Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-09, 17:59   Link #1
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

Male characters that grow?

So, it seems that the common male character in romances is usually uninteresting, wussy, and boring. Yet somehow they still get the girl. I was wondering if there are any series where the male character starts out like the typical romance character but then matures into a "badass" by the end of the series. Doesn't need to be straight romance, but that should be a heavy focus of the series (action series with a strong romantic couple).
Old 2009-04-09, 18:35   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

CLANNAD would be the thing that comes to my mind the quickest. He's certainly not a wuss when he starts off in episode 1 (he's a fairly interseting character in his own right), and I wouldn't call him badass by the end but there is a very definite growth and change in his outlook of life throughout the series. You may as well say that the focus of the series is on him rather than on the girls, which, if you think about it, the later is what almost always happen on most male oriented romance series.
Old 2009-04-09, 19:27   Link #3
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I second CLANNAD in the fact that his growth is very significant. If you haven't seen Full Metal Panic then I'd suggest that as well as the main male lead is pretty badass. Some other good ones are Air and Toradora.
Old 2009-04-09, 19:35   Link #4
mit7059

I think Overdrive would be a good one, as would Black Lagoon. BECK would also apply.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-04-09, 23:58   Link #5
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Fate/Stay Night could count.
Old 2009-04-10, 00:22   Link #6
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

School Days XD Let's just say he becomes a badass at the end of the series...no but in all seriousness here, I would definitely say Clannad as a strong choice considering the male lead, Tomoya grows significantly throughout the series and becomes such an interesting person. Be warned that this series is an emotional ride but is the best series I've seen to this day.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-04-10 at 02:52.
Old 2009-04-10, 01:33   Link #7
jedinat

Meh... Tomoya is a fairly entertaining character in the beginning but just becomes more emo (i.e. annoying) as the show progresses, the only notable "growth" being a superficial understanding of his father because he *gasp!* finds himself in a similar situation. Spouting infantile psuedo-philosophical insights about adulthood doesn't count as character growth imho.

Last edited by jedinat; 2009-04-10 at 01:47. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-04-10, 01:49   Link #8
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Meh... Tomoyah is a fairly entertaining character in the beginning but just becomes more emo (i.e. annoying) as the show progresses, the only notable "growth" being a superficial understanding of his father because he *gasp!* finds himself in a similar situation. Spouting infantile psuedo-philosophical insights about adulthood doesn't count as character growth imho.
People seem to forget to put themselves in others positions because you don't seem to understand the entire concept behind his character. Tomoya's growth also coincides with the understanding of himself which he struggled with since the beginning of the series but I'd rather not go into detail about that considering this isn't the right thread to be arguing this. As far as the recommendations goes, I'm sticking by what I said earlier.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-04-10, 08:49   Link #9
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
I think Overdrive would be a good one, as would Black Lagoon. BECK would also apply.
i agree should check out Black Lagoon might also want to check out
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Panic
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Trigun
Bleach
Basilisk

ahhhh im to hung over to think at the moment ill come up with a better list later
Old 2009-04-10, 09:29   Link #10
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
i agree should check out Black Lagoon might also want to check out
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Panic
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Trigun
Bleach
Basilisk

ahhhh im to hung over to think at the moment ill come up with a better list later
Already seen Black Lagoon, one of my favorite series.

I have started Clannad and kind of feel like this is going to be a typical romance again. I have watched about half of Trigun and I can't really see why you would pick that one? Vash doesn't seem to grow that much to me (unless something happens later).
Old 2009-04-10, 10:28   Link #11
Megurine Luka

Gurren Lagann popped up in my mind instantly here, as far as lame male lead becoming badass. The romance isn't too strong, but it's definately there.
Old 2009-04-10, 12:17   Link #12
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoukaProductions View Post
Already seen Black Lagoon, one of my favorite series.

I have started Clannad and kind of feel like this is going to be a typical romance again. I have watched about half of Trigun and I can't really see why you would pick that one? Vash doesn't seem to grow that much to me (unless something happens later).
Season 1 of Clannad isn't really where it's impressive, it's Season 2 where it gets interesting. The first season is just about introducing the characters and really getting to know everyone but you'll see what I mean if you make it to Season 2 (After Story.) It's up to you if you want to watch it or not considering it's not really an action series.

Another recommendation that comes to mind might be Macross Frontier, plenty of focus on romance (although it might not end up the way you want it XD) and plenty of action. I've said this plenty of times in the past, I'm not a mecha fan but Macross Frontier was an exception, the plot is pretty good so check it out if you haven't already.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-04-10, 12:30   Link #13
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Give Eureka Seven a try, lots of character development for the entire cast. Also try Noein.
Old 2009-04-10, 17:55   Link #14
Shadow Kira01

When I first saw the thread, I thought it was about Naruto > Naruto Shippuuden. So, you are generally looking for a romance anime where the male protagonist transforms throughout the series:

Ayakashi
Gundam Seed
Kurogane no Linebarrels
Shining Tears X Wind
Tower of Druaga
Old 2009-04-10, 22:02   Link #15
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Well, those are two series that take a turn for the better after the first half, to be exact. I am not specially fond of Trigun, but I'd guess you'll like Vash's character more past the halfway mark.
Old 2009-04-11, 09:04   Link #16
Tier3

Beck
Evangelion
Gungrave (Although the character goes from badass to extremely badass)

I second Eureka 7
Old 2009-04-11, 09:41   Link #17
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
ill third Eureka 7

oh and definitely 90% this one for you... Gantz (lowered 10% cause of lack of romance... but it is there in a few ways )
character a total wuss and turns into hardcore badass... you even hear his inner thoughts when hes scared (as in it gives dialogue of what hes thinking)

with respect guys hes asking for an action series? since when was clannad an action series... ?
and trigun to???? he aint badass hes the same the entire way through?
id say on fate/stay night you dont get excited really, its just medicore. (i was expecting more...)

oh i see the poster touched on that
ok onto more recommendations:

Gantz will be closest for the one your looking for (but beware cause there is blood and gore on that) - make sure you get uncensored version or you wont see most the action scenes) The romance side is not a huge part of this though. First episode introduces the characters - no action until ep 2.
Eureka 7 has the most amazing story ive seen in anime (well there is others but eureka 7 up there with the best). Some romance.
Historys strongest diciple kenichi is one more: about a kid being bullied at school, he decides to become a martial artist and joins a dojo with characters similar to takamura who play the role of his teachers/masters (prob clostest one you will find to ippo out there) He has feelings for the masters daughter.

Eyeshield 21 is another one - about a kid being bullied at school and eventually joins the american football team and starts to train to become stronger - similar to ippo but not nearly as good (althought still good :P - lets be honost no anime will live up to ippo in that genre) No romance really.

Robotech is another but its set in future where a kid becomes a pilot fighting against aliens - he ages somewhat during the anime to (its quite old tho) Romance is minimum

Berserk - has most badass character ull see in anime - but hes badass from the start. Minor romance. (similar to claymore)

those are among best animes out there - you can verify their rankings on anidb - ive not lied on a single one of those - these will suit what your looking for unless i have stated otherwise.

To rank the recommendations for you in order of what your looking for

ok i just spotted your anime list - Judging from your anime list of the ones you rated like 9 and 10. I believe you would give this one a 10 - Great Teacher Onizuka = go watch it now (definite 10 for you - i put off watching this for a year, similar to what i did with ippo - both turned out to be favorites of mine) you might give eureka 7 a 9 or 10, kenichi a 8 or 9 and gantz a possible 10 also.

1. Eureka 7 (nothing compares to this anime - very unique)
2. Histories strongest diciple kenichi
3. Gantz (also very unique)
4. meh thats enough to get you started.

my no 1 recommendation would be hajime no ippo if you havent seen it.

let me know how these animes fair out with you - nice to see how well your recommendations go down with others.

Note: you might laugh but i made this much effort with the post cause of your avatar - makes me assume your an ippo fan lol
My Anime List

Last edited by Wavie; 2009-04-11 at 10:19.
Old 2009-04-11, 10:17   Link #18
Tier3

Hey Wavie, Berserk and Eureka 7 are in my top 5 animes! So your list interests me. I liked Gantz and hajime no ippo too.

I think I'll check out Histories strongest disciple kenichi!
Old 2009-04-11, 10:24   Link #19
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier3 View Post
Hey Wavie, Berserk and Eureka 7 are in my top 5 animes! So your list interests me. I liked Gantz and hajime no ippo too.

I think I'll check out Histories strongest disciple kenichi!
I hope it turns out good then lol. It is still different from ippo

If you liked berserk - try claymore (I LOVED claymore)
If you like Eureka 7 - try heroic age (its got aliens in it and its set in space - not as good as eureka 7 tho) Turn A Gundam somewhat similar to eureka 7 and is nothing like all the other gundams out there. I think you would like Turn A Gundam, it has some romance and good story - action to obviously
If you like gantz (try claymore to)
if you liked ippo (only one out there close is kenichi)

quite cool to see someone with a similar top 5 - thats my fav anime list below. I dont suppose you can post your top 5 so i can see if ive not seen it ?
Let me know if it turns out good Tier

Favourite Anime: Bleach, Claymore, Great Teacher Onizuka, Gundam SEED, Turn A Gundam, Mai-Hime, Naruto (Finally fed up of it tho), One Piece, Onegai Twins, Eureka 7, Hajime No Ippo (really enjoyed this anime above all the rest, didnt expect it to be so great), Stellvia, Hunter X Hunter, Full Metal Panic, Kimi Ga Eien, Tsubasa Chronicle (season one and two - season two demoted to liked ), and Elfen Lied. GANTZ (AWESOME AWESOME ANIME - gantz gantz gantz. best of lot for me ) Hikaru No Go. Major Season 2. Kaleido Star. Robotech. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (first ova I have watched that I have really liked... thought it was a tv series when I started watching it). Mai-otome zwei. Kenichi (keep it up subbers - this series rules ) . Zero no Tsukaima (second series ok and third series sucked). Berserk. Claymore. Tengen (the ending really ruined this series for me... ill say its my fav up until the time skip). Heroic Age. OverDrive. Kekkaishi.
My Anime List
Old 2009-04-11, 11:50   Link #20
kyousukey

lmfao rosario + vampire xD hah he somewhat trys sticking up for his friends more and more often
Closed Thread