AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-06-30, 04:19   Link #341
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Well, the last part of the song wasn't included in the ED of ep 12.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 09:21   Link #342
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Well, the last part of the song wasn't included in the ED of ep 12.
Even so, it is still on the single.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 04:22   Link #343
Westlo
Lets be reality

Figures are in for this week sales and Seikan Hikou has the lowest debut in terms of chart position (#5) and sales.

Triangler's first week: 34,961
Don't be Late's first week: 42,714
Seikan Hikou's first week: 34,501

Surprised to see it having the lowest first week total out of the Macross Frontier singles, it was easily the most pushed single in the show and it had covers of 2 of the most well known Macross songs. I do expect this to eventually outsell Don't Be Late since the release of the Frontier OST really hit the cd single sales for both Don't Be Late and Triangler. (Don't Be Late went from 10-15 on the dailies to like 25-40 and Triangler went from 20's to out of the daily chart) Seeing as how OST II would be late August at earliest (most likely September) that's not a problem for Seikan Hikou.

Now how will Mayn's Lion/Northern Cross compare to them...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 07:00   Link #344
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Does Northern Cross have a date yet?
nanatsusaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 08:07   Link #345
Westlo
Lets be reality

The May'n Lion/Northern Cross single got pushed back to the 20th of August Was suppose to come out on the 8th. Maybe due to a delay in the schedule? Since Macross Frontier is suppose to end on the 17th of October and is suppose to be 25 episodes long that means we have 3 extra weeks. I'm guessing the delay has to do with the single being pushed back especially if they want to tie Northern Cross into the show (gogo Sheryl fightback!) in a similar way to Diamond Crevasse was in episode 6.

http://gabrielarobin.com/244/new-may...er-single-lion
Old 2008-07-02, 21:08   Link #346
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Figures are in for this week sales and Seikan Hikou has the lowest debut in terms of chart position (#5) and sales.

Triangler's first week: 34,961
Don't be Late's first week: 42,714
Seikan Hikou's first week: 34,501

Surprised to see it having the lowest first week total out of the Macross Frontier singles, it was easily the most pushed single in the show and it had covers of 2 of the most well known Macross songs. I do expect this to eventually outsell Don't Be Late since the release of the Frontier OST really hit the cd single sales for both Don't Be Late and Triangler. (Don't Be Late went from 10-15 on the dailies to like 25-40 and Triangler went from 20's to out of the daily chart) Seeing as how OST II would be late August at earliest (most likely September) that's not a problem for Seikan Hikou.
Little correction to the oricon figures for those who haven't heard it yet.

#1 Don't be Late's first week: 42,714
# 2 Seikan Hikou's first week: 34,501
# 3 Triangler's first week: 31,270

http://gabrielarobin.com/271/seikan-...y-singles-at-5

I'm impressed with Nakajima Megumi. I have high respects for Maaya Sakamoto, more than May'n, so outselling her in the first week is something. This is how you do a debut lol I also think Diamond Crevasse/Don't Be Late have more promotion in the anime so far, but I'm sure they're still going to continously promote Ranka's songs from here on.

Also, if you look more at the site, they say Maaya Sakamoto will appear in episode 13. What's that about? lol
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:35   Link #347
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Maybe Maaya'll make a guest appearance as some unimportant character's seiyuu. She does that all the time.
Old 2008-07-02, 23:43   Link #348
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
Maybe Maaya'll make a guest appearance as some unimportant character's seiyuu. She does that all the time.
I personally adore her voice whenever she chooses to voice act. She has a nice, soft voice.

Her songs on the other hand, I still like her Hemisphere and Kiseki no umi over anything she released recently.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 00:15   Link #349
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Kiseki no Umi is one of my most favorite songs of all time and I love Maaya in Wolf Rain & Escaflowne. Those were her golden days, now it seems like something is missing in her songs and her voice isn't that unique.

I don't like any of her works beside those which are composed by Yoko Kanno
Old 2008-07-03, 00:20   Link #350
zalem

Her Escaflowne songs are great, as are Kiseki no Umi and Hemisphere. But my god, Triangular is just terrible. I have to skip the opening every time cause that song makes me cringe.
Old 2008-07-03, 00:48   Link #351
mike_s_6

Reposting from Sheryl thread, because this place is more appropriate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I'm not sure if you're upset or what, but I'm pretty sure if Maaya Sakamoto voiced one of the lead characters here in MF, she'll have far better sales than May'n or Megumi.
Oh, but sadly we'll never know that. The issue I was pointing out is that the amount of sales do not equate to the size of the fanbase that the artist has before they were involved in the animation. I have to agree that the 8000 difference is not just due to May'n having 8000 more previous fans. That is just a wild guess. Sheryl has been more popular than Ranka in almost every forum in the net, and it's not because her singing voice May'n previously already had fans. She just, is, popular. That's one factor where we have real metrics, not guesses. Factor in the comparative quality of the songs, Sheryl's CD would really have higher sales.
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 01:35   Link #352
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Why can't people just admit the simple fact that Diamond Crevasse itself is a better song so it would have higher sale?

Characters aside (I doubt characters' popularity has much impact on the sales, it's the quality of the music that matters), Megumi did pretty well for her debut song but that's just it, her pop-ish cute songs plus several covers from old famous Macross songs couldn't beat the awesome Diamon + Infinity. Triangular isn't bad and is publicized well but not comparable to Maaya's old songs and it is different from her normal style. There are tons of other singles of her have lower sales than this.
Old 2008-07-03, 01:50   Link #353
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I personally adore her voice whenever she chooses to voice act. She has a nice, soft voice.

Her songs on the other hand, I still like her Hemisphere and Kiseki no umi over anything she released recently.

- Tak
Damn! You too?! Hemisphere & Kiseki no Umi have this magical quality about them. Her recent non-Kanno work has been too mainstream if you ask me.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 02:11   Link #354
mike_s_6

Quote:
Why can't people just admit the simple fact that Diamond Crevasse itself is a better song so it would have higher sale?

Characters aside (I doubt characters' popularity has much impact on the sales, it's the quality of the music that matters), Megumi did pretty well for her debut song but that's just it, her pop-ish cute songs plus several covers from old famous Macross songs couldn't beat the awesome Diamon + Infinity. Triangular isn't bad and is publicized well but not comparable to Maaya's old songs and it is different from her normal style. There are tons of other singles of her have lower sales than this.
If you follow the Sheryl thread, you'll see that my original opinion is the same as yours - the quality of the song added to Mayn's beautiful delivery made Diamond Crevasse sell. I made this post in response to another person who is making the case that Sheryl's CD sold about 8000 more due to May'n having a fanbase beforehand, and Megumi doesn't. Which, as someone else has pointed out, May'n didn't really have a strong fanbase or sales before!

I only added the additional metric that Sheryl is really more popular, I mean admit it, some people would buy based on popularity. Then add that to the quality of the music, it was surely going to sell more.

Your second to the last statement even tell us that the quality of the song isn't going to mean that it's going to outsell a CD! Look, the Yakusoku wa Iranai single sold worse than Triangler even if it sounded tons better. You have to admit that there are *other* factors that cause a CD to sell. We're just debating which ones they might be.

That's my answer to your question, "Why can't people just admit the simple fact that Diamond Crevasse itself is a better song so it would have higher sale?" Because quality doesn't equate to sales. Harsh reality.
Old 2008-07-03, 02:40   Link #355
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
That's my answer to your question, "Why can't people just admit the simple fact that Diamond Crevasse itself is a better song so it would have higher sale?" Because quality doesn't equate to sales. Harsh reality.
I agree The quality of music and the publicity are two big factors in affecting the sales. However, I still think people buying the single based on the character's popularity isn't the larger case. Me for example, I had loved Diamond Crevasse even before I watched Marcross Frontier and knew who Sheryl was. And Triangular being the most publicized one out of three singles but has less sales because it's not good enough. Still it was her first single that got into Oricon Chart after a long time

About Ranka's single, I believe it could sell more if adding Aimo since it is her most famous song and was played even more than Diamond Crevasse while Seikan Hikou, Neko Nikki, etc... are almost brand new songs and only featured in recent eps.

While the numbers of sales aren't all about quality, it doesn't exactly represent a character's popularity either. It's silly to compare Sheryl & Ranka's popularity based on those numbers
Old 2008-07-03, 02:48   Link #356
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Little correction to the oricon figures for those who haven't heard it yet.

#1 Don't be Late's first week: 42,714
# 2 Seikan Hikou's first week: 34,501
# 3 Triangler's first week: 31,270

http://gabrielarobin.com/271/seikan-...y-singles-at-5

I'm impressed with Nakajima Megumi. I have high respects for Maaya Sakamoto, more than May'n, so outselling her in the first week is something. This is how you do a debut lol I also think Diamond Crevasse/Don't Be Late have more promotion in the anime so far, but I'm sure they're still going to continously promote Ranka's songs from here on.

Also, if you look more at the site, they say Maaya Sakamoto will appear in episode 13. What's that about? lol
Mike posted the figures I used on Macross Worlds forums, he confused Oricon figures with something else... and no the Seikan Hikou cd was the most promoted single in the series easily.

Completely showcased Seikan Hikou in episode 12, used Neko Nikki as an insert in episode 9 and 12 as well as the ED for 11. And it covers two of the most popular songs in the Macross franchise in Do You Remember Love? (Deculture and 12 ED) and My Boyfriend is a Pilot (Episode 4 insert). If you don't think they added significant sales to the cd single you're delusional. They also had the full version of Seikan Hikou on the website with a Ranka dance move video for about 2 weeks...

If you want to pretend that Don't Be Late's insert in episode 1 and Diamond Crevasse being the ED for 2-5 as well as being played fully in 6 is more promotion than you couldn't be more wrong imo. Seikan Hikou got promoted more and still fell 8000 short of Don't Be Late, don't worry it should eventually outsell Don't Be Late since it won't have an OST being released shortly after it came out with all the songs on the single on it. (Triangler and Don't Be Late dived hardcore when the OST came out...)
Old 2008-07-03, 03:12   Link #357
mike_s_6

Quote:
While the numbers of sales aren't all about quality, it doesn't exactly represent a character's popularity either. It's silly to compare Sheryl & Ranka's popularity based on those numbers
I never said that CD sales are indicators of Sheryl's nor Ranka's popularity! (Where did that come from... I think you got it the other way around!) What I mentioned before is that there is a possibility that their character's popularity affected the CD sales. You do know that there are quite a number of polls online and on magazines where Sheryl is currently leading by a huge margin from Ranka, right? Not that it proves anything, just that it might have affected the sales, as people do buy based on popularity.

Well let's just agree that there are many factors that sell a CD, not just quality or artist popularity, so it's not right to name just one factor as the one that caused one CD to outsell another. It's not just quality, not just experience, not just popularity, it's more probably all of the above.

By the way... I do like Megumi's voice more than May'n's. By a LOT.
Old 2008-07-03, 03:19   Link #358
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
I never said that CD sales are indicators of Sheryl's nor Ranka's popularity! (Where did that come from... I think you got it the other way around!)
No I'm not talking about you If you want to see that silly debate then go to Sheryl's threat. Poor Maaya got caught in between.

Quote:
By the way... I do like Megumi's voice more than May'n's. By a LOT.
My preference is May'n. There's more depths in hers than Megumi's sweet voice. Howver I think I like both
Old 2008-07-03, 03:23   Link #359
Same_Shark

Megumi sounds like Maaya when she first debuted! I think that could have a little to do with it. Not by much though.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 03:39   Link #360
mike_s_6

Quote:
No I'm not talking about you If you want to see that silly debate then go to Sheryl's threat. Poor Maaya got caught in between.

My preference is May'n. There's more depths in hers than Megumi's sweet voice. Howver I think I like both
(Maaya did get caught in between... I never thought she was a diva, not that it would matter if she were o__O)

I think May'n and Megumi has their strengths, I may just have to take back what I said, I remember hearing a May'n song before she was in Mac F and she was using her lower register and she sounded really great! But let's just say I was referring to her Mac F voice. I love her songs in Mac F most where her voice goes down, she should do it more

Tags
music