Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-20, 03:51   Link #21
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarducky
Does that happen in the TV series? I hope not.
I would suggest that you not expect anthing from the movie to happen in the TV series. The movie and the TV series do not tell the same story. If you think of them as the same, you are going to get VERY confused.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 22:44   Link #22
brand
Deadly Ninja of Doom!

Utena trailers?

I don't know where to put this so here it goes.

I'm looking for some Utena trailers (tv/movie) to put in a project for school. I have the three from the U.S. tv site but I know there are more I used to have them on my computer before my hard drive got wiped. But for the life of me I can't find any on line any more. Does anyone know were I can find some. Especially the movie teaser trailer which was a favorite of mine. Any help would be highly appreicated.

Thanks
Old 2006-02-24, 23:18   Link #23
Korb
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Korb Send a message via AIM to Korb Send a message via MSN to Korb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarducky
I liked the movie too, untill
Spoiler:

That just seemed way too ridiculous to me.
Does that happen in the TV series? I hope not.
The relationship between the TV series and the movie is like that of Escaflowne or Air. It's just a retelling of the whole thing, but in a different style and with lots of little differences everywhere. Of course, when you have to compress 39 23-minute episodes into a 2 hour movie, you're going to have to change things.

Personally I think the relationship between the Utena TV and movie is

Spoiler for TV ending:

I really should rewatch Utena again. It's been way too long.
Korb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 23:43   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Utena, one of my absolute favorite ever. There has never been aynthing like Utena and never will either. it stands not only as a genre all it is own but in the test of time as well. Watching utena is like watching sureal art in motion.
Old 2006-02-24, 23:57   Link #25
guess

One thing just occurred to me. I had a chance to watch the fansub version before the official release. There are some differences in translation. One might say that it is minor but I think a lot of them actually change the meaning of the series or affect how audience would see.

Example:
fansub
Utena: (when replying to Akio's question) I want to become a prince.
Official
Utena: I want to meet him (the prince).

Utena is a very complex series. You have to read a lot into it, I believe. Are they trying to make Utena normal or is this just a mistake?

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-25, 00:21   Link #26
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
One thing just occurred to me. I had a chance to watch the fansub version before the official release. There are some differences in translation. One might say that it is minor but I think a lot of them actually change the meaning of the series or affect how audience would see.

Example:
fansub
Utena: (when replying to Akio's question) I want to become a prince.
Official
Utena: I want to meet him (the prince).

Utena is a very complex series. You have to read a lot into it, I believe. Are they trying to make Utena normal or is this just a mistake?

Spoiler:
Where in the series did you see that translation mix? I do remember however in the series Utena does say many times that she does want to become a prince especially on those recollections she has in the beginning of some episodes. Off topic:yay I'm happy other people than NoSanninWa and I are posting in this thread.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 19:27   Link #27
Kittie Rose

Were there ever any plans for a sequel series/movie? It's a bit of a cult classic so I'm wondering if it'll be revisited in the future.

Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 22:21   Link #28
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
Were there ever any plans for a sequel series/movie? It's a bit of a cult classic so I'm wondering if it'll be revisited in the future.
I think the only real plans to continue the Utena series was indeed the movie.

I don't think it'lll be revisited anymore in the future to be honest. It's been kind of a long time since it ended and it did end nicely.

Utena really is a brillant series in my opinion. I should go back and rewatch it when I have some spare time next.
Old 2007-11-05, 00:35   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsMane View Post

I don't think it'lll be revisited anymore in the future to be honest. It's been kind of a long time since it ended and it did end nicely.

Utena really is a brillant series in my opinion. I should go back and rewatch it when I have some spare time next.
There was also a Live Action Utena Musical

I saw the first 30sec, it was
Old 2007-11-05, 05:42   Link #30
Kittie Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsMane View Post

Spoiler for Utena ending:
Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 01:59   Link #31
Jubalint
Timer and Stuff

Send a message via AIM to Jubalint Send a message via Yahoo to Jubalint
I'm looking to buy a copy of the Utena DVD's but I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that has all three box sets in stock. All I can find is used copies and I'm deathly afraid of ending up with bootlegs.

Does anyone know of somewhere they are new in stock or anywhere that has reliable used copies? I really really want to get the DVD's of this series.

EDIT: Or if anyone has the complete collection (or at least one of the three box sets) and is interested in selling I'm interested in buying .
Jubalint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 21:07   Link #32
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
If someone can verify if the license is indeed expired, please let me know.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 21:17   Link #33
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

I don't believe the license is expired. The boxsets have merely gone out of print.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 21:17   Link #34
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubalint View Post
I'm looking to buy a copy of the Utena DVD's but I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that has all three box sets in stock. All I can find is used copies and I'm deathly afraid of ending up with bootlegs.

Does anyone know of somewhere they are new in stock or anywhere that has reliable used copies? I really really want to get the DVD's of this series.

EDIT: Or if anyone has the complete collection (or at least one of the three box sets) and is interested in selling I'm interested in buying .
Have you try amazon?

PS. you will get my Utena set over my dead body.
Old 2007-12-18, 21:58   Link #35
guess

The company went bankrupt a while ago so I don't think you will see new DVD anymore. I didn't think it would be sold out so fast. A masterpiece being treated like this. What a pity. Just grab used copies while you can. Soon there won't be anything left. A show like this is not going to get licensed by some other company, to be honest.

P.S. I don't know about license status, though. I kind wish it would be expired and some fansub group can do a good sub on it. I really don't like the offcial version anyway.
Old 2007-12-18, 22:16   Link #36
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
The company went bankrupt a while ago so I don't think you will see new DVD anymore. I didn't think it would be sold out so fast. A masterpiece being treated like this. What a pity. Just grab used copies while you can. Soon there won't be anything left. A show like this is not going to get licensed by some other company, to be honest.
That's obviously a lie, since a quick google search will show that it's still around.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 22:30   Link #37
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
That's obviously a lie, since a quick google search will show that it's still around.
CPM Lays off Staff, Prepares for Bankruptcy

posted on 2006-05-26 17:00 EDT

Central Park Media laid off the majority of its staff today, maintaining only a small number to deal with "loose ends." We have been informed that "issues with creditors" arose last week, and the company is expected to file for bankruptcy next week. No further details about the creditor issues or bankruptcy filing are available.

I guess they decided not to file for bankruptcy after all. I don't know.
Old 2007-12-19, 07:29   Link #38
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
P.S. I don't know about license status, though. I kind wish it would be expired and some fansub group can do a good sub on it. I really don't like the offcial version anyway.

We're planning on doing just that, actually. We already subbed 27-39 back when it was unlicensed.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 19:15   Link #39
MaachaQ
MQP Productions

Send a message via ICQ to MaachaQ Send a message via MSN to MaachaQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
We're planning on doing just that, actually. We already subbed 27-39 back when it was unlicensed.

-Tofu
Like another old CPM series, Slayers, I expect one of the other US companies to pick up this liscense and redistribute it. I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble by distributing fansubs at this point while the state of the US liscense is in limbo.

I personally fansubbed the Utena Movie, though I doubt many people saw my version. We were a very small fansub group, we only ever completed a few projects and never made an official digital release. MQP Fansubs I believe is the name we used, and I'm sure I could dig up my Substation Alpha script if I really wanted to ^^;
MaachaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 19:21   Link #40
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I wish that they can make a new verson of Utena, by using the Movie. They can redo the whole story but using the movie graphic on it, besides Utena with short hair is hawt. No doubt about that.