AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 22.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 44.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 20.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-24, 17:38   Link #161
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonkun View Post
Scenes with cicadas were funny-disturbing. Gotta hand it to Kyouto Animation for doing a parody (if that's what I think it is) on this cliche. You hear the sound of cicadas all the time in anime to signify summer. Note how Kyo-Ani does *not* use the *identical* sound clip of cicadas that every other anime series uses. And showing how the cicadas are hitting things, falling, and getting dismembered (yuck) by ants is a creative way to show that summer (vacation) has ended and school has resumed. Not at all Peanuts-like. (I docked half a point for this bit of creative yet dark humor.)
I have to ask... are you in an area with cicadas?

Being from an area with lots of cicadas (*sigh*, summer scenes in anime are like a trip back home), I can tell you that that's just life as usual with the little buggers, so I don't think they were meant to be disturbing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Silly rabbit... you should read *classic* Peanuts. It was full of dark and disturbing commentary (for the time anyway), cynicism, failure, depression, never-take-opportunity, cruelty
"Good old Charlie Brown!

How I hate him!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's called foreshadowing ... listen to what Kona says while Miyuki is singing. The voice actually does fit as we'll hopefully discover.
By this I assume you mean we see more of Miyuki's character as it's portrayed in the comics.

The prospect excites me tremendously. I'd have been OK with Miyuki as the "ball of moe" so long as she had a personality, but it never really seemed to be quite right for her, and that aspect of her and the ojousan side never seemed to mesh. What's missing, I think, is seeing what's underneath that links the two (maybe not directly connected, but just something to flesh out her character). If that's the case, I may raise my impressions of the character to the expectations I'd had before. Not the sort of character affection I'd had for Haruhi's Mikuru as I'd expected, but instead as I had for Kanon's Sayuri.

My liking for Sayuri shot up when it was observed how determined she could be about certain things. I keep coming across the phrase in the wikipedia character description that reads "On the rare occasion that she plays video games, her personality changes." This can only go to good places.
Old 2007-05-24, 17:54   Link #162
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Being from an area with lots of cicadas (*sigh*, summer scenes in anime are like a trip back home), I can tell you that that's just life as usual with the little buggers, so I don't think they were meant to be disturbing at all.
That's kind of the way I am... Cicadas still freak me out when I see one (which is why I'm glad they're camouflaged well), but it really just is "life as usual"... ants picking one apart isn't disturbing to me in the least. I wasn't aware that the scenes with the cicadas were a reference, but I thought they were nice transition scenes regardless. I think a good transition scene really helps set the mood.
Old 2007-05-24, 19:47   Link #163
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
By this I assume you mean we see more of Miyuki's character as it's portrayed in the comics.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!
Now that would be freaky.

Spoiler for Miyuki manga prediction:
Old 2007-05-24, 20:34   Link #164
JediNight
キズランダム

Manabi Straight had 2 great cicada gags as well, both in like Ep6 or so. Mei-chan comes to the window and says "Shut up!" and the cicada stops whirring lol... then later on see the cicada just fall off the side of the tree for no apparent reason.
Old 2007-05-24, 20:58   Link #165
Skane
Anime Snark

On the issue of note-taking... back when I first started my courses in Polytechnic, the concept of lecture-based lessons was relatively novel to me, and the idea of note-taking was alien to me as well, as I had grown so used to printed supplements from my years in Secondary School (aka spoon-feeding).

Also, by nature, I am very fond of elaborate writing and consistently wrote in excruciating detail (much like Tsukasa, if my interpretation of that scene is correct). So I was in a pinch when I had to suddenly jot down in point detail, what the lecturers were rambling about. It just went against all my "instincts".

In Secondary School, I averaged about 20-25 words per line (and per minute) on an A4-sized paper (with 1-inch side margins) in small font due to my lengthy writing(NOT tiny fonts, but smaller than average. Try writing 20 words on such an A4-sized paper to get an idea of the size of the font I wrote in), since I would kill trees if I wrote any bigger. Small fonts however, are not easy to write legibly at high-speed.

I also hated cursive writing, since I felt that it was a lazy way of writing, and prefer to write each letter by letter. Again, this was not conducive for speed-writing.

I had to adapt, and quickly. My first year course actually had lessons to help students like me adapt to the "radically" different style of teaching in Polytechnic (compared to our Secondary Schools)

One of the first things I had to do was to warm up to the idea of writing in short-form. After years of imprinting, I was basically told to screw the rules and learn to be a deviant writer.

We were taught some basic short-forms, but one of the problems of using them was that they were not your own short-forms, and as anybody will tell you, it is easier to remember (and use) what you created on your own.

Therefore, I started creating my own personal short-forms and man, let me tell you... my notes started to look like they were coded in Navajo or something.

The following are some of the more frequently used short-forms that I use, and still use when I take down notes while watching an anime episode for doing my write-ups.

Spoiler for tidiness:

Of course... there was the flip-side to this. It was a NIGHTMARE to share notes. Our notes were basically alien to each other, and it was not uncommon to ask one another on what the heck did we write. You basically had to stick to a few people only when sharing notes, unless you wanted to learn the "different languages" of ALL your classmates.

Heh.
Old 2007-05-24, 21:47   Link #166
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Manabi Straight had 2 great cicada gags as well, both in like Ep6 or so. Mei-chan comes to the window and says "Shut up!" and the cicada stops whirring lol... then later on see the cicada just fall off the side of the tree for no apparent reason.
Ahn, you read my mind. I was thinking about the cicada scenes in Manabi Straight as well (loved when the cicada actually stopped when Mei yelled at it).
Old 2007-05-24, 22:04   Link #167
robertness

This episode didn't work as well for me as 5 and 6. I think one of the problems may have been the expectations I had when I started viewing it. I think I'll avoid reading future episode discussions prior to watching the episode.

I was not especially wowed by Konata's transformation to ojousama mode. Maybe I'll be more accepting of it if future episodes demonstrate that Konata has a knack for channeling characters from her favorite anime du jour.

I thought the cicada sequences made for nice transitions. I felt there was a definite link between the deceased cicada and poor Keroro Gunso.

I have to admit to having the same difficulty as Tsukasa in remembering my cell phone number. Constantly fiddling with the dumb thing to find the number. (Was really embarrassing at a job interview yesterday.)

The first few seconds of Lucky Channel were a refreshing change from prior episodes.
Old 2007-05-25, 03:19   Link #168
JediNight
キズランダム

My essay-writing is probably like Tsukasa. For essay finals and such, everyone else seems to get done in like 1/2-3/4 the time of me. I always get finished, but I seem to pace myself out to finish just before the time is up, and far more wordy than I probably needed to get full credit.
Old 2007-05-25, 09:22   Link #169
pirs
Yuki.N is love~

Tsukasa and Kona <3
Old 2007-05-27, 06:06   Link #170
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Watched the episode yesterday.Laughed on a few occasions. Though maybe this episode is not as good as the previous one it is still very much enjoyable.
Speaking about the phones. I personally use let me be with you theme from chobits on my Nokia 7250. I'd have changed it for smth else if not for IR port. Apparently it stopped functioning and i can no longer connect it to pc.
Old 2007-05-29, 00:01   Link #171
Suzumiya Haruhi
Destroying the balance

... Did I just see a balant parody of a Shana figurine in this episode? <:3

DO WANT ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG!
Old 2009-01-29, 12:52   Link #172
Welkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It probably is, 'cause i don't see any other reason as to why they'd have Canon in D as Tsukasa ringtone.
Why does it have to be? If you watch korean dramas you would notice alot of the main heroines has Pachebal Cannon as their cellphone ringtone(My Girl for ex. Theres some other but I've forgotten, Goong prehaps?). I figure it must be a popular ringtone amongst girls in Asia.

It's just a girly ringtone, and since Tsukasa is the queen of girly girls it shouldn't be surprising to hear cannon as her ringtone, and it doesn't have to be a reference to Kanon.
Closed Thread