AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2012-03-18, 13:50   Link #1741
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I am less hopeful for a third final season anime adaptation ... the final volume has been out a few months now and not a flicker from Japan. The industry has developed a nasty habit of racing for the "new next thing" rather than "more of what the fans already show they like".
True, although you never know. I mean there was quite the gap between the old Inuyasha series and the new season that finished it off (about 5 years).

Of course I don't believe S&W was anywhere as popular as Inuyasha.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 14:04   Link #1742
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I am less hopeful for a third final season anime adaptation ... the final volume has been out a few months now and not a flicker from Japan. The industry has developed a nasty habit of racing for the "new next thing" rather than "more of what the fans already show they like".
Well, for whatever reason, the market seems to have either conditioned the industry to act that way, or the industry conditioned the market to purchase in that way. There's a huge amount of "sales rot" for anime; sequels habitually sell 30%-40% less than their predecessor, and the discrepancy increases as time passes. While the first season sold around 9,000 copies/volume (over 6 volumes, so 50,000+ discs), the sequel averaged around 5,000 copies/volume (over 4 volumes, so ~20,000 discs), and that after only 18 months. Now that it's been 2 1/2 years, and the novels have ended, they probably figure the anime audience is largely gone, and they may not be wrong. Recent experiments with bringing franchises back for a last hurrah (Shana, Zero no Tsukaima) have shown similar "sales rot".

I suppose part of this may be because, in Japan, the anime serves to advertise the novels, but once people get hooked on the franchise, they dig into the novels and engage in the story that way. Unless an anime adaptation finds some way of adding significant value to the experience (either through creative direction, excellent production values, or some other way of distinguishing itself), there may not be a huge draw to buying the anime when you've already bought and read the novels. It's different for people in the rest of the world who don't have easy access to the novels (at least not that far ahead), because the anime remains the primary (and sometimes only) point of entry.

Anyway, am in the process of finishing a re-read of all the English novels released so far, and am eagerly anticipating Novel 6. June can't come soon enough...
Old 2012-03-24, 04:30   Link #1743
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I finally bought the licensed english version Since I bought vol 3-5, I was wondering whether I missed vol 6 in my bookstore but I guess it's not even out yet

Also, why is it that the cover for volume 4 and 5 is someone cosplaying as Holo instead of illustration?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 04:50   Link #1744
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I finally bought the licensed english version Since I bought vol 3-5, I was wondering whether I missed vol 6 in my bookstore but I guess it's not even out yet

Also, why is it that the cover for volume 4 and 5 is someone cosplaying as Holo instead of illustration?

Volume 6 won't be out until June, so you didn't miss anything.

Also, the Holo cosplay is only supposed to be on the dust jackets. The actual Holo should be on the front of the real covers that are underneath that.
Old 2012-03-24, 04:54   Link #1745
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I didn't know that since I haven't opened the plastic cover yet I thought there's some problem with the publisher or something that they wouldn't put the original illustration for the covers

Oh well three volumes here we go~

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 05:16   Link #1746
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

To be fair, the older volume one covers got stuck with the cosplayer. But after numerous complaints, Yen finally wised up and reprinted it with the Holo everyone wanted. xD
Old 2012-03-24, 09:18   Link #1747
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I didn't know that since I haven't opened the plastic cover yet I thought there's some problem with the publisher or something that they wouldn't put the original illustration for the covers

Oh well three volumes here we go~
The reason for the cosplay covers is that book stores do not like manga style covers on anything other than manga. They believe, rightly or wrongly, that manga style covers for non-manga books don't sell well. Since Yen Press is trying to get its books in bookstores and they're a small publisher with little clout, they pretty much have to do what bookstores want. Fans overwhelmingly wanted the original covers though. After some trial and error, Yen Press came up with the solution of providing the cosplay dust jackets with the original artwork on the actual book. I think Yen Press should be lauded for coming up with a solution that pleases nearly everyone. (I say "nearly everyone" because Yen Press' bosses at Hatchet Publishing probably don't like the extra costs involved with making the 2 covers.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 11:29   Link #1748
BLAM
Loner

So, after finishing both seasons of the anime I was left with an empty feeling that only a wonderful anime like S&W Can leave, so I came here and read every page of this thread to try and see what I'm missing out.

Now I can only pray that Yen Press will translate and release all 17 volumes and I have bought the five released so far. What do you think the chances of that are?

Also, maybe I missed it but can anyone help summarise what happens between the final episode of the anime (Volume 5) and volume 17 when they are
Spoiler:
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:50   Link #1749
jte742

I hope so too - I really want to see how the story goes from here as well. They've gone on record as saying that they plan to do all of them, but you never know for sure.

IMHO none of the "cosplay covers" are quite as bad as the first. I almost like the volume 5 one (though of course it's not nearly as nice as the original illustration). One thing that bothers me is, why do they not show her face? On the first four it doesn't look odd, either because the pose is reasonably natural or it is cropped off, but on the fifth she is covering her eyes with her hands, which is quite strange.

Finally, while I still hope for a third season, I'd be happy if they just did an OVA for the very end of the story.
Spoiler for :
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 08:20   Link #1750
BLAM
Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte742 View Post
Finally, while I still hope for a third season, I'd be happy if they just did an OVA for the very end of the story.
Spoiler for :
In my opinion they should do an OVA on the 17th volume, especially since it's such a nice conclusion to the story.

Spoiler:
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:24   Link #1751
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAM View Post
Now I can only pray that Yen Press will translate and release all 17 volumes and I have bought the five released so far. What do you think the chances of that are?
I have no idea what the sales figures look like, but they couldn't be so bad that Yen Press would decide to discontinue the series could they?

But if they don't finish it there are people who will, so you can rest assured.
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 11:30   Link #1752
kitsunisan

I've been wondering about something in the first novel. This may have been mentioned in the thread before, but I didn't see it in what I've read in the thread so far.
Spoiler for Did I read this right?:
kitsunisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:09   Link #1753
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunisan View Post
I've been wondering about something in the first novel.
A friend of mine just confirmed that the original Japanese text used past tense here, so unfortunately it looks like it was just an odd choice of translation.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 20:52   Link #1754
kitsunisan

Too bad, I would have actually liked it if it were that way. Thanks for looking into it though.
kitsunisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 10:09   Link #1755
LKK

Yen Press confirmed via Twitter that they have the license for novels 7-9. [Source] Furthermore, they said that they're speeding up the release schedule to 3 books a year as opposed to 2 books a year. [Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 11:01   Link #1756
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Yen Press confirmed via Twitter that they have the license for novels 7-9. [Source] Furthermore, they said that they're speeding up the release schedule to 3 books a year as opposed to 2 books a year. [Source]

I have been awake a total of five minutes and this is the best news I've heard all day.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:22   Link #1757
jte742

Thank you for that news, that made my day so much better!
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 12:50   Link #1758
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
I think my eyes just fell out of my head from pure shock.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 13:40   Link #1759
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'll go best news all week. After the failure of several other companies to complete series that were completely published in Japan (ARIA, Moon Phase, etc) I tend to start getting nervous any more as the buzz for a series fades.
Old 2012-04-10, 13:49   Link #1760
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'll just join the chorus to say that I too am thrilled with the news. I hope that, despite the accelerated schedule, they're able to continue having Paul Starr do all the translation, and have the same standard for editing. And of course, here's to hoping as well that the franchise will continue do well enough to ensure continued licensing all the way to the end. The fact it continues to appear on the bestseller lists every release is a good sign!

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen