AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-20, 20:58   Link #321
Midonin
Last Engage

And another pickup

This means I can now do my "The Two iDOLM@STERs Comparison Diary" entries on Saturday instead of Friday (I'd accept any day other than Friday. That day's dense with shows. A sense of reprieve helps.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 23:46   Link #322
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
No, only the DLCs of catalogue 1-3 are included free in the ps3 version. FWIW the 360 version is currently up to catalogue 5.
Oi~~~ There is a game thread, so talk about all of that there.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 00:15   Link #323
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I would like to point out that just because a show might not have the most thought out story or engaging characters (as of yet, I don't know if it does develop into something more later on) that doesn't mean it fails as an animation.
Woah woah, I think what he meant was that it's a guilty pleasure for him because he doesn't think of Idolm@ster as the type of anime he usually watches or likes to watch. I'd rather leave the "character driven vs. plot driven" debate and all that entails out of this.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 03:07   Link #324
twinklestar
anime fanbot..LOL!

So Crunchyroll picked-up this series now huh!
twinklestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 08:56   Link #325
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

With Crunchy now streaming it, i feel.... a conflict of loyalty over certain things i cannot say.

Anyway here's another VA interview with the cast, this episode featuring Makoto and Yukiho's voice actresses.

Old 2011-07-21, 12:44   Link #326
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for iDOLM@STER Travelers' Visits 03 - Hidden in the Corner of the Map is a Place That Only Shows Up When You Get Mail From It:
Old 2011-07-21, 22:46   Link #327
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 08:01   Link #328
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Spoiler for ep3:
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 11:38   Link #329
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep3:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-22, 14:14   Link #330
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Staring one of my least favorite characters of the show, it's not surprising that this episode felt rather 'meh' to me. Regardless, I do join the chorus of voices that a bit of explanation as to why Yukiho has this phobia of men and dogs would really have served a good purpose here. Right now, while we do have a little bit of character development, it isn't nearly as large as it would have been had we also been shown her background.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:45   Link #331
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I know that it's sort of futile arguing over what is a guilty pleasure to someone since it's usually a personal qualification (I can understand that some won't want to be caught watching a show about this subject matter, though I personally don't think it's nearly as embarrassing or shameful as other anime at all, and to add it's hardly sexually driven at all, and the most risqué thing in these past two episodes was Azusa's Gravure pose in episode one, but again I can understand that some will feel that the premise itself is sort of creepy for one reason or other) but I would like to point out that just because a show might not have the most thought out story or engaging characters (as of yet, I don't know if it does develop into something more later on) that doesn't mean it fails as an animation.

The first episode for example was shot in a mockumentary fashion almost entirely. Not only did I think that was a creative and uncommon way to make your introductory episode, but it also helped highlight each member of the cast and give each one of them time to present themselves and give us a basic idea of who they are and what are their aspirations are. The first episode managed to give every one a chance at the spotlight and didn't waste time with presenting each uniquely design and coloured idol.

So was it well written? Other than giving each girl ample time, not really. But was it interesting and well crafted visually? Hell yeah.

The second episode, while not on the same level of creativeness, wasn't trash at I thought. The characters focused on this episode might not have been that engaging or lovable, but even when the episode centered around them that didn't mean others didn't get a chance to shine as well. Ritsuko was just as prominent in this episode as she was in the first, even if she's not an active idol herself for one. The photo shoot also helped. Azusa & Miki were present as the ''prefect'' idols by having the former be the older, mature type who the younger idols always look up to while the latter is a camera magnet. Makoto & Hibiki established some differences between their similar tomboyish characteristics. We got more hints dropped at us from Chihaya. Yukiho show casing that a none flashy side etc. so the episode remained as balanced as the first in showing the characters, but instead decided to help build up their personalities further from the basic idea we got at 1.

Going by all of that, I don't think the anime can be called trash like that. I'm seeing at least in these past two episodes, a lot of care and budget going in here to create something worthwhile. It might not be something intellectual based or plot driven, but just because the focus isn't on those things doesn't mean that the anime is dumb or that there isn't more to it from other areas.

Now I'm not going to defend every criticism made, since I do agree with things like the producer needing a personality and that the cast is too big (even if the time on each one of the idols is well managed thus far) but like I said before, I personally don't like stories centered around idols, and this show which has at it's center core is a story about how great (different) idols are managed to draw me in, then I think it must've done something right.

Idolm@ster might not be a ''deep'' show, but that doesn't mean it's worth less than other anime this season.

(On another note, acejem's comment (though it might not be what he meant) about his faith in A-1 being misplaced sort of reminded me of the criticism some had against SHAFT's Denpa because some thought it was a ''step down'' from Madoka. I'm not sure why is that even an issue since even if the subject matter might be about a more otaku centric story that it might be less impressive than AnoHana, since visually this show is just as good looking and visually interesting if not more than AnoHana. Sure the story doesn't have the same potential, but that doesn't mean it's less worthwhile in all other aspects)
I should say that now after seeing episode 3, I only thought episode 2 was trash. Episode 1 was good, and episode 3 was OKAY (Just another character I could care less for at the moment).

In a trope filled anime like this, if you don't like the trope you aren't going to like watching it. Fortunately there are like 13 girls of 13 separate tropes flying around here, so some of them are bound to stick unless you hate all the tropes. It just so happened that I didn't like the tropes of episode 2, and it also so happens that the plot wasn't engaging enough to make up for the unlikable character.

Do I consider the show overall trash? No, I really don't. I'll reserve that word for things that are actually trash like the latest Hidan no Aria. However, this anime has to prove itself to be more than just a guilty pleasure to me because right now that's all I'm getting from it.

Take Yukinho from this episode. Either you found her reactions to things cute and endearing, or you didn't. The people who didn't already found the episode to be "meh." For me personally I was able to enjoy it because they showed a whole production of a concert going on to some degree, so it earned some interest points. However the characters themselves are lacking.

If there is one thing I know about things like phobia of men especially, is that this is usually linked with not such pleasant pasts. There's a difference between being shy around the opposite gender, and then there's actually having a full blown phobia, as if she was a raped victim. This will ultimately stop me from liking her character because I can't get that disconnect from reality out of my head (Unless they further develop her to actually have a dark past like that).

Visuals are always subjective, but while the animation itself isn't bad by any means, I could care less for the K-ON! art style. It's not the most appealing to me by any means and I much prefer other styles. So the visual part of this isn't that great. As for the idol music, I'm not much into it in the first place, so unless it's truly great, I could care less about that as well.

What I will credit Idolmaster for though so far, compared to other predecessors in the "cute girls doing cute things" genre that is aboom lately, is that it avoided the whole false advertising shtick. It's actually sticking to the whole centralized idea that these girls are idols and they're going about their jobs. First episode was the introduction, and we got a producer. Episode 2 was them learning how to promote themselves better (Even if I didn't enjoy it so much). Episode 3 now was their first real event (Although small time).

That was something that drove me insane during K-ON!, was how relegated the idea of music was in the plot to something barely worth thinking about. If Idolm@ster doesn't give me two beach episodes in the same cour I think I'll be OK with excluding it from the junk bin that I threw that anime in.

All in all, episode 3 was fine. I'm content with holding it as my personal guilty pleasure for now. Being guilty pleasure doesn't mean it's bad by any means. Just if it wants to elevate itself past something rather generic, it has to offer more than it is doing currently.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:50   Link #332
Shadow5YA

How many episodes will the series get?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:55   Link #333
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

It'll get 25.
Old 2011-07-22, 14:56   Link #334
Midonin
Last Engage

A slight change of format, which can be freely adjusted as needed. It helps that both episodes share a common theme this week.

Midonin's The Two iDOLM@STERs Comparison Diary
Week Three

First Day on the Job - 765 Pro
Things don't live up to expectations as the girls are told that since they've never been on TV, their status as Idols is questionable. The Producer overcomes his fear of dogs to help Yukiho, who also has help from Haruka and Makoto, whom she looks up to. Men outside the studio are presented as generally helpful, in a friendly way to turn 765 Pro's mistakes into memories.

First Day on the Job - Mondenkind
Things don't live up to expectations as Imber refuses to start up. He even goes into a funk with a girl inside him, only for Haruka to sympathize with his fear of being hurt, causing him to awaken and rush onto the stage of the stars. Yukiho looks up to Haruka and Makoto for being more skilled than her, but seems to have a mix between adoration and a slight inferiority complex about it. People outside the organization are helpful, but in a way that seems like they're letting Mondenkind off the hook too easily for their mistakes.
Old 2011-07-22, 18:12   Link #335
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice Yukiho ep. Looks like Producer is doing a good job. Favorite part was Hibiki getting along with the animals.

Last edited by ars89; 2011-07-22 at 18:42.
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 18:26   Link #336
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Nice Yukiho ep. Looks like Produce is doing a good job. Favorite part was Hibiki getting along with the animals.
Spoiler for d'awww:
Old 2011-07-22, 19:36   Link #337
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Personally I enjoyed the third episode... though even I must admit that Yukiho's fear of men was pretty extreme, and she's my favorite character.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 19:39   Link #338
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
That producer-san is a total failure, he drove 12 (13 counting Ritsuko, who has done nothing production-wise) to the middle of nowhere, for supporting three on them that actually sung, while the other 9 (or 10) were fooling around WTF!? I wonder how they can even get money to pay the rent for their office
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 22:00   Link #339
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That producer-san is a total failure, he drove 12 (13 counting Ritsuko, who has done nothing production-wise) to the middle of nowhere, for supporting three on them that actually sung, while the other 9 (or 10) were fooling around WTF!? I wonder how they can even get money to pay the rent for their office
The commission was for the whole team to go, so I presume they were paid the full fees.

Besides, even though the main act was just the HaKoHo trio, the other idols were involved in the opening acts like Asuza playing MC for the "Guys Competition" while Hibiki/Miki played some sort of comedy opening act.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 22:26   Link #340
Shadow5YA

The Produce has already hinted at Ritsuko "returning" as an idol in either ep1 or 2. However, I don't expect that to happen until past the halfway mark when it shows her in the opening.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, idolmaster, musical, puchim@s