AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-05-19, 11:07   Link #181
Xacual

After reading chapters 2 and 3. Wow I was surprised by some unexpected events. Homura was kind of scary though.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 15:04   Link #182
Witched

So depressing it isn't a Prequel.
Everything would make more sense as a Prequel than a Spin-Off.
Looks like Madoka is friends with them and Homuhomu.
Witched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 15:13   Link #183
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I think the problem with a prequel at this point is that due to Homura's time traveling, we can pretty much guess what is going to happen except for back stories and alternate time lines. While it might be nice to see the lives of the anime cast before they became Magical Girls, I'm not sure it would make for a terribly interesting story except for fan curiosity.

Pretty much all the writers can do now is create more stories of various Homura time loops, side stories like Kazumi, and making a sequel to the anime. Of course, the problem with Kazumi atm is that it's difficult to say if it is even canon or not. For now all we can tell is that it is "loosely based" on the Madoka Magica universe as it existed prior to Madoka's wish, but even that is complicated thanks to Jyubey.

Anyway, speaking as a fan, side stories and such are fun, but I'd rather just see a direct sequel to the anime.
Old 2011-05-19, 15:15   Link #184
Witched

Would be good if it was about a whole new character who becomes the next Yuma, loving Homura and stuff. Then it's going to be another series of time travelling and such endlessly, haha.
I wonder what happened to Yuma after Madoka wished for anyways...
Witched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 18:51   Link #185
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
By the way, is this series completed in just two volumes, or is it just that there are only two volumes out right now?
Well when this series was first announced it had been stated that it would be two volumes long however since the release dates for volumes 1 and 2 had been pushed back who knows what idea changes may have occurred during that time frame and with the way this manga is selling it would be crazy not to try and capitalize on it as much as possible.
Old 2011-05-19, 22:28   Link #186
Used Can

I don't think the Japanese use the word spin-off in the same way we do. For example, To Love-Ru Darkness was said to be a spin-off. However, it is a sequel. I've seen other cases in which they've used the word spin-off to mean prequels and sequel. And, well, in the case of Oriko, there was one synopsis saying that was an old timeline.

Now, how are they going to tie this to the anime plot? Who knows? We never saw Oriko nor Kirika in any of the timelines in ep10, and this manga is taking place after the school period started. Of course, for all we know, this could be just an alternate universe type of story.
Old 2011-05-19, 22:34   Link #187
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Social services? Even in countries like America they have difficult, if not often impossible, jobs. Dealing with the legal red tape is a nightmare, and it's not always a simple matter of "clear case of abuse, take child into custody". And for added insult to injury, the new home the child ends up at may not be any better.

It's sad, and cruel, but life is fucked up like that. Just think of the irony here...Yuma has incredible despair/karma built up. She's going to be one hell of a Witch.

I'm left wondering if Walpurgis even factors into this time loop at all. We never see what scares the crap out of Oriko, but it's possible she doesn't make the connection between the Witch leveling the city and what happens if Yuma's incredible potential for beating that Witch results in something even worse (shades of Gretchen). I feel like we're going to watch a self fulfilling prophecy happen.
Well it is a cloud of black tendril like things.....similar to Kriemhild's....besides, she saw WN and while stunned, wasn't exactly like "ARRRGGHHH GODS MY EYEEEESSSSS!!!" like a few moments later...

I'm expecting Homura to jump in the next chapter...kick ass and take names before resetting this timeline....again...
Old 2011-05-20, 09:26   Link #188
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
Social services? Even in countries like America they have difficult, if not often impossible, jobs. Dealing with the legal red tape is a nightmare, and it's not always a simple matter of "clear case of abuse, take child into custody". And for added insult to injury, the new home the child ends up at may not be any better.
Yeah, I know about that. And I'm sure Urobuchi does, too. That's his usual way of playing out the worst scenario cases.

Quote:
besides, she saw WN and while stunned
she didn't even look that stunned to me, just sad and determined. Really, I can't wait to see her story... and can't help sympathizing for her since the beginning, despite all her gambits.
Old 2011-05-31, 19:09   Link #189
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Really enjoyed reading the manga.

Spoiler for Chapter 3:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 06:10   Link #190
Snork
Twilight lander

So it's two weeks until Vol 2.

Spoiler for Points I'm wondering about:

Plus the usual questions like "what timeline is it", "how come these events don't seem to happen in other timelines", "what the heck is Oriko planning" and "what will happen to Yuma".
Old 2011-06-01, 08:26   Link #191
Used Can

I'm still rooting for a twist, chances are nil there'll be one, but I'd love for there to be a seriously flabbergasting twist at the end.
Old 2011-06-01, 09:03   Link #192
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

The way I'm reading it so far, it's probable this is timeline 4--or at least the timeline just before the TV series---if we assume it's follwing that.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 06:27   Link #193
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
I'm still rooting for a twist, chances are nil there'll be one, but I'd love for there to be a seriously flabbergasting twist at the end.
chances are nil? dunno, the only point we can foretell is that this timeline will get reset, too (and that it means Madoka WILL die/become a witch, regardless of whether the manga shows it or not). Everything else is not that obvious. I'm really curious so far.

EDIT: just dug up an interesting thought at /a/. If the threat Oriko foresaw in her vision and freaked out at was Gretchen wrecking havoc upon this world... then it IS timeline 4. And since Madoka only grows stronger progressively, it means Gretchen (existing or potential) was weaker in previous timelines, meaning Oriko didn't have to make a fuss about it. And that's why the whole issue didn't surface before.

Last edited by Snork; 2011-06-02 at 07:48.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 11:49   Link #194
Jimmy C

But, even in her first appearance in timeline 2, Gretchen was already worse than Walpurgis.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 13:22   Link #195
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
just dug up an interesting thought at /a/. If the threat Oriko foresaw in her vision and freaked out at was Gretchen wrecking havoc upon this world... then it IS timeline 4. And since Madoka only grows stronger progressively, it means Gretchen (existing or potential) was weaker in previous timelines, meaning Oriko didn't have to make a fuss about it. And that's why the whole issue didn't surface before.
Doesn't explain what happened to her in timeline 5 though, unless the last page or so of the series shows timeline 5 and Homura dealing with the problem before it starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
But, even in her first appearance in timeline 2, Gretchen was already worse than Walpurgis.
But if she were just considered a city or state/country-level threat, then it wouldn't be as bad as timeline 4's Gretchen who was a global threat.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 05:21   Link #196
Snork
Twilight lander

And timeline 5's Gretchen was a universal threat... But in TL4 Gretchen was a force nobody could stop. In TL5, she was destroyed right after being born. If Oriko foresaw that, there would be no need for her to act up either.
Old 2011-06-11, 09:29   Link #197
Snork
Twilight lander

Volume 2 preview

Spoiler for I continue to...:
Old 2011-06-11, 09:58   Link #198
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Spoiler for Volume 2 preview:

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-06-11 at 10:13.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 13:12   Link #199
Snork
Twilight lander

Spoiler for @Liddo-kun:
Old 2011-06-11, 13:54   Link #200
Used Can

I couldn't keep my eyes off the panel with Mami's injured leg.