Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-06-03, 01:28   Link #1
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Vga screen brightness

I use a macbook pro and a projector to watch movies with friends rather often. Lately, my friend installed some switchboards(?) which connects multiple computers/tv/dvd to a single projector. Ever since then, the brightness level of the movies and pictures from my computer has been VERY dim with the projector. We tried adjusting it, but it won't change.

So, I'm wondering what could be the cause. Is it the new switchboard thing, or could cheap quality VGA cables be the thing? Need help quick, thanks.
Old 2010-06-03, 07:45   Link #2
airstorm

I don't know if you've already tried it, but in Sys Prefs -> Displays -> Color you can Calibrate the output device which has tons of sliders for brightness/contrast/gamma etc.

It will also depend on the quality of the gear you're linking it through. If its cheap it is likely to lose quite a bit. If the switchbox is like one of those KVMs which are powered by whats connected to it, then yeah, I can see problems from that.

Poor cables are more likely to result in blurry and ghosted images.
airstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 09:36   Link #3
spikexp

Plug it again with a single computer like before, and check if it still has problem.
Normally brightness level problem are the result of the lamp in the projector losing there brightness with age.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 02:34   Link #4
iKumdo
Chodan

I've tried the color calibration and the images are still very dark.

I also tried plugging other computers in, switching around cables and connecting it directly to the projector. It's all the same. the only thing I've yet to try is replacing the dvi converter. I'll be giving that a try next time I'm at his place - either tomorrow or Monday.
Old 2010-06-06, 10:34   Link #5
spikexp

Use your macbook pro like you did before he changes everything and if it's still has some problem with the images, the lamp of is projector might be damaged.
Like I said, the lamp is the biggest problem with projector most of the time.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 15:10   Link #6
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Use your macbook pro like you did before he changes everything and if it's still has some problem with the images, the lamp of is projector might be damaged.
Like I said, the lamp is the biggest problem with projector most of the time.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I found the solution. For some reason, the display calibrations were completely reset or whatever, so the gamma and color stuff got messed up. I thought I readjusted it, but I was apparently fiddling with the wrong display settings.

After messing with the calibrations, I was able to get the projector to perform even better than before.