AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-26, 11:49   Link #1581
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It may be useful to look at the complete list of changes that patch you mentioned included. Maybe we are over thinking it and this particular punctuation change was just one among many minor corrections.
Old 2009-05-26, 12:28   Link #1582
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think this has been at the center of a debate before.

It seems like Ryukishi in a patch changed a red sentece that included a red dot into the same sentece with the dot left white.

This led to some speculations about the importance of punctuation.

Frankly I hope Ryukishi will not resort to such an excuse. Maybe it's me but I think it's kinda lame.
Whoa, wait a second. He never changed a dot from red to white.
It was an end quote (」) that was changed. This was obviously a mistake because it's the only time in the game that a 」 was red. It means that Ryuukishi does care about the coloring of some punctuation, but it's by no means proof that the actual sentence enders are important.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-05-26, 22:45   Link #1583
Rias

@izmosmolnar: Although what you have suggested doesn't really work, you are on a good track. I'm surprised that you are able to see this in ep3...it took me until ep4 to see something like that and to come up with a decent theory.

Of course, the theory is as popular as the "Rokkenjima Syndrome Theory": not very. It can happen, but we all don't want it to be true. Makes the solution boring that way
Old 2009-05-26, 22:51   Link #1584
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Whoa, wait a second. He never changed a dot from red to white.
It was an end quote (」) that was changed. This was obviously a mistake because it's the only time in the game that a 」 was red. It means that Ryuukishi does care about the coloring of some punctuation, but it's by no means proof that the actual sentence enders are important.
Whops, I confused the two things ^^;
But well anyway it's been explained already that this trick doesn't work with japanese.

Old 2009-05-27, 00:05   Link #1585
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

One card that I'm amazed that Battler has played, is throwing back that "If you don't solve every single mistery, the witch side wins" right back at her: "If I solve even one mistery, it's enough proof that you are a quack. Why would you need to lie about something being magical if you claim your magic is real, and how that single proof completely destroys your credibility".
Old 2009-05-27, 00:24   Link #1586
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
One card that I'm amazed that Battler has played, is throwing back that "If you don't solve every single mistery, the witch side wins" right back at her: "If I solve even one mistery, it's enough proof that you are a quack. Why would you need to lie about something being magical if you claim your magic is real, and how that single proof completely destroys your credibility".
Except he already knows she's a liar. Her credibility isn't what's in question here. As long as even one magical thing exists, regardless of whether or not anything else is done by humans, becomes proof that witches exist = Battler loses.

Which is because his win condition is a denial of all magic, not just a denial of her credibility.
Old 2009-05-27, 00:36   Link #1587
chronotrig

Quote:
Whops, I confused the two things ^^;
But well anyway it's been explained already that this trick doesn't work with japanese.
Actually, the whole 'the punctuation is a lie=question' thing does work for several of them if we assume casual speech, but it would sound very awkward in most cases and would be a very messy way to hide secrets.

However, the possibility that Rias suggested in the EP4 thread, that sentences without red punctuation haven't ended, and can therefore mean the opposite, is very possible to do with the Japanese language and has been discussed at length more than a half dozen times on the 2ch thread. Although I personally would be a little let down if that was the answer.

Spoiler for Example of the puntuation trick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Spoiler for possible ep3 spoilers:

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-05-27, 02:27   Link #1588
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
@izmosmolnar: Although what you have suggested doesn't really work, you are on a good track. I'm surprised that you are able to see this in ep3...it took me until ep4 to see something like that and to come up with a decent theory.
Well, thank you for your kind words.
I was just irritated with all the exclamation marks and period dots being blank, in a huge red wall of text (the image I linked is a good example of that), and I just started to think of an explanation why doesn't she include them in the red part.

I mean even Ryukishi presumably has to manually change the text-color, once he was writing the script, then there has to be a reason he goes through the trouble to change the color of punctuality marks in some of the sentences, and don't do the same procedure in others.
That seemed like a good reason, and if the Japanese grammar would work similarly to the european languages (to be honest it could be feasible with all the 4 languages I speak), it could even resolve a huge part of the mystery.

Well, possibly it is just a decoy or something (Not like I really wanted it to be true, since the anime would look a bit silly with such a solution), and I hope they don't hold any significance whatsoever.

Even the possibility Chrono mentions sounds awkward, and most possibly going to earn a few :facepalm: effects from several of us, if it's going to be true.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-27 at 04:47.
Old 2009-05-28, 10:59   Link #1589
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just finished episode 2 and about to start episode 3....

As for the pre-epsidoe tea parties....

Spoiler for Spoilers:

What more mindfucking stuff awaits me in episode 3 I wonder....
Old 2009-05-29, 09:39   Link #1590
Marion
The Great Dine

Hey guys, just something I noticed about the death of the 7 parents - it seems to occur when at least one leaves the group during the night of the 1st twilight.

EP 1- Natsuhi, Eva and Hideyoshi leave early
EP 2- Rosa leaves early.

Spoiler for Minor EP 3:

Pretty odd concidence or simply more or less of a basis for a theory that at least one of the 7 parents influence the 1st twilight in some way.
Old 2009-05-29, 09:46   Link #1591
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well if we accept the theory that only six must die on first twilight then the culprit cannot assault a group whose number is greater than six. So yes probably the fact that noone left early is the reason they survived. However the culprit could have taken them one by one in their bedrooms after the meeting. Actually it would make more sense than assaulting a large group.

There is also to consider if we can trust them when they say they left early. Episode1 might still be accepted, but Rosa in episode2 considering the situation how could she just walk away?

Old 2009-05-29, 10:18   Link #1592
maximilianjenus
[E]

In higurashi we had the killer of the rule X doing rule Y kills (watanagashi-meakashi), I guess now we have the killer of rule Y doing rule X kills (rosa).
Old 2009-05-29, 11:08   Link #1593
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Well if we accept the theory that only six must die on first twilight then the culprit cannot assault a group whose number is greater than six. So yes probably the fact that noone left early is the reason they survived. However the culprit could have taken them one by one in their bedrooms after the meeting. Actually it would make more sense than assaulting a large group.

There is also to consider if we can trust them when they say they left early. Episode1 might still be accepted, but Rosa in episode2 considering the situation how could she just walk away?
True. She could have used some excuse like: "Oh I need to take care of Maria" or something of a similar nature. Then again, why not do that in EP 1 or 3.

There's also something else about that: In EP 1 only those that left survived the 1st twilight. In EP 2 Rosa who left survived the 1st twilight. In EP 3 nobody left but they all survived. If anything, the people who leave are the most suspicious for that reason.
Old 2009-05-29, 15:09   Link #1594
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Side thought about the second twilight. Why did Maria get so upset about wanting to see the rose?

Spoiler for That and other things:
Old 2009-05-29, 15:33   Link #1595
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Spoiler for rose in hte garden:

Old 2009-05-29, 16:32   Link #1596
maximilianjenus
[E]

Spoiler for maria:
Old 2009-05-30, 00:30   Link #1597
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Probably a minor issue but...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Old 2009-05-30, 00:36   Link #1598
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Probably a minor issue but...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Well...you might not want to read the spoiler I'm going to make, since it will be revealed later in the episode anyway.

Spoiler for Read at your own risk, Meo:
Old 2009-05-30, 10:11   Link #1599
maximilianjenus
[E]

Spoiler for spoiler for beatrice:
Old 2009-05-30, 20:27   Link #1600
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I'm current on the translation, but these theories only encompass information from ep1-3 as far as I know. Spoilers through to the end of ep3:

Spoiler for Identity of the 'Staker':

Spoiler for Killer Theories:

Spoiler for The Devil's Roulette:

Spoiler for Natsuhi's Room in ep2:

Spoiler for Things That Must Exist on Rokkenjima:

Spoiler for Kinzo's 'Alchemy Advisor' & the Gold:

Spoiler for The Chapel & Guns in ep1:

Spoiler for Something That Bugs Me About the Typhoon:
Closed Thread