AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-03, 01:37   Link #2081
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
It's my fault, and I'll take full responsibility.
Actually more like mine loool
(though how you guys manage to write a page+ worth of responses on that alone leaves me very impressed. I don't think i was away for that long hahahah)

iunno I just feel like..Ranka is extremely commercial >_>; There's just no way in hell she'd have very little to do with the first movie >___>

I'd be happy if she was, but the chances are all the worthwhile sheryl shots were probably already stuck in the trailer (like...DOA the movie LMFAO only their trailer shots weren't very good. It summarized the movie pretty well though.)

For now all I wish for is a sheriru dansu T^T
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 01:55   Link #2082
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Actually more like mine loool
(though how you guys manage to write a page+ worth of responses on that alone leaves me very impressed. I don't think i was away for that long hahahah)
We can type fast, can't we? And Mei19 can even type fast with different "handwriting" than the rest of us!

Quote:
iunno I just feel like..Ranka is extremely commercial >_>;
God, yes. I can't tell you how many times I turn on the TV or watch a movie and see small, green-haired girls. They're absolutely everywhere.

You know who gets no love? Tall hot blonde chicks with big boobs. You never see them being commercialized or exploited at all.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 02:10   Link #2083
mike_s_6

Quote:
You know who gets no love? Tall hot blonde chicks with big boobs. You never see them being commercialized or exploited at all.
You're making me feel like sheep. Don't care, I love Sheryl.
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 02:31   Link #2084
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
God, yes. I can't tell you how many times I turn on the TV or watch a movie and see small, green-haired girls. They're absolutely everywhere.

You my friend are talking about western countries. In Japan, moe loli-ish girls are all the rage.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 02:36   Link #2085
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
You my friend are talking about western countries. In Japan, moe loli-ish girls are all the rage.
Then why did I keep seeing those damn Cameron Diaz Soft Bank commercials every damn time I turned on the TV there...? Not to mention the Britney Spears advertising van driving around Ginza...
Old 2009-11-03, 02:49   Link #2086
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Sometimes, my dear, sometimes.

I remember a long time ago, a friend asked me, "so why do most anime girls have the face of young-girls and the body of models?"

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 03:08   Link #2087
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sometimes, my dear, sometimes.

I remember a long time ago, a friend asked me, "so why do most anime girls have the face of young-girls and the body of models?"

- Tak
And how did you respond?
abynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 04:26   Link #2088
magnuskn

Quote:
Okay...just when I thought I got a handle on what everyone meant by trolling, this throws me for a loop. Foreshadow described "trolling" as something not enjoyed; Mei19 said "Trollish is a bitter sore loser way to describe an outcome you didn't like as an audience."

Episode 17 played with expectations, and faked the viewer out, especially if the viewer was a long-time Macross fan. But I haven't read a single negative review of it (except on Robotech.com, where some of the members seem to feel sort of obligated to dislike any Macross series).

So does trolling to you simply mean subverting expectations...?

I'm trying not to harp on this. But I'm confused. And I'd like not to be confused.
Before I got to read Crusaders episode summaries, a "troll" was for me the definition offered on TV Tropes.... a flamethrower on a forum, who tries to start flame wars. It is meant as a completely negative term.

The nomination of Kawamori as a troll comes off as affectionate, instead. Kawa-san has a tendency to a.) surprise us with, let's say strange plot twists ( which mostly make sense in the end ) or b.) play with the audiences expectations.

Macross Frontiers ending certainly counts as a "bad" troll, because not resolving the romance makes little sense, given the build-up we had for most of the series.
Unless someone finally arrives with an interview where Kawamori explains satisfactorily why they didn't resolve it, I will continue to believe that it was the hope for better merchandising which spurred on that decision, not any sense that it would elevate the story.

Episode 17 would count as a "benign troll". There certainly were lots of people who already had declared Ozma dead before the episode aired ( not yours truly, however. ), so it was a simple play on audience expectations.

BTW, Escaflowne was the first anime I saw with the "anime bittersweet non-definite ending" trope. Yeah, you can believe me that I felt trolled by it.
Oh well, nobody says Van can't visit Hitomi on Earth, I just wish they had spelled it out.
Old 2009-11-03, 06:24   Link #2089
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I hated it, too, but for a different reason...Van and Alan's deepest desire was to fight each other? Where the hell did THAT come from?

It struck me that the writers were trying to ACT like deep thinkers without actually BEING deep thinkers.
Don't forget, Escaflowne was originally planned for 50 episodes. Quite a bit had to be cut when they only have 26 episodes to work with.
Old 2009-11-03, 07:04   Link #2090
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, even though it was quite rushed at the final stages, I quite loved how the series ended.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 07:14   Link #2091
cutesherry
.:Sweet Dreamer:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Macross Frontier's ending to me is not a troll...I can say it's surprising, but to me it's not a troll...because the show was too rush...and there was no time for audience to realize/understand Alto's deep thought...we all know how Ranka and Sheryl think of Alto but Alto rarely reveals his heart to the audience
SO true!
More then Sheryl or Ranka, I'd rather had had a movie which would have allowed us to learn more about Alto's personal thoughts, to understand his character and actions better and feel more deeply involved and interested with the development of his personality through the time.
His face could get to be very expressive sometimes, but still, we are left wondering and confused as for his true feelings until the very end. We also only got glimpse of his past and some hints, but never got truly in touch with what happened to him and the complexity of his bonds with his family.
If I have any wish, it would be for movie 2 to be more about him.

..::CuteSherry LJ
...♥...CuteSherry MTokyo...♥...CuteSherry APaper...♥...CuteSherry dART::..
~I Seek Peace in my Dreams~

Last edited by cutesherry; 2009-11-14 at 10:26.
cutesherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 11:02   Link #2092
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:

Anime honey Anime.
I'm willing to bet that Ranka has far more MF poster art/or at the very least pictures with spotline position than SHeryl will ever have. There's also the fact she's become an internet meme every since the whole KIRA~ thing.

I know I get disputed against for this view but, for anyone looking at MF for the first time Ranka has the "main character" design and characteristics >_>

Whilst I would very much LOVE a sheryl-centric movie I really really feel it's unlikely :< But yes, please feel free to surprise me kawamori 8D

@cutesherry/justavisitor: Actually now that i've rewatched MF, I'm starting to realize that reservation is PART of alto's personality. It's not that we haven't been given his point of view, this just IS his point of view.

He's a character that doesn't voice reasonings for his actions, even if he thinks pretty deeply about the things he wants. He only initiates when he's come to a conclusion that he wouldn't regret, but remains quiet about his problems otherwise. It ends up making it seem like he's a bit slow or incredibly indecisive but now I think it's oddly realistic and interesting? I mean sure he doesn't blurt everything in his head like Ranka does, or respond haughtily to the world under a "i-amstrong" persona like Sheryl does, but the world require all sorts XD
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 11:20   Link #2093
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Anime honey Anime.
I'm willing to bet that Ranka has far more MF poster art/or at the very least pictures with spotline position than SHeryl will ever have. There's also the fact she's become an internet meme every since the whole KIRA~ thing.

I know I get disputed against for this view but, for anyone looking at MF for the first time Ranka has the "main character" design and characteristics >_>

Whilst I would very much LOVE a sheryl-centric movie I really really feel it's unlikely :< But yes, please feel free to surprise me kawamori 8D
So your point is that Ranka is more marketable, which is why they're NOT showing her in the advertising for the movie. But even though they're not showing her much in the promotional materials, she'll be all over the movie, to the detriment of Sheryl. So showing Sheryl (who is less marketable and popular) in the advertising is way to draw people in to see a movie that is all REALLY about Ranka (who is more marketable and popular).

Do I have that right...?
Old 2009-11-03, 11:34   Link #2094
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Anime honey Anime.
Huh? I don't know what brought you to this conclusion, but I can almost guarantee you that the answer to your statement is a resounding NO.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 13:10   Link #2095
wisteria233

I kind of understand what ippus is getting at. Most of the time in anime we do have a blond-haired, big boobed character, only difference is that that character is usually heavily stereotyped and doesn't really have a defining personality *in anime anyway*, the only difference is that character usually doesn't end up being the most popular (they certainly don't interest the Fujioshi). Meanwhile the moe moe character from that same series will get all of fans on their side. Precedent shows that Ranka's character design should have guaranteed her the most popular character spot (at least for Frontier), and yet she is not instead all she got was a meme. Kinda interesting considering Ranka has the most screen time.

Though I personally think that personality has some play into this, though I'm going refrain from discussing it.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 14:33   Link #2096
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I kind of understand what ippus is getting at. Most of the time in anime we do have a blond-haired, big boobed character, only difference is that that character is usually heavily stereotyped and doesn't really have a defining personality *in anime anyway*, the only difference is that character usually doesn't end up being the most popular (they certainly don't interest the Fujioshi). Meanwhile the moe moe character from that same series will get all of fans on their side. Precedent shows that Ranka's character design should have guaranteed her the most popular character spot (at least for Frontier), and yet she is not instead all she got was a meme. Kinda interesting considering Ranka has the most screen time.

Though I personally think that personality has some play into this, though I'm going refrain from discussing it.
I once again refer to this excellent post by Crusader, which points to Ranka as a possible deconstruction of Moe characters. It's really a quite interesting read.
Old 2009-11-03, 14:41   Link #2097
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I once again refer to this excellent post by Crusader, which points to Ranka as a possible deconstruction of Moe characters. It's really a quite interesting read.
I know I even said before that she may have been a deconstruction of the moe trope a while ago, and then got attacked from people believed that I was bashing her character. That's why I said

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that from an anime stand point Ranka design is like the average moe moe character that usually makes off with the most fans in the series.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 16:09   Link #2098
justavisitor

Quote:
@cutesherry/justavisitor: Actually now that i've rewatched MF, I'm starting to realize that reservation is PART of alto's personality. It's not that we haven't been given his point of view, this just IS his point of view.

He's a character that doesn't voice reasonings for his actions, even if he thinks pretty deeply about the things he wants. He only initiates when he's come to a conclusion that he wouldn't regret, but remains quiet about his problems otherwise. It ends up making it seem like he's a bit slow or incredibly indecisive but now I think it's oddly realistic and interesting? I mean sure he doesn't blurt everything in his head like Ranka does, or respond haughtily to the world under a "i-amstrong" persona like Sheryl does, but the world require all sorts XD
yes, he is a reserved person, but give me some cliche moment, like hmm, a character doesn't have to open his mouth, but somehow his voice from his mind comes out and we as an audience know what he is thinking..typical method used by various animes XD

We don't even have that, the closest one that we have is ep 23..and ep 25..but the one in ep 25 is too late..so for the movie, gives us some personal thought from Alto would be nice...

Even a voice from his mind saying "I don't know what to think anymore" would be better than nothing
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 15:33   Link #2099
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

I don't get the argument here.

Sheryl is an idealized typical anime girl, with long flowing pretty hair and a nice rack.

Ranka is also a typical archetype, the loli moeblob who appears and dresses far younger than her actual age implies.

BOTH sterotypes happen in anime. A LOT.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 15:35   Link #2100
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
I don't get the argument here.

Sheryl is an idealized typical anime girl, with long flowing pretty hair and a nice rack.

Ranka is also a typical archetype, the loli moeblob who appears and dresses far younger than her actual age implies.

BOTH sterotypes happen in anime. A LOT.
The discussion is on going about the fact that the Archetype of Ranka usually wins out and gets the majority of the fans, which is not the case in Macross Frontier.

Although you could argue in terms of aesthetics anything is an archetype. It's more on the side of personality and which sticks closer to their respective archetype.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote