Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-31, 21:04   Link #1
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Need some help with research, spec. graphs and trends etc

Might not be the right place, but if it catches the attention of someone who KNOWS the right place, it will be fine as well. Even Japanese fora/2ch sources are fine.

What I'm basically looking for is sales or production estimates from 2006 onwards for the anime industry. A friend of mine is wondering whether production has gone down since that time, either in spending or the amounts of shows per season, and whether the market itself (in terms of the otaku willing to throw money at shows) has also shrunk as well.
Old 2013-08-31, 21:35   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've used the database at AniDB to generate counts of the number of series produced in JP each year. Revenues are a little harder to come by, but you could use the sales figures in this thread to make some estimates of earnings from the sales of physical disks. You would need t obtain the selling prices from some other source. That approach will miss important supplemental sources of revenue like merchandising sales, and it won't capture the potential boost to sales of the original source material that anime adaptations may generate.

In broad terms, production fell in 2008/2009 in the aftermath of the financial crisis, but the industry has rebounded since then.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-08-31 at 22:18.
Old 2013-09-01, 20:18   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

This is basically a "help me with my homework" thread, which we don't allow, but the links above are a good pointer anyway... so closing the thread.

Tags
figures, market data, research