he isn't really a writer that makes us dig deep especially for romance, what's there is there! No hidden or secret message to it.

Last edited by Scarlett_Rain55; 2008-10-29 at 18:06.
Old 2008-10-30, 01:31   Link #1069
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Well do you honestly think Kubo intended for Matsumoto to mean that? I mean he isn't really a writer that makes us dig deep especially for romance, what's there is there! No hidden or secret message to it.
I do... It makes complete sense and I'm not just saying that because I don't ship Orihime x Ichigo. I don't know why it's so hard for people to see what's staring them in the face. There is nothing wrong with Orhime's position as a friend who is important to Ichigo. Sometimes that's more important than being a romantic interest.
Old 2008-10-30, 01:42   Link #1070
Utsukushii Hono'o
Banned

Quote:
what's there is there!.
What isn't ...ISN'T! (That would be your team)

Quote:
No hidden or secret message to it
Right back at ya...

Old 2008-10-30, 07:21   Link #1071
Le_Rukia

Location: I am living life and having a ball ... wondering why Lent isn't two weeks vs 8
Send a message via MSN to Le_Rukia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
I do... It makes complete sense and I'm not just saying that because I don't ship Orihime x Ichigo. I don't know why it's so hard for people to see what's staring them in the face. There is nothing wrong with Orhime's position as a friend who is important to Ichigo. Sometimes that's more important than being a romantic interest.
I have to agree here, go back and look at this....

Spoiler for Manga 317 pg 19:

I feel, " I hope" Orihime is accepting her relationship with her friends all of them, especially Ichigo... but we will see as the amine plays it out...
Old 2008-10-30, 11:15   Link #1072
Syphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post

I don't know about you, but I have yet to see a proper love triagle in a popular shonen manga. I agree that all it takes is Rukia showing some romantic interest and it's game over for Orihime, but that's a huge step to take for Kubo. He'll be going into unnatural territory for a shounen which has now resorted to back-to-back fights.
We don't see deliberate romantic interest, but we see hesitation and ambivalence, which suggests to us that Kubo is either teasing us or building a foundation for later use.
Old 2008-10-30, 11:29   Link #1073
Utsukushii Hono'o
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphen View Post
We don't see deliberate romantic interest, but we see hesitation and ambivalence, which suggests to us that Kubo is either teasing us or building a foundation for later use.
Wow seriously? I thought it was "oblivion" due to "lack of interest"

Real clever how he used Orihime to portray those two ...

KT is one hell of writer! He can draw too...
Old 2008-10-30, 12:04   Link #1074
Le_Rukia

Location: I am living life and having a ball ... wondering why Lent isn't two weeks vs 8
Send a message via MSN to Le_Rukia
Quote:
I think you have something here, there is has not been any romantic interest expressed from either Rukia or Ichigio, either with each other or with anyone else. They are usually blindsided by these type of interactions when presented, by others (Orihime, Renji, ETC) hence the comedy.

These two reallly are aware of nothing but friendship and the love of Kicking Butt.
Old 2008-10-30, 12:10   Link #1075
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
Again, in this type of manga, I don't think subtilities mean much. For IchiRuki, the following things have to happen:

- Orihime getting over her feelings for Ichigo.
- Rukia's character to tie back in with Aizen's. The pot driver.

Then this foundation can be of use. Right now it's there but disconnected.
Old 2008-10-31, 22:50   Link #1076
Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius

Send a message via Yahoo to Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius
KenpachixUnohana
HirakoxHiyori
MahiroxKessei
Old 2008-10-31, 23:03   Link #1077
Scarlett_Rain55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsukushii Hono'o View Post
Wow seriously? I thought it was "oblivion" due to "lack of interest"

Real clever how he used Orihime to portray those two ...

KT is one hell of writer! He can draw too...
Eww Kubo is not a good writer, don't ever say that!
Old 2008-11-01, 00:51   Link #1078
Syphen

Quote:
Eww Kubo is not a good writer, don't ever say that!
Quoted for Truth.
Old 2008-11-01, 02:14   Link #1079
Nikusu

Send a message via AIM to Nikusu Send a message via MSN to Nikusu
I concur. Kubo's art is nice to look at though and Bleach has a fairly good story for a shonen action manga that's over 100 chapters. It fails at times just because every single character gets their moment and to be honest, I could care less about half the cast.
Old 2008-11-01, 07:03   Link #1080
Scarlett_Rain55

He's artsy I can give you that. But the only reason I got into Bleach was because of it's hot character designs. Otherwise, I could care less about the plot!
Closed Thread