AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-06, 21:34   Link #1
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko

Soreyuke! Uchuu Senkan Yamamoto Yohko
25 Episode TV series (1999)

The first episode of this series has been digisubbed for the second time, and I am looking forward to seeing more of it - just like last time ^_^;;;

The show certainly had a few things to recommend it to anime fans ca. 1999 - very nice OP and ED songs from Masami Okui, Megumi Hayashibara in an important role, space battles, videogames and a gaggle of cute girls. The character design was a nice update from the preceding two OAV series (licensed by ADV for quite awhile now).

Although the story is a fairly anemic adventure plot (schoolgirls in oddly bloodless space combat), a certain gimmick involved in recruiting them isn't bad. And lots of similar shows don't rely so much on action as on character.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-10-08 at 20:28.
Old 2004-08-06, 21:44   Link #2
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I just couldnt understand the plot of the series, so I dropped after watching the ep 6, and I continued watching something else ..

I liked the opening of this series, for loli lovers, its good

Last edited by Yamano667; 2004-08-06 at 22:10.
Old 2004-08-07, 01:56   Link #3
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

The two OVAs are licensed by TRSI not ADV.

As for more. We're planning on doing more (Infinite-Zero) but we've been busy (i.e. me, the translator). We hopefully are going to have 2 and 3 out soon.
Old 2004-08-07, 11:21   Link #4
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
i hope you all enjoyed our (Aoi) lil fansub of this under appreciated (exuse the spelling lol) series...

We'll be releasing epsiode 2 sunday or monday. depending how fast it gets the go from the QC'ers ^_^
Old 2004-08-07, 11:36   Link #5
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Yohko plays video games, I must marry her ^^.
Need to see more before judgement is passed, but I like the older 1999 anime look in the midst of current anime.
Old 2004-08-07, 12:19   Link #6
Lazarus

Yamano667:

1 - Is there more to that pic from your sig?
2 - Is there a larger version of your avatar pic?

If so, for either, would you mind posting them?

Last edited by Lazarus; 2004-08-07 at 20:35.
Old 2004-08-07, 17:46   Link #7
Marine-RX179

All I could say is....thumb's up for the OP and ED song by Okui Masami, two thumbs up for the great casts of seiyuu for the characters....as for the plot.....still can't tell much and it's still a little bit confused after watching only 1 episode....
I'm guessing those 'space battles' are not actually 'wars', but more like 'competition battles', which is kinda similar to Angelic Layer's plot may be.....?

Another thing is the the art style for the characters is a bit.....don't know exactly how to describe it.....the characters are not quite 'kakoii or moe' enough....the character design seem ok, but I just think may be the drawing can be done even better......
May be that's because I've been watching way too much new animes lately, making the older animes's artwork looking not as good =.=

Last edited by Marine-RX179; 2004-08-07 at 18:00.
Old 2004-08-07, 17:51   Link #8
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
The show certainly had a few things to recommend it to anime fans ca. 1999 - very nice OP and ED songs from Masami Okui, Megumi Hayashibara in an important role, space battles, videogames and a gaggle of cute girls. The character design was a nice update from the preceding two OAV series (licensed by ADV for quite awhile now).

Although the story is a fairly anemic adventure plot (schoolgirls in oddly bloodless space combat), a certain gimmick involved in recruiting them isn't bad. And lots of similar shows don't rely so much on action as on character.
When I saw the OVA from Right Stuff, I had already seen the TV series and was mostly looking to answer some questions about the back-story that the TV version never covered. Man was I dissappointed.

For story, character design, acting, concept, direction and art, the TV series is superior in almost every way to the OVA. It still amazes me that the 'follow up' TV show was so much better. Animation is about the only area in which the OVA beats the show. The low budget is pretty obvious from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
i hope you all enjoyed our (Aoi) lil fansub of this under appreciated (exuse the spelling lol) series...

We'll be releasing epsiode 2 sunday or monday. depending how fast it gets the go from the QC'ers ^_^
I greatly appreciate any effort to get this series released with decent quality. All of the jokes about Madoka's reflective forehead work much better when you can actually make out what's going on.

BTW, I didn't compare the entire episode, but... for the OP song at least, and the first few minutes it looked like you guys were using the same translation as the old VHS fansubs that have been around for ages. I don't know who did them, since they are from back in the day before people added their own credits to a fansub, but if it is the case, I hope due credit is given.
Old 2004-08-07, 17:53   Link #9
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Soreyuke! Uchuu Senkan Yamamoto Yohko
26 Episode TV series (1999)
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention... 25 episodes with a 1 hour finale, so it works out to the same amount of footage as 26 eps.
Old 2004-08-07, 18:15   Link #10
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
BTW, I didn't compare the entire episode, but... for the OP song at least, and the first few minutes it looked like you guys were using the same translation as the old VHS fansubs that have been around for ages. I don't know who did them, since they are from back in the day before people added their own credits to a fansub, but if it is the case, I hope due credit is given.
Yea, we're using Delmo Operation's scripts, so all translation credits goto them.
We, of course, had an editor look at the scripts and checked the translations, there were some minor mistakes wich were fixed.

If you didn't notice, we gave credits for translations to Delmo Operations in the OP.
And, these scripts were given to us by the lead guy from DO. Thanks fly out to him aswell ^_^
Old 2004-08-07, 18:37   Link #11
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Well the sig was made combining two wallies into one using photoshop CS (word worth characters )
and the avatar was taken from a Hentai CG onegai twins pic ...nothing special ehh ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus

Yamano667:

1 - Is there more to that pic from your sig?
2 - Is there a larger version of your avatar pic?

If so, for either, would you mind posting them?

Last edited by Yamano667; 2004-08-07 at 19:23.
Old 2004-08-07, 23:18   Link #12
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Uh, you guys were using the Delmo's scripts? I ran over those scripts and found numerous errors with it. I hope your editors are doing a ton of work with it to clean it up.
Old 2004-08-08, 08:06   Link #13
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

There were some errors, but not that much. I, personally, seen more in other scripts lol.
Old 2004-08-08, 14:55   Link #14
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

I found those scripts to have had about a 30-40% error rate if not higher on some of them which is why I just did the whole thing from scratch rather than wade through a mess like that. ;p
Old 2004-08-08, 15:37   Link #15
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

I wouldn't say 30-40% lol... there are mistakes, you'll see that in every single script , no matter who did it =p
thats why we check the translations and double check the editing (by 2 editors)...
Old 2004-08-08, 22:14   Link #16
hooliganj
Team Player

What mistakes I could notice were technical in nature. The spirit of any given line remained intact. Iwas a total newb when I first watched them, so it's hard to say for sure. Looking back, that's actually how I've come to prefer my translations, favoring the spirit or readability of a line rather than a pure technical translation.

Anyhow, it's great that they're getting credit for their work. I'll look forward to your releases from here on out. It's great to finally see a clean copy.
Old 2004-08-10, 09:02   Link #17
mintyfresh
Altoid

I'm really quite glad that this series is being subbed -- i managed to get my hands on some raws a couple of years ago and i haven't forgot it since. I'm really excited to see this series to the end (i hear the end is the best part, anyhow.. ^^).

Many thanks to Aoi.
Old 2004-11-24, 16:08   Link #18
Ayanami9870
ANBU Editor/QC
*Fansubber

Can you clarify what exactly Delmo's Operations is?
Old 2006-06-17, 10:05   Link #19
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
The episodes are really "dribbling" out slowly-better later than never-I guess.
Old 2006-06-17, 13:14   Link #20
tritoch

I saw this show on cable tv (axn) way back 2001. This is one good show hopefully it gets subbed and shared to the anime community.
Closed Thread