AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-03, 12:13   Link #281
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
In my opinion, this is one of Tenshi's mistakes. Many people, Otonashi included, would not have fallen into Yuri's battalion had Tenshi calmly and reasonably explained the situation.
Then again, she may not be sure of what's going on either. Or, better, she's just as misguided as Yuri is and they're both wrong.

@Ice Block: While the teachers definitely look more like NPCs than the students at this point, the students looked like sheep NPCs before now and I've revised my opinion on them. I'm less inclined to assume anyone in this world is not human.

However, the teachers definitely have stronger evidence pointing to being more a part of the after-world than the students ever did. The students don't necessarily follow the crowd, after all (see episode 3). And Yuri might accuse anyone who wasn't as outspoken as her as being passive beyond forgiveness (and to my knowledge, she's the only person who has stipulated the term NPC to begin with). So it comes down to the fact that we still don't know the exact requirements to disappear, if all the students are in fact human. Maybe some people can't disappear by conforming, while others would instantly. Maybe it's all dependent on the person. But we don't know.

If the teachers are human... well... that's very difficult to defend right now, 'cause it makes little sense.

What I really want to know is if all of these humans are in fact dead before leaving school in life. Can you imagine going back to school in the afterlife after being a productive adult for years?
Old 2010-05-03, 12:36   Link #282
KanadeYuri

If Kanade doesn't know what's going on, and Yuri doesn't know what's going on, than... forget what that world exists for, who is the bad guy? :O
Old 2010-05-03, 13:02   Link #283
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Then again, she may not be sure of what's going on either. Or, better, she's just as misguided as Yuri is and they're both wrong.
True, but at least she could introduce her much more orderly point of view, reducing the chances of every new kid joining Yuri.
Old 2010-05-03, 13:13   Link #284
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
True, but at least she could introduce her much more orderly point of view, reducing the chances of every new kid joining Yuri.
Sure, but given the sheer numbers, doesn't it seem like most of the 'new kids' are joining the Order side anyway?
Old 2010-05-03, 13:24   Link #285
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Depends on what sheer numbers we're talking. Currently the difference between NPC and real human is rather vague, and Yuri herself has something of a small army underground, which makes me think most real human join Yuri.
Old 2010-05-03, 14:05   Link #286
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Depends on what sheer numbers we're talking. Currently the difference between NPC and real human is rather vague, and Yuri herself has something of a small army underground, which makes me think most real human join Yuri.
I'd forgotten about that; with that in consideration, you're right, it's sufficiently vague as to not be sure one way or the other. I'm still leaning Order, though, as I don't believe any student is non-human.
Old 2010-05-03, 14:14   Link #287
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Point taken, and plausible too. Perhaps now that Tenshi is no longer the 'enemy' Otonashi can star making conversation with her and get a different perspective on the world.
Old 2010-05-03, 14:26   Link #288
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Yeah, as I don't think we (the audience) is going to have any sort of good insight without knowing both Yuri and Tenshi Kanade's views on what exactly all of this is.
Old 2010-05-03, 15:01   Link #289
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
I don't think it's going to matter much. The people joining Yuri either simply wants to lure God out or don't want to disappear. I mean if I am someone who had a crappy life and of the mindset to put the blame on God, I won't care about someone's orderly pov. Disrupting the order is simply a mean to an end. What could change my mind is not an "orderly" argument, but something more philosophically fundamental on why I should not put the blame on God for example.
Old 2010-05-03, 15:52   Link #290
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Possibly, but assuming Tenshi talks to you first, at the very least telling you that she's just another human making her way through this world and explaining the purpose, do's and don'ts would make you consider what Yuri's words in a different light when she tries to tell you something completely different, wouldn't it?

It wouldn't stop everyone, and certainly not those who already are of a mindset to blame god for it all, but every one not joining the SSS is one more gained. Types like Otonashi could very easily joined the system normally, had Tenshi taken the time to describe the situation to them. In Otonashi's case particularly, stabbing someone through the heart may prove that you can't die, but it doesn't exactly endear people to you either.
Old 2010-05-03, 16:07   Link #291
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
In Otonashi's case particularly, stabbing someone through the heart may prove that you can't die, but it doesn't exactly endear people to you either.
pfff, scythe guy and Yuri ain't better here.
Old 2010-05-03, 16:17   Link #292
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
No one's defending Noda.

As for Yuri, maybe she learned from her mistakes?
Old 2010-05-03, 16:28   Link #293
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, but Hinata's an idiot, and like spawn said, nobody defends Noda.
Old 2010-05-03, 16:51   Link #294
Velsy

I dont too dont beleive *all* the students are npcs. I mean remember episode 3 when the students were yelling out agaisnt the teachers how they need the band ?. It was there sorce of student entertainment. I dont see NPC's being programmed to rely on a student formed band. But the ratio between npcs/real students. Like everyone else, I dont know yet <.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Check the novel thread right here in this subforum: Angel Beats! - Novel Translation Thread
Thanks ^_^

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2010-05-03 at 17:31.
Old 2010-05-03, 17:29   Link #295
Velsy

I just re-watching episode 5 now.

Does anyone think its possible Tenshi wanted to get acquainted with Otonashi ? Show some good gesture, especially since there *ruff* start. As she stabbed him in the heart and with Otonashi putting a bullet into her stomach the next meeting. Or its something she would of done for any student regardless.

I wonder if we will discover the true answer to that. Because yes, she *can* be accountable for driving him away to the SSS with actions like that.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2010-05-03, 19:07   Link #296
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy
Because yes, she *can* be accountable for driving him away to the SSS with actions like that.
Sort of, but not exactly the major part of the reason. Looking back at ep.1, it goes like this...

1) Yuri told him the "facts" about this world. Doesn't believe, walked to Tenshi.

2) Tenshi said the same thing for the most part, other than countering that she's not Tenshi and not mentioning anything about disappearance. Doesn't believe, followed by stab.

3) Noda 100-combo him to death. (more scary than Tenshi I would say...)

4) When Otonashi woke up again, he just wanted to GTFO. But Yuri convinced him to stay by saying he could be reincarnated as some low-life being if he chose to disappear.
Old 2010-05-03, 21:37   Link #297
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Sort of, but not exactly the major part of the reason. Looking back at ep.1, it goes like this...

1) Yuri told him the "facts" about this world. Doesn't believe, walked to Tenshi.

2) Tenshi said the same thing for the most part, other than countering that she's not Tenshi and not mentioning anything about disappearance. Doesn't believe, followed by stab.

3) Noda 100-combo him to death. (more scary than Tenshi I would say...)

4) When Otonashi woke up again, he just wanted to GTFO. But Yuri convinced him to stay by saying he could be reincarnated as some low-life being if he chose to disappear.
The first one killed and shocked him with pain. The later, he can still joke about it. So i guess a stab to the heart in serious mode hurt more than the 100 combos in comedy mode

Or at least the first time hurt more...
Old 2010-05-03, 23:26   Link #298
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I'd forgotten about that; with that in consideration, you're right, it's sufficiently vague as to not be sure one way or the other. I'm still leaning Order, though, as I don't believe any student is non-human.
I just recalled that there is a clear cut way of telling if one is NPC. NPC assumes the presence of humans as if they have always been there (See novel when Hinata first walked into class). While humans will recognise you as new. When Hinata moved into to the dorm with Oyama he failed to notice that Oyama said "nice to meet you" and took him for a NPC.
Old 2010-05-04, 02:00   Link #299
Kafriel
Senior Guest

This episode was half-good, part-average...the first part was hilarious, just when I settled with comedy and decided to not mind the plot, they decided to get the plot moving a bit. Does anyone else think that ultimately Otonashi is God? Since he's the only one with no memories (at least, for now).
Old 2010-05-04, 02:58   Link #300
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
After this episode:

1. Kanade is ADORABLE.

2. Yuri and the SSS WERE being assholes, but they weren't being malicious. They were just being IDIOTS. The evil you know is better then the evil you don't. They should have known that even IF Tenshi was no longer Student President, someone else would have taken her place. And Nazi-Bro is probably 100 times worse then Kanade. He does look good in that hat, though.
Closed Thread