AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-04, 19:23   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple

Anyone have any information on this anime yet? I just found out about it today and it looks just downright awesome. It's a series of episodes centering around Agatha Christie`s Great Detectives Poirot and Marple just like the thread title says. For anyone who likes Agatha Christie (*raises both hands*) and loves mysteries, you should really love this anime, especially if they do a good job sticking very closely to the books. I espect that this will be somewhat of a long series as AC had a LOT of books she wrote dealing both with Poirot and Ms. Marple. So even if they only touch on a few of the biggest books, this series should easily be 52 episodes or more.

The homepage is here but I can't read enough Japanese yet to understand it, so I don't have more details than what I've posted here. If someone would be willing to do a little translating of the descriptions and stuff, or provide some more info, that'd rock!! I'm also plugging for this in the fansub groups forum to see if someone will pick this up. I'm definately going to be waiting eagerly for this to show up on AS.
Old 2004-07-04, 19:49   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Anyone have any information on this anime yet? I just found out about it today and it looks just downright awesome. It's a series of episodes centering around Agatha Christie`s Great Detectives Poirot and Marple just like the thread title says. For anyone who likes Agatha Christie (*raises both hands*) and loves mysteries, you should really love this anime, especially if they do a good job sticking very closely to the books. I espect that this will be somewhat of a long series as AC had a LOT of books she wrote dealing both with Poirot and Ms. Marple. So even if they only touch on a few of the biggest books, this series should easily be 52 episodes or more.

The homepage is here but I can't read enough Japanese yet to understand it, so I don't have more details than what I've posted here. If someone would be willing to do a little translating of the descriptions and stuff, or provide some more info, that'd rock!! I'm also plugging for this in the fansub groups forum to see if someone will pick this up. I'm definately going to be waiting eagerly for this to show up on AS.
Looks like it's a bunch of one episode mysteries, with the possibility of multi-episode longer ones. Looks really neat, especially the duck
Old 2004-07-04, 20:30   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I love Agatha Christie novels and I am so happy seeing it animated. ^^ Altho watching the raw, I was a bit lost what they were saying in the investigation. I like Poirot looks in the anime, kinda remind me of the twins from Tin Tin. ^^

Poirot and Ms. Marple animated. ^^
Old 2004-07-04, 21:40   Link #4
wao
OK.

And in a shock or maybe not-so-shock move, suddenly somebody jumps in and licenses this.

I won't be surprised if I actually am correct...

Seeing as it is based on English texts there should be absolutely no problem 1. showing this, 2. packaging this 3. marketing this 4. translating this

EDIT: Cool, there's some prestigious professor from Tokyo University doing background research for this anime.

EDIT2: It is animated by Oriental Light and Magic, who did Pokemon, To Heart and Sou Nanda out of others. The character designer is also teh character designer for the Pokemon anime, so you would see some similarities (Doesn't that duck have rather Ash-like eyes? >:|)
Old 2004-07-04, 22:18   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

A bit off topic but the moment they start saying "ahiru.." I get this nostalgic feeling of Princess Tutu. And that little duck become very cute. ^^
Old 2004-07-04, 22:37   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

That's cool. My father loves these shows on A&E Mysteries. This will get him to watch anime.
Old 2004-07-04, 22:39   Link #7
wao
OK.

For those lazy to look through ANN's good encyclopedia...

Director: TAKAHASHI Naohito (Director: Beserk, Croquette, Figure 17, Steel Angel Kurumi [all]. Series Director: To Heart.)

Character Design: ICHIISHI Sayuri (Character design: Pokemon TV, 2000 The Movie, The First Movie. Chief animator: Pokemon 2000 The Movie, The First Movie. Animation Director: Pokemon 4Ever.)

Art Director: TAKAHASHI Hisayoshi (Art Director: Steel Angel Kurumi TV [1 and 2], Encore OAV, To Heart.)

Director of Photography: MIZUTANI Takaya (Director: Mermaids Forest. CGI Director: Steel Angel Kurumi [all].)

Animation Producer: KANDA Shukichi (Producer: Figure 17, Kasumin, Steel Angel Kurumi TV [1 only], Encore OAV, Weather Report Girl. Animation Producer: Pokemon TV, 4Ever, Stainless Night, Wedding Peach.)

Music: WATANABE Toshiyuki (Music: Ambassador Magma, Bosco Daibouken, Coral Reef Legend: Elfie of the Blue Sea, Devil Lady, Ginga Hyouryuu Vifam, Girl from Phantasia, Great Dangaioh, Here Comes Three Eyes, Peter Pan no Bouken, Space Travelers, Sword for Truth)

Sound Director: AKITAGAWA Susumu (Sound recording Director: Akira. Sound Effects editor: The Cockpit. Music: Kaikan Phrase.)

OP and ED sung by: YAMASHITA Tatsuro (I believe he's a fairly well-known singer or something.)

Marple by Kaoru YACHIGUSA (?)

Poirot by Koutaro SATOMI (?)

Mable by Fumiko ORIKASA (Hikari in Haibane Renmei, Hikaru in Figure 17,
Seras in Hellsing, Ester in Kenran Butou Sai, Ligene in Natsuiro no Sunadokei, Sheree in Konjiki no Gash Bell, Kirara in Samurai 7, Chise in SaiKano, Kim in RahXephon, Pacifica in Scrapped Princess, Ciel in Tsukihime, Yayoi in Stellvia, Meia in Vandread, AAAHH!!)

Hastings by Hirofumi NOJIMA (Miyahara in Midori no Hibi)

Oliver (Duck) by Masako JOH (Various random things.)

Broadcasted on NHK.
Old 2004-07-05, 06:04   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. I finally told my mom about this new anime this morning and she just about exploded with joy! She was already bugging me for when the first episodes would be available. So yeah, I think she's just as phyqued about this anime as I am. Probubly even more so. I'm downloading the raw just to see what it's like. I'll report back when I get it. ETA: 5hrs.
Old 2004-07-05, 09:09   Link #9
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

My mom loves movies made from those novels.
On the other hand she totally hates anime.

And for me its exactly the other way around.

I dont think this is a typical candidate for lincense, as anime is still for younger people only in the western world (on an economy wide view of course... I know you could give plenty counter-examples ). Now Agatha Christie novels arent exactly the kind of novels that are usually read by young audience.
They are not ready for adult anime yet.

well... of course thats only if this anime is like what youd expect from Agatha Christie-anime.
Old 2004-07-05, 13:33   Link #10
TronDD
Team the box!

Anyone know who the VA for Vanessa is? I recognize the voice but can't place it.

The OP makes the show sound like a romance.
Old 2004-07-05, 14:46   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

WAH! Not fair!! I'm still waiting on the stupid raw to download.

I'm really curious to know however who's going to be subbing this.

EDIT: WEE!! Finally got the raw! And although I only understood about 1/3-1/2 of what was said, I still very much enjoyed this first episode. I definately want to see it subbed now.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-07-05 at 16:58.
Old 2004-07-05, 19:33   Link #12
clem-kun
Shi-Fa Staff

Send a message via AIM to clem-kun
Are any groups fansubbing this? Our group was planning to, but we might drop it if we have some serious competition <_<
Old 2004-07-05, 20:51   Link #13
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Anime of aghata christie's novel!!!!!!!!
it makes me nostalgic of the time i was watching sherlock holmes (with animals instead of human)

I once red an autobiography of aghata and she said that poirot and miss marple will never get well together and it was because of that that she never wrote a story with the two of them investigating the same case.

Does anyone know if Poirot and Miss Marple will investigate together or it will be episodic like Rumic theater?
Old 2004-07-05, 22:56   Link #14
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

It's supposed to be episodic to a degree. Each mystery will spam 2-3 episodes. Basically it will follow the books perty closely. So expect at least 2 episodes per book worth.
Old 2004-07-05, 23:04   Link #15
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem-kun
Are any groups fansubbing this? Our group was planning to, but we might drop it if we have some serious competition <_<
I wonder. I haven't heard any group express an interest but we'll know for sure in a couple days which is about when I'd expect the first subs to to be released.

Why don't you guys be one of the groups doing it and let the others decide not to do it because it's already been picked up? Be the trailblazers. Set the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
It's supposed to be episodic to a degree. Each mystery will spam 2-3 episodes. Basically it will follow the books perty closely. So expect at least 2 episodes per book worth.
Except the first episode which seems to have solved the mystery.

I think it's cool they had that mini documentary on Agatha Christie at the end. At least I think It was cool. I couldn't understand most of it and the part in English had a Japanese voice over and I couldn't hear the language I understand.
Old 2004-07-06, 08:03   Link #16
wao
OK.

I can't seem to find out what "Vanessa"'s seiyuu is, and neither am I willing to download the raw, is there a kanji thingy around somewhere?

I would love to see a subbed version of it, please somebody do sub it if possible!
Old 2004-07-06, 09:49   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I wonder. I haven't heard any group express an interest but we'll know for sure in a couple days which is about when I'd expect the first subs to to be released.

Why don't you guys be one of the groups doing it and let the others decide not to do it because it's already been picked up? Be the trailblazers. Set the bar.
Yes! Yes! Set the bar. I am dizzy at the sheer joy of hearing this news. This show bound to be dialogue oriented. If a good group such as Anbu or Totan *hint**hint* picks it up, we Christie fans should be in heaven.
Old 2004-07-06, 11:10   Link #18
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

On the face of it, an anime series based on Agatha Christie's books looks very interesting. She was defiantly a very skilled writer in the mystery genera so the plots if followed will be good... Those two series of books being particularly well liked. I guess that is why they were picked I do like the designs too . I think the style is quite fitting.

Still, what I don't understand is how they are ever (as people have suggested so far?) going to stick to the plot in the books if both Poirot and Marple are in the same "story" -- as such an occurrence never actually happened to my knowledge.

Given the "detective" characters are fundamental to the story (naturally) you can't just mix and match them -- at least not if while being faithful to the scripts. Ok so strictly speaking you can't add a duck and stick to the story either... but that has less of an impact on the dynamics of how the cases are solved.

The stories themselves are fairly self contained too. Making them into a TV series that flows will take some doing, given they are not opting for the OVA format... (akin to the "feature" length productions the BBC did of Miss Marple or ITV did of Poirot -- which are the two best renditions I've seen on screen to date mind).

Still... I'm not saying all this will be a bad thing -- it could be interesting to see both Jane and Hercule in the same story... I just can't imagine how they would ever get along or interact well -- so very different characters. It'll be a real test of the writers trying to keep the feeling Christie's style has... I not sure they'll do it but I'm going to keep an open mind.
Old 2004-07-06, 11:11   Link #19
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I can't seem to find out what "Vanessa"'s seiyuu is, and neither am I willing to download the raw, is there a kanji thingy around somewhere?
What is a "kanji thingy"?

Venessa is a character that probably won't be in future episodes, since I expect the mysteries to take place in different locations each time. I doubt a maid from this one will show up elsewhere. The seiyuu may of course do other parts. She'll probably be hard to identify unless someone can read the credits.

EDIT: Found her in the credits. Anyone recognive the kanji?

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-07-06 at 11:21.
Old 2004-07-06, 11:31   Link #20
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
no, but I'm excited about the show. Agatha Christie is awesome! (Or was... I think she's dead ) Anyway though, as long as they do it well, I'll be thrilled.

...most book (like a regular novel not manga) to movie/TV series transitions don't go so well, sadly.

But anyway, if it's good, IT MUST BE SUBBED! MUST, you hear me?!?
Closed Thread