AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 39.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 29.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-17, 09:55   Link #41
taichi-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Still, despite all the planning the queerats' attack hinges on the "fiend" on their side. Even Shisei cannot stand up to the the fiend after all.
But why not? he is strong.. he could sacrifice and die with the fiend ..

if you knew someone was gonna kill you, wouldn't you kill him even if it meant you'd die yourself?

A few things:

1- Poor saki,shun was always her true love.Satoru is her option B (she didn't look for him after the explotion WTF!!).

2- I was expecting more from tomiko... what a shame what about your revenge??? ( shisei you are my only hope now) Granny was useless.

3-That boy saki met was very similar to shun, is the anime messing with us? was him like that in the novel ? ohh satoru be careful or he will stole saki
Old 2013-02-17, 10:33   Link #42
Kirarakim

I honestly think it will be Kiromaru not Shisei who will be key. Remember Kiromaru is not dead, just missing. It would be very weird if he doesn't come back into the story in some way. And as a queer rat he actually can technically kill a fiend (even if it would be difficult).

We've barely seen anything from Shisei except he is an extremely powerful character but going by this stories themes it's the extremely powerful characters who end up losing because of their arrogance. Based on the preview Shisei doesn't seem to be an exception to that arrogance.

I am also thinking that Satoru might end up sacrificing himself in some way to save the day (but I kind of hope I am wrong because darn it I don't want Saki to lose everyone she cares about).
Old 2013-02-17, 11:48   Link #43
Diveman

Man, Yakomaru is one smart bastard, is like he thought of every possible scenario.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-02-17, 12:05   Link #44
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveman View Post
Also, I think the reason Saki says "if Maria hadn't been born..." is because she was the one who gave birth to this demon, it not really relevant who the father is lol
Taking this out of spoilers because it is not really a spoiler:

I've been thinking about that line and my only thought is it is actually a very poor choice of wording on the series part.

The problem was not that Maria was born, the problem was that she made the decision to leave. I understand at that point in the story, Saki could not have said "if only Maria didn't run away" because that would have given away a plot point.

However the series could have said something like "if only Maria had chosen a different path" or something along those lines. Maria being born or not has nothing to do with the current problem.

But it is interesting that although Maria's choice caused the destruction of the village, it was a completely selfless and noble choice to leave the village and stay with Mamoru. We could agree with Maria's words & reasons and yet look what happened.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:10   Link #45
Diveman

Well, if she had never been born, she wouldn't have been friends with Saki and met Mamoru, so even if Mamoru had chosen to run away no other person would have followed him etc.

So it kinda makes sense.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:18   Link #46
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveman View Post
Well, if she had never been born, she wouldn't have been friends with Saki and met Mamoru, so even if Mamoru had chosen to run away no other person would have followed him etc.

So it kinda makes sense.

But her being born, being friends with them, etc did not cause the tragedy.

The only thing that caused the tragedy was Maria making the decision to leave with Mamoru. It's also has more impact when you think of it that way, that Maria's noble decision caused tragedy.

To look at it another way if she didn't follow Mamoru, she would still have been born & still would have been friends with them but the tragedy would not have occurred.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:35   Link #47
Eragon
Still Alive

^ But then that decision also involves the reason for Mamoru leaving the village. Which then, comes down to the society that they live in.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:42   Link #48
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
I was expecting more from tomiko... what a shame what about your revenge??? ( shisei you are my only hope now) Granny was useless.
When she transferred her authority to Saki, I took that to mean she was planning to go battle the fiend herself - which is a suicide mission whether she wins or loses. I know nothing about the novel, though, so I don't know whether that's right. It's just the impression I got.
Old 2013-02-17, 13:37   Link #49
Diveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
When she transferred her authority to Saki, I took that to mean she was planning to go battle the fiend herself - which is a suicide mission whether she wins or loses. I know nothing about the novel, though, so I don't know whether that's right. It's just the impression I got.
To me it looked more like a "there's nothing we can do, so we'll try to hold him while you escape" thing
Old 2013-02-17, 14:23   Link #50
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
^ But then that decision also involves the reason for Mamoru leaving the village. Which then, comes down to the society that they live in.
If just Mamoru ran away the events with the fiend would not have actually occurred, if we assume the fiend is Maria & Mamoru's child.

Yes I realized the village pushed Mamoru to run away & Maria to follow. Obviously Maria going to Mamoru wasn't the only reason the village is now in the straits it is.

I mean you could even possibly argue that Yakomaru would have been able to pull off what he has done without the fiend & the village would still have been destroyed.

But then lets take Maria decision vs the village's decision to kill the children (the very thing that Maria spoke out against) and the ultimate outcome. This to me is what actually makes the series so strong because it actually doesn't look at anything in a B/W way. If anything I think the series is ultimately asking us not to judge.
Old 2013-02-17, 14:47   Link #51
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Once I scream "Noooooooo" as the credits roll. Epis are always over too soon.

Tomiko-sama T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim
I honestly think it will be Kiromaru not Shisei who will be key.

I am also thinking that Satoru might end up sacrificing himself in some way to save the day (but I kind of hope I am wrong because darn it I don't want Saki to lose everyone she cares about).
I agree on both these points espc about Satoru, at this point it's building up that Saki will be the only surviving member of her group
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2013-02-17, 16:31   Link #52
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

As an anime-only viewer, I have always felt that the relationship between Saki and Satoru was somehow distant. Even when they were having their first adventure together, they didn't really seem "together" to me. At that point, the real potential couple was Saki and Shun, it felt to me. Maybe we are being led in that direction again now? In any case, I haven't missed further development between Saki and Satoru. I never expected it.

Mamoru was always portrayed as weak and boring. It was hard to understand Maria choosing to go with him, except from pity. I wonder how things worked out between them.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2013-02-17, 17:36   Link #53
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
We've barely seen anything from Shisei except he is an extremely powerful character but going by this stories themes it's the extremely powerful characters who end up losing because of their arrogance. Based on the preview Shisei doesn't seem to be an exception to that arrogance.
Why are powerful characters made dumb and useless in the end.... It's irritating... This always happens in every action anime!!!1
Old 2013-02-17, 17:50   Link #54
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As an anime-only viewer, I have always felt that the relationship between Saki and Satoru was somehow distant. Even when they were having their first adventure together, they didn't really seem "together" to me. At that point, the real potential couple was Saki and Shun, it felt to me. Maybe we are being led in that direction again now? In any case, I haven't missed further development between Saki and Satoru. I never expected it.
Those of us complaining about Saki/Satoru aren't just talking about romantic love but something else. Love comes in many forms.

I never noticed "distance" between Saki & Satoru. They are supposed to be best friends. The only distance that is happening has been pushed on by the anime writers who are cutting scene of them together.

At the very least they share something that no one else does and it's a weakness in the anime that this is not being shown.

Quote:
Mamoru was always portrayed as weak and boring. It was hard to understand Maria choosing to go with him, except from pity. I wonder how things worked out between them.
Weaker perhaps, but boring? And that was weaker in terms of personality (he did have his own strength as we see in the art work he did with the power).

Perhaps Maria wasn't "in love" with Mamoru but I hardly see the reason she left as pity. She obviously loved Mamoru very deeply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Why are powerful characters made dumb and useless in the end.... It's irritating... This always happens in every action anime!!!1
Well for one I don't consider this an action anime, it just happens to have some action scenes.

But the arrogance of the cantus users have been pushed by the series from the beginning.

I am not saying Shisei won't be important in some way but as a character that has only had minimal scenes I can't believe he will save the day. Not to mention having the most powerful cantus user save them again goes against everything Saki is saying about them always being able to rely on their power but realizing they were wrong.
Old 2013-02-17, 18:34   Link #55
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Well, at least Shisei wasn't eliminated off camera. That would have been super-duper lame, imo.

If Shisei goes down, that's probably going to be a pivotal moment, at least. It'll probably be a moment where all hope is lost (at least for most of the villagers). The only exception being if Shisei takes out the Fiend with him.

But perhaps that's Yakomarua's plan for all we know. Maybe he's hoping that Shisei will play the self-sacrificing hero, and that his other weapons will be sufficient to deal with the remaining humans. Yakomaru clearly showed in this episode that the Fiend is far from the only card up his sleeve.
Old 2013-02-17, 18:38   Link #56
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I didn't expect Tomiko to pass the torch to Saki already.
That is nice and all but she didn't returned Saki's memories as promised, so she still can't remember Shun.

Quote:
Poor Mamoru. They've totally forgotten his existence already, and that didn't require any brainwashing. It's sad how little they care about him. He was really the fifth wheel of the group (at least he had Maria).
Mamoru? Does Tuxedo Kamen makes a cameo or something

Quote:
The only thing that caused the tragedy was Maria making the decision to leave with Mamoru. It's also has more impact when you think of it that way, that Maria's noble decision caused tragedy.
That is why they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
Old 2013-02-17, 19:04   Link #57
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
At that point, the real potential couple was Saki and Shun, it felt to me.
Just goes to show how different we are. As someone who predicted Shun's eventual fate around episode 3, long before reading the book, I never expected him and Saki to have a chance. Meanwhile, I thought Saki and Satoru had great chemistry despite (or because?) of all their bickering. (And then, of course, these relationships took an unexpected turn...)

In any case, as Kirarakim said, this is not really about romantic love (though partly it is), more like the relationship between the two of them in general, romantic or not romantic.

Quote:
Weaker perhaps, but boring? And that was weaker in terms of personality (he did have his own strength as we see in the art work he did with the power). Perhaps Maria wasn't "in love" with Mamoru but I hardly see the reason she left as pity. She obviously loved Mamoru very deeply.
+1 Agreed.

Re: Shisei, did anyone notice how badass he looks in the preview? It's like he borrowed Kiroumaru's mane.

And apparently Satoru got a haircut...
Old 2013-02-17, 19:11   Link #58
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
But the arrogance of the cantus users have been pushed by the series from the beginning.
Oh... I didn't say that SSY was an action anime... I just thought it always happen in many action anime....

Yeah, I agree with arrogance... which is very disappointing... We already lost a war maniac back in the festival, and now Grandma is wounded... c'mon!

Hope Shisei, will give as a good duel... and not act dumb again... sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If Shisei goes down, that's probably going to be a pivotal moment, at least. It'll probably be a moment where all hope is lost (at least for most of the villagers). The only exception being if Shisei takes out the Fiend with him.
Agree.. But I hope if Shinsei dies... I hope he'll bring the Fiend with him in the grave... But if his defeated... then my bet gos to Satoru... I don't think Saki has a chance if Satoru can't... unless... they'll (the author/director) force her to be strong ad powerful in the end.... It doesn't fit her personality IMHO...

If Satoru dies and Saki managed to defeat the Fiend... then "what an ending" I say...

And another thing.... the way some people here saying... the director is really pushing his fetish in the series....
Old 2013-02-17, 19:19   Link #59
Kirarakim

Quote:
Hope Shisei, will give as a good duel... and not act dumb again... sheesh
Well I am hoping he won't go out that quickly either, just so we can see what he can do. Since they did build him up to be so powerful it would be disappointing if he dies in 2 seconds, so I agree with you there.

But then I just can't see him being the one to save the day (although maybe the theory of sacrificing himself is correct).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogon_bat
That is nice and all but she didn't returned Saki's memories as promised, so she still can't remember Shun.
I've been thinking about this as Guardian Enzo pointed out the new kid looks a lot like Shun. This might not be a coincidence.

Spoiler for preview:
Old 2013-02-17, 19:24   Link #60
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler for preview:
Spoiler for Reaction:
Closed Thread