AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 40 40.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 40.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.01%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-01, 21:09   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-11-02, 11:45   Link #2
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quite a light hearted episode and lots of comedic moments from all the characters. Mai and Sayuri finally gets their proper introduction in this episode, and Shiori gets a bit of screentime to develop her character as well. But this episode was really about Makoto underneath. Lots of interacton of Makoto with everyone else and again Kyoani manages to put it plenty of foreshadowing with seemingly non-issue events. We also get to see a lot more of Yuuichi's personality and the switching between the playful/bastard Yuuichi and caring Yuuichi was specially well done.

Nothing to complain, still holding up very well. Great job Kyoani.
Old 2006-11-02, 12:09   Link #3
eggplant
Eggplant

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Old 2006-11-02, 14:54   Link #4
Orrin
Sumika Kagami Fanboy

Spoiler for episode 5:
Old 2006-11-02, 15:37   Link #5
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Episode 5 screenshots courtesy of Random Curiosity. Beware of spoilers by the way.
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-11-02, 16:09   Link #6
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I have a faint memory of a bath scene with Makoto in the game... it might be faulty...
and yes, the Nagato vibe is strong with Mai right now.
Kyuichi jumping out of the chair in the breakfest as he finally realizes Ayu being there... well done. He quickly switches back to normal mode too...

The part about Mai's lover... I recall that. And behold! The blanket's purpose has been unveiled. It's good that Sayuri does sound like more together than Misuzu. All I could say is that Kyuichi's quite the scheming individual there. Right after that, he keeps busy and talks to Shiori. He's got the onii-chan vibe and he uses it to his full advantage!

And Ero-hon! This approach is rather interesting. Unlike Toei, he sent her to buying the books and have her screaming about it later on. Hahaha. One can only imagine what happened in the bookstore. Thus starts the love story between a girl and Nikuman. And o my... Makoto's showing off her true colors so very quickly.

The remixed version of Makoto's theme plays. This is rather interesting. Makoto getting rather freaked out is just funny. (I can't wait for the Gyuudon though).

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-11-02, 16:53   Link #7
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-02, 17:11   Link #8
dxgarten

Episode 05 screencaps and summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-02, 17:27   Link #9
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I have a faint memory of a bath scene with Makoto in the game... it might be faulty...
Spoiler for Haven't played the game, but...:
Anyways, I quite enjoyed this episode. Mai talks even less than Yuki :)
Old 2006-11-02, 18:12   Link #10
Mentar
Banned

Awesome ep. There isn't the extra "awesome" twist which I need to pull the 10, but it's certainly a 9+.

Sooooo funny ^_^
Old 2006-11-02, 18:22   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yuki Nagato will do these expository encyclopediac bursts but Mai simply compresses more nuance of emotion into a grunt or a short phrase than most people do chattering all day. Characters like Sakaki (AzuDa) are homages to her type (although Motoko (LH)) is in the family here, she's far more talkative).

I like all the archetypes exemplified by the characters in Kanon , but Mai is just especially endearing (particularly when I think of this solemn girl in her special headdress ) Some echoes of the headdress Setsuna (Negima) wears at the festival I suppose
Old 2006-11-02, 18:29   Link #12
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hahaha!?
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-02, 19:01   Link #13
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
hahaha!?
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Since everybody else is putting these into spoilers...:
Old 2006-11-02, 19:04   Link #14
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
So, I just finished watching the episode. I was a little disappointed with the end in that it didn't quite show what I wanted to see. Prelude totally seemed like it was giving an essential plot point, but it was never discussed or went back to again. Yuuichi was just too busy trying to get Mai to talk, which I think is fine. But I was just anticipating something more going on between the two. It just never occured.

As a Kanon newbie, so far I think after watching all five episodes, it's laid out a great sum of unanswered questions. The series so far is amusing, yes, and I think it's nicely drawn. But it still feels like that they're still setting up the characters and getting them to introduce and talk amongst one another. In short, it doesn't sound like there's an established conflict or struggle set up yet, and I'm deathly eager to see what it may be.
Old 2006-11-02, 19:25   Link #15
New/Old
Old to the New

Heh heh. An enjoyable one for me.

Mai and Makoto steal this episode for me though. Their scenes were heartwarming to see again, along with Shiori's scene. Heh heh.
Old 2006-11-02, 20:03   Link #16
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Maybe I'm being soft, but it's a ten for me. There was so much both on and beneath the surface. As with SHnY, the director is creating a lot of sub-surface tension that I expect will break out in very effective bursts as the show goes on. But I love the feeling of suppression of growing feelings -- feelings in me, I mean, not in the characters. This show may have the most moe per minute ever. And the Kyon-ized version of Yuuichi is working for me. Great voice-acting all 'round.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-11-02, 20:19   Link #17
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Yeah as everyone has said a really good episode. Also quite fun to match up which CGs were used too.

My favorite part was the switch back between Makoto and Yuuichi in the bathtub scene it was really well done XD

Also interesesting how the cast gets different outfits once in a while ^-^.
Old 2006-11-02, 20:24   Link #18
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yuki Nagato will do these expository encyclopediac bursts but Mai simply compresses more nuance of emotion into a grunt or a short phrase than most people do chattering all day.
Yes, I know. People who talk less tend to put more meaning into each of their words. Mai can be contrasted to Yuuichi who talks alot but without much meaning.

In any case, I love the use of music in Kanon so far, especially the part where the music simply stops in this episode. Also, I'm loving how much of Yuuichi's jokes are falling flat to Mai. I also like how even Yuuichi is slow in the mornings sometimes. It's also nice how Yuuichi's kind side is starting to come through, in his own unique way. At the same time, I couldn't keep a straight face during the "ero-hon" talk(part 1 and part 2).

The Shiori section was somewhat wierd to me, but the snow was animated wonderfully as usual.
Old 2006-11-02, 20:34   Link #19
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

As I expected, Yuuichi's daily life now consists of nothing but meeting with girls. He's at least 500% more efficient than the game Yuuichi at raising flags.

Spoiler:

Well, no real complaints here, looking forward to next week.
Old 2006-11-02, 21:18   Link #20
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I think some of my favorite moments in this were Yuuichi putting Makoto to bed.... the 30 seconds it took for Yuuichi to realize it was Ayu (after he asked about everyone else) at breakfast..... (with Ayu being very calm about the whole thing.. WHY ARE YOU HERE? "breakfest" ) ...

and of course all the moments with Mai....

Sayuri seems more livily in KyoAni's version to me for some reason.

Poor Makoto.
Closed Thread