Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-12, 03:11   Link #621
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEE View Post
oh yes, maaya sakamoto is one of the VA right?
Yes. She voices Sarina Endou.

& for those wanting the full version of Haruka Tomatsu's insert song 'Monochrome' that's used during the transformation scenes, it'll be released with the first DVD/Blu-ray.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-10-12 at 13:17.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 13:18   Link #622
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelia aurita View Post
At the screening at NYAF today, it was left untranslated in the subtitles as "Ginga Bishounen". Someone asked Bones president Minami Masahiko what it meant in English, and the translator actually said it means "Galactic Pretty Boy" (couldn't hear if Minami said it directly himself).

Other stuff:
* they handed out a "World of Star Driver" booklet, all in Japanese
* when you do the KIRABOSHI, make sure your thumb is pointing down
* the 1.2% rating seems to be true, Minami chalked it up to a famous golfer playing on another channel at the same time
* penchi (pliers)/pinch/punch -> pinch...ers/pinch/punch. A lot of other stuff was left untranslated like the festival leftovers (though this one had a TL note), and the organization name ("juuji dan")
* the academy is actually an ordinary academy
* the Cybodies have characteristics based on the meaning of the Phoenician letter associated with them, I think (I can't remember too much from this part, someone add more please)
* no OP played, which Minami said they didn't finish on time, but they played the ED song with the credits and a bunch of clips from episode 2
Hi Aurelia. KIRABOSHI.

Minami said "ginga puriti boi" after Ku (the interpreter) said it to reinforce. There was also, "Well. Takuto is a boy. Who is pretty. On a galactic scale." bayoab transcribed it, but he didn't really capture how amusing Ku was about Ginga Bishonen and school life. (Can't really blame him.)

As for the 1.2% rating, I'm the one who asked that question actually... when Minami realized what I had asked, he had this mixture of surprise and amusement on his face and he started laughing, so idk how serious the Ishikawa comment was. Ginga Bishonen vs Golf Bishonen. Fight-o.

Star Driver was the 4th most recorded show though.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 13:55   Link #623
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol. So on top of everything else, he has a sparkly chest now...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 13:59   Link #624
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEE View Post
oh yes, maaya sakamoto is one of the VA right?
For anyone who haven't seen it, I have a characters/seiyuus page up, with pics of each character and their seiyuu, along with info about the character and the seiyuu.

I still don't like the translation "gpb" (can't even bring myself to write it), no matter what Minami-san said. Never trust Japanese to know the connotations of words in English. To me, "pretty boy" gets across only the humorous side of "bishounen," and not the "handsome young man" side. It sounds more effeminate in English than I think it does in Japanese. Of course, never trust a foreigner to know the connotations of words in Japanese, lol. In any case, I prefer "Galaxy Bishounen" to either "gpb" or "ginga bishounen." There's no question that the translation I don't like is adding some popularity to the show, however, so if I were Minami-san, I'd probably use it, too.

Translations aside, I am sure enjoying the show, though. I really like Sakamoto Maaya's character. I also like Benio (pink hair) and Kanako (the over-done voice seems to work).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 14:50   Link #625
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Minami can speak English. He was talking to us in English in the start. When it turned into Q+A and they got more in depth, he was definitely more comfortable using Japanese. This is pretty understandable. He was laughing at my question before the interpreter said anything to him. (I asked in English.)

Edit: Also, "Never trust Japanese to know the connotations of words in English." goes in reverse too, tyvm.

Last edited by Schneizel; 2010-10-12 at 15:40.
Old 2010-10-12, 15:00   Link #626
superzombie23

Can someone explain the part about "But it looks like he's already lost his heart to Sugata Shindo," when they're talking about Scarlet Kiss's power. Are they talking about boy-boy love here or it means something else lol.
superzombie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 17:35   Link #627
Aurelia aurita
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
Hi Aurelia. KIRABOSHI.

As for the 1.2% rating, I'm the one who asked that question actually... when Minami realized what I had asked, he had this mixture of surprise and amusement on his face and he started laughing, so idk how serious the Ishikawa comment was. Ginga Bishonen vs Golf Bishonen. Fight-o.
That's how I recognized you! KIRABOSHI.

He sounded semi-serious to me though despite everyone's lamenting about ratings, I'm still expecting good things from this show though. Nice combination of serious and mock-serious (in the show and in real life ).
Aurelia aurita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 18:47   Link #628
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

W00t! At the very least, Wako does care for Sugata, despite her 'interest' in Takuto, as Sugata is 'not like the others'. ^_^

Now just to get more clues from 'cool and composed' Sugata, as it's still not clear if he wants to push Takuto towards Wako because he does indeed think of Wako's happiness rather than because he wants out of the engagement... but I'm happy with what transpired this episode, so I'll leave it alone for now. XD

But what's this? Pink-haired girl's 'kiss' don't work on Takuto because he already has Sugata in his heart? Did I just read that right? LOL

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 18:51   Link #629
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I may be wrong, but gg's translations feel iffy at some points.

Particularly during the 'his heart to Sugata' and 'this is why I hate virgins' part. May be wrong though, listening only doesn't get the whole expression right.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 20:06   Link #630
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
Episode 2 was rather entertaining. I love the actions.
VEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 23:56   Link #631
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Episode 2 ratings are out. 1.7%

KIRABOSHI!
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 03:37   Link #632
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
It's the dreaded BONES effect i tell you.
Old 2010-10-13, 03:49   Link #633
Kakkou
Tch.

Damn, I could never fathom why Bones isn't appreciated enough.

KIRABOSHI!
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 04:32   Link #634
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

Particularly during the 'his heart to Sugata' and 'this is why I hate virgins' part. May be wrong though, listening only doesn't get the whole expression right.
I definitely heard Shindo in that line which is Sugata's surname so I don't know.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 05:12   Link #635
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:

KIRABOSHI!
Awwwww...
And surprisingly Funi not stick they nose to this one.
Old 2010-10-13, 05:30   Link #636
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post

Next episode is going to be directed by Shin Matsuo. Hope he will deliver.
ALLLLLRIIIIIGHHTTT!!!!!

Anyways, I am really diggin this show. I think I was totally "seduced" when they introduced the members of the Glittering Crux Brigade and they showed all the ladies in dem lucious outfits....

Anyway the pacing and tone of the show is great, it's not parody but more like a tongue in cheek homage to 70s robot shows. I was wondering if Igurashi was gonna use his little text on the screen deal, and he did.

It's officially on my fall roster now. Can't wait to see.....
Spoiler for ep 3:
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 05:33   Link #637
solomon

Quote:

KIRABOSHI!
As someone said, ratings don't mean much for this kind of show. These days you can't expect any normal kids to sit down and watch something unless it has a huge ass manga tie in anyways. (And even Naruto/Bleach ratings suck by comparison). Plus I am willing to bet that there are some competing programs in this time slot (sports and such) that just cause anime ratings to be low.

My gut tells me it'll do well in DVD sales.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 05:43   Link #638
Bombo
TSF Fans

it's so funny when they named ppl in the meeting with their speech...XD
Especially the public behind them...:
"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY "
"HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
LOOOL
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 06:08   Link #639
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

The Sugata line is vague because no one knows who "aitsu" refers to.
The heart part = Horeteru verb = Fall in love with.
After talking about it, the translator + editor agreed to change it to refer to Benio because of the use of "mo" and Benio being the subject on the previous line. I don't think this makes any fucking sense because uh Benio and Sugata haven't even interacted on-screen but apparently Japanese bloggers/2ch agree and that's that. Herp.

We're going to hit v10 on this series. I can feel it.

Other line = error tho, afaik.
Old 2010-10-13, 06:38   Link #640
Key Board
Carbon

1.5% TV rating is actually good for this kind of show

To compare

Pokemon which is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE franchise in Japan normally gets 6% rating

One Piece is around 8%

Pretty Cure around 5%

Bleach is around 3.5 to 4%

Code Geass average was around 3%