AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-04-13, 11:26   Link #1
Rand
Dragon Reborn

The Wheel Of Time

Last edited by Rand; 2013-11-11 at 07:30.
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 11:47   Link #2
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Are there any fan of Robert Jordan's great fantasy story ?
I started the fourth book of the Wheel Of Time and it's really impressive.

Has anyone of you read it ? What do you think??
Yep, here's one, read (almost) the whole serie, if you wonder wether you should read it or not, read it. It's good.
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 12:06   Link #3
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller
Yep, here's one, read (almost) the whole serie, if you wonder wether you should read it or not, read it. It's good.
I am fan but I've been disappointed lately. The early books in the series were a page turner (couldn't stop reading) but his last one was. well it came out last year and I haven't read past the 30th page or so...

Quality drops off around the 7th or 8th book in my belief. The first 4-6 books are amazing but considering he originally intended to make it a 4-book series, he's taken a dragon ball z approach by dragging the plot of the story now. It's still a overall good series but he's no longer the best.

If you like him, you should try George R.R. Martin "A song of Fire and Ice" series. It's only in the 3rd book but I consider this series to be much better than Jordan's.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 12:25   Link #4
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
I am fan but I've been disappointed lately. The early books in the series were a page turner (couldn't stop reading) but his last one was. well it came out last year and I haven't read past the 30th page or so...

Quality drops off around the 7th or 8th book in my belief. The first 4-6 books are amazing but considering he originally intended to make it a 4-book series, he's taken a dragon ball z approach by dragging the plot of the story now. It's still a overall good series but he's no longer the best.
I actually bought the first several books, but haven't taken the time to read them yet due to opinions like that. I really like the fantasy genre though. Most of my reading time has been spent on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and I am loving it. Two more books then I will have to pick between starting the new RA Salvatore or the Wheel of Time series next.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 13:17   Link #5
jamuraa
heh

Send a message via ICQ to jamuraa Send a message via AIM to jamuraa Send a message via MSN to jamuraa Send a message via Yahoo to jamuraa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo
I actually bought the first several books, but haven't taken the time to read them yet due to opinions like that. I really like the fantasy genre though. Most of my reading time has been spent on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and I am loving it. Two more books then I will have to pick between starting the new RA Salvatore or the Wheel of Time series next.
The first several books of the Wheel of Time series are very good, and I would reccommend them to anyone. I think the quality goes south with about the 7th or 8th book, and I haven't even been able to get to the first chapter of the latest one. I don't know if that is because I don't have time, or if it's just not that interesting anymore.

I read the Sword of Truth series's first few books, but I didn't like the fourth book at all, so I stopped.

http://bt.base0.net/ - wheee!!
Hunter X Hunter rules!
Vote with your feet for re-sharing episodes from my site, I auto-reshare episodes with no seeds based on the amount of leechers waiting.
jamuraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 14:18   Link #6
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I tought it will be interesting if they adapt the WOT novels into an anime series or a live TV series.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 14:48   Link #7
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I tought it will be interesting if they adapt the WOT novels into an anime series or a live TV series.
That would be tough but not impossible. I'd enjoy watching the first 6 books converted to anime.

But I hope they don't also convert all of Jordan's long fillers over to anime fillers. For some reason RJ needs to use 20 pages per chapter to describe the clothes that Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene are wearing plus another 10 pages of filler describing everything from the room to the the teapot sitting on a silver tray. He made WoT to be the dragon ball z of fantasy sci-fi novels if you ask me...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 22:39   Link #8
DekaMaster
Banned

I loved the first few books like 1-4. But then I stopped caring about the characters. All the female characters are to bitchy. The male characters are boring and bland except for Perrin. Perrin is fun to read about.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 03:51   Link #9
shiden

ive read the series up to book 9
i hate waiting for the next book, then finding out i can't afford to buy the next book just yet.

sword of truth series owns as well.

shiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 05:00   Link #10
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I read the 10 books that are out (all except for the prelude New Spring) and I used to be a huge fan of Jordan. However, as dragonz20 mentioned, the quality dropps after the 7th, 8th book or so. The plot then suffers a very annoying deceleration as there are too many charachters too wide spread for the plot to advance satisfyingly in a single volume (big as they are).
So if you want to read good fantasy, I'd be more inclined to recommand something on the lines of G.R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb or even China Miéville (more steam punk like). And be suer to check out Peter F. Hamilton for the best SF epic of modern times, and the most amazing space fights too
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 05:08   Link #11
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I don't read alot of books, but not long ago I started reading this book called Prophet Without Honour. It's the story behind the MMORPG Anarchy Online. I liked it Might want to check it out.
Old 2004-04-14, 18:22   Link #12
Cz
Needs more sleep~

My feelings are the same as everyone else's. I can't wait for the series to end so I do not have to read a new book and wait months to read the next one. He's taking his own sweet time with this and dragging the story on and on and on and on and [...] You get the idea.

I would not mind seeing a Wheel of Time TV series or movie as long as it is not as long-winded as the novels and has enough action in it. *imagines Rand casting balefire at a Forsaken in a movie*
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 18:30   Link #13
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I want to see the battle when Rand got kidnapped and the Ashaman soldiers in action, I keep imagining what the battle look like in my head.

And the battle when Perrin defend Two Rivers.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 04:57   Link #14
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

My brother asked me to download all the ebooks to this season last year and he spent all month reading them, whenever he had spare time he was on his laptop.
I thought he was crazy, but then one day i got bored and read a couple of chapters then.......2 weeks later i finnaly came out of my room after finsihing bk 13!!!
I reccomend this book to everyone!!!!, i cant stand the women in it though theyre all so bloody arogant!
Old 2011-10-19, 07:55   Link #15
james0246

Looks like the final books publication has been pushed back again. Expect A Memory of Light anywhere from March 2012 to November 2012.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 08:24   Link #16
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

damn!

Well it better be the biggest book yet of WoT!!!
Old 2011-10-19, 08:43   Link #17
larethian

I started reading this 15 years ago. And stopped at volume 8, when I was in uni, I think. It was really awesome, but I hate the fact that I've forgotten what took place and who some of the newer characters in the other factions were with each new volume, which took around 3 years to publish. I have up till 10 but never managed to read 9 and 10. These days I only read light novels for fiction. I'll probably get back to them when the last volume gets released.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 10:02   Link #18
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I read most of the series as well. I didn't get the last one. As a couple have posted above, it's like a never-ending story. Very good and some original ideas, but it really drags on.
Old 2011-10-19, 10:12   Link #19
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

1 - 5 was great
6 was ok
7 - 11 was dragging ,-- how do you write 8000 pages and not go anywhere?
12 -13 was fine as the story was staring to move again.
Old 2011-10-19, 10:18   Link #20
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
My brother asked me to download all the ebooks to this season last year and he spent all month reading them, whenever he had spare time he was on his laptop.
I thought he was crazy, but then one day i got bored and read a couple of chapters then.......2 weeks later i finnaly came out of my room after finsihing bk 13!!!
I reccomend this book to everyone!!!!, i cant stand the women in it though theyre all so bloody arogant!
How the hell can you read thirteen treekillers in two weeks? That's an entire book a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1 - 5 was great
6 was ok
7 - 11 was dragging ,-- how do you write 8000 pages and not go anywhere?
12 -13 was fine as the story was staring to move again.
This.

Thought to be honest Brandon's handling of Matt is a little different and unusual. Can't quite put my finger on why though. All the other characters are fine.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote