AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-04-07, 13:42   Link #21
psycho_luny
close to insanity
*Author

Send a message via MSN to psycho_luny
i just recently held a jay and silent bob marathon. so: clerks 1 & 2, mall rats, dogma and jay and silent bob strike back.
Old 2010-04-07, 17:17   Link #22
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Storm Riders

The only movie I caught recently was Storm Riders its was your typical of wire based Kung-Fu flick . Its also your typical mish mash of CTHDragon/LOR/DBZ . The movie is based on a manga/manhwa which I dont follow . So the plot to me was very confusing . The first half is actually interesting but same cant be said about the second . Ended up fast forwarding a lot of content . What blew me or the USP of this movie is not the plot but the special effects CG used.

In terms of Plot it gets a low rating but visually quite stunning .

Old 2010-04-08, 13:24   Link #23
KuroSora
*Graphic Designer

Tom Yum Goong a.k.a. The Protector

It is kind of Thailand's fighting/action with lot of realy cool and some funny moves mostly from Myau Thai, but also have few from Kung Fu, Brasilian Capoeira, etc.
KuroSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 14:25   Link #24
Irkalla
I asked for this

Anna and King of Siam (1946)
It's the only adaption of the rather fictional stories of Anna Leonowens that I actually like. Despite being a chick flick and made in the over dramatic-mush era, this was quite the humorous movie. I can see why it can be insulting for Thai people, but it was a movie targeted at the western audience anyway. Just gotta love Irene Dunnes performance in this, and despite nearing her 50s, she didn't look a day older than 30 in the movie. And this in a time before botox and cosmetic surgery.
Old 2010-04-08, 14:30   Link #25
seiftis
~defying fate

Last watched Evangelion 2.0 and How to Train Your Dragon 3D in cinema.

I thought the Dragon movie was kind of like Avatar's storyline actually (which is pretty cliched by today's standard) -- switching sides, show coolness and be a hero.
Old 2010-04-08, 15:01   Link #26
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The only golden oldies I have watched recently are Pandora's Box / Diary of a Lost Girl both starring Louise Brooks and East of Eden starring Dean .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
It's the only adaption of the rather fictional stories of Anna Leonowens that I actually like. Despite being a chick flick and made in the over dramatic-mush era, this was quite the humorous movie. I can see why it can be insulting for Thai people, but it was a movie targeted at the western audience anyway. Just gotta love Irene Dunnes performance in this, and despite nearing her 50s, she didn't look a day older than 30 in the movie. And this in a time before botox and cosmetic surgery.

Aha never knew of this one . I actually watched the musical remake of it King and I (1956) . Though I don't remember much of the movie, as I watched it as a kid on Turner . But I remember the remake, the travesty of sanity starring Chow Yun-Fat. And being a huge fan of Chow Yun Fat's, The Killer it was hard to see him in a musical .

Though I would like to know how these two movies compare King and I / Anna and King of Siam . Here is the Summary / Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSong View Post
Tom Yum Goong a.k.a. The Protector

It is kind of Thailand's fighting/action with lot of realy cool and some funny moves mostly from Myau Thai, but also have few from Kung Fu, Brasilian Capoeira, etc.

I wanted to watch it due to Tony Jaa of Ong Bak fame but the elephants scared me away . Bit too much to digest even setting aside culture differences . Yep takes place in Australia but still not my thing gave it a miss . If you want another movie from the same Director (Prachya Pinkaew) check out Chocolate I really liked it .
Old 2010-04-08, 16:20   Link #27
KuroSora
*Graphic Designer

@Zu Ra, in Tom Yum Goong dont have much scenes with elephants... they are mostly on beggining of movie, and just few more of them throught movie. Btw, about Tony Jaa, he is realy awesome actor, and I thing that i need just one more movie to make full colection of his movies... or maybe already have all must look later
Old 2010-04-08, 16:35   Link #28
iceyfw

clash of the titans was the last most recent one i watched. now i wished i never went to see it. last time i go to a movie with my mom and sister they want to watch. i could have spent that cash to save up for a new computer case!
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 18:23   Link #29
KuroSora
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_snake20 View Post
clash of the titans..

That is movie about Mythology with Perseus??
I know for that movie with same name, is it or something another?
If is that, than it is kind of bad and boring movies...
Old 2010-04-09, 17:57   Link #30
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Planning too watch Storm Riders 1 tonight ... Saw part 2 the other day so curious to see how the story unfolds in reverse ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSong View Post
@Btw, about Tony Jaa, he is realy awesome actor, and
Seen Ong Bak 2 its awesome in its own right but quite doesnt compare to Ong Bak (Orignal) . Ong Bak 3 is going down the same route hope it meausres upto the first one .

This is one of best fight scenes I have seen in a long time from Ong Bak . I would probably put it up there with Jackie Chan
Old 2010-04-09, 18:07   Link #31
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Zu Ra, your fear of elephants is costing you a great experience.
the protector is a cool movie on par with ong bak 1. they both have unique action sequences, and u can just fast forward the elephants. (i find it weird tht they cause u so much trouble)

i saw iron man (thanks to someone in this thread who mentioned it earlier)
it wasnt half bad, considering i havent watched a hollywood action movie in ages. in one word it was entertaining. also i saw some crappy asian movies not worth mentioning...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 18:27   Link #32
Uchiha Soul

Recently i watched "Edge of Darkness" By Mel Gibson .. it was really good, i liked it .

and Today i watched "Halloween II".

Uchiha Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 18:41   Link #33
james0246

You need the elephants. Tony Jaa's fighting style in the film imitates elephants afterall...

(Also can't wait for Ong-Bak III, and Zu Ra is right, Chocolate was a superb action film which I also highly recommend.)

I'm going through on a Stephen Chow's marathon recently (more or less, everything I can find on netflix): Fight Back To School, All for the Winner, Fist of Fury 1991, Royal Tramp, A Chinese Odyssey , The God of Cookery, etc. Chow is always fun to watch, even in some of his more...simplistic roles...

(For those who haven't seen it, Chow's Kung Fu Hustle is one of the best martial arts films, and just a generally good film, ever made.)

Next up is a more headier marathon: all of Hirokazu Koreeda's films (haven't seen Air Doll yet, but it sounds quite different)...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-04-09 at 18:53.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 19:02   Link #34
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Clash of the Titans and I want my money back, I liked the original version much more and throughout the entire movie I couldn't help but compare it to God of War and God of War won. Also it seemed very rushed and short, not worth £5.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 21:30   Link #35
killer3000ad

Watched Kick Ass two days ago. I must say, it's refreshing and fairly original and was quite a fun ride, people in the cinema clapped at the end. However the ever controversy-hungry Aussie media have jumped on the nanny bandwagon over Hit Girl's liberal use of the words 'f*ck' and 'c*nt' throughout the film. At the very least Kick Ass was better than Clash of the Titans.
Old 2010-04-10, 07:53   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Though it's not available in theaters, I'd like to recommend the HBO movie, Temple Grandin. Dr. Grandin may now be the most famous autistic person in America. She single-handedly revamped the procedures stockyards use to make them more humane, obtained a Ph.D, and now teaches at Colorado State University. Claire Danes is stunning in the very difficult title role and, in my humble opinion, deserves an Emmy for her performance.

The movie will eventually be released on DVD; for now it's only on HBO.

Oh, and here's another endorsement for How to Train Your Dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
Just gotta love Irene Dunne's performance in this
I agree, she's great in the role. Too bad she's stuck playing alongside Rex Harrison.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-04-12 at 12:30.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 15:03   Link #37
KuroSora
*Graphic Designer

aww... Blood and Chocolate... great movie, about werewolf girl who fall in love with human (and he fall in love with her too ), but they have huge problems with leader of werewolfs who want her for himself, and there is his son too, stupid guy that like to have fun and kill (he is realy stupid in movie)...
Old 2010-04-10, 18:17   Link #38
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The God of Cookery, etc. Chow is always fun to watch, even in some of his more...simplistic roles...
Will Check that out ^^

If cooking and martial arts is your thing check out Kung Fu Chefs . Its an entertaining movie with ample amount of martial arts thrown in . But logic has to take a back seat . Overall a wholesome movie IMO . I took interest in this genre thanks to this anime Cooking Master Boy (Chuuka Ichiban) . Its a wonderful anime which mixes shonen with cooking .
Old 2010-04-10, 21:12   Link #39
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I watched Ninja Assassin this Easter weekend. It was awesome. In my opinion, the bloodier and gorier the movie, the better.

I also rewatched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen this weekend, too. I'm still pretty sure that I'm one of the only people that liked this movie. Everyone else that I've talked to that's seen it either found it boring or outright hated it.
Uh, actually I LOVED the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too! I have it on DVD and watch it often!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 21:32   Link #40
Haladflire65
*Artist

I rewatched The Prestige with some friends. I absolutely love the movie, it was probably my 6th time watching it So twisty and turny and disturbing and brilliant.

Tags
live-action, movie, movies