AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-30, 22:35   Link #1
nobodyishome

Japan loves Obama

It turns out many people in Japan are inspired in a somewhat surprising way.

In high school English classes in Tokyo they have this program where they play his speeches through a computer, as they also write stuff down in this Obama book or something. Their textbook is an obama book and CD set featuring his speeches. They mimick his speaking style and take grammar quizes on all of it.

The book isn't just a hit in high school either, it's a best seller all across Japan. The book has sold so well that they followed it up with a sequal, feating his his innaugral address. The first book is #1 on Japan's version of Amazon and the sequal is #2 based on book reservations alone.
The publisher of the books said that many people were moved by the books and even cried, giving the japenese people hope.
nobodyishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 02:44   Link #2
Edgewalker
Nani ?

I kinda feel bad for the people around the world who seriously think he's this messiah. They are in for a big disappointment when it turns out he really isn't any different.

I think he will do a better job than Bush or McCain ever could, but...:P.

And I especially don't get Japans fascination with him. Isn't Japan already on good terms with America ? So what do they think Obama is going to do for them that will make things better ?
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 04:32   Link #3
sa547
*Author

IMHO, most ordinary Japanese aren't happy with the typical old men in politics (hence the indifference), that is, until Obama came in, partly due to the hype generated by the seaside town that also bears his surname during the elections, and partly with the unusual message he brings to most people fed up with Bush.
Old 2009-01-31, 10:54   Link #4
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
I kinda feel bad for the people around the world who seriously think he's this messiah. They are in for a big disappointment when it turns out he really isn't any different.

I think he will do a better job than Bush or McCain ever could, but...:P.

And I especially don't get Japans fascination with him. Isn't Japan already on good terms with America ? So what do they think Obama is going to do for them that will make things better ?
The city of Obama is to blame, really.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/wo...apan.html?_r=1
Old 2009-01-31, 11:01   Link #5
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
that is some serious business.

i'm aware that Obama is getting the attention of the world with his recent speeches but to have something like this in Japan is.. quite amusing, really.
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 12:49   Link #6
contrast_

Read the recent chapters of Air Gear and you'll know the influence Obama has on Japan.

Edit: Link taken off.

Last edited by contrast_; 2009-02-01 at 00:11.
contrast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 13:23   Link #7
james0246

^I think that is why Japan likes Obama. It seems silly to say this, but Obama is like a Shounen character giving a Shounen ideological speech of hope, friendship, loyalty, etc.

That being said, the link you provided is 'illegal' on this forum, so you may want to edit your post to remove the aforementioned link.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-01-31 at 13:34.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 14:16   Link #8
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I am wondering what kind of hope Japanese people are in need of? It is not like they have a messed up credibility all over the world, and running from one bad ending to another.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 16:33   Link #9
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I am wondering what kind of hope Japanese people are in need of? It is not like they have a messed up credibility all over the world, and running from one bad ending to another.
Well there is a global economic crisis and Obama wants to cooperate with many countries on the crisis. The whole world economy is affected by what the USA does so its not suprising that a president like Obama promising change would garner popularity with many countries(Especially Europe). People around the world believe Obama is a bright new face for America and Japan is no exception.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 17:36   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well there is a global economic crisis and Obama wants to cooperate with many countries on the crisis. The whole world economy is affected by what the USA does so its not suprising that a president like Obama promising change would garner popularity with many countries(Especially Europe). People around the world believe Obama is a bright new face for America and Japan is no exception.
That is a bit dangerous exaggeration. Especially coming from a highly modernized and rich society. I mean I can understand if it were to come from a third-world country, or a country with poor ecomonical conditions, but, this is... Strange is all I can say. If a country like Japan (or its society) puts its hopes on Obama, despite the general consensus that one man does not amount to much, then that is something the leaders of such countries need to focus on specifically. Especially since US has a history to exploit such hopes.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 17:57   Link #11
nobodyishome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
The city of Obama is to blame, really.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/wo...apan.html?_r=1
lol, no. They wouldn't get emotional and say "YES WE CAN!" and all of that just because there is a city named 'Obama'. If this trend continues I bet Obama will have a higher aproval rating than their own leader...
Old 2009-01-31, 18:07   Link #12
nobodyishome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
That is a bit dangerous exaggeration. Especially coming from a highly modernized and rich society. I mean I can understand if it were to come from a third-world country, or a country with poor ecomonical conditions, but, this is... Strange is all I can say. If a country like Japan (or its society) puts its hopes on Obama, despite the general consensus that one man does not amount to much, then that is something the leaders of such countries need to focus on specifically. Especially since US has a history to exploit such hopes.
lol. No, you're wrong. US's economy effects almost everybody's economy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...crisis_of_2008
Old 2009-01-31, 18:14   Link #13
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyishome View Post
If this trend continues I bet Obama will have a higher aproval rating than their own leader...
As if he doesn't already?

Come on, the reason it was funny when a political comedy program during the last Canadian election said "Canadians choice for Prime Minister if Barrack Obama" is because it was probably true.

Debating on whether or not to throw the Toaru Majutsu no Index parody of Obama in here.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 20:07   Link #14
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrast_ View Post
Read the recent chapters of Air Gear and you'll know the influence Obama has on Japan.

Evidence: [
Nice, Air Gear too!!!

Obama is the new leader of the US who advocates world peace and world stability, while possessing the intention to promote positive bilateral ties around the world. Truly, a man of honor!

It's a pity that the anti-Obama crowd dislikes the guy because he is black. What does that have anything to do with his wisdom and capabilities?! Other reasons seem to include that Obama is anti-war and a peace promoter. These kind of people are really difficult to understand.

Last edited by monir; 2009-02-02 at 01:57. Reason: added information & the link is removed
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 21:10   Link #15
klowny
OH NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Nice, Air Gear too!!!

Obama is the new leader of the US who advocates world peace and world stability, while possessing the intention to promote positive bilateral ties around the world. Truly, a man of honor!

It's a pity that the anti-Obama crowd dislikes the guy because he is black. What does that have anything to do with his wisdom and capabilities?! Other reasons seem to include that Obama is anti-war and a peace promoter. These kind of people are really difficult to understand.
i don't like obama but i'm not a racist

lol but anyway, WOW really? people like him that much
also we are going to be in war for a while
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 21:13   Link #16
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'll be the first to laugh when nothing changes.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 22:27   Link #17
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Actually, it is already changed. Obama has became the first black president of America which also led to the Republicans getting a black leader as well. Aside from that, I am not optimistic at all in regards of the Obama Administration fixing the recession and also resolve various bilateral issues in amicable manners.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 22:39   Link #18
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Actually, it is already changed. Obama has became the first black president of America which also led to the Republicans getting a black leader as well. Aside from that, I am not optimistic at all in regards of the Obama Administration fixing the recession and also resolve various bilateral issues in amicable manners.
If I heard it right, he said that one or two terms isn't enough to fix the economic problems the world is facing, and he knows that.

Going back to topic, it may be a long shot, but the high-schoolers down there in Japan may have achieved political awareness that they haven't experienced before Obama came in. Heck, one of them might soon challenge the boring old politicians and the status quo.

*now checking Obameter*
Old 2009-02-01, 02:31   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Too late..... a dozen or so executive orders later in the first week, and specific redirection to a number of government agencies, and a great deal has changed.

As far as the TOPIC is concerned, I think Japan at both an individual and in official capacity thinks there will be more engagement from the US on Pacific Rim regional matters - the US has been somewhat asleep at the wheel in that arena (imagine that....).
Old 2009-02-01, 15:17   Link #20
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Too late..... a dozen or so executive orders later in the first week, and specific redirection to a number of government agencies, and a great deal has changed.

As far as the TOPIC is concerned, I think Japan at both an individual and in official capacity thinks there will be more engagement from the US on Pacific Rim regional matters - the US has been somewhat asleep at the wheel in that arena (imagine that....).
Changing administration or whatever isn't what I call "change", you should know better than that. Realistically speaking, no real impact will be felt for years. Anyone sitting on their thumbs thinking that something immediate will happen is simply dreaming and delusional.

On the topic at hand. Was there some new foreign policy issue being worked on that I haven't heard about?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote