AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 35 22.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 37.42%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 21.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.29%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-16, 23:46   Link #21
Click This
CEO of Asia!

Location: 167 East 51st St, New York, NY, 10022 - N40° 45.4097', W073° 58.2709'
Send a message via MSN to Click This
Quote:
Originally Posted by descent87 View Post
Personally I'm taking this somewhat as more evidence of the whole "people returning to life" theory rather than passing on to heaven or reincarnation. I base this basically off of Iwasawa's last words which I assume are supposed to mean something to us.

You mean Iwasawa was simply in a coma?

Old 2010-04-16, 23:55   Link #22
descent87

Hey its just a theory I am throwing out there, not original I know. Just saying that so far in the series there has been nothing concrete to disprove that its possible. Thus I am starting to wonder if it is supposed to be that way, the ambiguity I mean.

Whatever is going on I hope for all our sakes its impressive and enjoyable
Old 2010-04-17, 00:09   Link #23
orangejuicetang

Personally, I find the coma theory unlikely since it requires them all to be somehow connected somehow.

Anyway, know for some thoughts and speculation about this episode.

First off, Iwasawa's memories and everybody's past lives. It seems that Iwasawa didn't have a happy life either, and the way she talks about it, it's seems likely that everybody there had a craptastic life. Which offers an insight as to the real reason they're fighting. As the guy notes, 'it's not that they're afraid of reincarnating as something bad, it's more that they're protesting the unfairness of life.' In other words, something like a grudge/anger against the god who allowed this all to happen.

Next, Iwasawa's disappearance. Going back to my previous point, if the reason they are in that world is due to their anger, perhaps the loss of that anger takes them out. Or in another way, everybody their is asking themselves something like 'For what reason was I born? Why did I suffer through all that?' The seemingly lack of a reason is the source of their anger. But once they find an answer, they're at peace and can 'move on', so to speak.

Lastly, about their discovery about Tenshi. The very first thought that ran through my mind was 'if her powers come the through the same methods as theirs, then doesn't that mean she was originally a human too?' The actions of Tenshi and the NPC's were interesting as well, as they don't seem like simple automatons programmed to act in a certain manner. I wasn't expecting Tenshi's 'this almost makes me look like the villain' because it shows that she is capable of self-thought and not just a type of emotionless terminator machine. Yuri's comment that 'if that means there is no god... then this would be the worst case scenario' is interesting. I suppose it's because due to the harshness of their lives, they want to believe that there was at least some reason they suffered, and they want to find out what that reason is. If there was no god, then that would mean that the pain they went through was literally 'meaningless'.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2010-04-17, 00:17   Link #24
descent87

Asking for opinions on this, but did anyone else think that as Tenshi was turning away from the owner-less guitar at the end, that she looked rather sad? That was another moment that intrigued me towards the end. I guess it is a little fast so try pausing if it helps, could just be a trick of the frames i guess.
Old 2010-04-17, 00:39   Link #25
dark998

Mmmm, really good episode. Production value is still top-notch and the performance scene was better than the one in the first episode, especially Irie rocking those drums. Alchemy is a great song too.

I like Yui a lot, the show was missing a cute and hyperactive character like her.

Iwasawa's final scene was nicely done, though not very sad because her character didn't get development other than the backstory. Now she is in a better place (????)

And Yusa got more screentime too . For some reason I really dig her character, my favorite after Tenshi.

And finally, the revelations about Tenshi's skills and how she acquires them. Very informative.
Old 2010-04-17, 00:41   Link #26
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Disappointing as it is, the premise does seem to lean toward the coma/near-death hypothesis now. The heartbeat animation might very well be the first beat at the start of their successful "revival"/recovery or, the last, at the moment where their lingering wishes are satiated in this world, the moment where their lives end.

Angel might have been there the longest. Maybe something really horrendous had happened to her while she was alive that she has no hope of resolving it, so she simply chose to stay and be a guide for others. Her secluded attitude might have come from the numerous partings that she had gone through.

One by one members in the ending song will disappear. If we are lucky enough to get a happy end, or a not so happy one, perhaps there will be a similar sequence with the full cast in the end, with Angel too.

...Bah. If this were a VN I'd have the option of downing it all in one go. These tiny weekly bites is torture that can only be enjoyed by a masochist. =[
Old 2010-04-17, 00:46   Link #27
Key Board
Carbon

I'm just curious to how did everyone come to a conclusion that attacking Tenshi was the how things should be done

So far we are expected to take everything Yuri says as truth (and we are probably expected to doubt that)

My theory is Tenshi helped some people pass on to the next life (or revive) and everyone went into a major misunderstanding over that
Old 2010-04-17, 00:47   Link #28
xBTAx

I may be wrong about this, but this episode left me with a certain question...

That list they saw had everyone's names on it, right? And Otonashi only remembers his last name, as far as I know, so why didn't he try to check it? His name might have helped jog his memory.
Old 2010-04-17, 00:54   Link #29
Eater of All
NOM

I can't really say Iwasawa's "redemption" (for a lack of more appropriate term) struck me like a hammer and got me crying in a corner or anything, but for a scene based on one episode of buildup (with plot stuff mashed inbetween) I thought it set up a pretty well-done atmosphere. Though it's gonna suck for Yuri if every week we see somebody ditching her like this.

Also, Yui is reminding me of Fuuko for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Lastly, about their discovery about Tenshi. The very first thought that ran through my mind was 'if her powers come the through the same methods as theirs, then doesn't that mean she was originally a human too?' The actions of Tenshi and the NPC's were interesting as well, as they don't seem like simple automatons programmed to act in a certain manner. I wasn't expecting Tenshi's 'this almost makes me look like the villain' because it shows that she is capable of self-thought and not just a type of emotionless terminator machine. Yuri's comment that 'if that means there is no god... then this would be the worst case scenario' is interesting.
Yeah, I'm really starting to doubt the authenticity of the label "NPC", because those students are looking more normal by the second to me, or at least, not entirely obedient to Tenshi and the teachers as I've been led to believe by Yuri's words.

And speaking of the teachers... is this the first time they're actually shown on-screen?
Old 2010-04-17, 00:56   Link #30
xBTAx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I can't really say Iwasawa's "redemption" (for a lack of more appropriate term) struck me like a hammer and got me crying in a corner or anything, but for a scene based on one episode of buildup (with plot stuff mashed inbetween) I thought it set up a pretty well-done atmosphere. Though it's gonna suck for Yuri if every week we see somebody ditching her like this.

Also, Yui is reminding me of Fuuko for some reason.

Yeah, I'm really starting to doubt the authenticity of the label "NPC", because those students are looking more normal by the second to me, or at least, not entirely obedient to Tenshi and the teachers as I've been led to believe by Yuri's words.

And speaking of the teachers... is this the first time they're actually shown on-screen?
I was wondering about the the teachers as well... It seemed odd to me that there were even teachers there, but I guess it is a school.
Old 2010-04-17, 01:35   Link #31
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Or it is like a purgatory and they move on from there...
I'm thinking it would be sort of lame if they actually lived after this world. I'm thinking that is way too predictable.
Old 2010-04-17, 01:41   Link #32
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Replacing hot red haired singer with generic script kiddy nerd.

Still, good episode. Maybe they'll replace the annoying axe guy with someone else. Seeing the opportunities, right?
Old 2010-04-17, 02:00   Link #33
Key Board
Carbon

I think Key likes the halberd guy too much for him to vanish early

You'll have to bear him and the bad jokes surrounding him for quite some time
Old 2010-04-17, 02:33   Link #34
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I personally thought the episode was pretty great, but I can't believe they did away with Iwasawa so soon after that incredible live concert that she was doing too.

I guess next episode they will explain what it was that she accepted and why she disappeared, because Otonashi notes that its apparent that living a normal school life isn't the only way for one to go.

The real question is... who's taking over Girl Dead Monster or are we looking at a possible resurrection here, since Girl Dead Monster has far more than just two singles scheduled. Iwasawa was the heart of that... I can't imagine anyone taking over.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Old 2010-04-17, 03:02   Link #35
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The classic themes of "Fighting againt fate/destiny" that is so prevalent in Key's and Maeda's work makes itself very much present here, what with the close similarities between Iwasawa and Yuri's past lives. It is again one of human struggles against the forces of nature that seem too powerful for them, presented in a more humorous and offbeat sort of way, somewhat different than the usual stuff I've grown accustomed to from them.

The Haibane Renmei similarities to Iwasawa's disappearance is actually rather interesting. The most obvious conclusion to it was that it can be seen as a good thing to her own self-realization. Again the "finding yourself" idea is presented with the previous allusions to a purgatory state of existence. That is, while the deepest mystery is what happens when you do go away, the only accepted ways to do so is either to conform or to be "enlightened" so to speak. It would seem that you could either go with the flow or achieve or sort of "heightened" state of consciousness about yourself that leads to your "ascension" of sorts. Of course you could argue that it may not be ascending to heaven or some such, but you can't deny the possibility that another system is at work quite different from what the SSS believes. It might be probable that Tenshi herself knows what happened to Iwasawa, or at least the nature of such an event.

Given what happened to Iwasawa and what they learned about Tenshi, it seems likely that Yuri/SSS has got a lot of things wrong about the nature of their plane of existence, the concept of God and who Tenshi really is. The mere fact that Iwasawa's fate runs counter to what they perceive is the governing law of the world and to what the SSS is fighting for seems to hint that perhaps neither Tenshi nor Yuri fully understand the system at all.

At this point these are probably at the core of the plot itself: the nature of this "ascension" (similar in ways to Haibane Renmei's Day of Flight), the role of the SSS in all of this and Tenshi function in the world.

Despite my opinion that the comedy tends to get overblown at points and overpowers the plot and tension somewhat, it's very tight and solid writing from Maeda.
Old 2010-04-17, 03:19   Link #36
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click This View Post
You mean Iwasawa was simply in a coma?
This seems like a working theory. Her monologue at the end about her life being about continuieng to sing would work in that way. I guess we'll have to see in the coming episodes.

---

The episode was pretty well done, this series is interesting enough to keep up with it.
Old 2010-04-17, 04:09   Link #37
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'm the only one who find this episode is boring ?
But the cut of unfunny jokes make it looked little better...

Seriously i'm not feel anything with Iwasawa death (or anything)... and not to mention her death supposed to be memorable i believe... Well at least i"m curious on topic Yuri said in the end...
Old 2010-04-17, 04:19   Link #38
juss
KANAME SENPAIIIIII!!!

I thought that the episode was very strong, but then I haven't seen any of the other Key works people keep mentioning; given their popularity though I'm willing to believe that this may be a step down.

I thought that Iwasawa's story was moving and thoughtful, although I felt it would have been even better if we'd had a little more opportunity to get to know her. Given the abruptness of that it's hard to believe that this really will be the very last that we see of her. If it is, though, she went out with a bang on a beautiful song..
Old 2010-04-17, 04:29   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Nice concert scenes in this episode once again. A bit disappointed that Iwasawa is the first one to go...

Lots of Haibane Renmei similarities indeed. It seems clear now that Tenshi isn't a bad guy, I guess she wants to help people attain peace/happiness so they can move on. This place seems more like a purgatory than anything. The question is: is Tenshi really an Angel? It's very odd that she had to create her guard skill by herself... maybe she's just an uptight class president

I'm wondering if the members of the SSS will be able to create their own special skills now that they had access to Tenshi's data. I doubt it, since Tenshi wouldn't remain much of a threat if they do.

I'm starting to find very odd the fact that Otonashi has no memories of his past life. It doesn't seem like anyone else is in the same case so far. We'll have to wait and see, but there is obviously something more to him (well duh, he's the MC).

Edit: oh and did anyone notice the City hunter reference? There was even a bit of the music playing ! I like TK even more now.

Last edited by Kanon; 2010-04-17 at 05:18.
Old 2010-04-17, 05:30   Link #40
Mentar
Banned

Fascinating.

I don't remember when the last time I went from "hmm... what the heck is this about?" after ep2 to "aaah, so THAT'S how it is" in ep3 so much. But there have been several big-deal revelations in this last ep, and I feel like making several predictions even up to the final climax and ending. How's that for hubris?

What this afterlife is about: Obviously, it is about people who carry over some major grudge or unresolved issue like an unfulfilled wish. As long as you haven't dealt with this, you cannot pass on.

Is "being erased" a bad thing? No. It's rather the opposite, it means that you have finally resolved your issue, and you can finally "pass on". How do we know? Because we saw it happen with Iwasawa. And she went out and disappeared in her moment of completion and happiness. She finally found what she was looking for. She was finally able to sing the song she always wanted and even Yuri denied her in the beginning. It was no sad death, it was a _happy passing_.

How does Angel fit into this? This is the twist I liked the most. I'm pretty sure that Angel doesn't "work for god". She is just like Yuri and the others. Obviously she was Seitokaichou in her former life, and she feels that she failed. She's in this afterlife to atone, just like Yuri is in this afterlife to rebel and exact revenge. Evidence for it: Yuri's revelation that Angel is progressing just like she and her band of merrymen are.

But what about Yuri's earlier explanations? Yuri is wrong. This is the story she made up for herself, to live out her rebel+revenge issue. However, Angel's issue (keep a school safe as Seitokaichou) is diametrally opposed to Yuri (incite a revolution). Therefore they will have quickly crashed head-on, and the charismatic Yuri will have won followers where the very uncommunicative and introverted Angel could not. Which led to the situation on hand. The only one who seems to realize parts of it so far is...

What's the role of Otonashi? He will become the _mediator_ between Yuri and Angel. He was livid when they broke into Angel's apartment. He's also very curious about her and wants to know more. The upcoming triangle will be Yuri - Otonashi - Angel. All other characters are essentially irrelevant. And the role of Otonashi will be to somehow settle the issues between the two extremes of order (Angel) and rebellion (Yuri).

How will this story progress? Otonashi will learn more about both Angel and Yuri and be torn over it. I could even imagining a developing romance between them, in a true triangle fashion. He will manage to begin some form of relationship to Angel, and he'll also grow closer to Yuri while having his relationship increasingly strained with Yuri's henchmen, particularly when he continues to defend Angel.

And the ending? Otonashi will lose both Angel and Yuri by helping both of them pass on. It's his fate to reconcile both extremes with each other and helping them to leave this afterworld. However, in true key fashion, the ending will be very bittersweet: By doing so, he will also lose both girls he'll fall in love with. Unless, of course, they go for a cop-out ending of waking up out of the coma

What remains to be seen is how the "memory loss" aspect will play into this. I wouldn't even be surprised if in the end, Otonashi was the only "artificial" construct in the afterlife, created to resolve the Angel-Yuri battle. Or there's some more story on the meta-level, and the three of them somehow had dealings with each other in their former lives. Let's see.

In any case, my opinion on Angel Beats increased significantly after ep3. Let's bring it on.
Closed Thread