AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-02-25, 14:57   Link #21
-Nyu-
Yozora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
So does anyone know how long this movie is going to be? An hour? 1.5?
There is no info on the official site yet. I'd guess 1.5 - 2 hours.
-Nyu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 15:48   Link #22
FireChick

It actually is a repeat.

Spoiler for Fuko:
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 16:31   Link #23
Maritime
Oceanic

How on Earth did Toei manage to get their hands on this project? I only discovered Key and their excellent works about a month ago but after watching Kyoto's Air and Kanon '06 and comparing them to Toei's Air Movie and Kanon '02 there's no doubt in my mind as to which company is more faithful to the original Key material. Don't get me wrong, Toei have done some really great work over the years but I personally feel that they're just not good enough to tell the sort of stories that Key makes.

I'd really like to be wrong on this, but I just can't see it.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 22:26   Link #24
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
It actually is a repeat.

Spoiler for Fuko:
Although Key veterans can easily point out the common trait shared between Fuuko and Ayu, both their character and story are on a completely different vector. At the very least, Fuuko's character and story setting felt completely original to me. I would even go as far as to say that Fuuko's route hit me harder than Ayu's did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
How on Earth did Toei manage to get their hands on this project? I only discovered Key and their excellent works about a month ago but after watching Kyoto's Air and Kanon '06 and comparing them to Toei's Air Movie and Kanon '02 there's no doubt in my mind as to which company is more faithful to the original Key material. Don't get me wrong, Toei have done some really great work over the years but I personally feel that they're just not good enough to tell the sort of stories that Key makes.

That's the problem really. People tend to think Toei=bad and Kyoani=god, I mean good, but that's not really true. If we were to look at Toei's adaptations on their own, they are by no means bad. For example, people generally considered Toei's Kanon a good adaptation back in 2002. And if we don't think about Kyoani's AIR anime, I'd say Toei's AIR movie wasn't that bad either.

So it's really Toei=good, but Kyoani=better. Kyoani deserves the praise because they really put the effort into their creations, but that still doesn't make Toei a bad company in any way. If there's going to be a Kyoani CLANNAD TV anime in the future, then great. But even if there isn't one, it still shouldn't affect how we rate this movie.

Either way, as long as they don't bend or mess around with the scenario, I'll be happy with whatever we get out of this movie.

By the way, here are my personal top 5 scenes (besides the main story of Nagisa route + After Story + Illusion World) that I wish to see in animation (some are probably impossible to fit in the movie):
Spoiler:
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 12:01   Link #25
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Since the movie will probably be 90 min long, my wish list of game materials to be included into the movie will be very short:
Spoiler:
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 23:59   Link #26
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

CLANNAD: Fall of 2007
Toei Animation / Director: Osamu Dezaki
(same as Air movie. legendary director for many classics such as Ashita no Joe, The Rose of Versailles, etc)
Old 2007-03-07, 15:36   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post

I kind of get the feeling that TOEI is Key's lower-budget test market tool. Although I can't quite figure out why they'd go for the movie first (rather than something like the AIR sequence... perhaps the movie sales on AIR were disappointing to them so they think a movie-first might maximize that profit item before moving to OVAs or a series... especially since given the material they might have to resort to a two season series).
Old 2007-03-07, 15:59   Link #28
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Actually Toei is the much larger company here (don't let the Kyoani hype get to you, Kyoani is still really just a small production house), therefore they were probably rich enough to fork over the money in advance to take full control of the project in a way that was satisfactory to Key. Plus the Clannad movie project was announced as far back as last year along side the Kanon 2k6 TV at TAF. If anything the two projects were probably concurrent.

Also the Kyoani Key work adaptations are a collaboration between various parties, for example both AIR and Kanon TV involved the parties of Pony Canyon/Kyoani/Movic/TBS, obviously when you need to have that many minor parties involved to create an anime things tend to work differently.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 00:39   Link #29
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Oh wow pretty page the sakura ..i want to catch them >.<. Nagisa looks so nice! The art style is really neat looking.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 01:03   Link #30
velocity7

First thoughts... the line above Nagisa's picture here translates to: Did you lose someone important to you?

Based on that line alone, I'd gather...
Spoiler:

Another possible take could be...
Spoiler:

Last edited by velocity7; 2007-03-08 at 11:35.
velocity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 01:38   Link #31
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
First thoughts... the line above Nagisa's picture here translates to: Did you lose someone important to you?
"Have you ever lost someone important to you?" might fit the context better, but that's just me being meh.

As for your spoiler comments, I don't see why they can't cover both the school life portion and after story portion in the movie. Although I'll agree the movie would come off much more dramatic and "movie-like" with the way you suggested.

That, and your spoiler is lethal for those who never played the game. Might want to slap on a few more layers of spoiler tags there.

As for the losing someone thing,
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-08, 05:55   Link #32
FireChick

Quote:
"Have you ever lost someone important to you?" might fit the context better, but that's just me being meh.
Actually...I've lost someone very important to me last month.
Old 2007-03-08, 07:15   Link #33
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Seems that Kyo, Tomoyo, Akio and Sanae will at least make a cameo appearance in the film. Now, where is Fuuko?!

Spoiler for story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Actually...I've lost someone very important to me last month.
My condolence. Hope you are feeling better now......
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 07:58   Link #34
FireChick

I'm not. I lost my precious cat who was 19 years old who died of poisoning/kidney failure. Sorry if I went off topic. Oh and maybe there's a page that does have Fuuko but isn't shown. But is the boy with the blue hair Youhei? No, it can't be! In the game he's blonde! Besides, the blue haired boy reminds me of Len from La Corda D'Oro because of hair and uniform.
Old 2007-03-08, 15:19   Link #35
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I also find their lack of Fuuko disturbing. FPB demands ヘンな人 goodness.
Hopefully they just left her out of that particular article, or she got cut out of the scan.
[/wishful thinking]
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 22:34   Link #36
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I also find their lack of Fuuko disturbing. FPB demands ヘンな人 goodness.
Hopefully they just left her out of that particular article, or she got cut out of the scan.
[/wishful thinking]
All the Fuuko Masters in the world would riot if they left her out. Same goes for Kotomi or even subcharacters like Yukine or Mei. I'm guessing the character arts for the other characters were simply not ready when the magazine article was being written, that's all.
Old 2007-03-08, 22:42   Link #37
Skane
Anime Snark

Sacrifices would need to be made if they want to make a coherent movie without the plot wandering all over.

Old 2007-03-08, 23:14   Link #38
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Sacrifices would need to be made if they want to make a coherent movie without the plot wandering all over.

But those sacrifices don't need to include Fuuko

Any chance of this movie being two hours? I just can't see anyone fitting this much stuff into 90 minutes without trimming nearly everything (and everyone) and leaving only the skeletal remains of Nagisa's arch.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 10:15   Link #39
velocity7

The chance of an anime movie being two hours is roughly the same as seeing another Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack.
Old 2007-03-09, 12:00   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
The chance of an anime movie being two hours is roughly the same as seeing another Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack.
Especially from Toei who is reknowned for making 50 minute movie after 50 minute movie of their properties, roughly following the exact same plot. If I had to pick the largest fault with the company it would definitely be that and their tendency to have one fairly repetitive opening song and remix it several times for most of the BGM including a shortened vocal version for the first fight scene they have in their action series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, movie, romance, school life, seinen, toei