AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 11:09   Link #1
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Anything like Chobits?

A few years back I got into chobits BIG TIME, my ex girlfriend was to blame, normally I am all for shonen and action, adventure animes & manga but I'm craving something that would fit the Chobits bill, you know funny, charming, dorky protagonist, cute females and sort of science fiction. Is there any other animes that are similar at all?
Old 2012-12-06, 13:49   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try Mahoromatic and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. Both are animated by Gainax and have the same director, Shouji Saeki (Medaka Box). Both starts with a ecchi-ish, yet humorous and colorful beginning before devolving into the more dramatic second half.
Hand Maid May also fits as well.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 14:20   Link #3
Echoes

As far as premise is concerned, you can't get much closer than Dears. Pretty much the same exact thing.

I think that Dears, unlike Chobits, is an absolutely god-awful show, but that's just my opinion, and not the consensus. Because it's so similar, I'll recommend it so you can make up your own mind.

I also think the aforementioned This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is an excellent series, and I'd recommend that, though I don't really know about the male lead. He's really not that similar to Hideki at all, but there's definitely cute girls with a sci-fi twist.

Another show I'd recommend which really fits the bill is Shuffle. Funny, likable lead, a ton of incredibly cute girls, and a sci-fi undertone. I'm sure you've probably already heard of and made up your mind about that one, though.
Old 2012-12-06, 14:31   Link #4
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Yeah ... DearS is the closest thing I could immediately think of, and I did not hink it was very interesting either, tbh....

But to me the defining characteristic of Chobits was the question of what makes a human a human, an attempt to explore what many people today regard as the "grey area" between robotics and humans (sorta a 'la the character of Data from STtNG) and the "crossing of the mist" from the angle of both the robot itself and the human being.

To my mind a very strong counterpart to Chii in anime would actually be Nagato from the Suzumiya Haruhi series. The general theme of "emotionless" or emotionally stunted main characters (robots, aliens or just plain humans) slowly becoming more emotionally rich is a very common one.
Old 2012-12-06, 14:43   Link #5
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

I gave all suggestions a wiki and all sound promising.

if 2 people are suggesting Dears but didn't like it I will trust your opinion and will probably not check it out, not one for wasting time when it comes to anime, hence why I'm asking you wondeerfully helpful peoples instead of ploughing through turd until I find a gem.

cheers though, keep it coming.

Think I'll check out Ugly yet beautiful world first.
Old 2012-12-06, 15:02   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I haven't watched it, but isn't Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo somewhat similar to Chobits in terms of themes?

You might also want to search for shows in the "sudden girlfriend" genre.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:35   Link #7
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Checked out the first episode of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. I love it. Will definitely be spending tomorrow evening catching up with the rest of the series. It genuinely made me LOL!
Old 2012-12-06, 19:02   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm so tempted to recommend Kobato and Cardcaptor Sakura, two more nice works from CLAMP. The genres slightly differ between them, but what they do share is atmosphere, which will likely grab you first.
Old 2012-12-06, 22:08   Link #9
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
I gave all suggestions a wiki and all sound promising.

if 2 people are suggesting Dears but didn't like it I will trust your opinion and will probably not check it out, not one for wasting time when it comes to anime, hence why I'm asking you wondeerfully helpful peoples instead of ploughing through turd until I find a gem.
Then I will be one to say that DearS is actually a good anime that has comedy plus a great ending so you should watch it in case the reason they didn't like it is something you enjoy so just watch a couple of episodes before you put it off.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 10:17   Link #10
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphine View Post
Then I will be one to say that DearS is actually a good anime that has comedy plus a great ending so you should watch it in case the reason they didn't like it is something you enjoy so just watch a couple of episodes before you put it off.
And I'm in the middle, thinking DearS was decent. I'd check it out anyway. I was especially impressed with Neneko; one of the better childhoodfriend-characters out there, I'd say.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 05:49   Link #11
mikejacobs

Send a message via MSN to mikejacobs
I really recommend you don't watch Ugly yet beautiful world, one of the rare animes i think is shit. Watch Karin the chibi vampire or Midori no Hibi.

Check my list out for some suggestions. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/mik...show=0&order=4
Old 2012-12-08, 05:53   Link #12
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejacobs View Post
I really recommend you don't watch Ugly yet beautiful world, one of the rare animes i think is shit. Watch Karin the chibi vampire or Midori no Hibi.

Check my list out for some suggestions. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/mik...show=0&order=4
That's your personal opinion, man. I haven't watched it myself, but I heard it was decent. Even Echoes said so.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 14:04   Link #13
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejacobs View Post

You're recomending Karin over This Ugly Yet Beautiful World..... Nuh uh if anything Karin is shit and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is actually pretty good

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 14:19   Link #14
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Do not forget to take a look at Busou Shinki!
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 18:59   Link #15
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphine View Post
You're recomending Karin over This Ugly Yet Beautiful World..... Nuh uh if anything Karin is shit and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is actually pretty good
Quote:
That's your personal opinion, man.
^
|
This. It's a suggestions thread, let the OP decide for themselves, hmm?
Old 2012-12-09, 11:27   Link #16
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Ah! My Goddess! is all you need. I believe Chobits was inspired by it.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 14:53   Link #17
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

loving the feedback. I was checking out the Ah! My Goddess! DVD in my work (HMV) the other day, it did sound good. I'm ploughing through Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo at the moment its properly makes me laugh, I like it. Ugly yet beautiful world if next on the list.