AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-03-08, 00:17   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

The White Screen of Death (and other posting issues)

I'm not sure if this is related, but the Otome forum....

-> http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

...is having some serious problems with double posts. What's happening is this:

A person goes to post and after hitting the Submit button, they're presented with a pure white page (now known at "The White Screen of Death"). They back up thinking their post didn't take and hit the Submit button again (and again and again and again). Resulting in multiple posts because each time this click Submit, they're presented with the White Screen of Death.

I don't think this is cookie related because I blow my browser cookies every time I shut down my browser and it's happening to me. I thought I'd post this here because maybe it's related somehow.

Cheers.

/catgirls’ who misses the yellow smilies.

/EDIT: Okay...this is happening in every forum I visit. I'm beginning to see double/multiple posts on the General Chat forum as well.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 00:26   Link #2
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

This PM from Eclipze sums up what's happening at the moment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Thanks for the tip, but the posting error is making it hard to make a reply....when I post a reply, i get to a blank page (something like "http://forums.animesuki.com/newreply.php"). On 2 previous topics, when I just post and it reaches the blank page, it is considered posted, but when I did the same for the Avy error thread, it didn’t work. (If I refresh and resend the information on those previous 2 threads, they made it a double post.

However, I see a "page 3" on the avy error thread, but whenever I press that page, it just links back to 2.

A third error I've noticed is that, even though I have posted in the thread, my post itself is not considered the "lasted post by"? Could it be a personal account/IP error then?
FYI: I've tried multiple web browsers (Opera, Firefox, Flock, Mozilla & IE6) and they're all behaving the same.
Old 2006-03-08, 00:26   Link #3
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

This PM from Eclipze sums up what's happening at the moment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Thanks for the tip, but the posting error is making it hard to make a reply....when I post a reply, i get to a blank page (something like "http://forums.animesuki.com/newreply.php"). On 2 previous topics, when I just post and it reaches the blank page, it is considered posted, but when I did the same for the Avy error thread, it didn’t work. (If I refresh and resend the information on those previous 2 threads, they made it a double post.

However, I see a "page 3" on the avy error thread, but whenever I press that page, it just links back to 2.

A third error I've noticed is that, even though I have posted in the thread, my post itself is not considered the "lasted post by"? Could it be a personal account/IP error then?
FYI: I've tried multiple web browsers (Opera, Firefox, Flock, Mozilla & IE6) and they're all behaving the same.
Old 2006-03-08, 00:38   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Heh. And apparently it happened to you right here. I haven't seen this error myself... yet.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 00:56   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I take it back. I've seen this error myself now. It sucks big time. And even more irritating, it seems that the mass inline moderation functions are screwed up so I can't mass delete it when someone accidently posted 5 times. I'm stuck deleting the extra posts, one-at-a-time.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 01:17   Link #6
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Yeah, I've seen it around alot recently, wonder whats going on here?
Cloudkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 01:20   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

While I'm also getting the errors with multiple posts/threads being generated my major concern at the moment is the inability to access new thread pages created in the last 4 hours. >.>;

In several threads double and even triple posts have been generated for the last 4/5 posts but I am unable to access the pages to remove them.

[Edit:] I got white screened making this post. ;_;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 07:01   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Maybe try without active scripting I think this forum has an overdoze of scripting language.
Old 2006-03-08, 07:19   Link #9
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
Maybe try without active scripting
That would go someway to alleviating the posting issues... but it does make the forum less functional. All the nice AJAX user and administrative features or the menus for example... The forum isn't really designed to be used without them though it does "attempt" to gracefully degrade when unavailable. What is more annoying is the fact it doesn't effect all servers -- apparently. So it works intermittently. (Like I can edit this post no problems... but for the last few hours when I have it "appears" to delete the post ... )

It does heavily use scripting, but I'm not convinced that is the root cause. I think the client script problems are a symptom of server issues. Maybe with the forum, maybe with the httpd config or maybe due to unknown discrepancies between servers... Unfortunately until Mb81 has time to do a through investigation there isn't much we can do.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 07:02   Link #10
destern

Send a message via MSN to destern
Just now I've experience the same problem as Mod Catgirls but luckily I managed to delete double reply A.S.A.P.
destern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 14:13   Link #11
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As a further comment on this bug, here's yet another side-effect: If you go back to the forum index upon receiving the WSoD, your post doesn't appear as the "latest post" in the thread listing views (which further adds to the impression that it didn't work). Upon entering the thread through, it's there; in fact, if you enter the thread in another web browser, the post is there, but it's still not marked as the "latest post" even when it is. And, as Catgirls mentioned, if you edit the post, it seems to disappear but, in fact, it's still there and the edit is applied.

So, I'm not sure how it's all setup in this case, but the suggestion that it may be some sort of a server sync problem is an interesting one. It'd be curious to know what the resolution is once Mb81 is able to figure it out.

Edit: Case in point, it's happening for me right now on this post The two times it happened to me so far, I was in Advanced view and did Preview before posting, but I don't know if it makes any difference.

Edit 2: Actually, to further reinforce the side-effect I mentioned earlier, I just realized that destern's post above mine also doesn't show up as the latest post. The latest post is NightWish's post yesterday (#9).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 14:40   Link #12
Chichi

Posting

This may have been queried before, possibly even on the Feedback index but I tend to overlook things so forgive me.

Whenever I click the post button the browser simply hangs while trying to load... If I then open an external window from the same topic my post has been made. However, upon looking at my post count, it doesn't register the new post. The original window is still trying to load but lags, so I end up closing it.

I've tried other VB forums and they seem to function fine.

Edit: I saw the 'White Screen Of Death' thread. Close/delete/merge if need be. Sorry.
Chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 14:42   Link #13
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Thread Merged: Probably a related problem. We're still waiting for a word from Mb81 on the subject...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 16:53   Link #14
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
As a further comment on this bug, here's yet another side-effect: If you go back to the forum index upon receiving the WSoD, your post doesn't appear as the "latest post" in the thread listing views (which further adds to the impression that it didn't work). Upon entering the thread through, it's there; in fact, if you enter the thread in another web browser, the post is there, but it's still not marked as the "latest post" even when it is. And, as Catgirls mentioned, if you edit the post, it seems to disappear but, in fact, it's still there and the edit is applied.
Yep, I've noticed this happening. It's very misleading as 'active' threads are actually being shown as inactive. This just happened to me on the 'Is Mecha anime Dead?' thread. It also didn't add my subscription automatically. I had to do that myself.

Hope that helps the bug fixing...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 19:01   Link #15
Eclipze

A little observation...ever since I've reported my forum IP address to the Avy problem thread (here:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23505), not only can I now upload a new avatar, WSoD also disappeared completely for me.

Although I'm baffled that Catgirls still got that problem (presuming that he had reported his own IP address as well).

PS: However, I still cant see my post on the "page 3" of the avy thread that were made pior to the IP report.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 23:44   Link #16
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Guess it's my turn to join the WSoD club.

Got the same problem today. Told NoSanninWa about this in a PM, but it just so happens that I forgot to tell him about the WSoD while explaining the problem.

I guess this means it's not just a problem on my end.
Old 2006-03-10, 04:30   Link #17
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I replied to the 'Is Mecha anime dead?' thread but now page 2 is unreachable, along with my post. I used the Quick Reply function, which seemed to work (no white screen this time), if that helps...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 04:42   Link #18
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ Yeah I noticed that cause I just tried to read your post^^...It is what it is...Suki seems to just be problematic for whatever reasons, but to make sure your post made it, all you have to do when you see the white screen is to open a new browser and refresh animesuki and your post will be there...Now if your post is the next post on a new page then your SOL...It will be there, but you won't be able to see it until the glitch stops...Also if you edit your post after the whole WSoD your post will prolly dissapear, but when you immediatley refresh it will return edited...This is all I can offer so you can atleast do something other than sit there pi$$ed off...
Old 2006-03-10, 09:32   Link #19
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
I replied to the 'Is Mecha anime dead?' thread but now page 2 is unreachable, along with my post. I used the Quick Reply function, which seemed to work (no white screen this time), if that helps...
Sorry if I'm being busybody, but I've replied to that thread, and now page 2 is reachable.

Once again, I quote myself:
Quote:
A little observation...ever since I've reported my forum IP address to the Avy problem thread (here:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23505), not only can I now upload a new avatar, WSoD also disappeared completely for me.
And this includes the "inaccessable next page" problem. Granted, it might not work for everyone, but it did for me.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote