AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-23, 00:47   Link #461
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Hey, Hiroyuki from To Heart was one of the few decent fellows in harem -likeanime, with a distinct personality and To Heart and To Heart RMM was more of a love story than a harem anime.

There's just one thing I feel bad about in Canvas (other than that, it was a very nice series). Poor Elis
Old 2006-03-23, 01:02   Link #462
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I'll agree that Elise is the one that gets tagged with the cold wind from Valhalla - even though she is transitioning to somewhere that might be very exciting. And I worry about Tomoko being there to meet her next Christmas... ... ...
Old 2006-03-23, 06:15   Link #463
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Hey, Hiroyuki from To Heart was one of the few decent fellows in harem -likeanime, with a distinct personality and To Heart and To Heart RMM was more of a love story than a harem anime.

There's just one thing I feel bad about in Canvas (other than that, it was a very nice series). Poor Elis
I should've qualified my comment, I was thinking more of To Heart 2. I thought To Heart: RMM added a level of characterization that wasn't quite there for Hiroyuki in the original. But, so far, To Heart 2 definitely feels like the male protagonist is just drifting along, having stories told around him. Maybe To Heart 2 changes later, but I find To Heart 2 so incredibly boring, I'm not sure I'll keep watching any subs of it.

As for poor Elis, well, in these types of shows, there's always someone that loses who attracts the viewers sympathy. At least Elis is making out better than most, since she was never lead on otherwise, and she's able to move on, which most do not appear to do in these types of shows. Of course, the series isn't over completely, so who knows whether anything else will change...
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 06:47   Link #464
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I like To Heart 2, although I admit, up to ep 7, which I've watched, the male lead is not at Hiroyuki's level, but he hasn't messed up anything yet and is not us deprived of personality as Rin of Shuffle.

Eh well, not much can change in the last episode. If there had to be a change, it should have occured on ep 21-22. Since that didn't happen, Poor Elis is gonna remain Poor Elis... snif snif

Not that Hiroki is much of a prize...

Hmm... Deja vu...
Old 2006-03-23, 10:12   Link #465
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sometimes its amusing that we root for our favorite girls to win a prize most of us consider lame or damaged.... makes you wonder about the psyche of the writers or what they think of their viewing audience. I keep assuming that most otaku mean well but are just incapacitated around real women (neurotically shy) rather than being actual jerks or asses.
Oddly, the male buddy of the lead in Kashimashi seems actually rather normal to me (though I've only seen two eps so far).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-03-23 at 10:51.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 17:59   Link #466
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
 I don't even like Nanoha, but Haginoha I would watch: transforming with the help of Raging Pen.
Sorry, but I simply could not resist this....
Spoiler for Canvas 3 - Haginoha!:
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 20:17   Link #467
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
I though that Hagino's confession (ep20) was brilliant but it really brought home how sick I was of Kiri and Elise and the series in general.

Was initially enjoying the series but now it is just a slog to the end,
It will be filed and forgotten.
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 22:04   Link #468
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Sometimes I wonder if anyone is truly happy with any series these days.

Is this part of what Republicans would call a culture of negativity? Heh heh heh

I'm looking forward to hating this series too. One more episode to go!

On a different note, apparently on Friday they released a Canvas 2 TV Soundtrack, with the background music to the TV show...
http://www.broccoli.co.jp/canvas2_cd/index.html

If I had known, I would have pre-ordered it somewhere, but it seemed to have been added to the site the day it came out. Now I'll have to hunt for it. I'm guessing Tracks 30 and 31 are my favorites from the series, from their titles and the situations in the series. But I won't know till I hear it. And I wants to hear it...

Last edited by MonkeyBrains; 2006-03-25 at 23:34.
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 02:34   Link #469
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBrains
Sometimes I wonder if anyone is truly happy with any series these days. ...
For Canvas2, I sure am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBrains
Is this part of what Republicans would call a culture of negativity? Heh heh heh

I'm looking forward to hating this series too. One more episode to go!
Perhaps it's a case of setting too high an expectation. I'm the type who "takes it as it is" hence I don't get frustrated (I sure never did with Shuffle! and DCSS by the way). What drew me most to Canvas2 was its REALISM (i.e. complete absense of Maho Shoujo/Mecha/Sentai/Sci-Fi etc, not to mention the realistic personalities of the characters, and for instance not following the clicheic style of most Harem series). Those unhappy with series like Canvas2 will likely be just as unhappy with say Lamune, Boys Be, or To Heart 2, and will probably be better off sticking with stuff like Love Hina.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 04:46   Link #470
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well I didn't say I don't like Canvas 2, the only thing I was disappointed about was my favorite girl not getting the so-called prize. In contrast to Shuffle, Hiroki's choice actually made sense, and Kiri made sense, too. Overall it was ok.
Old 2006-03-26, 12:42   Link #471
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil
Perhaps it's a case of setting too high an expectation. I'm the type who "takes it as it is" hence I don't get frustrated (I sure never did with Shuffle! and DCSS by the way). What drew me most to Canvas2 was its REALISM (i.e. complete absense of Maho Shoujo/Mecha/Sentai/Sci-Fi etc, not to mention the realistic personalities of the characters, and for instance not following the clicheic style of most Harem series). Those unhappy with series like Canvas2 will likely be just as unhappy with say Lamune, Boys Be, or To Heart 2, and will probably be better off sticking with stuff like Love Hina.
QFT may be a bad forum cliche, but I just wanted to say that I couldn't agree with you more. I have to admit that I'm very rarely disappointed with shows in this genre; on the one hand, you could say that makes me easy to please, but on the other hand, there are an awful lot of anime in other genres that just don't interest me in the slightest (I'd say I watch maybe only 3-5 shows any given season, if that). I definitely think that casting your expectations aside and just letting yourself be enthralled/carried away by the characters and story plays a very large part in that. Turn off your "inner critic" for just a little while. If you start taking a show for what it is and not what you want out of it, it's so much more enjoyable (at least in my opinion). The amount of bitterness/anger/spite you see in some people about these sorts of shows (well, really, any show, I suppose) makes you wonder what they're hoping to "get out of it" in the first place. Anime should be fun; if it stressed me out, I'd stop watching.

As for Canvas 2, what I liked about it most were the fun character designs and personalities, who were really brought to life by some decent planning and writing. All the little situations they go through, even the ones that aren't part of the main plot... it's just enjoyable to me. People who expect action-driven plot in character-driven shows, and so forth... it's like not taking the time to smell the roses. Enjoy the journey, I say, and let yourself be carried away; then maybe you'll agree that the worst part of these shows is having to say goodbye...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 12:52   Link #472
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Final Episode has aired;

http://dat.2chan.net/18/res/2515749.htm *scroll down*

Spoiler for Hiroki finally kisses someone:

Spoiler for ORO?!:
Old 2006-03-26, 13:28   Link #473
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Spoiler for Hiroki finally kisses someone:
Spoiler:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 13:33   Link #474
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Eh... Well... That's a nice edit
Old 2006-03-26, 13:37   Link #475
Mentar
Banned

Actually, this is no edit.

zOMG. I didn't expect that at all. Not sure if I like it. First reaction is no.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 13:39   Link #476
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Spoiler:

Hope not many were spoiler. Sorry!

Last edited by npal; 2006-03-26 at 15:20.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 15:17   Link #477
Omniscient

Final Episode Screencaps and Summary (Major Spoilers!!)

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 15:22   Link #478
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-26, 15:47   Link #479
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I choose not to process these spoilers mentally til I see the episode .... but, um,

O.o
Old 2006-03-26, 15:50   Link #480
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I choose not to process these spoilers mentally til I see the episode .... but, um,

O.o
Spoiler:

Lunar are a bit slow... Oh well...

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs