AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-23, 17:14   Link #261
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

*necrolyze the thread.

just finish watching the end. What a great series, can't believed it took me this long to get around to it. Did end up getting a great form rightstuf all 7 vols for $28.

Agree with most of the opinion here, best part was the flashback. Brandon, like the guy but he is absolute idiot for passing up Maria.

Harry, what can you say. It is easy to hate him because he is the big bad guy but as evil as he was, there were good parts to him as well. One of the better villian in anime history.

And it is not just Harry either, most of the characters were more then just 2D characters. There was a real depth to all of them Bob, Lee, Bear, Bunji.

The ending was a true master piece, almost bought tears to my eyes.
Old 2007-06-29, 19:37   Link #262
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I too wasn’t happy about Brandon leaving Maria and Big Daddy ending up with her . I actually felt happy when Harry took out Big Daddy . This series has successfully combined Scar face with Universal Soldier . One of the reasons why GunGrave features in my top 3 fave anime of all time
Old 2007-09-23, 12:25   Link #263
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

at start i thought it had a bit too much man friendliness, like the holding hands while fishing or lighting a cigaret with the cigarette in your mouth (i just watched black lagoon, that cigarette thing is ruined for me now, thank you gaygrave)

I'm just kidding.

I was really looking forward seeing brandon killing the first necro-rised people with his bigger gun in the port hangar, but then there was a time skip. too bad for that.
But it fits the show, it had decent action but the story was more important.

Too bad dr tokiaki didn't leave a manual on how to replace the blood, but it's better for the dead man having a heroic death instead of having a strange immortal love relationship with the daughter of your exgirlfriend.

The betrayal parts of randy and brandon everybody seemed to believe harry, guess that's what made him so cunning. But still i had some fairly frustrating moments wanting to shout. Dudes brandon isn't the traitor, open up your mouth and tell em brandon
Old 2007-09-24, 20:45   Link #264
king12354

Yeah, this was a great series. Great story and I love the characters and how their friendship got them very far. Brandon Heat is one of my favorite characters of all time.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 10:25   Link #265
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
this anime was so sad
i really like Brandon Heat he's so loyal

about the ending i cried until my eyes can't open
Old 2007-11-02, 09:14   Link #266
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

about the overdose game i watched that video stuff and mika is seventeen now? did brandon heat get out of the last fight alive?

any romantic stuff going on between them or maybe from mika to brandon?
Old 2008-01-14, 18:50   Link #267
Tsukasa27

Wow, this is a brilliant anime....Goes into my list of classics, that's for sure.

There is no minor point in this anime which says a lot...the animation is sometimes average but the rest is good and that would be an understatement for the characters. Brandon, Harry and the major players of the syndicate are so well developed that you can't help but have a weird feeling by the end of the series as you are reminisced about them. I especially liked the clash between the ideology involving corruption and overpowering and humanity, translating into the opposition between Harry and Brandon.
Tsukasa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 19:48   Link #268
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I just wish Big Daddy wasn't a 'Daddy'.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 12:48   Link #269
Lawfer

I had a question about the video games, I just finished watching the anime and I was wondering if Gungrave and Gungrave: Overdose have a different story from that of the anime.
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 21:25   Link #270
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
I had a question about the video games, I just finished watching the anime and I was wondering if Gungrave and Gungrave: Overdose have a different story from that of the anime.
some parts are the same like Harry's betrayal, Maria & Big Daddy, and fighting the same enemies but the ending is totally unlike the anime. The last several levels of the game, the settings go sci-fi outta nowhere. The final boss fights is Big Daddy in superior form and Harry (I think). thats pretty much what i can remember.
Oh and overdose just plain sux. Brandon gets revived () and goes on an adventure with Mika to fight new enemies which is some Italian mafia.
Old 2008-11-09, 02:34   Link #271
Azara

finally ended up watching this. Very good series. Makes me sad.
Azara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 08:53   Link #272
MVP

Send a message via AIM to MVP Send a message via MSN to MVP Send a message via Yahoo to MVP
Just finished watching the series and it was really good.
Episodes 2-16 were really good, and then I think ep 22-26, whenever he starts fighting bear, it gets good again. I wanted Brandon to also just say that he never betrayed anyone sometimes but he wouldn't say anything..lol Story was really good. In the ending though, I am 100% confident they both died, and the only reason the cat see's Bunji is because he's dead and took care of her and yeah..shouldn't need to explain myself but he is dead! Same with Harry and Brandon. I wonder if it is actually Mika who says "Welcome Home" at the end or is it Sheri or possibly Maria? Great ending though..almost made me come to tears. The last 2 episodes are amazing. I wish I could see a visual of what Mika and the soldiers did though, to see Brandon and Harry...
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 10:23   Link #273
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Brandon Heat, He's just plain awesome, the only stupid thing he did was give up on Maria, I mean WTF YOU IDIOT? So what if you're an assassin now? Leaving her to Big Daddy? The Mafia boss? HE SINNED MORE THAN YOU DID! Yet he gave Maria to him! God damn it I was so pissed! My favourite character was obviously Harry. I loved it when he killed Big Daddy and Maria.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 10:27   Link #274
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleri View Post
Brandon Heat, He's just plain awesome, the only stupid thing he did was give up on Maria, I mean WTF YOU IDIOT? So what if you're an assassin now? Leaving her to Big Daddy? The Mafia boss? HE SINNED MORE THAN YOU DID! Yet he gave Maria to him!
Brandon held more loyalty to the Syndicate at that time, moreover he believed that Maria would be the happiest with Big Daddy. In the end, he chose to give his loyalty to Harry, with the tragic consequences we have seen from episode 13-14 and onward.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 08:51   Link #275
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I was also a bit confused when Brandon gave up Maria. I really enjoyed the show up until then. I felt the necrolyze and superior stuff ruined it a bit. The show was awesome prior to the introduction of those things.

I enjoyed the ending though, especially how each character names the person of their 'allegiance' during the credits. Bunji obviously says 'Aniki'. It's a shame the way Bunji dealt with the shock / frustration though... I guess he was really torn between two sides.
Old 2009-07-28, 08:33   Link #276
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Brandon held more loyalty to the Syndicate at that time, moreover he believed that Maria would be the happiest with Big Daddy. In the end, he chose to give his loyalty to Harry, with the tragic consequences we have seen from episode 13-14 and onward.
That's why he pissed me off that time, she would have been better off with Brandon and Maria never really got over Brandon...even when she was pregnant I believe she told him first to try and hurt him. In the end Harry got everything he wanted without any sacrifices(except his best friend) and even till the end he never lost his best friend because Brandon remained loyal to him, he reminded me so much of Michael Corleone.... also I have to say...this anime is so underrated!!!

Last edited by Zwei; 2009-07-28 at 08:47.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 04:04   Link #277
ether9

I liked the series for most part but brandon's character kind of iffed me. Brandon does things kind of half assed and always seems to be satisfied with getting the short end of the stick. The monster that Harry became can be largely attributed to Brandon.

I know that Harry had big ambitions already which I think probably stemmed from his poor roots and his inability to protect his friends due to his lack of power so he wanted to be at the top so that wouldn't happen again. But with Brandon going about being so "loyal" to the syndicate and even went on to attempt to kill his best friend (although he didn't go through with it in the end, he took up the task and had the intent to do so). This is where Harry went crazy, his best friend comes to kill him after all they went through together, always supporting each other and what how important they were suppose to be to each other, in his mind Brandon chose the syndicate over his best friend. Brandon is the last person in the world that is important to Harry and to be betrayed by that person probably knocked out any humanity he had.

Brandon's giving up Maria probably played a large role into why Harry believed that Brandon had truly abandoned their friendship. I mean Harry gave enough hints to Brandon for him to know that he was try and off Big Daddy but what Brandon do? He gave the woman he loved to that person. So what was Harry to think? Brandon is going to give his beloved to another man and then them up with his best friend to kill that same man? Yea, probably didn't make much sense in Harry's head either.
And yeah, Brandon giving up Maria is just retarded in general. While Brandon is kickass action wise, his character is stupid and not really admirable. He has no dreams, aspirations, and goals for himself and instead is satisfied being the sacrifice and suffering for other people. While being selfless on occasion is admirable, being a selfless saint makes them inhuman and therefore unrelatable, unrealistic if you will.

Humans are selfish by nature and I don't recall Brandon ever doing anything selfish, always trying to be the selfless saint instead which I think lead to the breakdown of everything in his life: he lost his woman, turned his best friend into a monster, that monster ends up killing him and then the woman he loves as well (which he supposedly gave up to protect in the first place), gets revived as a mummy and goes off to kill his monster of a best friend and both ends up dying. Instead of protecting, his selflessness ended up destroying everything he held dear instead. Brandon is a tool, a killer kickass tool abut a tool nonetheless.
ether9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, crime, drama, science fiction