Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-03-29, 21:00   Link #4861
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
The last time the regular rules were in effect the team that won the coin toss won less than 30% on their first drive. The game is completely fair. You don't want the other team to win, don't let them drive down the other side of the field. You don't want to go to overtime, prevent it from happening. Pretty simple. This "fair" talk is completely ridiculous. Football needs to stop being babied down.
I think it is more babied down the way it was. Just getting a field goal at that point in the game doesn't belay too much effort. Much better to have teams put more effort into getting a TD to seal the deal than just a field goal.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 06:18   Link #4862
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I think it is more babied down the way it was. Just getting a field goal at that point in the game doesn't belay too much effort. Much better to have teams put more effort into getting a TD to seal the deal than just a field goal.
Or you could just stop the team from forcing overtime.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 06:20   Link #4863
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Y'gotta factor in the additional rules while allow offenses to move the ball more easily against the defense. So, that 30% win rate on the first drive has become inflated.

While I agree with regards to the NFL becoming more "pussified", y'also gotta consider the costs of doing business when players get hurt, especially QBs. So, all these rule changes: it's a money thing. I don't like it, but that is today's NFL.
Of course it's a money thing.

As far as offenses being able to move the ball easier against defense, that doesn't really fly. You could have a 10-10 game going into overtime, which means offenses weren't moving the ball much at all that day. 30% is 30%. It's a low enough figure for all scenarios that it doesn't warrant a change in the first place.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-30, 07:32   Link #4864
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Or you could just stop the team from forcing overtime.
And when both teams are "stopping the other team from forcing overtime", there's a chance of ending up in overtime.

I don't really see what this outcry is about. They changed a rule, but it results in more football and more fair W-L for teams. How is this a bad thing?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 10:07   Link #4865
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And when both teams are "stopping the other team from forcing overtime", there's a chance of ending up in overtime.

I don't really see what this outcry is about. They changed a rule, but it results in more football and more fair W-L for teams. How is this a bad thing?
I don't think the game needs to be more complex than it already is. And before no one was up in arms about this entire thing. It wasn't a national travesty in the football rules. No one for years has been complaining about the overtime rules. Or rather, there hasn't been a large majority about it. Not like, instant replay for instance before it was voted on. I just think it was fair before the rule change. No need to mess with it.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-30, 10:10   Link #4866
GDB

That I can understand, though from what I'd been reading it was starting to get unbalanced slightly (60/40) in favor of winning the toin-coss from the 90s onward. That was likely made worse by the new kickoff rules, but it's hard to tell since we only had one year of that. I'm mostly in favor of it because I feel rules should be the same in regular season and post-season, and they got changed there.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 13:16   Link #4867
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Some people just don't like certain change. This OT rule change, it's more or less an update for today's game.

After all, somewhere on this thread, I mentioned the idea of the Cowboys moved out of the NFC East.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 19:58   Link #4868
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Some people just don't like certain change. This OT rule change, it's more or less an update for today's game.
Depends on one's prerogative. I could say it's more less a downgrade.

In any case, we'll see long term how this plays out.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-31, 06:33   Link #4869
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Philadelphia suffered a real blow in training. LT Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles tendon and will miss the whole 2012 season. -_- Getting a replacement tackle in the draft is reportedly now their biggest priority instead of LBs. Rumour is they will trade their second round draft picks to have a shot at Reily Reiff. Timing could hardly have been worse - free agency is virtually drained of what was good. Also a real shame because Peters was able to protect Vick and give McCoy a LOT of gaps - one of the few that did last year. Vick might be fuming if they don't get a decent replacement.
Old 2012-03-31, 07:47   Link #4870
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

"dream team" is in trouble again
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 10:21   Link #4871
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

jeez this is just great. It seems like our OL issues will never be solved at this rate.
Old 2012-03-31, 11:36   Link #4872
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Philadelphia suffered a real blow in training. LT Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles tendon and will miss the whole 2012 season. -_- Getting a replacement tackle in the draft is reportedly now their biggest priority instead of LBs. Rumour is they will trade their second round draft picks to have a shot at Reily Reiff. Timing could hardly have been worse - free agency is virtually drained of what was good. Also a real shame because Peters was able to protect Vick and give McCoy a LOT of gaps - one of the few that did last year. Vick might be fuming if they don't get a decent replacement.
If this is true, I would be very happy if Carolina jumps on that.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 21:39   Link #4873
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

And gap between the 1997 NFL Draft first two selections continue to widen to astronomical lengths.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...rug-possession
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 00:04   Link #4874
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Yeah, read about Leaf. That's beyond going off the rails. That's just sad.
Old 2012-04-01, 16:41   Link #4875
Kyuu
=^^=

Peyton Manning missed a good opportunity to pull a good April Fool's joke... by announcing retirement today (only to rejoin the Broncos tomorrow).
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 03:02   Link #4876
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I was waiting for the Jets to announce the Tebow trade was a fake. ^^
Old 2012-04-04, 09:08   Link #4877
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Nike unveling of 2012 NFL Uniforms

In a structured deal with the NFL, yesterday Nike shows off their 32 team new uniforms. What does everyone think of it and yes I like Seahawks uniforms than Patriots.

http://www.nfl.com/photos/09000d5d82...000d5d8280d924

More on this story:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...s-all-32-teams
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 09:19   Link #4878
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

A lot of them seem like they were barely changed at all. Overall though I like most of them although the whole logo on the gloves thing is kind of pointless as a design. Who is even going to notice that during a game?
Old 2012-04-04, 10:02   Link #4879
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
A lot of them seem like they were barely changed at all. Overall though I like most of them although the whole logo on the gloves thing is kind of pointless as a design. Who is even going to notice that during a game?
Someone who has a hand fetish
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 10:13   Link #4880
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I am...indifferent.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports