AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-16, 11:30   Link #2201
kitten320

Character is a shell. Author gives it personality and reason as to why it is that way. However, authors usually explore only specific time period. Anything could happen after that.

Besides characters are meant to satisfy fans.

While I don't like total OOcness, I don't mind it if there is some base behind.

Of course when it takes over the real personality it is annoying.

Homura might be portrayed as perv but she is also portrayed properly so it kinda balances each other out.
If you don't like panty Homura thief, just don't look at those images. There are thousands of normal ones
Old 2013-02-16, 11:42   Link #2202
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Character is a shell. Author gives it personality and reason as to why it is that way. However, authors usually explore only specific time period. Anything could happen after that.
No, not "anything". Yes, authors determine the personality of a character. That personality shapes what are believable and in-character portrayals of a character, and what are not believable and in-character portrayals of a character.

Quote:
Besides characters are meant to satisfy fans.
Characters serve way more purposes than just that, and in fact, characters don't even necessarily serve the "satisfy fans" purpose at all. This is certainly true of a major character in a Gen Urobuchi-wrote work, of all things.

Quote:
While I don't like total OOcness, I don't mind it if there is some base behind.
Deeply loving someone does not mean you have an overwhelming fetish for wearing his/her underwear on your head.

Quote:
Of course when it takes over the real personality it is annoying.
And that is why Pantyhead Homura is annoying to some people, including some Madoka fans, including me.

Quote:
Homura might be portrayed as perv but she is also portrayed properly so it kinda balances each other out.
If Homura is portrayed as a perv then she is not being portrayed properly because Homura did nothing particularly pervy in the anime itself. She did not nosebleed at anyone. She did not go out of her way to catch Madoka in a state of undress. She did not try to physically force herself on anyone like some actual pervy characters in anime do.

If people want to fantasize about a pervy Homura, then that's their choice, but let's not pretend there's any canon basis for it whatsoever. Because there isn't. It is pure 100% fabrication/speculation.

Quote:
If you don't like panty Homura thief, just don't look at those images.
It's not that simple. If you're a fan of Homura, and you want to find Homura pictures, you will inevitably run across many of these Pantyhead Homura images.

Also, people have every right to voice criticisms of images of their favorite characters that they dislike and consider OOC for that character.
Old 2013-02-16, 12:05   Link #2203
kitten320

Come on, it is not your first time entering fanbase community. Shit like this is in every fandom, you really should have been used to it by now. Otherwise I have no idea what you are doing on internet.

Just skip through those images, it's not like you are forced to stare at them for hours. Download all the stuff you like and then look through your folder as much as you want. Fandom is meant to satisfy everyone.

It is your right not to like them but you can't force people to stop drawing them either.

And no, human can make a 180 degree change in character. There are a lot of people who were nice and sweet and then turned into serial killers and so on.

Homura could be anyone in 20 years depending on what happens in her life.

Panty Homura is simply a comedic take on her affection towards Madoka. If Madoka series were a comedy, that's how she most likely would be.

Take a look at F/SN series and its famous Parody Carnival Phantasm. Creators themselves are over exaggerating over characters personalities. Its normal.

Its your right not to like it, but it is normal for things like that to happen. That's why fandoms exist in the first place and I personally would love to see what people would do with my characters.

Would I actually like their take or not is a different story but I'm curious to see how big would be my fanbase imagination.
Old 2013-02-16, 12:24   Link #2204
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Come on, it is not your first time entering fanbase community. Shit like this is in every fandom,
No, not really. Do you see many images of Tomoya Okazaki wearing Nagisa's panties on his head? Do you see many images of Nanoha wearing Fate's panties on her head? Do you see many images of Kirito wearing Asuna's panties on his head?

Yes, many anime shows have their share of silly/dumb fanimagery, and I accept that. But such imagery typically doesn't turn into memes that twist and distort the perception of major characters like this. That is unusual. It is at least part of the reason why Shyni has reservations about Madoka Magica (or at least its fandom), which as a Madoka Magica fan is naturally disheartening to me.

There are practical reasons for disliking the Pantyhead Homura meme and for expressing that dislike.

Quote:
Just skip through those images, it's not like you are forced to stare at them for hours.
If you truly care about a character, then certain portrayals of that character will tend to rub you the wrong way. I doubt many Superman fans would take kindly to him wearing Lois Lane's panties on his head becoming a meme (and Superman's love for Lois Lane is very deep itself, depending on which version of Superman we're talking about it).

I don't think people should be expected to just ignore portrayals of a character that they like a lot if they find that portrayal disrespectful of said character.

Quote:
It is your right not to like them but you can't force people to stop drawing them either.
Of course not, but if artists make character art that other parts of the fandom find disrespectful of that character, then I see no problem in those artists being made aware of that fact.

Quote:
And no, human can make a 180 degree change in character. There are a lot of people who were nice and sweet and then turned into serial killers and so on.
Serial killers by their very nature are outliers. Most humans do not make a 180 degree change in character during their lifetime. Besides, if a character can be all things to all people doesn't that make him or her a shallow cipher of a character? That's the last thing I would want for a character that I like. Having a well-fleshed out and solid personality tends to give much more life and memorable characterization to a character, in my opinion.

Quote:
Panty Homura is simply a comedic take on her affection towards Madoka.
If so, then it fails as comedy, in my opinion, because it doesn't at all reflect how Homura portrays her affection towards Madoka.

Quote:
Its your right not to like it, but it is normal for things like that to happen.
No, it's not. It really isn't. For the reasons I stated in this post.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-02-16 at 12:38.
Old 2013-02-16, 12:50   Link #2205
kitten320

You are simply taking fandom way too seriously.

How would you show Homura's affection towards Madoka in a comedy setting then? In a Japanese anime/comedy.

I'll put myself as an example then. Years ago I was seen as a biggest crybaby on earth and was constantly made fun of and bullied. Now years later I'm seen as a thick, unbreakable wall that is always happy and doesn't give a damn. I'm sometimes called as a "bully" too but in positive way.

That's pretty much a 180 degree change right here. And I'm living a normal life.

Characters usually don't so their changes would be more significant.

Those characters might not have panty memes but they have other memes beside their style of animations is also different what would make fandom different as well.

This meme might be pushing you away but for others it might be the main hook to watch the series. Fandom is mean to satisfy all sides.
Old 2013-02-16, 13:05   Link #2206
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
You are simply taking fandom way too seriously.
When a fandom actually starts turning off potential viewers/new fans (especially when it does so with fanart, which ought to help an anime's perception if anything), then I think it's warranted to take that fandom seriously.

Quote:
How would you show Homura's affection towards Madoka in a comedy setting then?
How about this image here? I found that much funnier (and in-character for Homura) than any of the pantyhead images.

Besides, it's not like it's absolutely necessary to show Homura's affection towards Madoka in a comedic light.

Quote:
I'll put myself as an example then. Years ago I was seen as a biggest crybaby on earth and was constantly made fun of and bullied. Now years later I'm seen as a thick, unbreakable wall that is always happy and doesn't give a damn. I'm sometimes called as a "bully" too but in positive way.
Good for you. But I stand by my "most people do not make a 180 change" comment. A lot of people would not have been able to make the change that you did if they were in your shoes. That's something you can take pride in.

Quote:
Those characters might not have panty memes but they have other memes beside their style of animations is also different what would make fandom different as well.
Yes, but those memes are based on something actually from the show, as per my earlier points on this thread. Nanoha's "befriending", for example.

Quote:

This meme might be pushing you away but for others it might be the main hook to watch the series.
Pantyhead Homura being the main hook for someone watching Madoka Magica is a scary thought. My mind boggles at how disappointed such a person will likely be after watching Madoka Magica. It would make my disappointment over the Aoi Hana anime seem like a walk in the park.

Madoka Magica is *not* YuruYuri. If you go into Madoka Magica expecting YuruYuri then you will almost certainly be sorely disappointed.

Note: It's clear that you yourself take fandoms pretty seriously, or you would not be carrying on this debate with me to this extent. You can't say that you're not taking fandoms seriously if you feel this compelled to defend fandoms from even the slightest of criticism.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-02-16 at 13:22. Reason: Adding in more reply to kitten320
Old 2013-02-16, 13:30   Link #2207
kitten320

Well I personally can't stand Zutara fandom as well as Makorra fandom from Avatar series, they are a complete push away for me because those fandoms tend to ruin the characters. However, there is nothing I can do about it except skip through the stuff.

I'm big Azula fan but usually Azula fans tend to turn Zuko into a heartless maniac what I also don't accept. To make my own life easier, I just skip through this stuff and pretend that I didn't see it unless it seriously went overboard and I want to make some corrections.

So I fully understand where you are coming from. But sadly you can't do much about it except letting your emotions out from time to time.

Nice image, I like it. Though if I have to be serious it still make Homura look a bit silly

That really depends... in order for change to happen you need to want it. It also depends on things and people you encounter. If you try to change your life in one way or another, it will. Sometimes it changes without you wanting it.

Actually now that I think about it, Homura herself is a perfect example to my words. At first she was a shy crybaby but gradually after everything that happened she turned into a strong and cool personality. She is a living proof to my words about 180 degree personality change, especially when it comes to fictional characters.

Anyway talking about this won't really achieve much. We can bitch as much as we want but nothing will change
Though it is nice to let steam out from time to time
Old 2013-02-16, 13:38   Link #2208
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Panty Homura is simply a comedic take on her affection towards Madoka. If Madoka series were a comedy, that's how she most likely would be.
Alternately, she could be an avid fan of FPS or golf games to represent her usual choice of weapons. Or take up cosplaying due to being a magical girl. Or have a ludicrously large collection of clocks because of her time stopping powers. Or countless other possibilities based on the various character traits she has. Why would her fondness of Madoka even be the prime subject for humor?

But more to the point, since you've asked how else to comically render her affection towards Madoka, the simple "SHE IS MY WIFE!" is quite common, as would be trying to offer herself as a valentine's gift.

To be quite honest, I've only seen one other character actually wearing panties on their head, and that was Dragonball's Oolong. Do you really want Homura to be associated with a literal pig?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2013-02-16, 13:40   Link #2209
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Well I personally can't stand Zutara fandom as well as Makorra fandom from Avatar series, they are a complete push away for me because those fandoms tend to ruin the characters. However, there is nothing I can do about it except skip through the stuff.

I'm big Azula fan but usually Azula fans tend to turn Zuko into a heartless maniac what I also don't accept. To make my own life easier, I just skip through this stuff and pretend that I didn't see it unless it seriously went overboard and I want to make some corrections.

So I fully understand where you are coming from.
I'm glad we're not as far apart as I had thought we might be.

To be clear, I fully expect the pantyhead Homura meme to continue.

But I think it's important for newcomers to a show to know when fanart doesn't really reflect a character. Partly so that expectations don't get out of whack, and also so people aren't turned away from shows that they'd actually like if they gave it a chance.

Edit: Oolong would be the perfect boyfriend for fanart Homura.
Old 2013-02-16, 13:41   Link #2210
Kudryavka

Why are people trying to characterize and explain fandom tendencies here

It's like trying to explain a crazy person's mind, it is impossible unless you are him. Fans do lots of strange, crazy things. Should I even get into the dark side of My Little Pony fandom?
Old 2013-02-16, 13:57   Link #2211
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
But more to the point, since you've asked how else to comically render her affection towards Madoka, the simple "SHE IS MY WIFE!" is quite common, as would be trying to offer herself as a valentine's gift.
Well that's pretty much panty meme for you

You don't seem to check a lot of images since a lot of that stuff is shown too.

Homura's affection for Madoka was the main reason as to why she even became a time travelling magical girl and started to stock up with all the stuff so picking on it is the most obvious thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But I think it's important for newcomers to a show to know when fanart doesn't really reflect a character. Partly so that expectations don't get out of whack, and also so people aren't turned away from shows that they'd actually like if they gave it a chance.
I'm fully with you here.
If people are pushed away by weird art works, it is a right choice to tell them that they are misunderstanding.
Old 2013-02-16, 14:00   Link #2212
Shyni

We're kind of getting off track here, since this is about shows, and not fandoms, aren't we?

I'm sorry I ever brought up the perv Homu thing now.
Old 2013-02-16, 14:02   Link #2213
kitten320

Well talks like this are needed from time to time too
Old 2013-02-16, 14:04   Link #2214
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
We're kind of getting off track here, since this is about shows, and not fandoms, aren't we?

I'm sorry I ever brought up the perv Homu thing now.
No, it's fine. You gave us a chance to explain Homura's character to avoid any misconceptions, lol.

But yeah, to put this thread back on-track...

I was never really able to get into One Piece. Apart from my issues with its art style, I thought the show should have had, well, more actual pirating.
Old 2013-02-16, 14:12   Link #2215
kitten320

I only started it, am at episode 18 but can't say that I have seen anything really unique so far either.

Art style is a bit of a push away too and Luffy seems a bit too stupid... well actually it is a bit hard to find smart charas there.
Old 2013-02-17, 06:49   Link #2216
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Art style is a bit of a push away too and Luffy seems a bit too stupid... well actually it is a bit hard to find smart charas there.
The art makes me raise my eye during scenes when it supposed to be dramatic...

I can't feel the sadness looking that those faces.....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-02-17 at 08:10.
Old 2013-02-17, 08:03   Link #2217
kitten320

True, it makes you go "uuuhhhh".

They look too comedic.
Old 2013-02-17, 19:00   Link #2218
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The art makes me raise my eye during scenes when it supposed to be dramatic...

I can't feel the sadness looking that those faces.....
I honestly laughed when I saw Usopp almost dying. I mean, was it supposed to be funny?
Old 2013-02-17, 19:20   Link #2219
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
I honestly laughed when I saw Usopp almost dying. I mean, was it supposed to be funny?
Agree... That applies almost to every one who gets wounded and dies in One Piece.... we laugh to supposedly a dramatic scene..
Old 2013-02-17, 19:48   Link #2220
Kudryavka

Spoiler for one piece death spoiler, but it happened 3 years ago:

I lawled all the way home.
Closed Thread