Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-11, 12:46   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 535 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:59   Link #2
ZeroForever

really short summary would be

luffy, buggy and mr.3 all get pwned.

Luffy's bazooka was enough to stagger Magellan but apparently his poison is really that strong that even just hitting his hands it takes luffy out. Magellan then bathes lufy in the poison apparently.

lvl 5 is apparently the frozen hell.

Mr.2 saves buggy and mr.3 and takes out/replaces Hannyabal to get around the area and made a oath to save luffy.

Bon Clay's really been stealing the spotlight though with his fruit he's the ideal person to run around.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:07   Link #3
Blackbeard D. Kuma

You know what, I'm glad that Luffy got owned. I knew that his recklessness would get him another miserable loss on his record. He just hasn't learned anything from his prior defeats that resulted from an absence of planning and strategy. It's as if Oda has been reading my mind and has the exact same sentiments as I do. Oh well. I'm happy with this outcome because I knew that it wouldn't be feasible for Luffy to save Ace all by himself. It's time for him to get imprisoned and undergo some torture all due to his stupidity.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:08   Link #4
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Well, It's occured to me that Luffy should encounter a lot of problems in this arc or One Piece will be recieving too many granted character pass throughs.

We should put aside the Haki revelation when considering Luffy's strength right now since he is unable to efficiently harness it. Luffy is pretty much at the same tier that he was during the CP9 arc...which isn't bad!! Not at all: he's super strong.

But his new opponents are going to be all pretty much legends, each in his own right. And on a whole new level. The manga seem to be revving up for some of th emost powerful Logia fruits that we'll see in the whole of One Piece.

We could say that Luffy is strong, but I want to see him undergo some trauma for this arc. And I mean real life and death, split second moments where it all comes down to that one reflex, or that just barely made it alive chance.

I think that someone crucial should die. While not as bad as Bleach, one Piece's sparing of good/nice characters is unrealistic. In real life, fate won't blink an eye if it sees a two year old in the path of a speeding lorry. Fate cares nothing for innocence, or good deeds. We should see the cruelty and sheer reality of life, and the brutality of death.

While One Piece's happy, laissez faire scene is uplifting, it can also become exasperating.

Do NOT forget that these are PIRATES!!! They are wanted, renegade criminals, who are running from the law, and being dogged at every port, and chased within an inch of their freedom.

The Strawhat Crew moves around TOO FREELY!!!

What of care for one's life, and even worse, for those with bounties, staying low?

All that aside...I think I'm hungry...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:12   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

@holypanl - I completely agree with what you've said. Someone significant does need to die, and it needs to happen in the present time. Whitebeard anyone?
Old 2009-03-11, 13:19   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You know what, I'm glad that Luffy got owned. I knew that his recklessness would get him another miserable loss on his record. He just hasn't learned anything from his prior defeats that resulted from an absence of planning and strategy. It's as if Oda has been reading my mind and has the exact same sentiments as I do. Oh well. I'm happy with this outcome because I knew that it wouldn't be feasible for Luffy to save Ace all by himself. It's time for him to get imprisoned and undergo some torture all due to his stupidity.
Agreed. Luffy will, hopefully, be placed in a cell with Ace or with Crocodile, in either case the aforementioned individuals will admonish Luffy for his recklessness, and, hopefully, impart some words of wisdom to Luffy resulting further character growth. Because, Luffy and his crew cannot survive the trials ahead in their current states. They do not only need to physically mature, they also must mentally, and a little spiritually, mature.

I still stand by what I said a year ago: Ace needs to die. Whitebeard dying is great and all, but that doesn't necesarily impact Luffy in any way (besides seeing his brother cry), but if Ace were to die...then the story will really heat up.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:27   Link #7
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
@holypanl - I completely agree with what you've said. Someone significant does need to die, and it needs to happen in the present time. Whitebeard anyone?
PERFECTLY good choice. Between him and who I was originally thinking of (Boa Hancock would have a tremendous impact if she died without actively getting involved. Luffy needs to understand that his recklessness can and WILL cause DEATH to those around him), I can't decide.

But I don't think Whitebeard should die as a model for "Whitebeard the Great!!" but rather "The Whitebeard, a pirate who was executed by the World Government."

If you catch my drift, he should depicted as mortal, and as WHAT HE IS: a running, fleeing, powerful, but renegade criminal from the LAW. He should serve as a reality check for the pirates in the world. Whitebeard couldn't escape from the law...so what about somebody like those weaklings in East Blue?

The LAW, WHETHER OR NOT in the hands of righteous is ALWAYS to be depicted as a well oiled, emotionless machine, that rewards those ON ITS SIDE (note that I didn't say it rewards the righteous), and punishes those against it. The Law is insurmountable barrier that has existed THROUGHOUT human existence.

For SO MANY people to be walking around with bounties...and not in any way seeming to be in fear of containment...is very disheartening, since it seems that the Marine is a generally powerless organization, where only the Top rungs can ever really do anything.

But that's isn't really so bad, since, if the Mangaka does it right, this could be a good plot device. Weak Marines could cause Pirates to flood out entire small countries, and overpower the Marines there, and oppress the natives. We don't see this anywhere in OP. the Marines are always presented as competent. Yet they don't live up to this.

And then there's this point about...I mean...it just occurred to me: Why are there SO MANY PEOPLE with BOUNTIES??? I has lessened the effect of what a bounty means.

I mean: in real life, if you heard that:

"That guy over there in the trench coat. Looks normal, right?"
"Yea. What's wrong wit 'im?"
"..." *Lowers voice* "The United States Government, together with the United Nations have formally placed a US$50,000,000 bounty on his head, and he is armed and dangerous."

Read that and imagine the feeling you would get. Now think about the first 50 or so chapters of One Piece where people with Bounties, no matter what size, had a certain mystique...and realize that it has worn off.

It's become so bad that just the bare fact that "This human being has an international bounty on his head" isn't enough to rep a character anymore. Now it has to be: "WOW!!! That guy has a bounty of 200,000,000!!!" before it means anything significant.

Lord...I'm rationalizing it too much...lol

Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;

Then they came for me!
Old 2009-03-11, 13:37   Link #8
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I always had a feeling like how easy it is to get in and save someone in impel down since this eposides started.Luffy is clearly underestimating World Goverment and I hope this will be a good lesson for him.Thats my Impel Dawn Warden! Kick his rubber a%&!

This is quite a serious situation since it will simply kick Shanks out of war games if WG somehow manages to learn the friendship between Shanks and Luffy.

Quote:
Mr.2 saves buggy and mr.3 and takes out/replaces Hannyabal to get around the area and made a oath to save luffy.

Bon Clay's really been stealing the spotlight though with his fruit he's the ideal person to run around.
That means that he somehow got a touch of Hannybal His ability is useful since he got himself a hannybal camouflage now.He can get a touch even with Magellan to save Luffy.

Quote:
A laughing Blackbeard killing Whitebeard while everyone from the lowest marine to Sengoku/Shanks watching in a shocked state...It will eventually happen anyway
Old 2009-03-11, 13:38   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Agreed. Luffy will, hopefully, be placed in a cell with Ace or with Crocodile, in either case the aforementioned individuals will admonish Luffy for his recklessness, and, hopefully, impart some words of wisdom to Luffy resulting further character growth. Because, Luffy and his crew cannot survive the trials ahead in their current states. They do not only need to physically mature, they also must mentally, and a little spiritually, mature.

I still stand by what I said a year ago: Ace needs to die. Whitebeard dying is great and all, but that doesn't necesarily impact Luffy in any way (besides seeing his brother cry), but if Ace were to die...then the story will really heat up.
Was the in-bold statement pun intended?

How about if both Ace and Whitebeard die? Wouldn't that sweeten the deal? The problem with Ace dying, and this has nothing do with the story really, is that he is too popular a character by the fans. I have a feeling that Oda would receive some serious backlash by Ace's fans if he were to kill him off, but quite frankly I say screw those people because Oda has every right to write his story however he sees fit. I don't want this to become the next Dragon Ball Z where supposedly a lot of fans were dictating what Akira Toriyama should and shouldn't do. It's like "Geez people. Respect the author's decisions on how they wish to write their story."
Old 2009-03-11, 13:44   Link #10
Master Mold
Banned

I knew, Luffy would get pwned.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:52   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

@holypanl - I understand what you're saying. It's as if the impact of having bounties has been diminished and that they have become just ordinary and commonplace. But the reason why there are so many pirates with bounties is most likely attributed to Gold Roger starting the "Pirate era" after he was executed. He incited a lot of people to go after and claim his treasure "One Piece". With that being said, ever since then, there has been an influx of pirates in the seas all across the world. That explains why there are so many pirates with bounties.
Old 2009-03-11, 13:54   Link #12
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

@JIMBEI: And I'm glad. Sheer desire and need shouldn't be all there is to it. Althought the Haki concept is really, REALLY awesome, since it allows someone to channel their will in a particular direction

All things considered, I hope that Luffy get put in a cell and stays there, or is taken along to be executed with Ace. (No, I don't want him dead ).

What I see coming up is Mugiwara Crew members racing to the Island and trying to free Luffy, and by extension, Ace.

More importantly, I want a variation on that, where, of course, only one, or possibly two of the members are able to make it in time. Or, only one makes it, but it's, say...Usopp, or Chopper. Or we could have an infiltration Arc focused on Robin! This would definitely be a welcome read.

And more importantly: I want to see possible Shanks involvement by learning of Luffy's capture. The world needs to be shaken!!!

Then they came for me!
Old 2009-03-11, 13:56   Link #13
james0246

Quote:
Was the in-bold statement pun intended?

How about if both Ace and Whitebeard die? Wouldn't that sweeten the deal? The problem with Ace dying, and this has nothing do with the story really, is that he is too popular a character by the fans. I have a feeling that Oda would receive some serious backlash by Ace's fans if he were to kill him off, but quite frankly I say screw those people because Oda has every right to write his story however he sees fit. I don't want this to become the next Dragon Ball Z where supposedly a lot of fans were dictating what Akira Toriyama should and shouldn't do. It's like "Geez people. Respect the author's decisions on how they wish to write their story."
Pun definetly intended .

Yeah, Ace and Whitebeard (hell the majority of the Whitebeard pirates) all dying would really sweeten the deal. Nothing better to shape and mold a character than pure drama mixed with a little angst (kind of like Movie 6, in which Luffy did believe for awhile that his crew had died).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
I knew, Luffy would get pwned.
I love the new avatar Jinbei . Are you going to change your name as well?
Old 2009-03-11, 14:01   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Yeah, Ace and Whitebeard (hell the majority of the Whitebeard pirates) all dying would really sweeten the deal. Nothing better to shape and mold a character than pure drama mixed with a little angst (kind of like Movie 6, in which Luffy did believe for awhile that his crew had died).
Someone give this man a prize. He knows what he's talking about. It's time for Luffy to realize that his journey is no longer going to be all about fun and games.
Old 2009-03-11, 14:07   Link #15
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
I love the new avatar Jinbei . Are you going to change your name as well?
No, Jinbei may be in shackles, and making the Seven armed Seas look bad, by being in a cell crying and what not, BUT there is still room for redemption, and when his time comes, there will be heck to pay!
Old 2009-03-11, 14:32   Link #16
shankss
CP10

So spoilers so far :

- Hannybal and his lads defeat Buggy and 3.
- Gear 2 Luffy gets completely overpwned by Magellan that Mag even calls him pathetic.
- Magellan states that Luffy will die since there is no cure for entire poisons he injected in Luffy's body
- Luffy is captured and taken to level 5.He is in real bad shape that he cant even answer other prisoners question since he is unconcious.
- Level 5 is totally frozen.A place where prisoners food is gettin all frozen before they can eat.
- Maggy tries going after Buggy/Mr2-3 but suffers from diarrhea and rushes to his closet.Sadi-chan goes after them with her animal guards.
- Hannybal that captured Buggy and 2 turns out to be actually Mr2.
- They will try to save Luffy since he is a friend.

No cure for poison is a nice add on.That gives Buggy,Mr.2,Mr.3 a time limit if they want to save Luffy.Judging from the situation, I think Mr 2 confronted by Hannybal on his escape and beat him to copy his face.
Old 2009-03-11, 15:27   Link #17
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:

Yeah but how is that going to tank up Blackbeard as being the big bad? If Ace gets killed so what he's only the second-in-command, it's Whitebeard's position and status that Blackbeard (potentially) wants and further One Piece and the pirate king title. I know that Ace dying would give Luffy that drive he needs but logically what would the character do, go up against the entire WG single-handedly? It makes more sense story-wise for WB to kick the bucket and for BDK to slither out from the darkness to jump his claim, which Luffy probably already has a vendetta against him for nearly killing Ace and allowing him to get captured by the WG, so that would work out anyway. One shichibukai makes for a better single opponent for the hero than an entire navy (well it makes more sense in real-time combat and the WG and Strawhats can be enemies anyway but what I mean is hand-to-hand; 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 100,000,000 )
Old 2009-03-11, 15:29   Link #18
kari-no-sugata

Hmm. Some interesting new spoiler images up. One has Ace asking some guards what's going on above, and they hesitate and say "nothing". The other has a poison covered Luffy still trying to fight and Magellan comments that he has "terrifying willpower" (to keep fighting on despite the agony). Luffy is poisoned multiple times by multiple poisons btw.

Personally, I'm rather curious as to what's happening with Hancock. She was happy to leave when she thought Luffy would likely be okay, but if she asks for / hears a report about what's going on (ie just before the ship leaves) then she wouldn't just sit around. If she heard a report after the events of this chapter, she'd hear that Luffy is dying. He going off to Marine HQ quietly is rather boring... Maybe we'll see her suddenly arrive, just in the nick of time...

PS Ace's cell clearly isn't frozen
Old 2009-03-11, 15:49   Link #19
Master Mold
Banned

I can't wait to see what the other Shichibukai think of her.
Old 2009-03-11, 16:12   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
I can't wait to see what the other Shichibukai think of her.
Chances are she wouldn't be able to stand Doflamingo at all, given how he was the owner of the slave trade business at the Auction House in the archipelago and how she herself was once a slave. He would just remind her of all the terrible things she used to go through. He pretty much epitomizes what she hates about men. Then again, Doflamingo is the type of guy who will try to get on anybody's nerves.