AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-30, 07:22   Link #11801
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
*harisens Chaos*

NANDEYANE!
E=M(C^2)

I think it was said that humans have more stored energy than a Nuclear bomb, only thing is we can't release them all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
By analogy, Kyuubey is useless in the Index Universe.
So the enemy that Fiamma must defeat at all cost was the Entropy of the Universe, and he tried to fix it with completed Holy Right...
Old 2011-06-30, 07:41   Link #11802
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I think Incubator role is fulfilled by Aleister though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
E=M(C^2)

I think it was said that humans have more stored energy than a Nuclear bomb, only thing is we can't release them all at once .
I’m sure E=MC2ing fats will be why magical girls and espers are so slim.
Old 2011-06-30, 08:52   Link #11803
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Dohohoh. You guys might want to check out the Images thread. Also thanks for corrupting my mind with Madoka/Index discussions.

While we're at it, I'm beginning to wonder about a hypothesis, I guess I should post that in the Abilities blah blah blah thread.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2011-06-30, 13:31   Link #11804
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
What I'm curious to know though, is whether this is like a gauge where it empties over time (empty tank = death), or it's fixed according to your lifespan, meaning that it will never decease so long as you're healthy (magic stat points = 100)
The japanese concept of life force is tricky as it doesn't not only refers to "lifespan" but encompasses more things, such as "vitality" or "energy", kinda like how the word "heart" touches the meaning of "soul" and "will" in japan but not so in latin derivated languages.

Vitality or current "energy" (the source of "strength") can be replenished, lifespan can not. Personally I doubt magic would be so devoted if it would actually burn away the user's life with spells (remember that magician's do everything with magic in Index since they hate science; they threat wounds that a hospital could with magic, they do cellphone calls with magic, they don't use elevators and the like). No one would do basic need level of activities with magic if that would actually eat away your remaining days.

BTW, hasn't Styil ran out of "magic power" quite a few times? He has always been described as being exhausted with that and not in the line of "since he burned his mp, he died". Probably there is a point were mana "is done" with eating your "normal energy" and starts earing away at your lifespan, but no character has described to reach that point.
Old 2011-06-30, 14:26   Link #11805
Breidaluk

problably the "mp" they had is the only amount that they can storage inside themselves, and, if they force themselves beyond the limit they can damage their bodies to the point that they can't use magic at the same level they could before. Like Orville, he tried to take too much power of gabriel in his body and in the end he lost the "saint" attribute and was reduced to a normal magician. Its like in Bleach when Ishida was fighting against that captain when he took off his glove he was using an amount of power that he could not control. When I read in portuguese it was written "The fire not only warms but it can also burn". Problably is the same with magicians.
Old 2011-06-30, 17:25   Link #11806
ellifeedn
Thinker

Here's a theory. When an esper tries to use magic, they cannot use mana like a normal magician and must use energy from their lifespan.
Old 2011-06-30, 18:23   Link #11807
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Here's a theory. When an esper tries to use magic, they cannot use mana like a normal magician and must use energy from their lifespan.
Except we already know that the reason why they self destruct is because Magic doesn't work in a body that has been altered with a Personal Reality.
Old 2011-06-30, 19:03   Link #11808
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Hmmm, so it does work like that, and so for each spell they cast, it chips a portion of their life... But it doesn't seem to have an obvious side effect most of the time.... Does it mean humans have a large capacity for power?! Could it be enough to save the Universe from Entropy ?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
BTW, hasn't Styil ran out of "magic power" quite a few times? He has always been described as being exhausted with that and not in the line of "since he burned his mp, he died". Probably there is a point were mana "is done" with eating your "normal energy" and starts earing away at your lifespan, but no character has described to reach that point.
To use more gameplay terms, magicians have both a MagicPoints gauge and a HitPoints gauge. Magicians convert some HP to MP, but if their HP is too low they can't do that since even with MP to use spells if they're out of HP they're dead. No point having MP if it means you lose all your HP in the process. So it's possible to lose all MP but not die in ToaruVerse.

In Stiyl's case (in daihasei festival) he was reduced to low HP from Oriana's attack, and can't convert anymore HP to MP since it's dangerous to his life.

[On a side note, Stiyl sacrificed 'physical defence' (DEF) stat to have a large enough MP gauge (and possibly a high HP->MP converting ratio) to use Innocentius (Pope Class summon). So Stiyl gets KOed easily by attacks if it hits him, compared to other mages like Motoharu or Oriana.
His 'magic defence' stat seems to be unaffected/average.]
Old 2011-06-30, 19:50   Link #11809
NightGale

So will this be the first official mention of Parameter List?:
Quote:
“…If he kills 128 Railguns, Accelerator can shift to Level 6,”

“However, we cannot prepare 128 Railguns.”

“So we prepared 20,000 Sisters, the deteriorated copies of Railgun.”
We all know this one is quite old, is just that i saw this on the anime and now that i got the chance to actually read the source, i find myself awed at how Kamachi had it all just as planned with the Dragon(if you remember the first mention of Dragons, not DRAGON, was the Dragon´s Breath and then later on he created a whole character based on the legend of the knight who killed the dragon ---aka Acqua and if you want to call it like that his counterpart Knight Leader), the Dragon Arm, tree Diagram and Parameter List,xD.

Edit: I forgot to add radio noise, angel fall and Kazakiri to the list of just as planned, he mentioned the idea once and expanded it into something incredible once he got the chance, simply amazing.
Old 2011-06-30, 20:06   Link #11810
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
To use more gameplay terms, magicians have both a MagicPoints gauge and a HitPoints gauge. Magicians convert some HP to MP, but if their HP is too low they can't do that since even with MP to use spells if they're out of HP they're dead. No point having MP if it means you lose all your HP in the process. So it's possible to lose all MP but not die in ToaruVerse.

In Stiyl's case (in daihasei festival) he was reduced to low HP from Oriana's attack, and can't convert anymore HP to MP since it's dangerous to his life.

[On a side note, Stiyl sacrificed 'physical defence' (DEF) stat to have a large enough MP gauge (and possibly a high HP->MP converting ratio) to use Innocentius (Pope Class summon). So Stiyl gets KOed easily by attacks if it hits him, compared to other mages like Motoharu or Oriana.
His 'magic defence' stat seems to be unaffected/average.]
So powerful magicians have longer life spans, which translate to a larger pool?

Also, does it mean that after resting, they can regain HP and MP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGale View Post
So will this be the first official mention of Parameter List?:

We all know this one is quite old, is just that i saw this on the anime and now that i got the chance to actually read the source, i find myself awed at how Kamachi had it all just as planned with the Dragon(if you remember the first mention of Dragons, not DRAGON, was the Dragon´s Breath and then later on he created a whole character based on the legend of the knight who killed the dragon ---aka Acqua and if you want to call it like that his counterpart Knight Leader), the Dragon Arm, tree Diagram and Parameter List,xD.

Edit: I forgot to add radio noise, angel fall and Kazakiri to the list of just as planned, he mentioned the idea once and expanded it into something incredible once he got the chance, simply amazing.
Well, we don't know if it's a spun of the moment thingy, or it was a just as planned all along But yes, small unassuming events in the story do tend to have bigger (though not always greater) importance later in the story. The first six-seven books are really the set up for bigger things to come.
Old 2011-06-30, 20:21   Link #11811
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Also, does it mean that after resting, they can regain HP and MP?
Yes, otherwise they would be running to their death.
Old 2011-06-30, 20:41   Link #11812
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
So powerful magicians have longer life spans, which translate to a larger pool?
Think of "a better conversion rate"; Like exchanging foreign money.

By some descriptions, it might be proper to say that this attribute can be trained.
Old 2011-06-30, 23:03   Link #11813
NightGale

Quote:
Well, we don't know if it's a spun of the moment thingy, or it was a just as planned all along But yes, small unassuming events in the story do tend to have bigger (though not always greater) importance later in the story. The first six-seven books are really the set up for bigger things to come.
Heh, that´s the beauty of it isn´t it? you "can´t" tell if it was intended or if it was truly a spur of the moment thing, it just leaves you with a taste of "just as planned" when you read it... amazing right? countless authors, in all genres and medias, try to use foreshadowing and fail badly or end up having to trash the idea altogether; but Kamachi managed to soften the transition and mix them all into something great, leaving us craving for more and without having to reveal all the cards in his hand,xD.
Old 2011-06-30, 23:54   Link #11814
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGale View Post
Heh, that´s the beauty of it isn´t it? you "can´t" tell if it was intended or if it was truly a spur of the moment thing, it just leaves you with a taste of "just as planned" when you read it... amazing right? countless authors, in all genres and medias, try to use foreshadowing and fail badly or end up having to trash the idea altogether; but Kamachi managed to soften the transition and mix them all into something great, leaving us craving for more and without having to reveal all the cards in his hand,xD.
There is a downside to this style though; it requires the readers to have PATIENCE. Not normal sissy patience; it takes manly bold PATIENCE.

It took 3 volumes for the true purpose of the Radio Noise to be revealed- Anime only fans would never have known it in the last episode of season1, so it would feel even longer. And it took 7 more volumes from then to see it come alive.

It took 12 volumes to see a follow up of the [Book of Law] story in the form of Aiwass. And on a more minor scale, 9 volumes before the Queen's Fleet makes a brief return.

It took 20 volumes, not counting SS(s), to see the follow up of the Dragon-Head of Touma. Inbetween, it was 13 volumes before his memory lost became a topic again.

It took 16 volumes give or take, for the effects of Angel Fall to be fully recognised, and 18 volumes before we see Pendex again.

And I'm certain we'll be waiting 18 volumes (since the festival), before the St Peter's Cross take center stage again

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-07-01 at 00:21.
Old 2011-07-01, 00:50   Link #11815
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
St Peter's Cross
Isn't St. Peter's Cross several hundreds of pieces of marble already?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-07-01, 00:51   Link #11816
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Isn't St. Peter's Cross several hundreds of pieces of marble already?
I heard Necessarius recovered it.
Old 2011-07-01, 00:56   Link #11817
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
I heard Necessarius recovered it.
Then Laura is going to use it >__>

But Bro Shiage will end up taking a piss on it without realizing what it is, rendering it ineffective.

Another Yandere will be added to Hamazura's collection.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-07-01, 01:01   Link #11818
leukrota

Quote:
There is a downside to this style though; it requires the readers to have PATIENCE. Not normal sissy patience; it takes manly bold PATIENCE.

It took 3 volumes for the true purpose of the Radio Noise to be revealed- Anime only fans would never have known it in the last episode of season1, so it would feel even longer. And it took 7 more volumes from then to see it come alive.

It took 12 volumes to see a follow up of the [Book of Law] story in the form of Aiwass. And on a more minor scale, 9 volumes before the Queen's Fleet makes a brief return.

It took 20 volumes, not counting SS(s), to see the follow up of the Dragon-Head of Touma. Inbetween, it was 13 volumes before his memory lost became a topic again.

It took 16 volumes give or take, for the effects of Angel Fall to be fully recognised, and 18 volumes before we see Pendex again.

And I'm certain we'll be waiting 18 volumes (since the festival), before the St Peter's Cross take center stage again
It does take patience indeed...

Don't forget how Mikoto's fans have been waiting for her to join the fray, and it seems like she's almost there, but still not quite.

Ollerus got introduced on SS2 and then made a cameo appearance on volume 22. It will probably still be a while until he "reveals" himself.

Also, we are still waiting to see a follow up on Himegami. Vampires were introduced with little explanation. Later we learned that Himegami is a gemstone, but it was just a tease. I got the feeling she'll play an important role later, but just how much later? ...

Or maybe she'll just get her own manga, where it will be a running gag that she does amazing things and nobody notices. Not even Aleister, the ultimate peeper... he'll be too busy observing Index biting Touma. Himegami will even make a vampire friend (thanks to the cross' magic) and she'll try to introduce her to her friends, without much success, even Tsuchimikado and Pierce won't pay attention as they'll be arguing whether vampire maids or vampire nurses are hotter... Ok, now I'm just letting my imagination run too much.
Old 2011-07-01, 02:14   Link #11819
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Spoiler for Random translations. Need polishing:
Old 2011-07-01, 02:39   Link #11820
chrono9472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Then Laura is going to use it >__>

But Bro Shiage will end up taking a piss on it without realizing what it is, rendering it ineffective.

Another Yandere will be added to Hamazura's collection.
NOTE:just a warning: this involves sexual terms so don't read if you don't want to(not sure if it matters that much though..)

no way...shiage already has enough yanderes in mugino,that leaves touma and accel........but accel also already has worst as a troll, but now we have stiyl as another competitor along with touma.....stiyl's interactions with laura are some of the best moments of the novel for me but i'm 1000000% sure that laura will 10x bring more misfortune to touma's life than other girls.........how about a threesome between them?...actually i take that back how about a scene where laura pisses all four of them off and they start chasing her with there respective weapons(stiyl-fire sword, touma-fist,accel-black wings,shiage-...something),which ends with all of them in a....fivesome?(not sure what else to call it) but while they are in the middle of the you-know-what takitsubo comes and wants to take part in it for shiage along with mugino,awaki and worst(the last two for accel of course).

But of course there's no way this is how it will end and it doesn't. Because somehow the misaka imoutos found out about whats going and want to take part in it aswell and this continues as more people find out and want to join in except for maybe the nuns but i'm too lazy to continue and i'm sure you got my message a long time ago:P.

Note 2: sorry i couldn't resist replying to this..:[

maybe i should post this in the fanfic thread to see if someone actually writes something like this.

i'll go back to lurking the forums for new information now

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Spoiler for Random translations. Need polishing:
Is that from the love letter SS?

oh and i've read your translations of the to aru novels and wanted to thank you for it

Last edited by chrono9472; 2011-07-01 at 03:12.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen