AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-26, 09:08   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Tokimeki Memorial ~ Only Love ~

Genre: Romance

Expected Release Date: October 3, 2006

There is a 2 episode OVA for this title released in 1999, Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You. This show is based on a game. The OVA was nice but it was too short, so the announcement for a TV series should make a lot of the game players real happy. The character design also looks promising. I'll be looking forward to it. Synopsis is in the following as taken from animenfo:
One spring afternoon,、only Ooga Riku (name subject to change) has transferred to Tsumugino Private High School,、and for some reason young students are chasing him. Gripped in his hand is a cat-earred headband, and because of the pursuing party, Riku runs from place to place, thinking his innermost thoughts.
"Why am I the only one like this!"
Nevertheless, Riku's soul screams、 causing the heartlessness of the young student's roar to cease to a close.
"Amamiya-san, anybody and everybody mustn't take over!"
......Below one's eyes spreads the ocean and upon a slightly elevated hill the mammoth-size school is to be built, the stage of Tsumugino Private High School will unfold in this romantic comedy, "Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~"
An exchange student who's main characteristic is nothing special, a young student "Ooga Riku" focus is his friends, and the students of Madonna Academy's whose heart's experiance can be described as that of a encouraged, bustling high school student. Without knowing why, every day troubles tend to swallow up Ooga Riku.

Can we expect Riku to encourage himself and lead a high school life?
And can he find love with the flawlessly beautiful girl "Amamiya Sayuri," the robust daughter who loves to love, "Kasuga Tsukasa," or the younger sister type and swimming girl, "Yayoi Mina?"
Living one's life now as a high school student, a person who was formally a high school student、and someone who will become a high school student、a true new feeling of a high school student's significance, a new world of "Tokimemo" is beginning!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 13:22   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the last 2 ova's were a sad attempt to milk the franchise, i did not really appreciate that. do they plan on releasing a new game after this new ova?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 14:28   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
do they plan on releasing a new game after this new ova?
Well, I imagine part of it is an effort to promote the Tokimeki Memorial MMORPG.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 21:31   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
the last 2 ova's were a sad attempt to milk the franchise, i did not really appreciate that. do they plan on releasing a new game after this new ova?
This is actually a full fledged TV series, not an OVA series. The production company for the series, AIC A.S.T.A, is the same one who did Gun X Sword. I thought Gun X Sword was a pretty decent series, so I'm expecting nothing less than "decent" from this one too.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 22:13   Link #5
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Hmm, about time for a TV series based on the famous Tokimeki Memorial francise. Too bad none of the characters from the previous games (Tokimeki Memorial - Forever With You et al) may show up (to this day Shiori Fujisaki from the first Tokimemo game is still one of my favorite game/anime characters).

Just out of curiosity, I used Atlas to translate the characters page on Konami's website, and the redhead's name ended up translated as "Haruhi Hilt" (another Haruhi? Is that name a new trend in anime or something?)
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-27, 02:48   Link #6
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil
Hmm, about time for a TV series based on the famous Tokimeki Memorial francise. Too bad none of the characters from the previous games (Tokimeki Memorial - Forever With You et al) may show up (to this day Shiori Fujisaki from the first Tokimemo game is still one of my favorite game/anime characters).
- I will refrain from plugging my webpage, then. The Shiori Fujisaki Shrine hasn't been updated in ages. ^_^

On-topic, I'd like to see how they do with this one. The older OVA was basically much like many game-to-anime at the time, basically something made to appeal to fans without really thinking about what non-fans will think-seeing as they were aimed at a captive market. Second, the OVA was done by Studio Pierrot, which did have a problem with quality control with other series they've worked on (Fushigi Yuuig, Yuu Yuu Hakusho), so I wasn't altogether surprised that it wasn't as good as I hoped.

But for god's sake, please do not let them make ad videos using badly-rendered 3D renditions of the characters. It's almost satanic in their cheesiness...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 08:15   Link #7
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Well, given that (based on the school uniform designs) this is likely based on the MMORPG release, Tokimeki Memorial Online, since it's a multiplayer game (which does not have a clearly defined storyline, if ever it had one), the producers would likely be free to come up with an original storyline for this series (let's just hope it's a good one).

I doubt they'd go with 3D rendered characters on this one (which doesn't seem to click anyway with regards to the current trend in anime series; and besides, Tokimeki Memorial 3 was the only instance of using fully 3D rendered characters, and Konami stopped there and went back to the traditional 2D design with TM: Girls' Side and TMO).
Old 2006-08-29, 07:12   Link #8
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Well, given that (based on the school uniform designs) this is likely based on the MMORPG release, Tokimeki Memorial Online, since it's a multiplayer game (which does not have a clearly defined storyline, if ever it had one), the producers would likely be free to come up with an original storyline for this series (let's just hope it's a good one).

I doubt they'd go with 3D rendered characters on this one (which doesn't seem to click anyway with regards to the current trend in anime series; and besides, Tokimeki Memorial 3 was the only instance of using fully 3D rendered characters, and Konami stopped there and went back to the traditional 2D design with TM: Girls' Side and TMO).
There is an actual main story line you can follow in the MMORPG game, and it looks like they'll be using that.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 16:08   Link #9
Eleutheria
旅行癖

First episode is out. Judging by the description on animenfo, it sounds like a... generically generic high school harem romance with no gimmicks.
Old 2006-10-02, 16:13   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The first episode of this show was surprisingly funny, actually! It's definitely based on the MMORPG. The little yellow chick kicks some serious butt! I also liked the completely insane teachers, including the one voiced by Daisuke Kishio (Suginami from D.C.). The main lead being chased around by throngs of angry male students will definitely remind some people of Shuffle, though this was orchestrated by outside forces. All in all, the first episode was a lot funnier than I thought it'd be, and playing on the MMO quirks (like equipping accessories) helps that way. I think it'll give way to a bit more serious romance later on, but episode 1 was pretty fun.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 19:59   Link #11
JarOfMayo

For a first episode... actually pretty impressive.

Enjoyable... lol Well I guess as much as it has some base in the MMORPG it is for the most part its own original source... So its kinda... exciting? good to have something for once that doesn't have a related medium to compare it to. One of the first things I noticed is that it has a HUGE cast...

So the success points for this at least are keeping up the quality of the animation, developing whatever story they plan on following, while keeping it fresh and... attracting. Like the accessories bit little things like that made the first episode strangely... unique and good in its own right.

No clue/opinion about the cast though... I wouldn't be surprised if few are ever really touched on, but the story to develop you probably only need a few, and the rest to be support. Its definitely a change from just "generic student #424525" and "generic teacher #3", just wondering how well its gonna turn out.

A surprising viewing for me. Was just gonna get premiere episodes all this week and was waiting for the more hyped shows, but I think I might stick with this one after judging the next episode.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 20:25   Link #12
Srin Tuar
無謀

Hrm, a very hectic first episode, lots of running around and excitement.
Nothing really special about the first episode to distinguish it from the rabble of other shows.
But there seems to be some potential for interesting developments, so I'll at least watch a few more episodes.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 20:51   Link #13
deshi
Vetern L-R anime watcher

Send a message via AIM to deshi
sounds interesting, I might just have to watch it, I just finished Zero no Tsukaima, Uchyuu no Stellvia, and Steel Angel Kurumi, so I need another series to watch.....
deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 21:08   Link #14
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Alright that first episode was just WEIRD! Well those head accessories (mostly comprising of animal ears) might seem like standard issue in the game to make it more fun, but they look ridiculous in the anime (what kind of school actually permits those things?), though what happened at the end of the episode suggests they must have some kind of status value (and in the same light, those hairstyles ranging from afros to "antenna" styles are also off the wall). Then there are those weird teachers (like that well endowed woman who wears her blouse open, the opera singer, and the mad scientist who probably got his quirks from Tokimeki Memorial 1's Yuina Himoo), and most of all the animal mascot (despite its tiny size, that yellow chick sure kicked arse big time! TM1's koala was annoying enough). Oh and the running around/wild chases were just... no comment
Spoiler:

However there are the elements borrowed from the older games that give me a sense of nostalgia, like the popular girl Amamiya Sayuri (she reminds me of TM1's Shiori Fujisaki, down to her personality), and the tree she lounges at (like TM1's Legendary Tree). At least those elements keep this series interesting. Can't wait for the subs.
Old 2006-10-02, 21:23   Link #15
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Spoiler:
If you don't want to wait for the subs:

Spoiler:
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 22:16   Link #16
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-03, 02:27   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The character designs were nice. But that's it. Nothing else of interest, for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 03:16   Link #18
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
I'm liking Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~ more than Lovedol ~Lovely Idol~ currently, mainly because it exceeded my expectations for the show. Riku's constant flashbacks to times earlier in the day were confusing at first, but they didn't hinder the quality too much. I found his teachers to be simply hilarious. I want a lit teacher who kind of dies during lecture!

Episode 1 Screen Captures & Summary

I think I'll watch at least two or three more episodes of this show.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-07 at 06:52.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 03:30   Link #19
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the game is still in Beta testing right? has anyone tried it yet?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 20:42   Link #20
Eleutheria
旅行癖

First episode, watched. Elicited a few smiles, no laughs, and more than a few groans at the bountiful cliches:

Sportsgirl chara! "Oh, that was so hard-o just now!"
Bookworm chara! (too dumb to stand on a chair or footstool for her book)
Homosexual chara! Of course he's all dolled up and in a dress!

Why can't a sports chara ever be seen reading books? Or a bookworm be good at a sport? Hmm??

Main characters
Girl: Perfectly flat personality (i.e. can be summed up in one sentence)
Boy: Also perfectly flat.

In fact there doesn't seem to be any round characters; no angst on the horizon either.

The only redeeming feature is the piyopiyo. And some of the bouncy body parts.

2/10

Tags
aic, aic a.s.t.a., comedy, drama, konami, romance, school life