AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 71 42.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 20.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 12.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 11.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 3.61%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.60%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-21, 18:48   Link #221
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so did the band disappear, or did they just leave? i was a little confused when i watched it.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-06-21, 18:52   Link #222
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
I personally liked that Maeda tried to write a script for an anime. To me, it seems that most creative people in Japan nowadays are thinking: "I'll just make a manga/game/light novel, and when it becomes popular, it'll get an anime adaptation." If you look at upcoming anime, more and more of them are just adaptations, and I've checked. For the last year, we're lucky to get three original anime series a season. I think we had two this season.
Aniplex invited Maeda to create Angel Beats! (their attempt to feed off the popularity of Key) and not the other way around. Ideally, we'd like fresh blood in the industry and more original works, but creators have little control over that. Many others would probably jump at the opportunity if given a chance.

Quote:
Can we all just agree that this suffered the same fate as Umineko? It appears that if you do not prepare for 5 years Taking in consideration how fucking long Fairy tail took to come out for example. Shows of this epically vast caliber will simply choke with an insufficiently allocated budget.
While both suffered from inadequate length, the situations are very different. With Angel Beats!, the onus was on the writer to invent a concept that fit within 13 episodes (similarly, people writing original OVAs, movies, and 26 episode series have to create concepts that fit within the allocated time. If you're allocated 26 episodes, you don't plan a movie length scenario), whereas with Umineko, they were forced into adapting Ep.1-4 of the original work.
Old 2010-06-21, 18:55   Link #223
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

They decided to call it quits.

@jarmel
There are still those who go under the indirect tutelage of the Masters, but some of them are very elitist (failing to connect to other people intentionally using complicated techniques that only the most experienced musicians can relate to) to the point that they affect their industry.

Anyway, I won't elaborate this further in this thread because it would veer the thread out of topic.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-06-21, 19:35   Link #224
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
They decided to call it quits.

@jarmel
There are still those who go under the indirect tutelage of the Masters, but some of them are very elitist (failing to connect to other people intentionally using complicated techniques that only the most experienced musicians can relate to) to the point that they affect their industry.

Anyway, I won't elaborate this further in this thread because it would veer the thread out of topic.
That's certainly true. My point with the previous post was just to state that using ONLY someone's satisfaction or connection level in regards to a work is not a good way of critiquing any sort of art or literature. I personally like some crappy bands but I know they're crappy and understand why. Like you said though, this is going to veer sharply off in this thread.
Old 2010-06-21, 20:25   Link #225
Francismeunier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
so did the band disappear, or did they just leave? i was a little confused when i watched it.
To clear it up.....when those twins and Hisako looked at 2 guitars of Yui and Iwasawa....it was to clear up their resolutions. So they are really gone to a better life where their desire is to be a band once again and so also have someone like Otonashi be their fan again no matter who he is (still baffles me that so many left at once). There is really a beauty in all this with reincarnation as a theme. I love that but I feel that Yui left a deep scar in me by mentioning being paralyzed by a car back in episode 10..... even now it still kind of plagues me knowing perfectly this happens IRL to other people.
Old 2010-06-21, 21:27   Link #226
Random32
Also a Lolicon

@Jarmel
how did those old dead guys revolutionize music?
as a guy that plays piano, i have gone through lots of classical music
i don't see how anything that Mozart, etc did was revolutionary
Old 2010-06-21, 22:46   Link #227
OkamiNoKaze

Wow, crazy episode. Those fighting the shadows were awesome. T.K. made me crack up a number of times, especially his not knowing what "knocking on heaven's Door" meant. Also Yuri's meeting The "Architect" Yuri shows yet again in breaking the fourth wall moment, that she is not Haruhi, by turning down the offer to be "God" While It's sad to see Girls Dead Monster go, they're really not needed now that they don't need to distract NPCs to get meal tickets.
Old 2010-06-22, 00:02   Link #228
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
They disappeared or died and get recycled in the afterlife hopefully for a more positive future.

Disappear=death
Old 2010-06-22, 01:12   Link #229
jinnous

Episode was all over the place for me...Although it cleared up a few things.

1. The fact that GirlDeMo were REALLY IN FACT, a bunch of super side characters.
2. Yuri is the biggest idiot of the SSS ("omg all this time i never realized...omg! Kanade-chan be my BFF *hugs*"
3. Kanade can indeed take on an army.
4. There are no romantic developments other than some from a guy we saw for 5-8 minutes. (Maybe there's some in last episode? A heartfelt confession that spans over the course of 5 minutes?)
5. Christ was not the final boss.

Don't get me wrong here I liked the episode and the series, only that with a tight schedule there was only so much they could do. Now here's to hope for an ending with a pairing even if it's not explicit.

Oh...and when Yuri woke up, I really thought the "coma-theory" was proven, only to be shot down a few seconds later.
Old 2010-06-22, 01:25   Link #230
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnous View Post
Episode was all over the place for me...Although it cleared up a few things.

1. The fact that GirlDeMo were REALLY IN FACT, a bunch of super side characters.
2. Yuri is the biggest idiot of the SSS ("omg all this time i never realized...omg! Kanade-chan be my BFF *hugs*"
3. Kanade can indeed take on an army.
4. There are no romantic developments other than some from a guy we saw for 5-8 minutes. (Maybe there's some in last episode? A heartfelt confession that spans over the course of 5 minutes?)
5. Christ was not the final boss.

Don't get me wrong here I liked the episode and the series, only that with a tight schedule there was only so much they could do. Now here's to hope for an ending with a pairing even if it's not explicit.

Oh...and when Yuri woke up, I really thought the "coma-theory" was proven, only to be shot down a few seconds later.
That second one I have to disagree with since she is with a group that are a bunch of idiots. She was the first person to realize she is a normal person and not an Angel while everybody else think so. Even Yuzuru didn't realize it first. At least I know she wants to be great friends with her and choose cloths that would add more style kind of like an older sister would for their younger siblings.
Old 2010-06-22, 02:03   Link #231
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnous View Post
Yeah man i know it. I was like: "Oh snap they were in a coma all along!"
I feel like they put that scene in there just to mess with me.
Old 2010-06-22, 02:36   Link #232
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Yeah man i know it. I was like: "Oh snap they were in a coma all along!"
I feel like they put that scene in there just to mess with me.
lol they had many turns in this episode.

Imagine if:

1. Yuri turned completely to an NPC
2. Decided to take the GOD offer
3. Disappeared after seeing her siblings
4. The coma theory

If any of these options would have been picked their would be a compelely different story.
Old 2010-06-22, 02:46   Link #233
Mamma Aiuto

Exactly the members of GirlDeMo, Hisako,Irie and Sekine disappeared or died.
But Yusa was not obvious.If she bave been alive, in next ep OP she will be alone.
Old 2010-06-22, 03:13   Link #234
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Are you talking about Noda?

Quote:
Actually I was going "WTF?! Key you su-- Awesome. Screwing with the theorist heads like that."

c(u.u c) Engrave the moeblob name into your MEMORY! The name Sekine.... What was her last name again? :O?
Old 2010-06-22, 03:13   Link #235
Francismeunier
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
They disappeared or died and get recycled in the afterlife hopefully for a more positive future.

Disappear=death
I don't agree with the whole disappear=death. I would go more for disappear=another life as a human in this series itself.
Old 2010-06-22, 03:24   Link #236
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
I don't agree with the whole disappear=death. I would go more for disappear=another life as a human in this series itself.
To me it is like death because they essential change into a different character. When they disappear they will most likely forget all their experiences from their previous life and the afterlife. Without overcoming their past obsticles and without memory of forming bonds in the afterlife their character will be different.

If they keep their personality but live in an alternative where they have happy lives then I'll consider it recycling and living on, but if they don't then they died.
Old 2010-06-22, 03:30   Link #237
AC730

I don't think either are correct until we see the end.

For the time being I do agree with the disappearance equaling death due to the fact a person's consciousness is what truly defines who we are as it contains our persona's, memories and just so much more things. As they carry though into this 'next phase' if you will as part of this 'simulation' in school. Their consciousness still technically exists with them. Although Otanashi lost part of his memory, he still retained his personality and all that jazz.

Now disappearing is moving onto unknown. We don't know what this next phase is so this is why I can't say which it is yet. But assuming that is is reincarnation as another human, do you lose your consciousness that you had when carry over? I assume so, unless there is some other nature explained like a human soul for that fact. I can only assume death when you disappear because if you have another life, you will gain different memories, different experiences and therefore changes you differently. I think just that difference is a factor saying that if you become someone else, you aren't yourself. You've truly lost yourself forever. You aren't you anymore.

This was what Yuri was stressing this very episode and to me it's like death because you know you won't be the same. It feels like a fate worse than death because you want the way that you are when you move on but when taken into a new life, like a reset button you lose your memory, your personality and more. It's like completely resetting a game or computer. When you start up, you start over. It's like it died. I'm not saying it's equal but it's extremely similar. Yes you can recreate a path in game similar or exact you your original one and rebuild the computer exactly but with factors like time ever changing, you can never replicate another person's consciousness (The consciousness is very complex and replicating it would prove to be almost impossible, I'm saying this with the hope that technology cannot allow this in any time, because I am totally against this.)

That's my 'extremist view'... But until the last episode, my words aren't completely solid. That's my take.
Old 2010-06-22, 03:53   Link #238
Seitsuki
Onee!

Well to quote another book I've read.. "only the soul matters in the end".

It doesn't matter what things you have gone through, or what situations you end up facing. Even if your entire existence in this life is utterly different from what it would have been, in another turn of the wheel, in the end... faced with the same decisions, you will make the same choices, because that is who you are. And that part of you, the very core of your existence, will never change. Only your circumstances, and the chance to do something different had only fate been kinder. Which, I think- no, hope- is the ultimate purpose of this world. To cleanse you of your past sorrows, and prepare you for another go, another turn of the wheel. In which case the whole thing wouldn't have been such a bad experience after all.

here's to hoping.
Old 2010-06-22, 04:02   Link #239
AC730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Well to quote another book I've read.. "only the soul matters in the end".

It doesn't matter what things you have gone through, or what situations you end up facing. Even if your entire existence in this life is utterly different from what it would have been, in another turn of the wheel, in the end... faced with the same decision, you will make the same choice, because that is who you are. And that part of you, the very core of your existence, will never change. Only your circumstances, and the chance to do something different had only fate had been kinder. Which, I think- no, hope- is the ultimate purpose of this world. To cleanse you of your past sorrows, and prepare you for another go, another turn of the wheel. In which case the whole thing wouldn't have been such a bad experience after all.

here's to hoping.
Ah see there~? That's the other take, assuming that fate allows you to revert to who you were. Some other force of nature that allows you to retain who and what exactly you were. Is this plausible? Maybe... History repeats itself? Due to this phenomenon maybe... But that's really another off-topic and touchy subject for me. With my explanation I also talked about this being a factor, but we haven't seen any results so I took a more realistic approach if you will assuming there is some sort of reincarnation result. I'm actually hoping for some simulation or coma result. But I think a 'new life' (or coma with memory loss) with the soul twist will have a better effect where characters have a hint of recognition of each other with what happened in Angel Beats!
Old 2010-06-22, 04:13   Link #240
Knightrunner

Once they recarnate they will lose their memories, but I hope they keep their feelings that they earned in the afterlife and carried it on to recarnation. If they keep their same personalities and act as their character in different circumstances then it is not really death.

If they don't disappearing is almost equal to death. Yurippe does a good ramble about it in episode 12
Closed Thread