AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Kyou Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 67 33.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 16.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 44 22.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 16.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 6.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.51%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-02, 00:50   Link #41
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

I don't feel the need to repeat what others have stated with the rushing so I will just say this... I was disheartened by the lack of impact from the break-up scene for the Ryou/Tomoya relationship. That moment in the VN was so very powerful both on a dramatic and emotional level; here I felt it was lacking considerably in comparison.

This OVA suffered for pretty much the same reasons that the latest episode FMA suffered from. They tried to cram too much into one episode while skipping some other scenes that bring the whole thing together at a natural pace.

That being said I still enjoyed this episode on its own for what its worth. Could it have been better? Absolutely. But I think Kyoani needed more time to do it right. I do give them props tho for the way they made Kyou look there in the final couple of scenes. I think she looks better with the hair cut to shoulder length like that than with the longer hair, so I guess that's one thing I give the nod for this version over the VN.
Old 2009-07-02, 01:10   Link #42
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Yeah...I think the short hair scene seemed a bit random. (haven't played the VN yet, but I will someday!) Emo Kyou is nicely drawn though! =)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-07-02, 02:43   Link #43
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Yeah...I think the short hair scene seemed a bit random. (haven't played the VN yet, but I will someday!) Emo Kyou is nicely drawn though! =)
Agree with you there, though it felt to me like almost all of the scenes were random... In the game there were more scenes and Tomoya narrative leading up to each event shown in the OVA so it all felt much more natural.
Old 2009-07-02, 02:57   Link #44
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

It took them 20 minutes to visually represent what took me several hours to accomplish. Gah.
Old 2009-07-02, 03:00   Link #45
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I kind of expected it to turn out this way. I mean there was so much in this route that they had to condense into 20 minutes. All they could do was pick select scenes and jump quickly between them. Even the scenes themselves were abrupt. Of course it is better than nothing. Just something that would have required a few OVA episodes to really cover.

At least it reminded me of the good points in the actual route. There were some good times there. Some sad moments along the way of course, but overall worth it.

Overall the episode was rushed. But still glad I watched it and some parts were pretty nice.
Old 2009-07-02, 03:47   Link #46
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Just finished watching it and I gotta say, it didn't have quite an emotional impact like Tomoyo's episode. It felt rushed (I also had a problem with the transitions) and the art wasn't really at par but despite that, it was still nice to see more Kyou.
Old 2009-07-02, 06:51   Link #47
typhonsentra

I noticed that even though this was supposed to be her story they purposely avoided having Tomoya showing her any affection after the confession. He said he liked her unconsciously the one time and hugged her when she cried before but after that in the epilogue section it was all her expressing her feelings to a brick wall. Weird.

Kyou's story is kinda hard to do though. You don't have to really establish her liking him as it's been explored so much in the other stories but the hurdle is finding a way for him to develop feelings for her and work out all her problems with her sister in 25 minutes which I guess isn't possible. Or the original scenario was just shitty.
Old 2009-07-02, 07:09   Link #48
Justin Kim
*Artist

Tomoyo's episode by far exceeds this one. Maybe it is because it involved two girls instead of one. Although, yes, it was rushed at many parts considering they had to cram it in 20-21 minutes.
Old 2009-07-02, 07:33   Link #49
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
I knew the short hair scene would confuse a lot of people.

Kyou cut her hair and confronted Tomoya because partly she wanted to hear what Tomoya really had to say, partly because she was not sure what would happen if Kyou confronted Tomoya directly and partly because she wanted to know if Tomoya still had feelings for Ryou.

Unfortunately, this episode failed to bring out the impact of that scene. *Sigh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-02, 09:07   Link #50
jillybutt

As for me, the kissing scenes surprised me so much that I wanted more kissing going on instead of the story or the characters' feelings. Hahahahaha...
Old 2009-07-02, 09:09   Link #51
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I hope there's room in the "this was a mixed bag" boat, 'cause I'm on board as well.

Spoiler for What I liked:

Spoiler for What I did not like:

7/10 for me, if only because this at least satisfies my desire to see a TomoyaxKyou end. However, it got nowhere near the level of treatment Tomoyo's OVA got.
Old 2009-07-02, 11:24   Link #52
Starlight

8/10 from me, it's great to see Clannad again. The art was great in the OVA but like everyone else I thought it was a bit rushed and didn't have the impact of the VN.
Old 2009-07-02, 11:46   Link #53
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Spoiler for What I did not like:
Totally agree. He ought to have been introduced as a hope for Ryou at the end. I felt so sorry for Ryou.

Anyway, I think it would be really interesting to see a Nagisa chapter where Tomoya picked another girl. What would her life had been like without Tomoya?
Old 2009-07-02, 12:00   Link #54
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm unsure if it is because of my tastes or whatnot, but I felt the storytelling much more appealing than Tomoyo OVA.
Arguably Kyou OVA lack much more build up, because the focus and the interactions span for more events (and involve 3 persons anyway), but even so, I felt it more engaging and less forced than Tomoyo OVA (notably how I could empathize much easier with the Fujibayashi twins' anguish, in contrast with that problem with Tomoyo).

Ultimately, both incarnations really got the bare minimum of the most important scenes of their respective routes so it isn't anything surprising it comes to this.
Old 2009-07-02, 14:36   Link #55
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm unsure if it is because of my tastes or whatnot, but I felt the storytelling much more appealing than Tomoyo OVA.
Arguably Kyou OVA lack much more build up, because the focus and the interactions span for more events (and involve 3 persons anyway), but even so, I felt it more engaging and less forced than Tomoyo OVA (notably how I could empathize much easier with the Fujibayashi twins' anguish, in contrast with that problem with Tomoyo).

Ultimately, both incarnations really got the bare minimum of the most important scenes of their respective routes so it isn't anything surprising it comes to this.
Looking at it from that angle I guess you could say the story-telling was more appealing but then again, it could boil down to personal preferences. The Kyou chapter just had more drama packed into it so it depends on the person considering not everyone likes drama. Not to say that the Tomoyo chapter didn't have any drama but the issue that kept them apart didn't feel like it was such a big deal, at least to me.

Either way, I thought Ryou would become the girl that goes out of her way to make Tomoya love her but I was pleasantly surprised to see her understand in the end and let him go although I didn't like how they left her completely out of the break-up or at least how it was portrayed.

On a side note, the rain scene was executed really well, easily my favorite scene. Although I missed Kyou's energy and enthusiasm

I haven't mentioned it yet but I also gave this series a 7/10.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-02, 15:24   Link #56
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Was alright wasn't as good as the Tomoyo arc. But there were kiss scenes \^-^ NO KAPPEI WTF!!! >.> Even if they had him with Ryou instaed of some random friend would have been good u_u.

The cut hair scene didn't make any sense in that they did not have Tomoya say that he liked short hair. Which they should have shown in order for it to make sense.
Old 2009-07-02, 15:39   Link #57
Fushichou7

Kyou > All, IMO.

Tomoyo and Nagisa's arcs were just too...what's the word...they didn't feel right...
Old 2009-07-02, 18:25   Link #58
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Just watched Tomoyo OVA and I have to say that was a bit sad. But I thought in the end they wouldn't end up together so it could still tie in that Tomoya is single and eventually gets with Nagisa.

The Kyou OVA was good and all but it definitely felt rushed. If it was divided into 2-3 eps then it could have been a lot better.
Old 2009-07-02, 19:09   Link #59
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I feared it'll end up like School Days lol but its Kyoani so maybe

Finally Kyou have her time with Tomoya . She's cute ^^ I prefer when she had long hair .
Poor Ryou but its the life . Fast episode but still pass .
Youhei : "I'd get both" AHAH it was great ^^
Next extra : Tomoya x Kotomi ? Tomoya x Fuko ?
Old 2009-07-02, 19:30   Link #60
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
I feared it'll end up like School Days lol but its Kyoani so maybe

Finally Kyou have her time with Tomoya . She's cute ^^ I prefer when she had long hair .
Poor Ryou but its the life . Fast episode but still pass .
Youhei : "I'd get both" AHAH it was great ^^
Next extra : Tomoya x Kotomi ? Tomoya x Fuko ?
I don't think we'll get any OVAs for Kotomi and Fuuko because the 1st season went through their routes pretty thoroughly. Kyou and Tomoyo needed an alternate world episode because their routes involved a more romantic theme that wouldn't work with Nagisa as the anime's main heroine.
Closed Thread