AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-04-02, 07:28   Link #461
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I don't really consider copy and pasting Final Destination to be direction, but then again defending Glasslip is silly too.
At least it's a direction albeit whether or not thought you thought it was bad. Glasslip though is like an anime that tried to relied on themes that came from Noe's head or something, because it was incoherent, wacky (in a bad way) and way too eccentric and nonsensical for its own good.

Quote:
Well, it's nice when shows take advantage of their premise well, instead of taking a magnificent concept and taking the piss with it to make it utterly generic. I dunno, like Golden Time. Shirobako knew what it was doing and sought to achieve that goal, and it did it at a more sincere level. Now, of course nobody sane is going to argue Shirobako is a documentary trying to expose the troubles of the industry but it did go ahead and bring up all the hard work that goes into it without devolving into self-congraulatory bullshit like a m night shyamalan work. Also most of Shaft stuff I see gives that vibe.
I like it how you're implying that hating Shaft is now the new cool thing. Kyoani is too boring eh . To be fair though, Shaft has had a few good shows like Madoka so it's not all bad.

Quote:
http://mal.oko.im/Archon_Wing/fav,anime I guess they're way too high for me since a lot of what's above aren't even studios. Silly MAL. How can IG lose to them in my heart? Oh Guilty Crown. Fuck Guilty Crown.
That's doesn't seem that high imo, but then again you're right with a lot of items not even being studios. As for Guilty Crown, that's another show I think it's overhated (it was bad but less bad than the likes of Aldonoah Zero, Valverave and god forbid Cross Ange).

Quote:
Setting? At least Shinkai goes to the beach sometimes. My joke about PA is that they're always stealing sets from True Tears and Hana Saku Iroha still. Of these, at least Uchouten and Shirobako branched out a bit more but that's in the minority still. Ok, and then Angel Beats... never mind.
They are both pretty ok! Shinkai is prettier though.

Quote:
Not sure why you'd use Kyoani to compare moe to any relevant standards.
True. Borderline mentally challenged =/= moe.

Quote:
Despite what people think, I think their shows are quite distinct; it's just that they use shitty character designs as of late. IMO.
A-1 Pictures/Kyoani samefame syndrome for the loss. I blame Kaname Sekiguchi. This is what happens when you keep using the same animation director over and over again. Just kidding, Sekiguchi is best girl. Funny enough totoum is right in that the best PAW shows usually have her involvement. Though really I wish she would vary the art a little bit though Charlotte char designs so far look fantastic.

Quote:
On the other hand, it seems like they have some obsession to produce situations going "Strong female character faces unfair world [and men]", though while annoying still generates at least appreciable characters.
It's obviously because PA Works is sexist because they are a predominately female staff studio duh! Girls power! No men allowed! I bet they make fun/tease the directors too since iirc every director for their show is a male. Like the inuniverse Shirobako director!

Quote:
Not that Jun Maeda should be put on a pedestal, but no writer could have saved Angel Beats. This is what happens when your main concept is "gibusmoneyplz". Hopefully Charlotte will be something more solid.
I wonder if PA Works still would have put Charlotte in the pipeline if they knew Shirobako was going to be the seller it was.

Quote:
So True Tears, Nagiasu and Uchouten. Since you listed them in that order, I will watch them in that order.
Knowing your (terrible) tastes, I can see that happening realistically. You do like Key-anime characters after all and Nagiasu definitely reminded me of them (aka infuriating). Just kidding. Each to his own tastes. It wasn't that bad.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2015-04-02 at 09:17.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 08:33   Link #462
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Seriously, you didn't think Shribako devolved into self-congratulatory bullshit? I thought it was the straw that stirred the drink, personally - but to each their own. And it was indeed sincere, at least.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 08:36   Link #463
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
A-1 Pictures/Kyoani samefame syndrome for the loss. I blame Kaname Sekiguchi. This is what happens when you keep using the same animation director over and over again. Just kidding, Sekiguchi is best girl. Funny enough totoum is right in that the best PAW shows usually have her involvement. Though really I wish she would vary the art a little bit though Charlotte char designs so far look fantastic.
Now that you mention it. I do wonder whether Yumi Iguchi in Shirobako is the inuniverse version of Kaname Sekiguchi.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Should we blame her for how bad was PAW's fan-service? Well. Not that I mind either anyway.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 08:48   Link #464
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Seriously, you didn't think Shribako devolved into self-congratulatory bullshit? I thought it was the straw that stirred the drink, personally - but to each their own. And it was indeed sincere, at least.
I don't know if this comment is aimed at me or people who like Shirobako in general, but I don't see why it's a necessarily a problem if an anime is celebratory. I don't think Shirobako ever pretended once that it was trying to be a serious, realistic portrayal of the anime industry. It dwelled on some issues, but it in the it's isn't a documentary but entertainment. Yes it did have "moe" girls in it, but I don't see how they were obnoxious, unless you are talking about Ai.

Plus, this is one of PAW's most consistent series up there with Tari Tari whereby it was good (great imo) from start to finish. There wasn't any stinker or trainwreck episodes from memory and some episodes simply hit it out of the park.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2015-04-02 at 08:59.
Old 2015-04-02, 09:12   Link #465
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I don't know if this comment is aimed at me or people who like Shirobako in general.
Dude, Archon used the phrase in the post right above yours. You replied to it!
Old 2015-04-02, 09:20   Link #466
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Dude, Archon used the phrase in the post right above yours. You replied to it!
Didn't know who you were referring to! But now I do.

I do have to disagree though. At least what I understand of Archon when he means self-congratulatory, I think he's talking about more of the Light novel type writing when it's fanfiction wank level. I don't that's the case with Shirobako though I won't deny there is definitely a marketing element (the five main girls for example) which I know annoyed you, but like I said before I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I tend to get annoyed if such elements are overpowering a series which it didn't for Shirobako.
Old 2015-04-02, 12:38   Link #467
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
At least it's a direction albeit whether or not thought you thought it was bad. Glasslip though is like an anime that tried to relied on themes that came from Noe's head or something, because it was incoherent, wacky (in a bad way) and way too eccentric and nonsensical for its own good.

Actually if you take out the supernatural element, Glasslip makes perfect sense. I would say it has better and more consistent characterization which isn't saying much, but in the end I think it's a wash. But the later wins because it's better to look at. And the latter has chickens. And nudity.

I mean it's the same reason why you prefer Guilty Crown over that other stuff. It looks better.

Quote:
I like it how you're implying that hating Shaft is now the new cool thing. Kyoani is too boring eh . To be fair though, Shaft has had a few good shows like Madoka so it's not all bad.
While I get annoyed at a lot of their work, I don't actually hate them.

Quote:
Well, didn't she do True Tears? And at the least they stopped it with the pointy Sola chins.

Quote:
I wonder if PA Works still would have put Charlotte in the pipeline if they knew Shirobako was going to be the seller it was.
No idea myself, I don't think it works like that. But then again the blatant $$$ is obvious. But what do you expect from Key, which goes from super sterile whitewashed adaptations (Clannad) to selling stuff.... like Kud Wafter? Seriously, I saw the OP video for the later and was just like that's nothing to wafu about at all. Oh, and that perv art they're releasing for that AB VN... pretty sure that's one of the few cases where PA fanservice would be better.

Still, the most important thing is either they can't put 20543643 things in 1 cour, or try for 2 cour. Otherwise, gg.

Quote:
Knowing your (terrible) tastes, I can see that happening realistically. You do like Key-anime characters after all and Nagiasu definitely reminded me of them (aka infuriating). Just kidding. Each to his own tastes. It wasn't that bad.
I dunno man; I think I've written more in depth about series you like then you have so keep that bashing away. I'm quesitoning the Nagiasu relation beyond the fish eyed designs. If anything it seems more derivative about Okada than anything else. If I'm correct, that show focuses a lot around teen romance drama which Key isn't really about (and thank God they're not often...)

Quote:
Seriously, I do not.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 20:45   Link #468
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
When you describe something as bullshit and then turn around and say it was at least sincere, I think I start to question your own sincerity in making that statement.

I don't think Shirobako is self-congratulatory because it never came off as arrogant or full of itself. Passionate yes. Egotistical no.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 10:14   Link #469
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There's absolutely no inherent inconsistency between being self-congratulatory and sincere. Nor between bullshit and sincerity. It's not bullshit if you believe it's true.
Old 2015-04-05, 11:26   Link #470
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

It's about perceived intent, Enzo.

Perhaps you wanted to express that they really do believe their own nonsense. That's definitely what you think and that's fine. I disagree, because I feel the creators have their own experience to input into the show. When people have different life experiences, it can be hard to make sense out of it when yours is different enough.

Of course, it looked more like by you using "seriously" in a seemingly ironic tone to suggest what I said was absurd, that'd you're simply making something passive aggressive on disrespecting my post since you didn't bother to engage in any substance, and are simply trying to save face here. In that case, I do respect you for at least continuing on to clarify yourself, since I really wasn't seeing that. Perhaps you just phrased it badly, and you could work on it, for even when I'm posting opinions aggressively in disagreement, I go out of the way to try and entertain the crowd or put some kind of wit. I can't say I see that here.

Please don't try that stuff on folks again, especially against the likes of me. That pisses me off.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2015-04-05, 11:31   Link #471
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
There's absolutely no inherent inconsistency between being self-congratulatory and sincere. Nor between bullshit and sincerity. It's not bullshit if you believe it's true.
I never said these are mutually exclusive concepts, but now you're basically telling me that the creators are akin to pathological liars. If that's the angle you really want to go with here, then you have totally lost me.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 18:58   Link #472
Pocari_Sweat

Necroing this thread in regards to an announcement for one of my most tsundere favourite studios!

http://www.pa-works.jp/aisatu/index.html

Copypasta rough translation which I got from somewhere (not by me I can't read japanese)

"First, PA's boss promise they will continue being a company that excite people(like keep making original shows).

1.15th anniversary anime will announce soon(mostly later this year).
2.15th anniversary event currently planning.
3.Headquarters will move to a new building own by PA Works themselves.
4.PA Works will team up with kogumakai to launch innovative learning courses for kids.
5.PAX, a new studio under PA Works to focus on 3DCG animation.
6.PARUS, a new studio under PA Works to focus on supporting Nanto city."

Looks like PA works is gonna bring something big for their 15th anniversary. Most likely going to be an anime original. So charlotte is a filler (along with haruchika in winter 2016) series eh?

Interesting that PAW is making two subsidiary studios following the pattern of other major studios. Maybe that means they will be keeping work more in house in the future?

The Nanto partnership/arrangement is interesting. I guess we should expect more tourism shorts from now on. Or maybe their 15th anniversary project will be set in Nanto.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2015-09-16 at 19:12.
Old 2015-09-16, 20:30   Link #473
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I had to look up the air date of P.A. Works' first anime again, and it's 8 years after they were actually founded. Very progressive indeed.

I'm wondering how they'd do if their 15th anniv. project tapped into certain brands that are sweeping across Japan right now. Shirobako planted the idea in my head that anime aren't built in a day, and by the time you start channeling another franchise the train might have already left.

But does anyone know if directors can actually throw fireballs?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 20:39   Link #474
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
The Nanto partnership/arrangement is interesting. I guess we should expect more tourism shorts from now on. Or maybe their 15th anniversary project will be set in Nanto.
PA is perfect for tourism anime because they produce series with rich backgrounds.
However, there should still be a decent story or at least the tourism aspect isn't shoehorned so that it doesn't create a backlash as hard as in Rinne no Lagrange.

At the very best, they should help the community the same way they boosted the sales of the inn used as the setting for Hanasaku Iroha.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 20:53   Link #475
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
I had to look up the air date of P.A. Works' first anime again, and it's 8 years after they were actually founded. Very progressive indeed.
Can't tell if sarcastic or no .

I can say though that their character designs are regressive lately...

Quote:
I'm wondering how they'd do if their 15th anniv. project tapped into certain brands that are sweeping across Japan right now. Shirobako planted the idea in my head that anime aren't built in a day, and by the time you start channeling another franchise the train might have already left.

But does anyone know if directors can actually throw fireballs?
Need to put on cowboy suits, deflect projectiles with body parts and sparkle like you mean it obviously
Old 2015-09-16, 21:03   Link #476
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Can't tell if sarcastic or no .
Even I can't tell how sarcastic I am sometimes.
Quote:
I can say though that their character designs are regressive lately...
Charlotte is the least doey-eyed they've been since NagiAsu. The latter also proved P.A. Works can make great assets...when they want to (Tari Tari had that one shirt unbutton scene, but meh).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 21:48   Link #477
TJR

Quote:
Interesting that PAW is making two subsidiary studios following the pattern of other major studios. Maybe that means they will be keeping work more in house in the future?
It seems more strategic than anything. The 3DCG studio makes sense because P.A. Works already hired staff in that field, plus there's growing demand in the industry for those services (thus they'd be able to offer 3DCG assistance to other studios or even produce a full series in the future).

The other studio sounds like the product of financial/tax incentives from the municipal government. It could be about tourism, but the creation of a separate company seems strange. I'm thinking it's part of a job creation initiative for youth, but then again, the anime business hardly offers a bright future to most entrants.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 22:07   Link #478
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Looks like PA works is gonna bring something big for their 15th anniversary. Most likely going to be an anime original. So charlotte is a filler (along with haruchika in winter 2016) series eh?
PA Works 10th anniversary project was the dog's bollocks but I'm still going to at wait for a synopsis before I start really getting psyched.

My guess would be spring 2016, since Hanasaku Iroha aired in April 2011 rather than on PA's actual 10th anniversary of November 10, 2010. Though, HSI had already been announced by August 2010 so they're leaving the announcement later this time if this is the case.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 23:18   Link #479
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post

Charlotte is the least doey-eyed they've been since NagiAsu. The latter also proved P.A. Works can make great assets...when they want to (Tari Tari had that one shirt unbutton scene, but meh).
Hmm, I thought there were some pretty good ASSets in GlASSlip, but that probably shouldn't be discussed further.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2015-09-17, 00:16   Link #480
Pocari_Sweat

Why are we discussing PA Works fanservice...

At this point they are more face palm than kyoani and jc staff fanservice...

Tags
p.a. works, studios