AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-22, 02:45   Link #1
Seipherwood

Beet the Vandel Buster: Excellion

Has anyone heard any info on this ? I think its like a 2nd season of Beet the Vandel Buster but im not sure
Seipherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 13:29   Link #2
jpwong

It's the direct anime sequel to Beet the Vandel Buster. It runs 26 episodes, it has finished airring in Japan. No sequel has replaced it as far as I know at this time.

As for how it compares up to the manga. You can think of it as an entire season of filler. If they do produce a third season of Beet once the manga advances sufficiently and they do follow it, you'd probably be able to skip Excellion and not miss too much except maybe an odd reference to one of the villians.
Old 2007-05-06, 14:11   Link #3
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

I have seen 9 eps of it its "ok" but filler ish, I hope they finish subbing it because Ilumination is a 4kids hack who dosent deserve the property its talentless hacks like that that has driven me completely away from domestic releases and its not just the "for kids" crowd either half of the non kiddy dubbers cant sub to save thier life...
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 15:01   Link #4
ZippyDSM

Oh I didn't know it was license at the time,dosent matter someone finished the subs and I am happy ^^

its a shame Ilumation is doing a hack job as bad as 4kids on beet,another hacked localized domestic release to boycott...
Old 2008-09-19, 22:19   Link #5
persiandragon

does anyone know the insert song that is played in the middle of episode 23?
persiandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 11:58   Link #6
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
This review covers both seasons of the title (plain and Excelion)

Ever wondered what is a fair way to use while giving scores to anime titles? It’s about finding an average title at your opinion and using that as the base score. Anything else can be compared to this average series and its score can be calculated accordingly. It doesn’t matter if some genres don’t look like they can be compared; you are just using a point of reference.
And this is what Beet is all about. An anime as average as heck. Not bad but not good. Not ugly but not pretty. It is the most basic form of a shounen series and a great way to use as comparison material to all others.

Let’s start with the setting. It is an average Jrpg pseudo-medieval world, where monsters attack humans and heroes are taking up arms to fight them. Is there anything else to it? Heck, no. Just like a typical adventure, it’s about going to area A, fighting the monsters, defeating the boss, and then moving to area B where the procedure repeats. The only thing that differs is the side characters and the equipment used.
That’s the entire story to it. It deserves to get a 5 for being just that… But I will give it a 4. Why? Well, there is no ending. The first season is short linear arcs and the second a single big one that follow the same formula. But there is no end on sight; just another adventure awaiting the heroes beyond the horizon. Well thanks for nothing.

The cast is easy to figure out. The main hero is the typical “immature boy with hidden talent and super weapon”, next to it is the token useless girl in mini skirt, the fluffy mascot, the heartless monsters, etc. There is no reason to describe them; take the most basic character archetypes and you can figure them up immediately. Occasionally the series will try to grey their personalities a bit but by the end of the arc it will always revert them to the usual bipolar of good humans or evil monsters. The second season definitely does a better job at it but still means nothing special in overall.
The cast deserves to get a 5 for being average again… But also gets a 4 because the story is incomplete; denying them a catharsis or actual development.

The art is ok… for an average work. Like straight out of a videogame, everything is made to look like it is a world based on levels and spells. I mean, the heroes and the monsters have numbers on them, showing their level, there are seers giving you money for completing missions, there are magic items you buy to improve your stats and bazaars where you buy monster minions. It otherwise has nothing great or special to show, as the battles are rather simplistic and the budget a bit low. There is no great body language, or great choreography, or great decoration on buildings and clothes.
The animation is a 5 once more… but I will give it a 6 for at least adding the whole Jrpg fuss with the levels and the shops. It was funny to see it outside of the games.

The sound is… um… I don’t remember a thing. The dialogues were the usual “train, fight, protect others”, the voice acting was nothing much. But the music score? I don’t remember the slightest. Yeah, that can only mean it was passable as heck.
Sound gets a 5 and this one has no reason to get a cookie up or down. It really is average.

So, what about the enjoyment? Was it also average? You bet; it was so straightforward there was no option to think otherwise. But guess what; because it was left incomplete I once more make it a 4.

And value? Erm… average anime don’t get an average score here. To be honest, there is little to no value in this series. There is nothing you won’t find better (or worse) elsewhere and as a rule of the thump good or bad series are memorable while average are forgotten right away. So I give it a 2. Maybe some rookies will be fond of it for a while or something. But that’s it.

Average: 4.2 / 10 (You thought the average score would be 5, didn’t you?)

SUGGESTION LIST
Berserk (dark fantasy)
Mahoujin Guruguru (parody)
Slayers (comedy)
Record of Lodoss War (sword and sorcery)
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 12:02   Link #7
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
snip
I enjoyed it more than most I give it a 6, Deltroa quest I happily give a 4.5 to.

Excelion felt like dumb filler half the time tho.