AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-03, 23:04   Link #61
Midonin
Last Engage

I can actually see a few parallels to Code Geass as well, at least from the first episode. Youth angry at the world puts on a mask to avenge his wheelchair-bound sister. Given, Coco's not blind, but the sentiment is similar.

But whatever concepts be there, I want to see what they can do with it.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:22   Link #62
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I really liked the first episode. While the concept may sound weird, they did a good job at making this look entertaining, atleast from this very first episode.

And boy, the visuals. The french team did an amazing work with the background art. The whole world setting reminds me a lot of Tekkon Kinkreet.

Last but not least the two best things of this first episode:
- Miyuki
- Spanky

Last edited by Shinndou; 2009-04-04 at 09:39.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:44   Link #63
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I really liked the first episode. While the concept may sound weird, they did a good job at making this look entertaining, atleast from this very first episode.

And boy, the visuals. The french team did an amazing work with the background art. The whole world setting reminds me a lot of Tekkon Kinkreet.

Last but not least the two best things of this first episode:
- Miyuki
- Spunky
seems that they have a winner. It was pretty much the same thing when youko first appeared in Gurren laggan. Everyone went crazy with her, this time everyone is going crazy with Miyuki and she is kind of a change for leading lady.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:52   Link #64
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Maybe it's too early to say that we have a winner, but the first impression was good, atleast for me. It could have been an anime about any other sport and I think I would have still liked it, what's keeping me interested right now is the animation, the visuals, and the world's design. And Miyuki and Spanky.

I really, really hope Kawamori and Romain will deliver a good show. It'd be nice to see more of this kind of collaborations between japanese animators and foreigners.

Last edited by Shinndou; 2009-04-04 at 09:39.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 01:24   Link #65
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Quote:
Am I supposed to take immediate issue with the fact that the concept is ridiculous? Personally I don't care, show me something interesting, that's what I'm looking for from this show. Though with everybody elses attitude this looks to be one of those shows that is screwed right out of the gate.
My feelings exactly.
Although from the buzz on this and other boards, it might have a chance.
Quote:
There is a TV special around that appears to show Thomas Romain and his French crew working in Japan in a Japanese office, and shows him speaking Japanese. I think the French animators have learned some Japanese style and technique and have blended it with their own.
There's a documentary of this on the O-ban dvds.

Why is everyone comparing this to Gurren? Wtf? I guess, GL is one of the few mechas shows people actually watched so it gets compared to everything with style and mechas. Pssh...like Soul Eater and Gurren weren't biting their style COMPLETELY from One Piece(art and character design-wise) and just streamlining it a bit to look more "anime." This looks nothing like Gurren!

Also are ppl judging based on the raw? Is there a sub out?
-leaves to check-

Last edited by Keiichi_chan; 2009-04-04 at 01:48.
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 02:40   Link #66
Anonidas

You guys compare this to Gurren Lagann and Code Geass but no MegasXLR?

Oh boy...
Anyway, the "young kid + busty female sidekick + over the topness = Gurren Lagann" connection here is hilarious, considering that these traits have been very common in super robot anime since...you know, Mazinger Z?

I can say BASQUASH is Mazinger Z with basketball because Dan = Kouji Kabuto and Miyuki = Sayaka =))
Anonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:00   Link #67
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonidas View Post
You guys compare this to Gurren Lagann and Code Geass but no MegasXLR?

Oh boy...
Anyway, the "young kid + busty female sidekick + over the topness = Gurren Lagann" connection here is hilarious, considering that these traits have been very common in super robot anime since...you know, Mazinger Z?

I can say BASQUASH is Mazinger Z with basketball because Dan = Kouji Kabuto and Miyuki = Sayaka =))
It is not just those factors, the animation is very Similar to Gainax.
Old 2009-04-04, 05:06   Link #68
Anonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
And it's like Gainax's style of animation is really, really ORIGINAL right?
Oh come on, give me a break.

BASQUASH is animated more like western cartoon though.
Old 2009-04-04, 05:20   Link #69
golthin

Quote:
And it's like Gainax's style of animation is really, really ORIGINAL right?
Oh come on, give me a break.

BASQUASH is animated more like western cartoon though.
ok man, it is obvious you are in a mission to credit the show with copying an old show rather then a recent hit. Was there a cool pet companion in Mazinger Z? I ask because I have never seen the show, so I only can go by gurren laggan and the show reminded me of it. I was not the only one that saw certain similarities. The last shows i have watched with Mech were Gurren laggen, code geass, gundam 00.
Old 2009-04-04, 05:35   Link #70
Anonidas

Quote:
Quote:
ok man, it is obvious you are in a mission to credit the show with copying an old show rather then a recent hit. Was there a cool pet companion in Mazinger Z? I ask because I have never seen the show, so I only can go by gurren laggan and the show reminded me of it. I was not the only one that saw certain similarities. The last shows i have watched with Mech were Gurren laggen, code geass, gundam 00.
You are acting like having a cool pet companion (ia the series mascot) is really original in anime general.

Well, to be honest, that kind of mascot pet already existed back in..ha ha...Sailor Moon, and in even older stuff if you really want to know.

I don't give a damn if the show really reminds you of Gurren Lagann, just stop saying "holy sh!t, this is like gurren lagann with basketball lolz XD!!".

Also, kudo to the BASQUASH's French staff for a new kind of animation, they made the pre-rendered 3d CGI backgrounds look good, even with 2D characters.

There are still flaws over the 2D animation (like how the crowd in the stadium stay completely frozen), but I can get over that due to how gorgeous things around them look.
Old 2009-04-04, 05:52   Link #71
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Nothing is original, everyone compares everything that seems familar to whatever is recent.

That is the unfortunate truth of creative work. If you're going to try and hammer it in to people that these concepts are older than they think, you're just going to make yourself look like an arse.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:57   Link #72
Anonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Nothing is original, everyone compares everything that seems familar to whatever is recent.

That is the unfortunate truth of creative work. If you're going to try and hammer it in to people that these concepts are older than they think, you're just going to make yourself look like an arse.
Nothing is original anymore (really?), but I just can't stand people actually saying "this show is basically another show minus x things and add y things" due to some of the most basic stereotypes ever. That's insulting to the creator of both shows.

So yeah, I'm just being a man (or a pure arse ) and pointing out facts.
Old 2009-04-04, 06:50   Link #73
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well I think there are some similar points, but I think I will watch at least the first episodes and then decide.
I'm amused about mechas playing basketball, seriously you should have seen my face. I'm a huge basketball fan and love to play myself and the thought of Mechas playing it never even crossed my mind. Out of that reason I'll watch the first episodes for sure.
Also I like the main character. It's a long time since I liked that type of character...well I'll give it a try
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 09:24   Link #74
E_I
Yuri fan

I can't concentrate on this show because Miyuki's huge boobs.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 10:55   Link #75
Anonidas

Next episode is gonna be Sela centric, prepare for some DFC actions )

Nice to see a capable female pilot (who's also a lead) once in a while since...Rideback? Oh well that was recently lol
Old 2009-04-04, 10:57   Link #76
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post
I can't concentrate on this show because Miyuki's huge boobs.
but what i find funny about them, they get larger when they are the focus of the scene, but they kind of shrink when the attention is not on them. they suffer what I call the "Youko syndrome".
Old 2009-04-04, 11:01   Link #77
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well after watching a little bit of Queen's Blade... I thing the seize of her boobs is ignorable
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 11:07   Link #78
Anonidas

Will you guys believe me if I say Miyuki's boobs are made to parody fanservice in general?
Old 2009-04-04, 12:08   Link #79
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Mecha+Basketball..............WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! !!

Though the anime was very...very entertaining to watch. Is this Gainax? lolz. I like the girls, especially the one shown in the preview.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 13:56   Link #80
Kikuchi

Quote:
Will you guys believe me if I say Miyuki's boobs are made to parody fanservice in general?
*pic*
Well, wasn't there some talk about Miyuki's design being a specific request from Kawamori?
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basketball, mecha, shounen