AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-08, 20:44   Link #881
Kazu-kun

This was posted on /a/ and basically sums up my own take on the plot:

Quote:
BRS is the antagonist set out to destroy the Underworld [note: Mato is suppressing some issues from her past, hence why BRS is getting more and more violent].

Yuu is trapped in the Underworld.

STR is trapped in the Real World.

STR makes Saya connect with BGS in order to protect Yuu in the Underworld.

Saya tries to strengthen other avatars (by messing up with the real persons' feelings) so that these can be a match to try and stop BRS from destroying the Underworld.
Everything backfired when not even fully powered Dead Master could deal with BRS, and due to Mato merging with BRS and going Insane now everything seems lost.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-03-09 at 00:12.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 21:40   Link #882
Dark Wing

You know that actually makes sense...
Old 2012-03-08, 21:45   Link #883
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow Yuu's past was bad. Insane BRS was awesome. Strength (the real Yuu) finally fighting it out. So Yomi has complete the cycle and has forgotton Mato.
Old 2012-03-08, 21:47   Link #884
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep6:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 21:58   Link #885
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Was that a myspace icon? That thing still exists?

So... Yomi's got an Android phone. Tip off is the file browser. That clears some things up, but now's the question of her carrier. I guess the virtual function buttons give us a bit of a hint - it looks like it has TouchWiz.

So this is the fast one they pulled on us? BRS is the destroyer of worlds and BGS is one that sought to protect it. Well, Kana Hanazawa has mentioned before she'd like to play the bad guy some day, and here we are.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 22:01   Link #886
Cannikin

Thoughts on Episode 6:

-Yes! My BGS/Saya is a "good" guy theory is vindicated (from a certain point of view).

-IBRS/BGS fight was way too short. I wanted more from my favorite girl (BGS)

-Lose King Saw (and arm)? Fight with watering can!

Spoiler for Episode 7 preview:
Cannikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 22:53   Link #887
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
what an episode. so much back story and I like it. So Yuu and Saya know each other for so long. Yuu is one strong little girl. staying strong all this time from being bullied. I hope Mato wakes up soon.
Old 2012-03-08, 22:57   Link #888
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Was that a myspace icon? That thing still exists?

So... Yomi's got an Android phone. Tip off is the file browser. That clears some things up, but now's the question of her carrier. I guess the virtual function buttons give us a bit of a hint - it looks like it has TouchWiz.

So this is the fast one they pulled on us? BRS is the destroyer of worlds and BGS is one that sought to protect it. Well, Kana Hanazawa has mentioned before she'd like to play the bad guy some day, and here we are.
I think M is for mail (gmail). Yomi deleted a folder of Mato. I'm guessing she's deleting Mato's contacts and everything along with it (messages,pictures, etc). Her password is 4031...
Old 2012-03-08, 23:03   Link #889
Cannikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Also, their school has some pretty good wi-fi coverage for it to have full bars in the middle of an outdoor courtyard. Musn't miss important details like this, it could be plot crucial.

Last edited by Cannikin; 2012-03-08 at 23:36.
Cannikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 00:11   Link #890
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^Well, she might have 3G.
Old 2012-03-09, 00:46   Link #891
xizro345
King's Justice

Oh boy, the writing is a mess in this episode, too many 180s on certain characters.

Spoiler for Episode 6:
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 02:09   Link #892
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who is enjoying this show ironically. It's really just absolute trash but it's so easy to pick up apart and make fun of.

At this point, I'm convinced within this confusion surrounding what the hell Black Rock Shooter is supposed to be, I figured the anime is one big Paxil/Zoloft/Prozac/etc. (take your pick!) campaign. If you think about it, these high school girls are suffering through enormous mental stress due to various reasons and thus have turned to anti-depressants and anxiety medicine. This is represented by Black Rock Shooter, Dead Master, etc. in the "other world" who take on the pain their real life counterparts experience. As you may know, such pills don't exactly work as intended immediately as it takes some weeks. When the drugs finally kick in, this is represented by the death of "other world" counterpart and the girl finds herself living happily among her peers.

However, side effects include SEVERE MEMORY LOSS.

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
SirusRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 03:31   Link #893
Elestia

This sums up my reaction to this episode's plot.

Seriously, what the hell is this nonsense.

At least the actions scenes were decent. It is what I'm looking forward these days.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:33   Link #894
dan-heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep6:
seems you're reading the line wrong. Saya isn't a good person at all, she's just an extremist who believes she's doing the right thing. The flashback wasn't really pointless considering everything that it brought up, like why "Yuu" hasn't aged at all after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Oh boy, the writing is a mess in this episode, too many 180s on certain characters.

Spoiler for Episode 6:
Why unbelievable?
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 04:28   Link #895
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Seriously, what the hell is this nonsense.
Care to divulge us on what exactly this "nonsense" you speak of is?

Sure, BRS has problems, but I don't think the plot is one of them.~
Old 2012-03-09, 04:30   Link #896
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirusRiddler
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who is enjoying this show ironically. It's really just absolute trash but it's so easy to pick up apart and make fun of.
Some are actually enjoying the plot, me included. We need something like this sometimes. NOT A SERIES TO LAUGH AT, mind you, but a series that shows the dark tendencies of a person's mind. Yes, it can be unbelievable, but harems and magic can be just as unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia
This sums up my reaction to this episode's plot.

*cue computer immolation and suicide*
Don't die! You're already 3/4s of the way into the series, there's NO TURNING BACK.
Besides, I don't think you understood the plot at this point.

I think the plot of Black Rock Shooter is just not for everyone.
Or people have become less tolerant of 100% dark chocolate plots.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 04:51   Link #897
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

That scene where the girls swept eraser shavings into Yuu's rice and her staring off into space with no reaction made me laugh for some reason. Especially expressionless response.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 05:13   Link #898
silvercover
Romance Expert

im at least happy that BGS is not the bad guy.
but im going to agree with all the others who said that the plot is messed up... just like GC.

the story sacrificed coherent story telling for wild developments. those only work for a while, you should then switch back to telling a story. a show where everything has WTF! developments gets more stale than an average SoL.
imagine an ecchi/harem where everything is focused on fanservice and action but lacks the necessary parts like a story line and building up good character development. even shounen shows have a few episodes without fighting and "EPIC" developments.
cause see here, can you guys imagine how it would really go if it turned out BRS is the antagonist? sum up the whole story after that and you'll see. the "developments" went too fast and is getting too complicated right now. if BRS is the bad guy, how would it end? kill her? she goes back to normal? neither of those will bring a good resolution and conclusion to the series.

and im also disappointed with how the fight went. too short, we need a more epic fight with BGS vs. IBRS.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 05:29   Link #899
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-heron View Post
Why unbelievable?
It is completely unbelievable they try to portray Saya with "good intentions" while the means and the end are not set on the same direction.
It is extremely hard to take seriously her devotion for Yuu, and her inability to kill Matou despite how she was shown as BGS and during her little mindfuck with the other girls.
Sure, killing a girl is a step way ahead of what she has done, but the whole "Matou didn't do anything wrong!" could be applied to everyone else, save perhaps Kagari (and yet, it doesn't seem Saya was involved with her). yet, she was shown with borderline malicious pleasure.

So basically, the writers tried way too hard to make a plot twist regarding the intentions and objective for Saya/BGS, despite it doesn't click at all.

What's worse is the fact they didn't use a clear setup regarding the otherworld girls, which left consistency and storytelling way off the hook regarding their "ailment". Heck, we don't need flashy board saying "BGS is "maybe" a good guy!" but the actions taken so far don't mesh at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Care to divulge us on what exactly this "nonsense" you speak of is?

Sure, BRS has problems, but I don't think the plot is one of them.~
The plot is a huge problem because it just go offtracks without really any proper storytelling.
Past the gross exageration with the psyche of all the characters, the cohesion as a whole is totally whacky. It doesn't make sense to have a forced "role switch" when things presented so far doesn't give any foreshadowing whatsoever.
There isn't any subtle clue whatsoever, and the fact the vast majority can't accept that shows how much the twist presented here doesn't work that much.

When a shows can't even decide who is the "protagonist" at any point of the show, it is hardly a good point, unless done perfectly, which cannot be said for BRS TV.
Old 2012-03-09, 05:32   Link #900
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Let's make one thing clear here, BRS is NOT a bad guy or a good guy at this point. Neither is Saya or BGS. BRS is just a representation of the ideals Mato holds, which is not using the Otherworld as a surrogate to help one deal with their grief and pain. Directly opposite is Saya and BGS, who holds the ideals of keeping the Otherworld intact because of her promise with Yuu.

A conflict is created when two entities with conflicting ideals oppose each other. That is what is happening here. Mato likely doesn't give a rat's ass about Saya's promise with Yuu if it means she can get rid of the Otherworld. Saya doesn't give a damn about the mental stability of others as long as it can create a other self able to stop BRS and preserve the Otherworld. Each are pursuing their own ambitions and are willing to use whatever means to see it happen. (Though as shown by Saya's unwillingness to kill Mato, they do have limits.)

There's no definite evil side or good side in this situation. It's the viewer's outlook on what they find is the "right choice" which shifts their view of what characters are in which alignment. If you cherish friendship promises and the simplicity of Otherworld's assistance in dealing with grief you'd side with Saya, if you believe making others shoulder your grief and pain isn't right and would rather brave it yourself and grow stronger then you'd side with Mato.

It seems the problem here is that people are expecting there to be a definite "good side" and "bad side" when that's entirely non-existent to begin with.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-03-09 at 15:15.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, slice of life