AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-09-09, 22:30   Link #1221
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Avoid natto. Apart from that, you're fine!
Nah, YOLO... it is very disgusting nonetheless, and sometimes they hide it inside other food (temaki in my case) for a very nasty surprise
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 22:59   Link #1222
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Avoid natto. Apart from that, you're fine!
But nattou is awesome.

It is however, a great prank food to use on foreigners.
It's sort of our Hawaiian "Poi".
Old 2013-09-10, 13:36   Link #1223
SirAidan
yourSavior and 救済者

Okay thanks. I will be aware of nattou.

I am not sure but someone told me dont mention you watch anime. But why?

Can i not just go and like say i watch anime you too? because a lot of people watch anime there, right?
Old 2013-09-10, 14:11   Link #1224
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
But nattou is awesome.

It is however, a great prank food to use on foreigners.
It's sort of our Hawaiian "Poi".
Nattou is not like Poi. Poi is delicate. The texture may be weird, but it is subtle like taro itself. Nattou is .. musky, earthy and in your face.
Old 2013-09-10, 19:25   Link #1225
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAidan View Post
Okay thanks. I will be aware of nattou.

I am not sure but someone told me dont mention you watch anime. But why?

Can i not just go and like say i watch anime you too? because a lot of people watch anime there, right?
Not mentioning you watch anime is silly, IMO. The idea that there's a massive social stigma attached to anyone who does here is completely false in my experience. If you're a gaijin than any locals would be even less surprised.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 03:40   Link #1226
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Nattou is not like Poi. Poi is delicate. The texture may be weird, but it is subtle like taro itself. Nattou is .. musky, earthy and in your face.
Did you not bother to read the rest of the post?
I'm comparing it to poi for its use of "using it on visitors to observe their reaction", not the actual food texture.

And half my relatives, including my own step-father, are Hawaiian thank you.
I see them do this shit all the time, in fact, I learned it from them.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-09-13 at 03:54.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 11:24   Link #1227
willx
Nyaaan~~

Okay, I must be confused, because I didn't quite get it. This may be because I didn't react particularly differently when I tried Poi for the first time. Nattou however I found repulsive.
Old 2013-10-16, 18:46   Link #1228
Kirarakim

Going to Kyoto in November for the autumn leaves and was wondering if anyone had any advice for what not to miss.

This is my 3rd time going to Kyoto so I've seen most of the well known shrines and temples already but I've wanted to know which of these do you definitely recommend I not miss specifically for fall colors. I am already very familiar with Arashiyama & Kiyomizudera so no need to recommend those.

en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/05/12-of-the-best-places-in-kyoto-to-enjoy-the-autumn-colors/

Note: I will be in Kyoto about 4 days but I also want to do things around the area like Nara, Kurama/Kibune, and Ishiyamadera in Otsu City which might limit what I can see in Kyoto.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-10-16 at 19:27.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 09:36   Link #1229
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My #1 hidden gem is Ishiyama-dera in Otsu, about 20 minutes from Kyoto Station by train. Murasaki Shikibu wrote part of Genji Monogatari there, and it's the most beautiful temple I've visited, Kyoto or elsewhere.

I'd also recommend Kurama and Kibune Jinja, if you haven't been. Take the Dentetsu Line to Kurama, hike uo through Kurama-dera and take the train back down from Kibune village.
Old 2013-10-18, 12:34   Link #1230
Kirarakim

Quote:
My #1 hidden gem is Ishiyama-dera in Otsu, about 20 minutes from Kyoto Station by train. Murasaki Shikibu wrote part of Genji Monogatari there, and it's the most beautiful temple I've visited, Kyoto or elsewhere.

I'd also recommend Kurama and Kibune Jinja, if you haven't been. Take the Dentetsu Line to Kurama, hike uo through Kurama-dera and take the train back down from Kibune village.
As of right now I definitely plan to do both. I wanted to do Ishiyama-dera last time but missed out so I won't make that mistake this time. Plus it will be nice to get away from the crowds in Kyoto.

But is there any reason you recommend starting from Kurama? I see most sites recommend the opposite (starting from Kibune and ending up in Kurama). Just curious!
Old 2013-10-18, 12:40   Link #1231
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Not entire related to the thread, but in a few months time, i gonna meet up with a lady coming from Kochi. So was searching for any anime characters or any video having people speaking in Tosaben. Probably won't be helpful the least, but just to be a bit readi-er in case i want to start a short conversation with her in Japanese.

Any suggestions on an anime character, or youtube video that provide conversations of people speaking in Tosaben. As apparently got none from the anime suggestion thread.
Old 2013-10-18, 16:05   Link #1232
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As of right now I definitely plan to do both. I wanted to do Ishiyama-dera last time but missed out so I won't make that mistake this time. Plus it will be nice to get away from the crowds in Kyoto.

But is there any reason you recommend starting from Kurama? I see most sites recommend the opposite (starting from Kibune and ending up in Kurama). Just curious!
If you are interested in short trips try the Buddhist complexes of Hie-zan and Koya-san. Also Bitchuu-Matsuyama and Hikone castles offer excellent examples of hilltop and flatland castle architecture.

A little bit further away (well... more like 4-5 hours train rides), you can visit either Ise or Izumo grand shrines of Amaterasu and Ookuni, which along with Inari (which I guess you have visited already in Kyoutou) are the most important Shintou shrines in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Not entire related to the thread, but in a few months time, i gonna meet up with a lady coming from Kochi. So was searching for any anime characters or any video having people speaking in Tosaben. Probably won't be helpful the least, but just to be a bit readi-er in case i want to start a short conversation with her in Japanese.

Any suggestions on an anime character, or youtube video that provide conversations of people speaking in Tosaben. As apparently got none from the anime suggestion thread.
Just say how much you love rural life and sake

Whenever I mentioned how much I liked anything else from Shikoku, everyone (including natives) gave me a weirder than usual, puzzled stare

Anyway, western Japanese in general are very "warm-blooded", expressing their opinion more openly than other Asian cultures, are easy to talk to, and are much more genuinely interested in foreigners than more cosmopolitan parts of the country... and this is overgeneralizing from limited experience.

Last edited by AmeNoJaku; 2013-10-18 at 16:16.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 17:51   Link #1233
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
A little bit further away (well... more like 4-5 hours train rides), you can visit either Ise or Izumo grand shrines of Amaterasu and Ookuni, which along with Inari (which I guess you have visited already in Kyoutou) are the most important Shintou shrines in the region.
Thanks for the recommendations but unfortunately I don't have too much time for many more day trips. I do want to see some shrines/temples that I have not gone to yet in Kyoto (especially ones noted for their autumn scenery) and I know from past experience it is hard to see more than 3 or 4 in a day.

I should have about 4 days in the Kansai region. I might be able to extend it a little (depending when I take the train to and from Tokyo as my trip starts and ends there, but then I also want to have some time for shopping in Tokyo).

Anyways, yes I have been to Fushimi Inari and loved it (but who wouldn't?). I had the most absolutely amazing Nishin-Soba there as well. I don't think I will have time to go back this trip though. I am trying to see things I haven't seen before or things that will look significantly different because of the change of season.

That is why I am going back to Kiyomizu. I've been there twice before, but every time the trees are bare. This time I am hoping to see Kiyomizu surrounded by red maple leaves.

But I am hoping this won't be my last time in Japan. Even though my co-workers already think I am crazy that I went back 2 years in a row.
Old 2013-10-18, 19:46   Link #1234
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

I like hiking up through the temple (they have a cable car, too) and then finishing in Kibune, because there are a number of restaurants and cafes there. But if you do the reverse there's an onsen in Kurama you could finish up at.

Incidentally, I love Koya-san but I wouldn't do it as a day trip. It's best at night (especially the Okunoin) and the temple stay is really an indispensable part of the experience.
Old 2013-10-18, 22:03   Link #1235
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Just say how much you love rural life and sake

Whenever I mentioned how much I liked anything else from Shikoku, everyone (including natives) gave me a weirder than usual, puzzled stare

Anyway, western Japanese in general are very "warm-blooded", expressing their opinion more openly than other Asian cultures, are easy to talk to, and are much more genuinely interested in foreigners than more cosmopolitan parts of the country... and this is overgeneralizing from limited experience.
Hey, thank for the tip.

The problem is i have most of my life's rural experience through...Havest Moon. So probably shouldn't head the conversation there. Of course can doctor some lines like clean air, peaceful day and such. But don't want to tell lie like a rug right in the first meeting (or any meeting after that, to be honest)

Can you actually recognize the accent? Or is it just a little bit different? If it is anything like Osaka-ben, i think i will instantly fall with love with it
Old 2013-10-18, 22:35   Link #1236
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:

Tosaben speaker...
Makoto from Street Fighter 3 and 4
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 22:58   Link #1237
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Tatsuma Sakamoto from Gintama, I believe.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:50   Link #1238
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINNSK View Post
Tosaben speaker...
HIIIIIIIICCCCKKKKK! I smell a HICK!!

Btw, as a native Osaka (heck, born in city of Sakai even) I had a pretty thick kansaiben accent
But after living outside of Japan for so long, I completely lost it. Now when I speak in Japanese it's completely hyoujungo.
Old 2013-12-07, 19:04   Link #1239
Kirarakim

Tumblr links to photos of recent trip

Random anime images
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...taken-in-japan

Tokyo in the Evening (Shinjuku & Shibuya)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...a-crossing-and

Mount Fuji
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...-i-was-able-to

Food Eaten in Japan
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...i-ate-in-japan

Nara (with deer)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69277283827

Arashiyama (Fall Colors)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69126660915

Eikando (Fall Colors)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...kyoto-november

Kiyomizu Dera (Fall Colors)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69028021902

Autumn in Kyoto (extra pictures)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...utumn-in-kyoto

Cat Cafe in Tokyo
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69026743476

Random Images (that didn't fit anywhere else)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...mages-of-japan

Character Street in Tokyo Station
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/69...-tokyo-station
Old 2013-12-07, 19:58   Link #1240
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Is that Nekorobi in Ikebukuro?

Tags
japan, travel