4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-28, 17:18   Link #81
Preciize
Them Feels~

They made the entire scene much more emotional than in the manga. Still enjoyed it though. Hoping for a second season.
Old 2013-09-28, 17:19   Link #82
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Then again, how was he even capable of escaping that forest is that wound is that severe in the first place?
Actually, you can forget that. It's not even a no brainer to find the solution, because you posted it yourself. If one suppose his injury was actually severe but he still forced himself to act anyway, thus his wound must have certainly gotten worse : leading to why he ended completely unable to fight later on.
1) That is because escaping is a completely different matter. Levi had only to hook on a tree and move on with the wire and the gas.
That is absolutely not the same as having an acceleration before landing, then making a clear cut needing a strong stance with your feet in order to keep the strike momentum and not to fall like an idiot.

2) That is contradicting exactly because Erwin would never allow Levi to act rashly that could potentially make things worse for them in the long run. Having Levi doing this is already a problem, but doing it perfectly again is just nonsensical.
The story was already clear that Levi's injury was severe enough (bone break SFX to boot) to make him complain -twice- about it (once during the forest escape filler and during his free time with Eren in the flashback), despite he was simply sitting. If it hurts already despite he is motionless, I hardly can believe that he would be fine while performing his clean slash.
Old 2013-09-28, 17:30   Link #83
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Was it cool seeing the berserking Erengelion fight? Yea, I'm a sucker for berserk character fights and whatnot so I loved it...but after the adrenaline rush and excitement I really started to hate the way they handled the fight. Yes, I'm another manga reader not pleased with the adaptation...

Like others have said, making Eren go berserk like that wasn't just stupid but it actually hurt the character. In the manga Eren was calm and in control the whole time...granted that he got his ass handed to him by Annie once again but at the same time it showed just how superior and overwhelming Annie was that even in Round 2...Eren still couldn't win.
In the anime Eren went into a berserk rage and crushed Annie's face in but in the manga Eren wasn't able to reach Annie before she started climbing the wall, nobody did...but then something I found cool happened, Eren worked together with Mikasa to take Annie down! Though we didn't directly see it, it was heavily implied that Eren picked Mikasa up and threw her up high so she could reach and take down Annie. And after Annie fell he was calm enough to hold her down while the rest of the Recon Corp worked to get her out. Eren was calm and in control the whole time...there was no BS talk about wanting to destroy the world...I mean come on...he suddenly wanted to destroy the world? What is this BS?

I dunno...to me this episode (while I still enjoyed the fighting) was just the final proof in proving why the manga beats the anime when it comes to the actual development of the plot. The manga didn't need a flashy and epic berserk titan fighting to keep it entertaining, it kept everything on a smaller scale than the anime but still managed to hold your attention and show character evolution. What's Anime Eren? Just an emotional berserker that only achieves anything through losing himself to the titan side...where's the development in that?

And two other things...Levi just walking around and acting all fine and dandy was retarded..just another excuse by the anime team to put a fan favorite into a scene eventhough he didn't belong there.
The fact that they left the titan in the wall reveal for the last second, happening hours after the battle is so very stupid...it was just a "Hey, we need a cool way to end the season....................fuck it, let's just do the reveal at the end." I hope they recon it, though I hate retconing >_>
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 17:30   Link #84
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
I certainly never felt sorry for Annie, but I get the impression they're painting her as a tragic character of sorts in order to raise sympathies from viewers. My problem with this is that it falls short when pretty much every other main character has a tragic past, and in some cases worse than hers.
and cutting most of her scenes with Eren was not helping

about Annie father > in manga he ask her to never trust humanity
(than again translated chapter maybe wrong )
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 17:30   Link #85
ExXentriK

A great way to finish off this arc, the episode was purely awesome !

Not much to say, eventhough they opted for slightly different events than the manga it fit perfectly well from the fight animations to the emotional scenes. It's the first and only episode that deserved a 10/10 to me.
Old 2013-09-28, 17:39   Link #86
kitten320

Ok I have watched episode properly so shall we begin?

1) As I feared last week, they removed Annie's expression when she crushed people in the church:
Spoiler for manga panel:

2) Too much destruction, especially from Eren's side.
Spoiler for Gif:

Just WTF was this? Annie casually runs by and then there is Eren going "I hate this tower" DESTROY!

3) Eren going Bersek... why? The whole point was that Eren is in control of his titan form yet here he once again loses it. Eren didn't develop one bit in anime.
He also never tried to eat Annie. He held her down while Survey Corps cut her out.
And why is he on fire? While it does not change anything I still don't understand it.

4) Anime team clearly loves Mikasa a lot... I for example don't understand why they had to replace Armin with Mikasa when Eren is taken out of titan body. I also don't understand why Armin is standing on sideline instead of sitting on Eren's bed what shows their closeness as friends.
Then they also removed the scene where Armin thinks of a plan and makes Eren throw Mikasa up in the air because otherwise she would not be able to reach Annie.

Literally every Armin scene was replaced with Mikasa. And while it does no real harm, anime fanboism towards Mikasa is just too glaring.

5) While I like Levi, his appearance was another forced fanservice. To boot he has damaged ankle and shouldn't be able to do what he did.

6) Jean never screamed at Annie, it was some random dude. At least they lowered amount of rage so it is not too bad.
And it was Hanji who stopped "him", not Levi.

7) I was looking forward to these shots:
Spoiler for manga panels:

8) WTF was that fusion time?

9) The scene with the titan in the wall was handled badly... for one it creates several inconsistencies. The titan was supposed to be discovered right away. Here almost whole city will be able to see it.
Besides it is not clear enough. My sister thought it was some random titan looking through a hole in the wall. It didn't even cross her mind that titan was inside the wall.
Just shows how badly it was handled.

10) To finish it on a good note...
I noticed long time ago that anime team tries to portray Mikasa in a brighter light, it is especially noticeable here:
Spoiler for panel comparison:

In manga Mikasa's face is more like "Eat that B@tch".
Here however she has pretty sad expression, like if she is actually bothered by the fact that Annie betrayed them, like it actually mattered on personal level like to Armin and Eren.
This shot actually made me like her more.

While over all it was a good episode, there are just several small things I don't like. Mostly the last scene and Eren going berserk what stopped his development.
Everything else I'm cool with.
Old 2013-09-28, 17:45   Link #87
desrtsku
Nympholept

^
Quote:
And why is he on fire?
Jeez, not this again. All titans without exception are "on fire". Colossal is, Armored is, even Annie is when she transforms. It's just likely that Eren is forcing his regeneration, you can notice that most of that so called "fire" are coming out of his wounds.

+ @Randrak42 I give up, why can't you guys understand that you don't end a story with a monstrous cliffhanger. Also, I disagree, anime Eren is not an "an emotional berserker that only achieves anything through losing himself to the titan side" per se. Firstly, because he can't even achieve anything alone even in a berserk state. Secondly, because he acted the same way as he did in the manga this episode up to the part where he went berserk .... but, he stopped himself at the last moment which proves that he still is in control even at maximum rage. And it's stunning how everyone's rant, purposely ignored that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
1) That is because escaping is a completely different matter. Levi had only to hook on a tree and move on with the wire and the gas.
That is absolutely not the same as having an acceleration before landing, then making a clear cut needing a strong stance with your feet in order to keep the strike momentum and not to fall like an idiot.
Yes, and he did an ultra fast spin back in the forest, which is just as ridiculous. Not to mention he escaped while transporting Eren which is even more burden than just "hook on a tree and move on with the wire and the gas" ; since he can only use one arm, the use of his feet at some point is required to make up for that. That's not mentioning he would have also needed to land with Eren still weighting on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
2) That is contradicting exactly because Erwin would never allow Levi to act rashly that could potentially make things worse for them in the long run. Having Levi doing this is already a problem, but doing it perfectly again is just nonsensical.
No he certainly wouldn't, and he didn't have the intention either just like that BatouFTW person noted.
But I don't understand the "perfectly again" part though. He did it this time, and only once. And supposing his injury got worse (as planned), why would he do it again?
Old 2013-09-28, 17:51   Link #88
kitten320

Those 3 let the steam out, they never went on fire.

Anime team literally added it purely for cool factor.
Old 2013-09-28, 17:56   Link #89
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ Yes it was the team's choice but I have two other answers
1. a stupid one : there's a saying that says "no smoke without fire".
2. They did it much much earlier than this episode and you guys act as if it didn't happen.
No, watch it again, Colossal was clearly on fire, Armored literally breathes fire ... oh, and during the spoon flashback, Eren was also "on fire". But no, no one cared ...
Old 2013-09-28, 17:59   Link #90
Haigon

Quote:
+ @Randrak42 I give up, why can't you guys understand that you don't end a story with a monstrous cliffhanger.
Why that scene needs to be a finale?
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 18:02   Link #91
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Why that scene needs to be a finale?
Explain further, I'm not sure if I did get the context behind that question.
Old 2013-09-28, 18:02   Link #92
kitten320

Quote:
^ Yes it was the team's choice but I have two other answers
1. a stupid one : there's a saying that says "no smoke without fire".
2. They did it much much earlier than this episode and you guys act as if it didn't happen.
No, watch it again, Colossal was clearly on fire, Armored literally breathes fire ... oh, and during the spoon flashback, Eren was also "on fire". But no, no one cared ...
Screen shots possibly?
I don't remember them flaming like Eren.
Old 2013-09-28, 18:07   Link #93
shalala

Did anyone else enjoy the "what we a revile" scenes aka the mini story about the miner and his friend story. I wonder how the vanished? Also I thought this ep was going to be 1 hour long? The ep it self was enjoyable to watch and that cliffhanger was huuh. Soo how did them titans get side the wall and can't they just destory the walls from the inside then?As for the manga readers being unhappy with some parts of the show I'm sure we can all understand when that happens to an manga we have enjoyed and then gets turned into an anime. At least it didn't turn out like Magi.
shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 18:08   Link #94
chaos_alfa

Quote:
+ @Randrak42 I give up, why can't you guys understand that you don't end a story with a monstrous cliffhanger.
Both options are valid ways to end a season. The benefit of ending a season with a cliffhanger is that it will make the audience anxious for the next season. This would make them more likely to watch the next season. An example of this would be the first season of Code Geass which also ended on a massive cliffhanger.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 18:12   Link #95
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ It happening with a massively popular series doesn't actually mean it was a display of good narrative. Furthermore, unlike with SnK, Code Geass ending with two people pointing guns at each other is nowhere near the same as "the walls are all titans!! what are we gonna do!!?" reveal that shakes the foundations of everything we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Screen shots possibly?
I don't remember them flaming like Eren.
With the exception of Armored's fire breathing skills, of course they weren't, what we got from them is just little spark for Annie and small bits of glowing light from Colossal and "Skinless titan Eren".
Just to make it clear : why do you even think titans are said to be "hot" in the first place? Wouldn't it make sense if they are literally burning?
Old 2013-09-28, 18:14   Link #96
kitten320

Duno, it just felt out of place...
Besides unlike them Eren has skin.
Old 2013-09-28, 18:16   Link #97
desrtsku
Nympholept

He doesn't when he partially transforms. Moreover, you could see the yellowish lightings on his muscles during the spoon flashback.
Old 2013-09-28, 18:19   Link #98
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I'm surprise nobody brought up Erwin just standing there like a G while a dismembered hand clutches on the bridge.

The man did not move or blinked once.

----------

About the episode, they really shouldn't have changed a lot of things.

It was perfect the way the manga had it. Beserker Eren wasn't necessary since it was a team effort to take down Annie and not a convenient anime power up that they chose to got with.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 18:21   Link #99
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ Just a Gendou/Eva shoutout, just like the cross shaped smoke that no one noticed and Eren smashing Annie (like Unit 01 did to Toji/Asuka).
Old 2013-09-28, 18:24   Link #100
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Yeah, I understand what you mean. But it really wasn't necessary.

I wish they wouldn't have cut Annie's scenes with Eren so it would help the viewers understand a bit of why Eren hesitates to fight her.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote