Notices

Old 2011-03-12, 14:33   Link #581
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Now now, let's not BECOME one of them.
You misunderstood, [sarcasm]I was holding an evolutionary perspective in my comment, in the sense that they do volunarily remove themselves, as well as their peers, from the gene pool faster than homo sapiens, but it would benefit our species if our link to apes elimination picks up pace[/sarcasm]

Anyway, back on topic, I don't see any new reports on Fukushima, but as things stand it seems that news networks in Europe (judging from UK, German, and Greek coverage) tried really hard to imitate Sankaku Complex, probably just showing material destruction was not enough for them
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:33   Link #582
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

@SaintessHeart: Plus, it doesn't help that this (translation?) is very poorly written. Apparently "Koreans in Korea hate Koreans."

I'm half-Korean and I know what Japan did. Forgive and forget, people.

@Malkuth: *laughs* Playing the old vocabulary card to slip out, huh? *big stare* I was only being sarcastic too, not to worry.;D
Old 2011-03-12, 14:34   Link #583
Zetsubo
著述遮断

I sincerely hope that ass of a prime minister gets his act together and pulls Japan through this tragedy.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:35   Link #584
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

pretty much most smartest response on nuclear description

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:36   Link #585
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I sincerely hope that ass of a prime minister gets his act together and pulls Japan through this tragedy.
I don't think it will be easy for him. Their political situation is pretty much like the US, with their opponents looking forwards to filibuster every move he makes, and insult every action he take instead of helping him amend mistakes if he makes one.

The King should make a national address and ask for the people to stand together. That will actually help.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:44   Link #586
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
calm down i see something worse than that like this

Spoiler for .:

really there is bad people on this planet.
At the end of the day people are people no matter where you live or your country. its sick to wish terrible things on others and quoting karma as an excuse for ignorance.Those people who wished terrible things on the japanese are lucky they did not have a family member who was killed i am sure they would soon change there tune and will wise up! This is directed at the ignorant few that posted ignorant veiws on facebook and not all Americans, its there sense of moral/pride in away that they do not know the real meaning of what true american pride is. They also forget that this sense of pride that they think they have is not even the american way.. They forget the four freedoms that we hold deer, that we think should be anywhere in the world, the words of US President Franklin D. Roosevelt on January 6, 1941.

The third is freedom from want—which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants—everywhere in the world.

The fourth is freedom from fear—which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor—anywhere in the world.

Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:44   Link #587
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

More on the effects of the quake around the world: In Peru, the mayor of the town of Pisco says tsunami waves destroyed about 300 houses as they swept into the town square - about 400 people spent the night in tents.

U.S. Air Force personnel load a pallet onto a U.S. Air Force C-17A Globe Master III at March Air Reserve Base, California, in this handout image obtained March 12, 201

Chris Meyers, is reporting that thousands of people are being scanned for radiation exposure

Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin says Japan has asked for an increase in energy supplies

Fukushima Prefecture still under "orange" alert for a tsunami possible

Old 2011-03-12, 14:47   Link #588
Zetsubo
著述遮断

The emperor still carries a lot of respect from what I understand.

The imperial house can really help out for moral support.
Old 2011-03-12, 14:49   Link #589
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
pretty much most smartest response on nuclear description

That guy also supported with the same passion in 2000 that by last year we will have flying cars, colonize Mars, and eradicate cancer with genetic engineering

As for LULZ, he said that wind does not stop at 12 miles, but it would be safe to evacuate a 20 mile zone, so apparently wind stops at 20, not 12
Old 2011-03-12, 14:55   Link #590
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That guy also supported with the same passion in 2000 that by last year we will have flying cars, colonize Mars, and eradicate cancer with genetic engineering

As for LULZ, he said that wind does not stop at 12 miles, but it would be safe to evacuate a 20 mile zone, so apparently wind stops at 20, not 12
well that person is bit geek on science fiction (he also self proclaim game/comic/ bit of anime Otaku IIRC)

other than that he pretty much one of the most respected physicist both in serious science community and commoner like me (considering he very socialize especially to nerd/otaku/geek)

Old 2011-03-12, 14:55   Link #591
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:

Now I'm just worried if anyone famous died....
Why would you be worried?
Old 2011-03-12, 14:56   Link #592
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:

He knows his stuff... but is a bit of an entertainer.

He does it that way because the public wants it that way.

Dry facts don't really excite people.

Gotta keep them excited... OOOOOOO science .... OOOOO

Dr. Kaku does have some good explanations tho... in this case tho... (listen to his voice) he was too much into his "TLC presenter excite the audience mode"
Old 2011-03-12, 14:57   Link #593
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Radiation leaks from Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant

According to Reuters, they will be distributing KI pills to the people living there.

Those stuff aren't cheap. Each dose costs around $1,000 from what I heard in the military - and they are not foolproof because they only prevent the radioactive iodine from entering the lungs. One still has to don CBR gear with rebreathers, and that by itself only shields at least 90% of the radiation.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 15:04   Link #594
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

More on power supply problems: Tokyo Electric Power Company, one of Japan's major suppliers, has suggested it could carry out intentional power outages on a rotating basis to tackle the problem, Kyodo reports

Old 2011-03-12, 15:04   Link #595
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
well that person is bit geek on science fiction (he also self proclaim game/comic/ bit of anime Otaku IIRC)

other than that he pretty much one of the most respected physicist both in serious science community and commoner like me (considering he very socialize especially to nerd/otaku/geek)
Being popular, doesn't mean he is not over-exagerating; he also brought as an example that accident with a similar reactor in the US (I think), that had zero casualties, and then skipped all the important details to invoked the apocalyptic scenes from Ukraine, which is unrelated. Come on, even if he has the knowledge, that interview was just to scare people.

To clarify, I'm not saying that the situation is not dangerous, but I am amazed at the focus media abroad put on a potential threat, that has been dealt with (with respect to civilian casualties at least), compared to whole cities disappearing from the face of the planet, with half the population unaccounted for. I dread that reporters will forget this nuclear holocaust if the missing wash up dead in the shore next morning
Old 2011-03-12, 15:06   Link #596
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Kaku is a hack.

Take it from someone with a Phd in theoretical physics.

The guy's a performer, nothing more.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 15:15   Link #597
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://sisinmaru.blog17.fc2.com/

maru is safe

Old 2011-03-12, 15:19   Link #598
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Kaku is a hack.

Take it from someone with a Phd in theoretical physics.

The guy's a performer, nothing more.
Given his Alma mater (Harvard and UC Berkley) he isn't that much of a Quack

However, Dr Kaku hasn't gotten any notable peer awards and accolades and im not sure he publishes papers of impressive repute.

However. He does write a lot of "easy to read books" and seems to focus on "bringing science to the public" as opposed to working hermit like in his lab.

Kind of like pop science... besides if he was really a quack, then someone in the know would publicly take him down a long time ago.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2011-03-12, 15:21   Link #599
bayoab

Quote:
Being popular, doesn't mean he is not over-exagerating; he also brought as an example that accident with a similar reactor in the US (I think), that had zero casualties, and then skipped all the important details to invoked the apocalyptic scenes from Ukraine, which is unrelated. Come on, even if he has the knowledge, that interview was just to scare people.
3 mile island is the proper comparison. Chernobyl is not. He's very clearly playing the fear card.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 15:26   Link #600
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well kaku is co-founder of String field theory which one of the biggest topic that science want to find out

but for now he pretty much a "communicator" and "popularizer" of science.

doesn't mean he simply random person that know science

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami