AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-10-15, 20:30   Link #281
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Hmm... isn't there a way to do it all at once? I remember I modified a file (probably related to the path profile) when installing Enlightenment. Bah, I'll probably look for the automatic backup of that file and restore it, I didn't like Enlightenment much anyways.

EDIT:

Hmm... In the /etc/environment file, the PATH is set as "/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games", but if I type $PATH in the shell, I get:

Code:
bash: /home/bilkis/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games": No such file or directory

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 22:15   Link #282
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Shame the Treasury Minister doesn't actually know the meaning of open source or she wouldn't had said:
"Some open source projects cannot meet our needs for quality or security, and we are not prepared to compromise on those,"
I read this as saying, "We're not willing to compromise our ability to have someone else to blame things on if something goes wrong." CYA, as it's known. Open source projects don't offer an easy target for blame the way proprietary software from a vendor does. They're also not the favorites among most large IT consultancies which many governments employ to manage their IT functions. Even more than vendors like Microsoft, the consultancies are especially attractive targets for blame. They're going to provide name-brand products from big-name vendors like Microsoft and Oracle.

@WK Try getting rid of the quotes and setting PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:etc. You'll notice there's a trailing quote on the $PATH variable in the error you quoted above. Something tells me that some profile file has an extraneous quote in the PATH declaration. I don't think bash uses an /etc/environment file at all; mine is empty. Usually bash uses /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile. Try "man bash" and look in the section called INVOCATION.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 22:59   Link #283
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Okay, I edited it a few times, and I think that, in the end, I ended up with the same PATH as before (PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"), but though I still get a "directory not found" error whenever I invoke $PATH, for some strange reason, now it works as it should. Though it might be because I didn't log out after replacing the /etc/environment file I had modified when I installed Enlightenment with the backup...

Oh, Seiji, the /etc/environment for the variables must be an Ubuntu setting. I have no ~/.bash_profile file, and /etc/profile is a completely different script (couldn't tell you what it does, as I still lack enough knowledge of bash scripts).

I still don't understand very well this environmental variables stuff... It'd be good if someone explained me a bit further what they are (yeah, I'm lazy today).

Old 2007-10-16, 01:38   Link #284
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

@SS - Yeah I've noticed the same type of thinking in the large orgs I've worked for. The funny thing is the few time the poo hits the fan, companies like MS normally are covered in a EULA or something. What really gets my goat is when they actually have to invest lots in administrators to run it or even worse to hack/customise it to get it working. For example the last place I worked went for a closed source distrance learning product. They still had to hire a very large team to maintain and customise it. The only problem is any back end stuff they needed to pass it on to the suppliers and wait for a solution. Had they gone for something like moodle they not only could solve any issues themselves, they could have farmed out their experience at a later date and have another revenue stream.

@WK - I think you always get an error as when you type $PATH, I just tried it on my lappy which is currently running OpenSuSE 10.3 and it did too. I'm not too sure why it isn't searching the /usr/games directory for executables in your case . I can't test until the 15th and I get Ubuntu 7.10 back on it.
Old 2007-10-16, 08:16   Link #285
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Oh, I guess I missed he was typing just $PATH. Try "echo $PATH" instead.
Old 2007-10-16, 11:13   Link #286
grey_moon

*slaps forehead* heh he was trying to run his path no wonder it threw up an error message

In the two days before Ubuntu is going to be realeased I thought I'd trash my laptop a few times and test out some other distros.

Poor little thing is only a 1.5GHz Celeron and its main function is to get dirty on the interweb with comms, so security is a must.

OpenSuSE 10.3 - Very happy with it, just missing the OpenChrome drivers, but video goes full screen so it isn't an issue. Can't yet figure out how to compile WASTE p2p, but won't waste time on that until I settle.

Windows XP home - Once I've loaded nod32, Outpost FW, AVG AS and System Safety Monitor it gets slow as a sloth running up a hill. Fire up some apps and its horrible, skype makes everyone sound like R2D2 (yup its so tinny people shound like they are beeping at me). Video conferencing is not possible.

Now it is a race betweeen Madriva 2008 and Fedora 7 to see which downloads first. Not fair race really as F7 is 2 gig , but I should be able to try that on the last day.

*EDIT* How stable is the test version of Fedora please?
Old 2007-10-16, 12:50   Link #287
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Do you mean the release candidates for F8 or "Rawhide"? Rawhide is always on the cutting edge. They drop the most recent rpm's in there as they become available. My guess is the F8 candidates are pretty stable. Frankly, I suspect Rawhide is pretty stable these days, too. At this point most of the component software is undergoing minor version changes, so the potential for "instability," whatever that may mean in practice, isn't all that high.

I've run Rawhide versions without a hitch. Right now, I'm still running F7 with nightly yum updates. I've only had one issue with that procedure -- when the kernel was upgraded but Livna hadn't released the matching nVidia driver module. Once they were back in sync, everything was fine. In the meantime I just used the previous kernel version when offered it by grub. That's not the Fedora Project's fault, of course, since I was using software from a third-party repository.
Old 2007-10-16, 13:08   Link #288
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Do you mean the release candidates for F8 or "Rawhide"? Rawhide is always on the cutting edge. They drop the most recent rpm's in there as they become available. My guess is the F8 candidates are pretty stable. Frankly, I suspect Rawhide is pretty stable these days, too. At this point most of the component software is undergoing minor version changes, so the potential for "instability," whatever that may mean in practice, isn't all that high.

I've run Rawhide versions without a hitch. Right now, I'm still running F7 with nightly yum updates. I've only had one issue with that procedure -- when the kernel was upgraded but Livna hadn't released the matching nVidia driver module. Once they were back in sync, everything was fine. In the meantime I just used the previous kernel version when offered it by grub. That's not the Fedora Project's fault, of course, since I was using software from a third-party repository.
I'll change my dl over to rawhide then, as its only slurped about 40%.

Mandriva disk partitioning is like pulling teeth. You have to set the size with a slidey bar and u can't specify. Which is a bit cr*p when u have 5 partitions to create and are a bit anal about getting numbers bang on.

*EDIT*
Mandriva was a horrible experience for me. It would not connect to my wireless at all. When sound was playing the mouse would stutter. Hated the interface. Not my cup of tea!

*EDIT*
Not having that much joy with Fedora. The installer isn't as obvious as OpenSuSE is for partitioning and selecting desktop, but was pretty easy to install. But after installing I just get a black screen after grub launches, I can't even ctrl, alt function to another console. Any ideas? I guess I'll have to boot in a safe mode.

Last edited by grey_moon; 2007-10-16 at 21:51.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 09:05   Link #289
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Only one day till Gutsy Gibbon is released... *waku*waku*

Old 2007-10-17, 10:07   Link #290
grey_moon

He he yup I'm sitting in absolute agony as I can't be bothered to fix my laptop (tried both Fedora 7 and 8) and it just sits there with a back screen.

Apart from some great additions such as AppArmor and full ntfs support, the feature my laptop is look most forward to is full disk encryption from the installer. Something I believe that OpenSuSE, Mandriva and Fedora don't yet support.

So far for my testing on my laptop in terms of install-ability and usability, the results top down are:

OpenSuSE
Mandriva
Windows XP Home
Fedora

Sorry Fedora peeps, but I'm not looking to hack something to work on it. I guess if I was to I would boot to a live disk and check the logs.

@WK - Love the avatar
Old 2007-10-17, 10:30   Link #291
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Ooooh! New release
An opportunity to fix my startup lag with Gnome
Dunno what happened, but it takes like 2 to 3 minutes for the windowmanager to initialize. Probably due to a recent Beryl update.

Anyway with the next release/installation I'm gonna switch to Compiz-Fusion. Tried it with OpenSuse 10.3 and I love it.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 10:33   Link #292
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Anyway with the next release/installation I'm gonna switch to Compiz-Fusion. Tried it with OpenSuse 10.3 and I love it.
It's gonna switch automatically, since it already ships with it

Old 2007-10-17, 10:56   Link #293
grey_moon

Its out on their pool, but not on their main site

http://releases.ubuntu.com/.pool/

Well I think it is out as the name doesn't have rc in it, but the desc says beta... I'm confused. Oh well I'll dl it to see
Old 2007-10-17, 10:59   Link #294
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
He he yup I'm sitting in absolute agony as I can't be bothered to fix my laptop (tried both Fedora 7 and 8) and it just sits there with a back screen.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...or-fc7-591629/

You might need to edit the "kernel" command line in grub to add a parameter or two.

I rarely use a laptop, but the times I've tried installing any version of Linux on one there's always something it doesn't like. Fedora has always installed flawlessly on the desktop machines I use.
Old 2007-10-17, 11:01   Link #295
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
You might need to edit the "kernel" command line in grub to add a parameter or two.
Oh, yeah, I got that with a laptop I was trying to fix at a free software event around here (Ubuntu though). I remember having to add noapic and vga=791, but I guess it depends on the monitor.

@grey_moon: The RC has been pulled off the site already.

Old 2007-10-17, 11:06   Link #296
grey_moon

@SS - Thanks for the info, but I've just finished work and am slurping Ubuntu right now. I'll have to give it a whirl on a virtual machine later. I really wanted to try all these distros to my lappie as i know lots of its components are not Linux friendly. Normally the wireless (rt2500) and the gpu (via n800) are a pain in the arse to get working. Right now its more important I get my laptop up and running as it holds all my ssh keys and pgp sigs for my emails.

@WK - The pool address from what I gather holds all the current images, which means it could be the actual release waiting to go. Just checked the Ubuntu forums and someone has said that the md5 sig matches the release sig

*EDIT*
Opps scratch that I was reading a thread from 2005 *cough cough*
Old 2007-10-17, 11:11   Link #297
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I make sure any laptops I need for Linux have Intel wireless (like the 3945) and Intel or nVidia graphics. Anything else tends to be a shot in the dark.
Old 2007-10-18, 07:58   Link #298
grey_moon

Ubuntu seems to be officially out now, but the MD5 sums are the same for the ISOs i grabbed from the pool address last night. So I guess I had gutsy a little bit earlier then the average bear.

Anyways I dove in the deep end and went for a full disk encrypted install. First time for me to do it and I had to use the alt installer which is text based. I thought I'd give it a bash and then nuke it today when the official version came out. But it was so easy, very smooth install and the only app missing was truecrypt, but that is the case for all the new distros.

The GUI is smooth as OpenSuSE and much better then Mandrake. Very very nice.

Only thing that might confuse a non techie is how to have a single sign on with multiple encrypted drives; but thats not too difficult and i'll knock up a how to if anyone on asf wants it.

So ease of installation on par with OpenSuSE, but OpenSuSE is more flexible. But since it can do full disk encryption from the get go Ubuntu wins.

Has more apps in the repos then OpenSuSE so wins there too.

Other then that I've enjoyed using both distros. I'm pretty sad that I couldn't give Fedora a bash on my lappie and have a fairer comparison. But it would have defiantly lost on the ease of installation scoring.

Oh keep in mind that this is all based on my old Fujitsu Siemens lappie and it isn't very Linux friendly
Old 2007-10-18, 08:00   Link #299
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I'm already upgrading my PC so I can't do a fresh install comparison... but it's taking quite a long damn time 12 hours till upgrade finishes...

Old 2007-10-18, 08:07   Link #300
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm already upgrading my PC so I can't do a fresh install comparison... but it's taking quite a long damn time 12 hours till upgrade finishes...
There were several thousand people waiting for in on the Ubuntu forums from last night till now. The were hammering it, and each time I went back to it, it had grown a few pages

I guess you will be contending with them for the upgrade

I am so glad I grabbed mine last night hee hee

Any suggestions on an FTP client for Ubuntu please?

Tags
linux, ubuntu