AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2021-07-27, 09:57   Link #1
zeando
maybenotimome

What other forums do you visit?

In this internet world moving more and more toward chats, and other fast communication spaces, where tons of people cram together, where any information and discussion is born and dies worse than milk, and where the feel of being observed, censured and spoon-fed by the big platforms keeps growing, it may come a time when more slow forms of communication, and smaller communities, like forums, may be appreciated once again.

So in an attempt to get a wider view of the still surviving forums, in this current age of quickly posted and quickly forgotten communication.
What other forums do you still visit or know about?

If you could also specify the general area of focus, it could be useful, like:
[News&Politics] [Sports] [Entertainment&Series&Shows] [Science&Technology] [Videogames] [Anime&Mangas]

~~~
Animesuki is for me about the last forum I still visit sometimes, all the others have either died, broken and vanished, or become too toxic to bother.
Of the old forums I used to visit there are:
onemangaforums - [Mangas, mainly the big popular series] it went through a lot of events and rebirths, but it looks definitely dead now (once the admins give up on their own forum all hope is lost)
myanimelist - [Anime&Manga] it was never a good space, far more spam and low quality posts than activity on series (the forums about manga series never really picked up)
orojackson - [Anime&Manga: one piece] it grew quickly, it was very active and bustling, but it died as fast
It's been ages since I've been on a videogame forum, really miss those. (the forums of gamefaq have always been a joke, they are more of a Q&A desk service, than a forum of fans)

About forum rules:
As to avoid falling into 1.5 Do not solicit our members, posting the name of the forum, without a link to it, may be enough, for anyone interested to go look it up themselves.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 11:37   Link #2
monsta666

I still check out the forums of fansubTV. It is a dead forum which focuses on anime. As of late it is more a blog channel than anything else. I used to go on the Doomstead Diner which was a political forum. That site is no more due to the ill health of the admin. I do think a major blowout between the two most active mods there also played a part in its demise. I think the forum did have a rebirth but that one is not so active.

I think animenewsnetwork still has a semi-active forum and the posts there are of a better than MAL. Not sure I share your optimism over forums becoming popular again but I hope you are right. You just don't get the same quality responses on chat services.

Reddit or discord might be your best bet for gaming forums these days although considering discord a forum is probably stretching the definition of a forum. It is probably just a modern version of irc chat.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 12:23   Link #3
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I'm still fairly active on forums. I find that nowadays, the best forums are the ones with a narrower focus.

There's Beast's Lair, 17th Shard, CBR, Arlong Park, Primetimer, MAL, Spacebattles, Sufficient Velocity Resetera,etc.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 19:03   Link #4
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
Not sure I share your optimism over forums becoming popular again but I hope you are right. You just don't get the same quality responses on chat services.
It's not necessarily optimism in a comeback of forums, but rather the feel that social medias are getting closer to their final rotting stage. Once more people will start getting disgusted and leave them, if they will, either they will go away entirely from internet (or just from public spaces), or they may discover there existed an internet before the socials. (i talk mainly about the phone people, who hardly know how to use a pc, and who are the main drive of the social medias populations)
If that happens, the more classic and less marketing intoxicated forums may be among the spaces getting more attention again, or other new forms may instead.

But yeah, chats by design aren't made to have detailed discussions, the more people in them the more of a stadium cheer they become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
Reddit or discord might be your best bet for gaming forums these days although considering discord a forum is probably stretching the definition of a forum. It is probably just a modern version of irc chat.
I would be wary about also calling reddit a forum. Reddit is like a midway between a forum and a chat, a forum with the rhythm of a chat. ... or maybe the closer comparison to reddit, is a nested twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
There's Beast's Lair, 17th Shard, CBR, Arlong Park, Primetimer, MAL, Spacebattles, Sufficient Velocity Resetera,etc.
Of those I already knew arlongpark, that's an historical forum at this point. (and also mal obv)

Beast's Lair, a Type-Moon focused forum? Pretty funny how these niches manage to remain so active for so long.
17th Shard, hmm ok, an author fan forum.
CBR, the comic books forum or the honda motorcycle forum? (the comic book one is pretty impressive)
Primetimer, oh, tv shows.
Spacebattles, multipurpose?
Sufficient Velocity, also multipurpose it seems, with more attention to rp and the creative side? Ah, it's an offshot of spacebattles, thx SB wiki.
A shame so many forums have taken on the xenforo format, it's pretty hideous in it's habit of hiding useful informations, almost dumbed down for the phone experience.
Resetera, oh a neogaf offshot, that's an other ancient name. Curious design btw.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 22:29   Link #5
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

By far the forums I lurk the most now are kiwifarms, as my main interest nowadays are vtubers. Nice balance there in that it isn't a hugbox like reddit, nor is it mainly a contrarian board like /vt/ (or /jp/ before it lol). I still visit all of them, and heck I probably still spend most of the time in 4chan because /ggg/ is the only Gura focused place in the internet outside of discord... but still I find the most relevant info and news about vtubers in general comes from kiwifarms.

I visit Soompi for Kdrama discussion from time to time, and gamefaqs forums for certain niche game discussions. But yeah, I avoid 'fast' discussion places (heck even discord is too fast for me), so I prefer these slower but more detailed discussion places.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 22:48   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The blu-ray.com has their own forum with similar format to Asuki. Obviously it's a forum to discuss movies & physical media but they also have other topics, including anime.
Old 2021-08-27, 16:03   Link #7
kanoguti

No where. I don't even visit animesuki anymore.

Forums are basically dead and everyone online is young and ruthless.
Old 2021-10-15, 15:49   Link #8
DarkShame2

Used to be pretty active on forums years ago, but it's just a few anime forums like here and animesuki casually.
Old 2021-10-16, 02:08   Link #9
Jaden

Agree that Reddit doesn't really count...just not the same. 4chan is still 4chan but that's not really it, either. All the real forums seem to be in decline.

Strangely, I think I've had the most forum-like experience on Discord channels. That's where a lot of the discussion-oriented niche communities seem to be at.
Old 2021-10-16, 06:44   Link #10
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Myanimelist forums - really active place, and I have many friends there to have a friendly chat with, we chat almost everyday.

MTG Nexus forums - if you're a magic the gathering fan, please visit us. My name on this site is The Fluff, and I help maintain the image gallery.

MTG Salvation forums - almost dead website, although it used to be a hugely busy place. I keep alive the Azorius Titan thread where some mtg players of the deck still post. They are friendly and great players.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2021-10-16 at 07:04.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 07:19   Link #11
Johnny Dy

Bakabt index
Old 2022-01-21, 16:15   Link #12
sirius707

not many. I like old looking forums like this one, and few are active.
sirius707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-27, 02:36   Link #13
Inverno
Fun for all, all for fun

Very few, like gamespot (this one is so integrated with the site you can barely classify it as a forum though) and resetera for videogames.
Forums in general have been in decline for a while now, ever since the very first facebook era people started to move there, then it was a slow but consistent fall.