Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-12, 22:13   Link #21
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Send a message via MSN to TheRunba Send a message via Yahoo to TheRunba
As long as there is no sex involved, it's cool.
Old 2010-07-12, 23:32   Link #22
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm...

I second Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Whisper Of The Heart.

She'd also probably enjoy Crest of the Stars quite a bit. Action adventure with a strong female lead.

If she's at all interested in romance (of the very sweet and safe variety) Kimi Ni Todoke would be a good choice. Completely clean- and safe for middle schoolers.

I know my cousin (female) really likes K-On. (It does have some very light fanservice, but less than Sailor Moon probably).

Since she seems to like action, maybe Shakugan No Shana or Full Metal Panic? I know Full Metal Panic seems to be rather popular with a lot of girls.

As I recall, both have a some fanservice though. You might want to watch them and see what you think. If I remember right the biggest piece of fanservice in Full Metal Panic occurs very early, like the first two episodes, so you wouldn't have to spend too much time on it in figuring out if it's okay or not. No sex or anything. I think Full Metal Panic had a panty shot. Shana had a bit more than that, but I don't remember the details.

If your sister likes bittersweet stories she might like Cross Game. Be warned though, the first episode will make her cry, so you should be sure to watch it with her and to watch at least the first four episodes at once (so as to put some distance between the end and the tear jerker in the first episode).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-13, 00:28   Link #23
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Hmmm...

I second Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Whisper Of The Heart.

She'd also probably enjoy Crest of the Stars quite a bit. Action adventure with a strong female lead.

If she's at all interested in romance (of the very sweet and safe variety) Kimi Ni Todoke would be a good choice. Completely clean- and safe for middle schoolers.

I know my cousin (female) really likes K-On. (It does have some very light fanservice, but less than Sailor Moon probably).

Since she seems to like action, maybe Shakugan No Shana or Full Metal Panic? I know Full Metal Panic seems to be rather popular with a lot of girls.

As I recall, both have a some fanservice though. You might want to watch them and see what you think. If I remember right the biggest piece of fanservice in Full Metal Panic occurs very early, like the first two episodes, so you wouldn't have to spend too much time on it in figuring out if it's okay or not. No sex or anything. I think Full Metal Panic had a panty shot. Shana had a bit more than that, but I don't remember the details.

If your sister likes bittersweet stories she might like Cross Game. Be warned though, the first episode will make her cry, so you should be sure to watch it with her and to watch at least the first four episodes at once (so as to put some distance between the end and the tear jerker in the first episode).

Kimi Ni Todoke sounds interesting

and if she was was old enough, I'm sure I'd give her my Buffy DVDs (maybe in a year or two...)
Old 2010-07-13, 10:30   Link #24
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRunba View Post
no interest.
Oh thats crushing!! The anime is so good!

btw when you give her your Buffy DVD's have her watch Ghost Hunt then, probably a bit too scary for her now but the main characters are great, there's a hint of romance, good comedy but its probably a bit scary for a 12 year old (considering it scared a lot of older anime fans ) Mostly is only 1 arc thats really bad but Id still wait.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-13, 20:40   Link #25
imbehindyou
turn around...

For recent series, I also strongly suggest Natsume Yuujinchou and Kimi ni Todoke.

As for older ones, for Magical Girl series, some that I enjoyed are Saint Tail, Akazukin Chacha, and Wedding Peach, but they're all well over 10 yrs old so there might be some availability issues. Others that I liked are Tegami Bachi, Pita Ten, and Daa! Daa! Daa!, but Pita Ten and Daa! Daa! Daa! were broadcasted well before 5 yrs as well. (Tegami Bachi was last & this yr.)

They are all rated G - PG 13, so there should be no problem.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
Old 2010-07-13, 22:18   Link #26
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Here's the list of things you've all suggested to me

Key:
Red = Has Not Seen
Blue = Retrieving
Green = Seen

Princess Tutu
Kaleido Star
Aria
Seven-Colored Drops (Nanatsuiro Drops)
Kobato

Angelic Layer
Mini-goddess Karin (Kamichama Karin)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha)

Natsume's Book of Friends (Natsume Yūjinchō)
His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)
Child's Toy (Kodocha)
Computer Coil (Denno Coil)
Working!!
Spirited Away
Cat returns
Laputa Castle in the sky
Howl's moving castle
Princess mononoke

Ponyo
Pretty Cure

Magical Girl Squad Alice ( Mahō Shōjotai Arusu)
Windy Tales
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Guardian series (Moribito)
Daughter of Twenty Faces
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Cross Game

Chi's Sweet Home/New Address
Higepiyo
Summer Wars
Sunshine Sketch (Hidamari Sketch)
Shion's King (Shion no Ou)
Noein

School Rumble
Twelve Kingdoms
Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Whisper Of The Heart
Reaching you (Kimi Ni Todoke)
K-On
Burning-Eyed Shana (Shakugan No Shana)
Full Metal Panic
Cross Game
Ghost Hunt
Old 2010-07-22, 08:14   Link #27
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

So it's been awhile, she REALLY loves "Searching for the Full Moon" and Tsubasa
Old 2010-07-23, 02:51   Link #28
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

what do you guys think of "Romeo x Juliet"?
Old 2010-07-26, 12:37   Link #29
P99

I second Moribito. It's pretty good and age appropiate.
Old 2010-07-26, 15:17   Link #30
RenaRay

Thats a pretty extensive list you got there so far. A couple of other oldies are DNAngel, Escaflowne, Pretear, Inu Yasha, Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Magical Pretty Sammy and Project S, Bottle Fairy and Magic Knight Rayearth. Someone else mentioned Fruits Basket and I agree with that.

Also I haven't seen it yet so not entirely sure on content but maybe Gakuen Alice? And Mokke is pretty good.

There's also Ojamajo Doremi and Jewel Pet which just popped up on AnimeSuki. Looks like Jewel Pet is a Digimon/Pokemon with the cute factor turned up a few notches.

Last edited by RenaRay; 2010-07-26 at 19:08.
Old 2010-08-06, 20:28   Link #31
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Quick update: With no appreciation of fantasy adventure, she finds Slayers BORING and didn't even bother to finish episode one
Old 2010-08-06, 21:00   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think I have an appreciation for fantasy adventure, and I'd probably agree with your sister. I thought the characters and plot in Slayers were formulaic, and the animation looks dated to modern audiences. If she's somehow never seen Miyazaki's Mononoke Hime, I'd recommend that as an excellent one-evening introduction to animated fantasy adventure.

I'm re-watching Noein at the moment and enjoying it even more than the first two times. Maybe you should give that a try? It's very engrossing from the start, and the young heroine is plucky and brave.

One classic fantasy adventure is Junni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms"), but that story takes a while to get going. Stories that might capture her attention from the outset include Ghost Hunt or Fruits Basket, both of which are legally streamed.

I notice that neither of the shows you report her loving, Tsubasa and Full Moon, were those highlighted in blue a few weeks back like Dennou Coil or Natsume Yuujinchou. What happened with those?
Old 2010-08-06, 21:11   Link #33
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ah well, that's how it is sometimes.

What did she think of Crest of the Stars or Kimi Ni Todoke?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-08-24, 16:22   Link #34
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Well she likes (I don't know about love, pretty strong word) Full Moon and Tsubasa, she likes Dennou Coil and Natsume and his book of friends.

She liked Shion's King and she is enjoying Inuyasha.

School Rumble :thumbsup:

pretty much the only thing she didn't like was Slayers.

I'm trying to move her from girly stuff. She loves the music from Tsubasa so I plan to let her watch .HACK//SIGN
Old 2010-10-22, 19:34   Link #35
TheRunba
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

What do you guys think of Revolutionary Girl Utena?

I heard it's kinda... adult (not like +18)
Old 2010-10-22, 23:39   Link #36
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

All I know about it is that it's supposedly a milestone in shoujo anime.

And I heard it has a bunch of lesbian subtext.

Other than that I have no idea.

Old 2010-10-23, 00:23   Link #37
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

Kimi Ni Todoke was pretty difficult for me to watch because
Spoiler for Ughh!:
Old 2010-10-23, 03:20   Link #38
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
...hmmm.. i just got it in mind... l do have a cousin who will be visiting me this coming christmas up to new year.... well... l got many anime dvds on the house by not all for 12 yeras old guess you can recommend (WHICH I HAVE )

CLANNAD 1 and 2....
Old 2010-10-23, 03:48   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah i wouldn't recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena for your Sister to watch. it's not a 18+ series, though does content some adult themes later on in the series.
Old 2010-10-23, 12:30   Link #40
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think anything in my posting here would be more appealing than Utena. It's very abstract and esoteric with an unusual art style.

How did Erin and Moribito work out? Windy Tales? Tweeny Witches? Noein? If she liked Shion, she'd probably like Daughter of Twenty Faces as well. Also, if she doesn't mind an almost entirely-male show, there's Hikaru no Go.

You might want to browse around this thread as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime, clamp, seinen, shojo, shounen