AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-29, 05:32   Link #261
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Hey guys, I'm just in the middle of rewatching Bakemonogatari, and I discovered that I haven't scoured the series of its numerous references and stuff that "normal" people would overlook. To those who can answer these questions, I'd appreciate your knowledge.

So here it goes:
1. Is it possible that Hitagi's mother is a member of the Aum Shinrikyo? (Speculative question only.)

2. What does each of the five opening credits of Bakemonogatari tell us regarding the featured character?

2.a. Why is Hitagi depicted as a giantess in the middle of the city in staple stable?

2.b. Does the many Hachikujis in Kaerimichi mean something else? I think it describes that Mayoi does not know that many people and depicts every single person as a version of herself.

2.c. The credits for ambivalent world is quite straightforward, actually. So let's skip that one.

2.d. Same goes for Ren'ai Circulation. Skip.

2.e. Tsubasa's sugar sweet nightmare is probably the most intriguing of all the credits. What does the pyramid symbolize? (Does it represent the Araragi-Tsubasa-Hitagi-Shinobu relationship?) What does the different countries mean? Are they just random countries? And finally, what do the routes written on Tsubasa's body mean?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 09:14   Link #262
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
So here it goes:
1. Is it possible that Hitagi's mother is a member of the Aum Shinrikyo? (Speculative question only.)
No idea.

Quote:
2. What does each of the five opening credits of Bakemonogatari tell us regarding the featured character?
Hitagi OP: Staplers... That's it
Mayoi OP: Infinite Mayoi Works by Itagaki Shin.
Suruga OP: Yuri everywhere
Nadeko OP: KAMI-SAMA ARAGATO
Tsubasa OP: RAEP

In other words, its just Shaft being Shaft.

Quote:
2.a. Why is Hitagi depicted as a giantess in the middle of the city in staple stable?
No reason.

Quote:
2.b. Does the many Hachikujis in Kaerimichi mean something else? I think it describes that Mayoi does not know that many people and depicts every single person as a version of herself.
Nope. It means nothing.

Quote:
2.e. Tsubasa's sugar sweet nightmare is probably the most intriguing of all the credits. What does the pyramid symbolize? (Does it represent the Araragi-Tsubasa-Hitagi-Shinobu relationship?) What does the different countries mean? Are they just random countries? And finally, what do the routes written on Tsubasa's body mean?
I call it shaft being shaft. When you are watching Shaft animation, you must not take everything seriously.
Old 2011-11-29, 09:38   Link #263
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I call it shaft being shaft. When you are watching Shaft animation, you must not take everything seriously.
But after seeing the dozens of references in Puella Magi Madoka Magica compiled by the people from the PMMM Wiki, I have to doubt that.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2011-11-29, 10:11   Link #264
Shikijin

These OPs reflect more what Shaft thought about the books that what Nisio actually put in the books.

About why Hitagi is a giant in the first OP, it's because of a pun with omoi (thoughts/heavy). As Hitagi's foot drops, "omoi" is the word said by the singer. In the lyrics it means "thoughts", but video-wise it means "heavy".

As for OP5, the pyramids were cat ears, you can see it better in the first broadcasted version of the OP. Countries? Do you mean the real world backgrounds? I thought that was just Shaft's city. The routes are possibly train routes, anyway it doesn't matter.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 11:09   Link #265
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
These OPs reflect more what Shaft thought about the books that what Nisio actually put in the books.

About why Hitagi is a giant in the first OP, it's because of a pun with omoi (thoughts/heavy). As Hitagi's foot drops, "omoi" is the word said by the singer. In the lyrics it means "thoughts", but video-wise it means "heavy".

As for OP5, the pyramids were cat ears, you can see it better in the first broadcasted version of the OP. Countries? Do you mean the real world backgrounds? I thought that was just Shaft's city. The routes are possibly train routes, anyway it doesn't matter.
If I remember this right, the final version of the Tsubasa Cat OP had names of countries flashed on the screen in true Shaft style (I remember this since mine was in the list and it isn't that usual to see it )
Old 2011-11-29, 11:18   Link #266
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
If I remember this right, the final version of the Tsubasa Cat OP had names of countries flashed on the screen in true Shaft style (I remember this since mine was in the list and it isn't that usual to see it )
Well, Hanekawa wanted to do a world-wide trip once she graduated.
Old 2011-11-29, 18:54   Link #267
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
But after seeing the dozens of references in Puella Magi Madoka Magica compiled by the people from the PMMM Wiki, I have to doubt that.
Except most of faust reference, most of the foreshadowing stuffs were done by Inukare world, not shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Actually, this makes so much sense. Omoi~~~~~ (*big foot)
Old 2011-11-29, 19:37   Link #268
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

How about Tsubasa being naked most of the time in sugar sweet nightmare?
Does this represent

Spoiler for welp:

Old 2011-11-30, 00:41   Link #269
Xenosnake
Badass

Quote:
Does this represent

Spoiler for welp:
Naw, sex just sells.
Xenosnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 03:33   Link #270
Shikijin

Quote:
Does this represent

Spoiler for welp:
That's what Shaft made it seem, either the father or the cat, but the truth is simply that at the time not much background about Hanekawa was known. When Nekomonogatari Kuro came out, things turned out to be different from what it was imagined. Shaft should have played it safer.
Old 2011-11-30, 03:41   Link #271
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

These discoveries are somewhat disappointing, actually. :P
I expected the anime series to be more playful on ideas.

Old 2011-11-30, 05:05   Link #272
Shikijin

Quote:
These discoveries are somewhat disappointing, actually. :P
I expected the anime series to be more playful on ideas.
The anime did a good job, but there is a limit on how much liberties Shaft can take, or else the viewer will be puzzled when he sees the adaptation of the sequels.
Old 2011-11-30, 19:59   Link #273
Romanticide

Spoiler for Nise and Shinobu:
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 05:32   Link #274
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
Spoiler for Nise and Shinobu:
At least, we will finally know who her seiyuu is.
Old 2011-12-02, 02:50   Link #275
HasuMasu
*Artist

No we don't, who is it then?
Old 2011-12-02, 03:00   Link #276
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Aya Hirano. At least according to the Drama CD.

Old 2011-12-02, 03:13   Link #277
zato_1one

Quote:
^ Aya Hirano. At least according to the Drama CD.
It's not confirmed if she is still Shinobu's seiyuu in Nise and Kizu.
Old 2011-12-02, 03:52   Link #278
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

We can only speculate for now if she would get shafted (lol) or not.

Old 2012-01-14, 22:20   Link #279
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

can any1 teach me how to watch this series?? I have tried watching Bake/Nise once and dropped it and watch again after the series ended and it still turns me off.I dont really understand their talking at all and the story line.
Old 2012-01-14, 22:49   Link #280
HasuMasu
*Artist

If you're not into manzai then I guess it's somewhat of a lost cause.

Tags
q&a