AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-04, 03:01   Link #321
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

More mysterious then: the character who should not exist, may exist, but in an existence that unsure to be herself

Great, i'm hoping that i won't be able to expect what's coming (so far had several guesses at killer lolies, family ancient grudge, and natural disaster) ^^
Old 2009-07-04, 03:36   Link #322
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
LOL we're getting into really big spoiler territory here. Let's let everyone else speculate on this instead.
No it's not, that shape is indistinct so you can't really reach any conclusion from that, and it's not a mystery either that so far there's only been a "question" arc.

Old 2009-07-04, 03:49   Link #323
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Are we talking about the OP or the person carrying the umbrella behind Maria? The OP is debatable depending on how you want the series to be upfront. For the umbrella scene I mean come on, from a purely visual POV of looking at the ribbon on her front and all the frills on the clothes the visual form of this person can only be one figure. What I mean by spoiler is the essence behind this scene, because debating whether or not this person if REALLY who we think it is is major spoiler material.
Old 2009-07-04, 04:34   Link #324
Scython

I sure hope the characters will grow on me. Because there's such a large cast, they obviously wanted to give everyone some screen time, which doesn't really give me any chance to like a certain character.

I'll come back to this in a few more episodes, I guess.
Old 2009-07-04, 06:41   Link #325
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
this was a great ep... i really enjoyed it and can't wait for more

Spoiler for :S:
Old 2009-07-04, 06:43   Link #326
Ferny
:D

Opening: Overall excellent. There were a few points where the animation seemed too weak for a strong point in the lyrics, and vice-versa. But it was good overall. I love the song itself; good lyrics, and the singer has a good voice. I also like how it keeps the hint of the original song used in the games hidden in there (the chanting and little tune in the song). The very first bit of the OP is one of the best parts, as it shows the Beatrice portrait and zooms in on a few parts with a dramatic effect. The part where the characters flash out of the darkness very quickly is in time with the music, so that was good too. Possibly my favorite part from the OP, however, is the scene where Maria is shown standing in front of the mansion. It then zooms in on the bottom half of her face, as it switches from a blank expression to an insane smile in silence and a gray tone. It gave off a very eerie feeling. (Although I believe it's yet another thing that makes Maria's role too obvious, but that's a different story.) I also like how Beatrice is shown standing there, and then she bursts into a cloud of golden butterflies and flies away. The very ending is also amazing, where the red-toned screen shows Beatrice and Battler facing each other...it's hard to describe, but it's just...interesting.

Ending: EPIC WIN. Seriously, epic win. The chessboard scene at the beginning was awesome, and the way it kept spinning fit really well with the music. Another good effect was how the one-winged eagle was shown as soon as the music dropped for a second. All the effects are awesome! I also love the voice, the random evil laugh, and the random English thrown in. The lyrics are amazing! Probably the best anime ending I've ever seen! But the end of the ending was very impressive, how it shows two empty chairs in a room, then it zooms in to show part of Beatrice, then part of Battler, then the two are sitting in the chairs that were previously shown. Incredible ending.

Animation: The animation was a bit...akward...at parts, but it was good overall. I especally loved the animation whenever someone would have an angry expression, or the animation overall through the rose garden scene. It's good enough that it can convey the emotion that it's supposed to, and that's what's important. Very different from any of the Higurashi styles, which is good. (Although, in my opinion, I would've liked to see the Umineko characters in Higurashi Kai's style.) The effects are excellent, too. It's fast, new, and pretty cool!

Voice Acting: All the voices were pretty good (except Kinzo's, it sounds weird). I kinda wish that some of Higurashi's voice actors weren't shared with Umineko, because now I can't stop thinking of Miyo from Higurashi everytime I hear Eva's voice. Battler's is a little deeper than I imagined, and Jessica's should be a little higher. My favorite voices would have to be Rosa's and Maria's; they were just how I imagined them. But they were good, and went well with the animation whenever a character was angry or sad (unlike the English version of Higurashi...*shudders*).

Sound: I liked the background music; it all fit well with the situations. The sound effects were also good, especally when Battler first noticed the Beatrice painting. They were good at delivering the emotion of the whole scene. I don't like how it was censored when Eva was yelling at Natsuhi, though. I mean, why would they censor that? It wasn't even a cuss word, and it aired at 1:30 in the morning! As if any kids would be up then to watch it! Anyways... Not much to say about it, but the BGM and SE were very good, overall.

Plot: As MANY other people have already said, it was rushed. While a few others have gone on and on about it being very rushed, it actually wasn't that bad. Sure, they left out a few scenes, but it still makes sense at this point. As far as I can see now, someone who's completely new to the world of Umineko should be just fine watching the anime, even without reading the sound novel or game. It got to the point, although I think a few parts could've used a little more description. While a lot happened in this episode (about equal to everything that happened in the first manga volume), the entire arc (equal to the first game) is confirmed to be five episodes, so the pace will have to slow down once the drama really starts. I expect that the plot and pace will improve greatly, so we'll just wait and see. For now, it's excellent.

Characters: The character designs are excellent, and the anime seems to have kept to their original personalities. I'm glad that they kept Maria's uu~ noise; it's like a trademark for her! (It's also the new nipah~ *is shot*) Not much to say at this point, but so far, so good!

Relation to Game and Manga: Never played the game. But I've read the manga. The anime has obviously skipped a few scenes, but nothing too major. It seems to stay true to the original story!

Overall: EXCELLENT. One of the best anime I've ever seen, and it's already competing with Higurashi for my favorite. I definately recommend it for any Higurashi fan, or anyone in general. Sure, the first episode's kinda slow, but it can only get better, right? I give it a 9/10!
Old 2009-07-04, 07:09   Link #327
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferny View Post
I don't like how it was censored when Eva was yelling at Natsuhi, though. I mean, why would they censor that? It wasn't even a cuss word, and it aired at 1:30 in the morning! As if any kids would be up then to watch it!
actually the beeping sound where from the RAW and not on the TV if I remember right the subbed ver dosnt have any beep sound.
Old 2009-07-04, 07:09   Link #328
Auria

Watched the sub with a friend of mine who doesn't really like anime (is a big higurashi fan though and has watched death note as well). As a non VN-player he didn't thought the episode was rushed (the introduction of the characters aside) and felt like he grabbed the plot. The only thing I had to explain afterwards was the ushiromiya crest thingy, and the character relations in the ingame tips.

Nice contrast to other opinions here: He likes Maria and was very angry when Rosa hit her. ;_;
Old 2009-07-04, 07:32   Link #329
Clarste
Human

First time viewer with no expectations here.

I found it sort of funny how they deconstructed the "cute girl with trademark noise" thing that seems popular nowadays by making it clear that she's very annoying and probably has developmental problems, given her age. Whether my sympathy lies with her or her mother remains to be seen (it was clearly a very tense time for the family what with the money thing and accusations being thrown around).

Also, it didn't feel particularly rushed. I suppose we might be missing something, but those gaps weren't noticeable. Introducing a large cast quickly is a pretty common narrative technique. We'll figure out who these people are as they become important.

As for Beatrice, I don't think the anime made it seem like she really exists, as an earlier post implied it might have. It's all very mysterious right now, and rather than thinking that she exists we don't know what to think. Maria seems pretty crazy, so I don't feel like her word should be taken at face value, and there are plenty of people to be walking around the estate with umbrellas.
Old 2009-07-04, 07:35   Link #330
Scython

Quote:
Overall: EXCELLENT. One of the best anime I've ever seen, and it's already competing with Higurashi for my favorite. I definately recommend it for any Higurashi fan, or anyone in general. Sure, the first episode's kinda slow, but it can only get better, right? I give it a 9/10!
At this point Umineko has nothing on Higurashi.
How can it already compete with your favorite after seeing one episode?
Old 2009-07-04, 07:43   Link #331
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Quote:

Hoy can you compare 2 seasons of Higurashi + OVA to one episode of Umineko?

At least wait until the first arc is finished ^^
Old 2009-07-04, 07:45   Link #332
Kitsu
The unlucky one

That person read the manga right? So he know of it will go on. But I agree with you guys, you should wait with your judging till we come to the more awesome parts of the series
Old 2009-07-04, 10:49   Link #333
cerrian

As someone who has done everything humanly possible to avoid any of the VNs, mangas, forum discussions, and spoilers, I'm essentially jumping into this series with almost no expectations other than comparing it to Higurashi.

This was an introductionary episode plan and simple. The usage of displaying the characters' names and briefly explaining their relationships to each other, rather than developing their characters over time, suggests to me that people are going to start dieing real quick and that their deaths play more of a role moving the story forward than would otherwise be the case.

I had no issues with the pacing. Walking into this I knew that there were going to be some mystery elements and some of the best mysteries out there are known to have a slow start as they build up. The sole purpose of this episode was to introduce a very large cast. I expect the fleshing out of the characters and their relationships to occur over time. So I'm not too worried that the first episode didn't start off with a bang but make no mistake, the first episode didn't really have any major attention grabbers other than the creepy aura surrounding Maria and Beatrice.

Had I not known about Umineko's relation to Higurashi, I would say that after viewing the first ep. it would have been a wait and let's see situation.
Old 2009-07-04, 11:10   Link #334
Alaya
Counter Force

By the way, we, the VN reader, haven't properly greet the new visitor (new/first time viewer of the Anime), have we? Shall we give some more introduction and advice for watching Umineko?

Anyway, for all newcomers here,

Welcome to Rokkenjima of 4th October 1986.

We wish you will enjoy your stay here, as the events continue. Please sit comfortably and drink some fine tea we have prepared. You will not regret staying here.

PS. For those who wish to watch the original OP from the game, here are the youtube links:

Spoiler for Game OP:

If the MOD think it's not appropriate please delete this PS.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.

Last edited by Alaya; 2009-07-04 at 12:35.
Old 2009-07-04, 11:19   Link #335
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

And as an extension to what Alaya posted, feel free to ask any questions you have about the story through the PM system if you feel that the question is a potential spoiler that doesn't fit the anime threads, or if you feel that wading through the game threads have too many spoilers to risk.

The VN players should be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, bear in mind of course that you should really indicate in your questions if you like a spoiler-free answer or a detailed spoiler one, lest one of us accidentally spoil you on something.

So please put yourselves at ease.
There is nothing truly difficult to think about.
Try to understand and accept the events that happen.
That is all that is asked of you, of us.

Shall we begin with the easy road?

(<-- Hopes Klash doesn't gut him alive for paraphrasing his lines )

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-07-04 at 11:31.
Old 2009-07-04, 11:56   Link #336
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
B
PS. For those who wish to watch the original OP from the game, here are the youtube links:

Spoiler for Game OP:

The original OP might actually be better at providing a sense of foreboding with a nice bit of bloodshed. It certainly did a better job of grabbing my attention than the anime OP did.
Old 2009-07-04, 12:17   Link #337
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm not a VN player.

I like the anime OP better. Too many use of words within the animation in the game OP would be considered "lazy animation" by some anime fans imo. Anime OP is also timed perfectly with the OP song imo. Now the anime ED is awesome.

Maria's uuu is rather annoying but Rosa crossed the line and she knew it. Kudos for the anime showing Rosa's regret for slapping Maria.

I loved the first episode. Sure there were a lot of characters introduced in the first episode but the relationship cheat sheet is in the TIPs section to review when problems arise.
Old 2009-07-04, 12:40   Link #338
Alaya
Counter Force

The original OP is one of the major reasons I decide to play Umineko no Naku Koro Ni visual novel. The OP might not have good animation but as it only made by doujin group, it's quality is good enough.

And yeah, I really like the game OP music. For me it is far more epic than the anime one. Maybe it's because of the feeling when I played the game for the first time too.

And I would admit that since the first time I watched the game OP, I really wish that it will be animated by professional animator. For many times, I imagine how epic it would be when Kinzo scream for the smile of Beatrice, and then look up on the stormy night sky and cut into well animated OP version of the game OP and music.

PS. The texts in both OP from the game are from the Epitaph of the Portrait.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.

Last edited by Alaya; 2009-07-04 at 13:10.
Old 2009-07-04, 12:52   Link #339
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm not a VN player.

I like the anime OP better. Too many use of words within the animation in the game OP would be considered "lazy animation" by some anime fans imo. Anime OP is also timed perfectly with the OP song imo. Now the anime ED is awesome.

Maria's uuu is rather annoying but Rosa crossed the line and she knew it. Kudos for the anime showing Rosa's regret for slapping Maria.

I loved the first episode. Sure there were a lot of characters introduced in the first episode but the relationship cheat sheet is in the TIPs section to review when problems arise.
Honestly, Umineko's lazy animation and graphics is one of the things that made the VN so unique for me. Because it relies on the story and the (amazing) sountrack, and not on clean artwork and cute character designs.
It is one of my favorite Visual Novels ever, and it competes against many others I've played before whose graphics are 100x more appealing.

Also, I think that the game OP song is a lot more addicting than the anime song, even if they're both very good. I'm seconding Alaya, and say that it was also one of the main reasons why I decided to buy Umineko.
Old 2009-07-04, 17:24   Link #340
Saerianne
*cackle*

Even if it had bad animation, I was hooked on EP 4's opening. I couldn't stop watching it.
Closed Thread