AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-11-24, 18:20   Link #3501
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Don't forget that it is confirmed that Beatrice already owns the gold. So the three gold bars in Ep2 are more easily explained with Beatrice showing them the proof that the gold exists.

This also gives a fair explanation of where the money in the bank accounts came from. The only other possible explanation is that those money come from Kinzo's wealth, maybe a secret account that Krauss is not aware of. I doubt that Shannon could have get that many money, and certainly the adults aren't in a situation that allowed them to relinquish 2 billions of yen.

The bank accounts and the letters sent the day before constitute one of the major flaws in the George culprit theory.
I had thought that they could be merely part of Kinzo's will. A way to let everyone get a part of his money as a "parting gift", but this doesn't make much sense. The problem is the "senders" are the relatives that didn't participate in the family meeting and the "receivers" are all people who died or went missing.
It was made in a way that the real receivers are the ones listed as senders. We know three of them: Ange, Nanjo's son, and Kumasawa's son.

Apparently Beatrice didn't write letters based on the number of people on Rokkenjima, else Ange would have received 3 letters and not just one. And she probably considered only the closest relatives, else Nanjo's son would be in possession of a second letter directed to Nanjo's granddaughter.

So how come Nanjo's son said he has seen 20 different vaults?

Krauss, Battler, Jessica, George, Eva, Kinzo, Hideyoshi, shouldn't have any close relative alive, so there shouldn't be any letter sent with their name as the receiver.

Kyrie might have been used to send a letter to Kasumi or her father, but it's doubtful. Rosa or Maria to Maria's father. though in either case one of them wasn't used.

Kanon and Shannon are orphan or disowned do they have any relative? I guess it is still possible that they have them but it is unlikely.

Then we are left with Genji, Natsuhi, Gohda, and for them it can only work provided they have brothers and sisters.

Nanjo and Kumasawa might also have other close relatives beside the two known.

I think the calculation isn't quite right unless someone has a lot of brothers and sisters, and I mean more than the average.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 18:22   Link #3502
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
The stakes, as implied by Episode 4, were probably added to the corpses after death. It doesn't even have to be the killer who adds the stakes later on, it could just be someone who wants top profit from the murders, recreating the legend of Beatrice.
I'd think that, for most of the games, the killer and the staker are one and the same, given the way the victim's injuries match the epitaph.

The only game where this is not true is Ep4.

(Also, the stakes can easily be weapons, as I continue to state. They're sharp enough to kill, just not sharp enough to stab people in the head with.)

Quote:
many things about 'living Kinzo' just don't seem to add up.
Don't forget that most of what we see of Kinzo is actually 'Goldsmith', Kinzo's magical ghost duplicate thing... I doubt much of anything he's ever said is representative of the real Kinzo, and everything else we hear about him is from his children, all of whom hate him.

Fact is we know very little real, concrete information about the guy, other than perhaps the history Genji gives us.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 18:26   Link #3503
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

If you look at the Goldsmith of Ep5, I don't really think it can be said that he hates his family. Maybe disappointed, yes, certainly. But Battler solving the epitaph made him ecstatic, proving that what he truly wishes for is not an ending where everyone dies, and that it is perfectly fine for him that the gold gets found.

Old 2009-11-24, 18:29   Link #3504
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
If you look at the Goldsmith of Ep5, I don't really think it can be said that he hates his family. Maybe disappointed, yes, certainly. But Battler solving the epitaph made him ecstatic, proving that what he truly wishes for is not an ending where everyone dies, and that it is perfectly fine for him that the gold gets found.
Well, like I said, how much of the stuff Goldsmith says is really representative of how Kinzo thought when he was alive?

For that matter, what the hell is Goldsmith, anyway? I'm not quite sure whether or not he's just an illusion or a being on the same level as, say, Ronove and Gaap.
Old 2009-11-24, 18:36   Link #3505
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

That kinzo was destroyed in court remember by one of the witches I think, it was a delusion of Natsuhi.
Old 2009-11-24, 18:39   Link #3506
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor .A. Nox View Post
That kinzo was destroyed in court remember by one of the witches I think, it was a delusion of Natsuhi.
I know he shows up in scenes Natsuhi isn't present for, though.

Remember that I have yet to play Ep5.
Old 2009-11-24, 18:40   Link #3507
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

That I did not know lol
Old 2009-11-24, 18:45   Link #3508
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor .A. Nox View Post
That I did not know lol
That's fine, fine. I've read most of the summaries, so I have a general idea of what happened, but as for the details...
Old 2009-11-24, 18:48   Link #3509
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Well, like I said, how much of the stuff Goldsmith says is really representative of how Kinzo thought when he was alive?

For that matter, what the hell is Goldsmith, anyway? I'm not quite sure whether or not he's just an illusion or a being on the same level as, say, Ronove and Gaap.
The only scene that can be trusted regarding Kinzo outside of episode 5 is the 1967 flash back because of "those two actually had a conversation like that in this place."

It's interesting that they completely cut it out of the anime...
Old 2009-11-24, 18:49   Link #3510
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
The only scene that can be trusted regarding Kinzo outside of episode 5 is the 1967 flash back because of "those two actually had a conversation like that in this place."
So that's the only real gauge we have of his personality. One scene. Where he is creeping on a girl who is most likely his daughter.

Great man, indeed.
Old 2009-11-24, 18:50   Link #3511
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

Quote:
That's fine, fine. I've read most of the summaries, so I have a general idea of what happened, but as for the details...
I just read the summaries too.....details are probably going to turn this around when the patch is released and someone does a complete summary. -too poor to get the episodes one at a time-
Old 2009-11-24, 18:52   Link #3512
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The minute I can get my hands on that translation patch, I'll be digging for little details.

In the meantime I've been reading a lot of mysteries, trying to work on my detecting ability.
Old 2009-11-24, 19:01   Link #3513
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
I'd think that, for most of the games, the killer and the staker are one and the same, given the way the victim's injuries match the epitaph.

The only game where this is not true is Ep4.

(Also, the stakes can easily be weapons, as I continue to state. They're sharp enough to kill, just not sharp enough to stab people in the head with.)
Yet why would the killer resolve to using a stake to kill in the 2 only possible twilights where their hittingspot is actually deadly AND can be performed without a device propelling them into the body.
Those only two instances are 胸を抉りて殺せ (gouge the chest and kill) and 腹を抉りて殺せ (gouge the stomach and kill).
As you said, the head is unlikely to be pierced by such a weapon wielded with bare hands and the others spots aren't likely to be instantly deadly, they are even treatable.

Of course I also think it is very probable for the staker to be at least a helper to the actual culprit (this would explain why Beatrice/Eva-Beatrice) orders the stakes to pierce the bodies after death. Yet it is not true that the Episode 4 is the only game where the wounds match the epitaph.
Actually the only twilight with matching wounds is 頭 (head), 胸 (chest) and 腹 (stomach), which is no wonder that they are aims of for example a gun considering that those are deadly spots...it would explain to a large extent why there is always a mess-up between the order we saw people die as twilights and how they appeared in the listing.
For example in Episode 2's twilights involving Shannon, George and Gohda, Gohda was the second of them to become a twilight, even though he died first and George and Shannon were shown dying together. If the staker has no idea in what order people died, he just uses the wounds he finds on corpses around the island and sticks the stakes in the right places.

Quote:
Don't forget that most of what we see of Kinzo is actually 'Goldsmith', Kinzo's magical ghost duplicate thing... I doubt much of anything he's ever said is representative of the real Kinzo, and everything else we hear about him is from his children, all of whom hate him.

Fact is we know very little real, concrete information about the guy, other than perhaps the history Genji gives us.
That is true. The only thing we know is that up till some point in 1985 there existed a man named Ushiromiya Kinzo on Rokkenjima, who is the father/grandfather of certain people on the island.
That exactly is the problem I see with Kinzo...so far we've only seen Goldsmith and Natsuhi's Kinzo, the closest we came to real Kinzo were to instances.
One was the memory of Eva, which may be tainted, but I see no reason for her to lie to herself about her father denying her her wishes.
The other is the conversation between a girl resembling the later designed portrait of a female (who is said to be Beatrice) and Kinzo in the garden of Kuwadorian.
Everything else is of course only second hand information.

Quote:
That remains a really, really good question.
I still have this odd image in my mind of the culprit pulling a stuffed Kinzo corpse along...even though this is highly unlikely, the only thing that was said is, that everyone in the dining room in Episode 4 saw Kinzo, I think it was never actually put into words that it was Kinzo who was telling them about his plans.
So I think Goldsmith is another representation of the culprit, similar to Schoolgirl Beatrice and Eva-Beatrice...so to say he is 'Kinzo-Beatrice' in a way, partly because of what Eva-Beatrice was told about what made her the next Beatrice.
Old 2009-11-24, 19:21   Link #3514
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Yet it is not true that the Episode 4 is the only game where the wounds match the epitaph.
I said that Ep4 is the only game where the wounds don't match the epitaph.
Old 2009-11-24, 19:24   Link #3515
Kaiba

Quote:
So how come Nanjo's son said he has seen 20 different vaults?
Don't rememebr well, but was it 20 vaults or 20 vaults with the green light on them? Because if it's the former, than I would argue that the room in and of itself is a secret depository for stuff in general, with the green light vaults being the one used by the Rokkenjima group or whatever.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 19:33   Link #3516
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
A112 was one of those safes that were marked. ......By the way, there were several other safes marked with a green lamp besides that one. I think there were at least 20. There might even have been more in the other corner.
That would be pretty sad if the whole bank only had 20 in total XD

Old 2009-11-24, 21:58   Link #3517
chronotrig

Okay, new interview from Ryuukishi. I'm not going to translate the whole thing here for various reasons, but a couple of interesting things popped up.

Not the least of which is the crushing of most of my gold text theory

Spoiler for Ryuukishi post-EP5 interview:

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 22:19   Link #3518
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Okay, new interview from Ryuukishi. I'm not going to translate the whole thing here for various reasons, but a couple of interesting things popped up.

Not the least of which is the crushing of most of my gold text theory

Spoiler for Ryuukishi post-EP5 interview:
The "Answer"?

He might be bullshitting, he might not. I'm too tired to judge it for now.

I wonder if Battler will murder himself as part of the first twilight?
Workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 23:04   Link #3519
luckyssol

Quote:
In EP5, the game stopped shortly after Hideyoshi's corspe was discovered, but people who know the "answer" should be able to predict what happens next in the second twilight and beyond.
We can predict the order of the serial murders with only 7 of the 13 victims known? So it's just a function where you pick 6 names and the remaining 7 are then given in order.

Quote:
If you know the "answer", you should be able to understand what gold text is, what conditions it can be used in, and whether it's stronger than red text or not. If someone knows the answer of the game, they can use the gold even if they aren't the Game Master.
Ah, thanks for destroying my gold truth theory completely.

Quote:
"Land of the golden witch"
Episode 6 title?

Quote:
Spoiler for The dreaded 'Land of the golden witch':
I'll have to think about 'Land of the golden witch'. I don't really have a clue right now.
Old 2009-11-24, 23:29   Link #3520
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

What is this "Land of the Golden Witch" thing he was talking about? I'm not aware of what he's talking about.

I'm also not sure what you guys are saying about his gold text hint that makes it "destroy" your theories. I'm really not seeing anything here but his usual puffery. He talks a pretty good game, but I think he has way more confidence in people's ability to figure out things based on the information he's provided than he thinks he's revealed himself.

I understand where he's coming from; I ran a few D&D campaigns with some pretty over-complex plots. My players were really smart, but they just didn't notice things I thought they would because I was stringing together hints that were obvious to me but inconsequential to them.

To use Umineko as an example: Let's say I really wanted everybody to suspect Kumasawa, because the person I was really setting up as the villain was Hideyoshi and I wanted to surprise them. But what wound up happening instead was that people focused on, say, Krauss as the "obvious" suspect. They didn't do so for terrible reasons or anything, they just weren't seeing the dots I had laid out and then connecting them the way I would have thought to connect them if it had been me.

That sort of thing just happens. Although I do wonder just who it is who has solved 98% of the epitaph and who is close to the "answer."
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote