AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-11-21, 12:36   Link #1
Shadowydreamer

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowydreamer Send a message via AIM to Shadowydreamer Send a message via MSN to Shadowydreamer Send a message via Yahoo to Shadowydreamer
Hot to get a costume made!

(This was brought up in the post a picture thread, thought I'd be a good newbie and start a new thread)

I got two of my costumes done by finding a costumer with a google search and looking through stuff on their websites, the third and thereafter I made myself.

But, some ideas on finding costumers are to look through ebay and find someone's costume you like and contact them and commission them. You can look up your local anime con and look through their forums and ask in their Cosplay forum. If they don't have a Cosplay forum, you can just email whomever their contact point is and ask if they know of any costumers in the area.

Or if you're feeling like learning how to do costumes yourself, you can take, often free or dirt cheap, "understanding patterns" lessons from your local sewing/material store (Fabricana, Fabricland, etc) or if you're feeling a bit more ambitious, a local adult education (which you don't actually have to be an adult for) course in sewing is generally only a few sessions long and good teaching. *I* learnt how to sew costumes via a sewing class in high school. Any of the routes, you can certainly learn how to make a cloak, or a set of robes at the base. Things only really start getting tricky when you're putting pants or shirts together, and even then, if you choose one of the "easy" patterns (They're marked in the pattern books! Often in their own section) you should still be okay. And if you're lost, most fabric stores are happy to help you learn, choose material and all that.

Start simple, don't be afraid to experiment, and most importantly - It won't be a work of art the first time, but by the time you get to your third costume, you'll be awed with your ability.

-Shady.
(White Mage Costume, Skuld Costume, Princess Costume, and a bunch of RenFaire dresses to her credit ^_^ )
Shadowydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 16:37   Link #2
Morphalexis
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to Morphalexis Send a message via MSN to Morphalexis
Hahahh I believe I was the one that brought that up.. Thanks for the info! I seriously wish I could learn how to sew myself, unfortunately with school and work i barely have enough free time to run in circles, play video games, watch anime, sell kidneys.....er beans?..etc, etc.. But yea, I'll have to check around here to see if someone would be skilled enough to do this: (LOL)

or KOS-MOS from XenoSaga
Morphalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 16:55   Link #3
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

A very close friend of mine is a student of fashion design. She's in her fourth year, and really quite amazing. I know her work load is a bit overwhelming at the moment, but I think she could pull that outfit together for you once things have settled down for her. You'd need to pay her, of course.

If you're serious about having this done, let me know.
Tea Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 02:57   Link #4
Kawaii_Sennin
She's a man, baby!!!

AHHH!!! If your friend could pull that off I would so hire her. That costume looks like it could take months to make.
Kawaii_Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 13:51   Link #5
Morphalexis
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to Morphalexis Send a message via MSN to Morphalexis
Hot damn! yesh yesh! I'm seriously..uh serious! I would love that outfit.. what area is she from? (I'm from New Jersey) How much would she charge? Would this be alot easier if we IM each other?!!? lol.. *begins to spin in circles and scream like a little girl*
Morphalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 01:34   Link #6
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

We're in Toronto (Canada) so the distance might prove to be an obstacle. I'm planning to see her tomorrow and I'll try to remember to mention this to her (and ask her what it might cost).

I'm really enjoying your spinning and screaming but please don't get too excited - she may say she's just too busy to take something like this on.

I'll PM you when once I've talked to her to let you know if there's a possibility. In the meantime try not to vomit on the carpet, hm? - we just had it cleaned
Tea Pad is offline   Reply With Quote