AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

Old 2011-09-07, 09:42   Link #301
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
[The story] takes place during a time when mankind returns [to Earth] from the heavens (Tenjou). In the only inhabitable land on the planet, mankind begins to recreate history in the hopes of returning to Tenjou once again.
The independent territory of the the Far East, the Musashi, is filled with students which causes conflict.

The countries in this story are The Far East (Japan), P.A.Oda, Hexagone Francaise (France), M.H.R.R (The Holy Roman Empire), K.P.A.Italia, Tres Espana (Spain), Soviet Russia, and The Qing Dynasty (China). Each country wants the Daizai Busou (lit. Gravely Sinful Weapon, guessing it's equivalent to a nuke or something). The students of the Musashi set out to confront each country.
Of course.
Old 2011-09-07, 10:04   Link #302
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Of course.
History recreates mankind ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 10:20   Link #303
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Of course.
HUH!?
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 12:48   Link #304
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

So robbing him of any personality and replacing it with a generic harem lead which everyone is sick to death of... as well as removing any chance for character growth is meant to give him... more appeal? Let's hope Sunrise fired whatever genius who came up with that. Man they should've done the same with Luke for Tales of the Abyss... would've sold twice as much without assholish Luke.
You're forgetting that Japan seems to actually LIKE that type of character. For North America though I don't even know what the appeal was supposed to be. More action maybe? For Korea it was simply having the series animated on a level that could be considered decent since Korean animation is still lagging behind Japan unfortunately. Anyway those would be my guesses, but since I'm not a board member at Sunrise I'm not sure of the actual reasoning. To be blunt they still don't really seem to get what westerners like in terms of anime anymore (I'd throw the same charge at almost any studio in Japan by the way game or anime) but they're slowly rediscovering over time it would seem with shows like Tiger and Bunny and Gundam UC.

Anyway as for Luke....not the best example of character development in my eyes having played the game. It's sort of like he swings from one side of the pendulum in the first act (total whiny douche) to the other side at the beginning of the second (meek self deprecating loser) only to finally settle down near the end of the second and beginning of the third into something inbetween that's not quite as extreme, making for a character that stuck me as bipolar in the long run. To this day I've never seen another character developed like that and I'm kind of thankful since I found him annoying in both incarnations he had before the final stretch of the game.

And I think Tales of The Abyss would have sold as much regardless btw.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 16:57   Link #305
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
HUH!?
Isn't the setting supposed to be centered around European 30 years war? Why the hell is the Soviet Union slapped on there? Communism waset even conceived at the time. I see this as just another display of Japanese fascination with Soviets.
Old 2011-09-07, 17:29   Link #306
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Yeah, at that time in history the Russian state was known as The Tsardom of Russia, but the summary I translated definitely said Soviet Russia...
Old 2011-09-07, 17:52   Link #307
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Yeah, at that time in history the Russian state was known as The Tsardom of Russia, but the summary I translated definitely said Soviet Russia...
Is there a Nicholas II stand in in this show by any chance?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 18:07   Link #308
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I don't think so.
Old 2011-09-07, 21:43   Link #309
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

This anime = Infinite Stratos + Break Blade + some steroids(optional ingredient)

At least how it looks like in trailer. So far no voice acting sample included.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 22:16   Link #310
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/境界線上のホライゾン

Well crap, that's a lot of reading to do.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 22:32   Link #311
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

To make it worse, everything is in Japanese.
Old 2011-09-07, 22:35   Link #312
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
So far no voice acting sample included.
you can hear Fukujun's voices as Toori Aoi in PV#1 long and PV#2 - Toori Version
and Minorin's voices as Horizon in PV #1 long and PV#2 - Horizon Version...

the other casts? well there are a lot of noticeable names in the cast (eg: Ami Koshimizu, Miyuki Sawashiro, Marina Inoue, etc2) so I won't worry about it too much...
Old 2011-09-07, 22:42   Link #313
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Baka-tsuki's not willing to translate the novels as of this moment.
With the skills I have, we're going to encounter several "historical figures". There's people from the time of Oda Nobunaga, Pope Innocentius X, King Philip II of Spain, King Rudolf II of the Holy Roman Empire, Queen Elizabeth I of England, King Louis XIV of France, etc., etc.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 22:51   Link #314
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Seeing the books' size, I think I can understand the reason....

I'm trying to find about the setting as much as I can, since obviously they won't be able to cramp all of those into the anime, and I don't really want to miss them.
Old 2011-09-08, 05:45   Link #315
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Do you add signature and avatar like you did in some anime like Haganai and Working'!! please ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 13:56   Link #316
4Tran

Quote:
I'm not too worried about the director being the same as Dragonauts... my fav anime of the last 8 years in Bacanno! didn't exactly have a steller staff working on it.. but they had great source material and adapted it in an intriguing manner by doing 3 plotlines/4 novels @ once... and now look @ them.
Design-wise, Bacanno looks a heckuva lot better than Horizon. Besides, I have faith that the production staff can pull through!

Quote:
A lot went wrong, not only did Kurokami fail as an adaption, more importantly it failed as a stand alone show itself. It's always hard to make an adaption of an ongoing manga but they made a poor fist of this.
I'm more curious as to why all of that went wrong, executive meddling or something. It's a huge misstep from Kobayashi Tsuneo - Emma was a work of love with incredible attention to detail (something that Ikoku can learn from!), and Kurokami wasn't even in the same ballpark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
With the skills I have, we're going to encounter several "historical figures". There's people from the time of Oda Nobunaga, Pope Innocentius X, King Philip II of Spain, King Rudolf II of the Holy Roman Empire, Queen Elizabeth I of England, King Louis XIV of France, etc., etc.
Haha. This keeps getting better and better! Now we just need a moustache-twirling Richeleu!
Old 2011-09-09, 06:09   Link #317
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

too bad didn't find clearer version yet
that's an awesome pose right there toori!
Aoi Toori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 18:34   Link #318
Allen
メインヒロイン

More cast info from the official site:

Honda Masanobu: Yuuji Takada
Konishi: Nobuyuki Kobushi
Blue Thunder's shopkeeper: Miho Yamada
Matsudaira Motonobu: Sho Hayami
Honda Tadakatsu: Naomi Kusumi
Kazuno: Ryoko Shintani
Galileo: Tsuyoshi Koyama
Hassan: Daisuke Ono = I think this wasn't announced yet.

Now we have the cast of almost all important characters for this first season. I'm wondering why only Sakakibara was left out... Anyway, I really want to hear OnoD's characters now. It'll be very different from the image I have of him
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 20:35   Link #319
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

so where is persona-kun?
Old 2011-09-10, 01:12   Link #320
darkalpha

As much as I'm looking forward to this series, I can't help but feel puzzled by Sunrise's decision to adapt Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon into anime. The novels are still on-going, and I'm getting an impression that there's a lot more volumes on the way. Eventually Sunrise's going to be forced to go for either an anime-only ending (which usually doesn't end well), or end the series on a neutral tone and wait for more source material to come out (like what happened to the original HxH anime).

If Sunrise was going to adapt Minoru Kawakami's work into anime, why didn't it go for Owari no Chronicle? It's a (very distant) prologue to this series as the author created a large and complex universe (more about the series in this thread http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=90619 ), and has some elements that would make it easier for adaption to anime as opposed to the Horiozn:

- has significantly smaller main and supporting cast; I fear that the Horizon anime might not fare well in developing its large and diverse cast, like what happened in Angel Beats! anime.

- takes place in more contemporary setting (early 21st century), while Horizon takes place in very distant future and very few sci-fi anime taking place in distant future has fared well, if memory serves me correctly.

- and most importantly, it's FINISHED series. Much easier time planning out the story progression if you already know how it ends.
darkalpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, science fiction, sunrise